Pelicans Report

Thread: Lost in all this Boogie Cousins

Lost in all this Boogie Cousins

Yeah Cousins was back last night and per reports did not want to talk to anyone last night. Perhaps he is realizing now if he does not get the ring he just lost a ton of money and gave up his bird rights. LOL.

Do you feel sorry for him?

I don’t LOL

No, but I understand where he is coming from. He gave his all to try and win a game and he ended up destroying his achilles. You’d expect your team to stand by you and bet on you (we didn’t and we had every right not to considering the severity of the injury). It just didn’t work out. It’s all a bit sad really. AD probably would have stayed if Boogie never got injured. Shieet just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    No, but I understand where he is coming from. He gave his all to try and win a game and he ended up destroying his achilles. You’d expect your team to stand by you and bet on you (we didn’t and we had every right not to considering the severity of the injury). It just didn’t work out. It’s all a bit sad really. AD probably would have stayed if Boogie never got injured. Shieet just happens.
    We offered him 8 times more than he got from Golden State, and he refused it. We offered that before the season even ended, before we could possibly know what he would be worth in free agency (which turned out to be a minimum). He has no right to be grumpy when we offered him literally $40m and he had a sulking fit and ran off to Golden State so they could gift him a legacy he hasn't earned.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We offered him 8 times more than he got from Golden State, and he refused it. We offered that before the season even ended, before we could possibly know what he would be worth in free agency (which turned out to be a minimum). He has no right to be grumpy when we offered him literally $40m and he had a sulking fit and ran off to Golden State so they could gift him a legacy he hasn't earned.
    Thanks for saving me the time.

all facts
    I'm a grinder

We offered him $40 million over 2 years. He wanted more. Can’t say I blame him. He wanted length, and we offered him an Oscar Meyer foot long.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    We offered him $40 million over 2 years. He wanted more. Can’t say I blame him. He wanted length, and we offered him an Oscar Meyer foot long.
    No. He wanted a player option on the 2nd year. We wanted a team option. We didn't want him to be walk after rehabbing for a year at 20m dollars.

If I remember correctly his final offer to the team was something like 2yr/45m. But this was after we had seem his market was completely dry. I could be wrong but that's from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. He wanted a player option on the 2nd year. We wanted a team option. We didn't want him to be walk after rehabbing for a year at 20m dollars.

If I remember correctly his final offer to the team was something like 2yr/45m. But this was after we had seem his market was completely dry. I could be wrong but that's from my memory.
    I do not remember him countering the 2/$40. I thought he basically turned it down and stopped communicating (basically started pouting and looking for another team).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I do not remember him countering the 2/$40. I thought he basically turned it down and stopped communicating (basically started pouting and looking for another team).
    That’s how I remember it as well. He wanted more than 2 years, and we essentially have him the bird.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Given that we pretty much didn't expect much from him this season, and he hasn't really done much. We were giving him $40 mil guaranteed for what would really amount to just one season worth of quality basketball from him.

He has the GALL to feel disrespected? I mean, what words could Dell have possibly said to cause this absurd reaction? Because unless he really is way dumber than we thought, the offer couldn't have been a problem for him.

Heeey, I agree with you! wow

Boogie basically paid 15 million dollars for a chance at a ring this year. I hope he ends up on the Lakers next year so I can hate him more.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I'd have to go back and listen to the BSS from that time last year but I remember the player option / team option being a big sticking point and I thought someone said the last counter the Pels got being, 45m.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Given that we pretty much didn't expect much from him this season, and he hasn't really done much. We were giving him $40 mil guaranteed for what would really amount to just one season worth of quality basketball from him.

He has the GALL to feel disrespected? I mean, what words could Dell have possibly said to cause this absurd reaction? Because unless he really is way dumber than we thought, the offer couldn't have been a problem for him.
    I suck at basketball. If the Pels wanna pay be $40m to embarrass myself for a year, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

I mean Cousins isn't known for his rational behavior.

