Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tatum & Zion Possibility?

Trade Idea Tatum & Zion Possibility?

Thoughts on the possibility of the Pelicans trading AD to Boston for Tatum and pick(s) then packaging first round picks for #1 to get Zion?

Worth it? Insane? Why would it work? Why wouldn't it work? Thanks for the discussion!

No one is going to take some mid 1sts for the 1st overall. Not this season, not ever

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    No one is going to take some mid 1sts for the 1st overall. Not this season, not ever
    Can't say never based on not knowing exactly where the ping pong balls land...yet. Right? Besides what if Boston send two 1sts and package that with NOLA's first. Three first rounders not worth the move up? Especially if they are upper mid-level? I mean the Saints DID trade an entire draft to move up to get Ricky Williams..>sigh<

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Thoughts on the possibility of the Pelicans trading AD to Boston for Tatum and pick(s) then packaging first round picks for #1 to get Zion?

Worth it? Insane? Why would it work? Why wouldn't it work? Thanks for the discussion!
    We would have to give our 2021 1st Rd also.

Can't say never based on not knowing exactly where the ping pong balls land...yet. Right? Besides what if Boston send two 1sts and package that with NOLA's first. Three first rounders not worth the move up? Especially if they are upper mid-level? I mean the Saints DID trade an entire draft to move up to get Ricky Williams..>sigh<
    I don't think anyone gives up Zion for the 13th, 20th, and 22nd picks. And that's what Boston has this year.
    Basketball.

Is not a strong draft at all. 2nd would have to be included to even have a shot at getting the 1st and we should probably just take Morant in that case anyway

Is not a strong draft at all. 2nd would have to be included to even have a shot at getting the 1st and we should probably just take Morant in that case anyway
    Assuming that we NEEDED to get Zion, the only possible way I could think of doing it would be for our pick to jump into the top 4, and then trade it + all three Boston picks, plus a future first of ours.

And once it gets to the point where you're trading the 3rd, 13th, 20th, and 22nd picks, + a 2021 first, just for one player, you've got to step back and ask yourself if what you're doing is ridiculous.

Good point!

Whoever gets the #1 pick will take Zion... if for nothing else he'll sell tickets. They're not trading the pick but its fun to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Whoever gets the #1 pick will take Zion... if for nothing else he'll sell tickets. They're not trading the pick but its fun to dream.
    Agreed unless it's NYC. They have a legitimate reason to move him for AD. If Phoenix or Atlanta or someone like that gets him though, he's staying there.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    This isn’t the NFL. Top picks depending on who is there are almost unattainable.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    This isn’t the NFL. Top picks depending on who is there are almost unattainable.
    What's the list of teams who could be reasonably considered to be open to trading the #1 this summer?

1) NYC - the dream of adding AD to a mixture containing Kyrie, or Durant, or both, could be extremely enticing. Zion doesn't fit that timeline which would be an immediate championship contender.
    2) Atlanta Hawks - they could potentially trade John Collins + #1 for AD, because they would still have Trae Young and the pick they recieve from Dallas. Depending on where the Dallas pick falls, they could see Collins + Zion as worth trading for AD, considering the pairing of Trae and AD would be extremely promising and they'd still have a possible top 4 pick.
    3) Washington - They're capped out beyond belief. They could be willing to ship off the number 1 pick for AD in the hopes that AD/Wall/Beal would salvage something for them in the Wall era and prevent them from being a lottery team next year as well.
    4) Los Angeles - They could be eager enough for AD/Lebron pairing that they ship Zion off to us for AD. This is made more likely because they have a guarantee that AD would resign with them.

That's pretty much it. 4 teams out of 29 would possibly trade #1 for AD. And two of those (Atlanta and Washington) are very, very unlikely. Phoenix, Cleveland, Chicago, Memphis, Minnesota: none of those make the trade.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I think the value of Zion has gone up considerably since the all-star break. At the time it was reasonable to assume teams would move the pick for AD, but I'm not so sure anymore. Zion's efficiency numbers are unreal and given he'd be on a rookie contract, I think our best bet is for Knicks/Lakers/Celtics via Sacramento to land at #2.

In regards to the Lakers at #1, Rich Paul may also wind up being Zion's agent. In that scenario, I don't see how Rich Paul doesn't look at the money making potential and keeps that pick off the table for Pelicans.

We need to pray Zion doesn't decide on going the Rich Paul route.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I think the value of Zion has gone up considerably since the all-star break. At the time it was reasonable to assume teams would move the pick for AD, but I'm not so sure anymore.

We need to pray Zion doesn't decide on going the Rich Paul route.
    I understand why you would say that, but you still have to ask the question (when it comes to the Knicks) is whether they think rookie Zion is a better fit with KD and Kyrie than Anthony Davis is.

He's not. Just obviously not. He's a rookie, which is inherently a risk. He has yet to show consistent shooting. There are questions as to whether certain skills of his will translate to the league. Now, I'm big enough on him to assume that those skills WILL pass over, but if you're New York, why risk it when you could just get AD and guarantee 28/13 with 3blocks a game with zero doubt or problem?