I mean Cousins isn't known for his rational behavior.
    Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if he realised as FA arrived that he would never get that $40m anywhere else, and decided to throw away the money just to spite the Pelicans. Which obviously doesn't hurt us at all, and only hurts himself. It's completely irrational, but it's exactly what he'd do.

Fire and ice, indeed.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if he realised as FA arrived that he would never get that $40m anywhere else, and decided to throw away the money just to spite the Pelicans. Which obviously doesn't hurt us at all, and only hurts himself. It's completely irrational, but it's exactly what he'd do.

Fire and ice, indeed.
    I can atleast respect that Cousins is a man of principle. Not many people would walk away from that money out of spite. Even if it's irrational and stupid, he felt slighted and so he was petty enough to actually turn down millions just to stick it to the team.

AD on the other hand, he is just a beta **********. Even his passive aggressive "the shirt was just there so I wore it" was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. He's so afraid of people not liking him but instead people just laugh at him because of how weak he looks.

I can atleast respect that Cousins is a man of principle. Not many people would walk away from that money out of spite. Even if it's irrational and stupid, he felt slighted and so he was petty enough to actually turn down millions just to stick it to the team.

AD on the other hand, he is just a beta **********. Even his passive aggressive "the shirt was just there so I wore it" was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. He's so afraid of people not liking him but instead people just laugh at him because of how weak he looks.
    The thing that strikes me is that Cousins is stupid and irrational, but he's not a coward. AD strikes me as the reverse: he seems fairly smart, but he's just a real wimp.

The thing that strikes me is that Cousins is stupid and irrational, but he's not a coward. AD strikes me as the reverse: he seems fairly smart, but he's just a real wimp.
    That's a good way of putting it.

Has any other allstar had a worse PR season than AD in recent memory? Lamar Odom maybe?

Beginning of the season AD "I'm the best player in the league" end of season AD "I don't pick my own shirts"

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Has any other allstar had a worse PR season than AD in recent memory? Lamar Odom maybe?

Beginning of the season AD "I'm the best player in the league" end of season AD "I don't pick my own shirts"
    Lol. That is AD’s own fault. I hope he rots in NBA purgatory and we land a king’s ransom for him.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.

AD the Theon Greyjoy of the NBA

Fire and ice, indeed.
    It hurt both of us. Sure we have the money (that we were going to pay him) to sign other guys, but what was the cost. A guy who was friends with AD is poisoning the well, and by jettisoning him we only drove a wedge into the AD relationship that is hurting us today.

I don’t blame Boogie though. I would bet on myself for a year rather than take that $40M offer. His game wasn’t going to suffer from the injury (he isn’t the flash), and he is showing he hasn’t missed a beat since hitting the court with his new team (who are going to roll the West in no small part due to Boogie’s presence).

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

Very true. AD was worried about his marketability and how much he could make it big, and yet these shenanigans have done more damage to his reputation than any amount of time spent in Nola.

... he is showing he hasn’t missed a beat since hitting the court with his new team (who are going to roll the West in no small part due to Boogie’s presence).
    Not sure about that. He has done well, but he appears even slower than before if that is possible. His 3 point shot has disappeared. However, his real worth will be with matchups in the post season.

It hurt both of us. Sure we have the money (that we were going to pay him) to sign other guys, but what was the cost. A guy who was friends with AD is poisoning the well, and by jettisoning him we only drove a wedge into the AD relationship that is hurting us today.

I don’t blame Boogie though. I would bet on myself for a year rather than take that $40M offer. His game wasn’t going to suffer from the injury (he isn’t the flash), and he is showing he hasn’t missed a beat since hitting the court with his new team (who are going to roll the West in no small part due to Boogie’s presence).
    That's just not true, sorry to say. We know that we didn't put the full court press on Cousins, at least partially because AD didn't care if he got let go. It's very easy to imagine a world in which AD knew he was leaving even then, and told us not to resign Cousins because he didn't want his friend locked in here while he leaves. That could also very easily NOT be true, but it's a possibility we have to consider.

Boogie has missed like, 40 beats though since getting back on the court. He has been bad. The Warriors are several times worse when he's on the court than when he isn't. His jumper is gone. Almost completely. It's bad.

Thread Information