AD + KD + Kyrie: Instant championship contention
    Zion + KD + Kyrie: Who knows? Could be amazing, but also could very much NOT be, depending on how fast Zion develops.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I agree on the NY front where they get both Kyrie + KD. But it's just not the auto trade that we once thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I agree on the NY front where they get both Kyrie + KD. But it's just not the auto trade that we once thought it was.
    Yeah, but there's a high chance that any trade will be done before the July 1st point which is when teams will be allowed to start offering contracts to players. So if NY think they have a real chance of assembling KD and Kyrie to go with AD, they have to pull the trigger on AD first to get it done, which works in our favour. Cause they know that if Boston gets AD, then there's pretty much no chance of Kyrie heading to NY, and all of the potential evaporates.

It's not automatic, sure you're right on that, but the order of deadlines actually helps us a lot in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What's the list of teams who could be reasonably considered to be open to trading the #1 this summer?

1) NYC - the dream of adding AD to a mixture containing Kyrie, or Durant, or both, could be extremely enticing. Zion doesn't fit that timeline which would be an immediate championship contender.
    2) Atlanta Hawks - they could potentially trade John Collins + #1 for AD, because they would still have Trae Young and the pick they recieve from Dallas. Depending on where the Dallas pick falls, they could see Collins + Zion as worth trading for AD, considering the pairing of Trae and AD would be extremely promising and they'd still have a possible top 4 pick.
    3) Washington - They're capped out beyond belief. They could be willing to ship off the number 1 pick for AD in the hopes that AD/Wall/Beal would salvage something for them in the Wall era and prevent them from being a lottery team next year as well.
    4) Los Angeles - They could be eager enough for AD/Lebron pairing that they ship Zion off to us for AD. This is made more likely because they have a guarantee that AD would resign with them.

That's pretty much it. 4 teams out of 29 would possibly trade #1 for AD. And two of those (Atlanta and Washington) are very, very unlikely. Phoenix, Cleveland, Chicago, Memphis, Minnesota: none of those make the trade.
    Don't see Atlanta trading Zion for AD. Zion fits their rebuild timeline much better and continues the excitement of the young team. I would love Collins and Zion for AD, but do not see any way they would consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't see Atlanta trading Zion for AD. Zion fits their rebuild timeline much better and continues the excitement of the young team. I would love Collins and Zion for AD, but do not see any way they would consider that.
    That's why I said that they were ''very, very unlikely'' at the end. I think there is a perspective for them that says Trae + AD + their other high value pick will help kick-start their rebuild and give them a big name talent who is proven on an NBA level which is helpful, but it's probably not going to be the perspective they actually have. You're right when you say Zion fits their timeline, and obviously he does bring a lot of hype as well.

Yeah, but there's a high chance that any trade will be done before the July 1st point which is when teams will be allowed to start offering contracts to players. So if NY think they have a real chance of assembling KD and Kyrie to go with AD, they have to pull the trigger on AD first to get it done, which works in our favour. Cause they know that if Boston gets AD, then there's pretty much no chance of Kyrie heading to NY, and all of the potential evaporates.

It's not automatic, sure you're right on that, but the order of deadlines actually helps us a lot in this.
    Yeah. You know, even our local media (which is really weak when it comes to Pels) (alternate media excluded-BirdWrites , Locked in Pels & BBS.) is reporting incorrect information. They are pushing the "Pels can't do anything until new season starts July 1) Its as if they have no idea that this only applies to FA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Yeah. You know, even our local media (which is really weak when it comes to Pels) (alternate media excluded-BirdWrites , Locked in Pels & BBS.) is reporting incorrect information. They are pushing the "Pels can't do anything until new season starts July 1) Its as if they have no idea that this only applies to FA's.
    We would have to wait until July 1st for Boston, that much is true. But if the lottery happens and NY gets the #1 pick and they decide to give us that in a trade, then we can make THAT trade (or any number of other trades) much earlier. And of course, trades can always be agreed upon in principle before being executed later.

We would have to wait until July 1st for Boston, that much is true. But if the lottery happens and NY gets the #1 pick and they decide to give us that in a trade, then we can make THAT trade (or any number of other trades) much earlier. And of course, trades can always be agreed upon in principle before being executed later.
    Correct. Teams can make trades w/ any player on a team that is no longer playing. And , said player is under contract next year.

What is the context of this?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What is the context of this?

This is the initial list that Carter gave the ''general thesis'' for, that Shamit agreed with.

Just want to add that I DON'T think that Dallas trade Zion for AD. I think they would take Porzingis + Doncic + Zion as their future.

Interesting. I also found this-

Mason Ginsberg (@MasonGinsberg)

4/4/19, 3:03 PM
    Inspired by ⁦‪@Carter_Shade‬⁩: here's a "Zion to the Pelicans Probability Table" I just quickly threw together (tried to be conservative) based on the current lottery odds (if the season ended today): pic.twitter.com/HJUt5KYsun

Getting the #1 pick is probably the only think that gets the Lakers a spot back at the table for AD.

Thread Information