Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Over/Under Wednesday 12pm For Gentry Announcement

There does not appear to be a "home run" candidate. All have their positives and negatives. Personally, I was hoping we would interview Zarren, but maybe he was too much of a longshot or was not interested. Both Griffin and Ferry has their warts. So, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Basketball Guru
    if you give gentry some 3 and D players that like to play uptempo then we will have a high scoring and fun team that will win games and have us in the playoffs this up coming season....give gentry a strong 10 man rotation and the team can compete....

we had a high scoring offense at the beginning of the season and gentry was only using a 8 man rotation and hill and miller was not giving us anything on offense at that time so gentry had a 6 man scoring machine that was scoring over 100pts....if gentry stays then the GM has to give the man his type of players to succeed......no one can deny the high scoring offense he can produce when he has the players he need....give the man talent and sit back and enjoy the ride.....

AD killed this playoff season for us...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    if you give gentry some 3 and D players that like to play uptempo then we will have a high scoring and fun team that will win games and have us in the playoffs this up coming season....give gentry a strong 10 man rotation and the team can compete....

we had a high scoring offense at the beginning of the season and gentry was only using a 8 man rotation and hill and miller was not giving us anything on offense at that time so gentry had a 6 man scoring machine that was scoring over 100pts....if gentry stays then the GM has to give the man his type of players to succeed......no one can deny the high scoring offense he can produce when he has the players he need....give the man talent and sit back and enjoy the ride.....

AD killed this playoff season for us...
    I don't think anyone has ever denied that Gentry can construct a high scoring offense.

The question is whether he can construct a good defense, and whether he can win. The answer on those seems to be no.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever denied that Gentry can construct a high scoring offense.

The question is whether he can construct a good defense, and whether he can win. The answer on those seems to be no.

he has a defensive coach so some of that falls on erman....and last season the team showed that they can play defense...defense is effort and thats on the players....the only turn over from last season team is payton and randal over rondo so we had the same team that shut the blazers down but i believe that when AD signed with rich paul, the players knew he was not going to be here and believed that he would be traded before the deadline and it was every man for themselves because some didnt know if they were going to be traded also so it was all about getting theirs with just padding the offensive stats........like i said, AD killed this playoff season because the same players were here that played good defense last season....randal was playing decent defense until things start falling apart......and if you give gentry the players he need,,he wins...

majority of people on this board has been saying that houston will loose in the first round because they dont play defense and those people has been proven wrong every time....defense is effort and houston was giving enough effort playing defense to win...thats on the players.........we was a top 4 scoring offensive team and that should of had us in the playoff race....i believe that the players knew before AD made his trade talk that he was leaving and they didnt care and was all about their selves and didnt care about defense because this same team was good and played defense last season.....the players get majority of the blame for the lack of defensive effort........gentry can win with the right players who care because he won last season and should have been in the playoffs this season......if he stays, just give him the right players who want to be here and we will have success....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    he has a defensive coach so some of that falls on erman....and last season the team showed that they can play defense...defense is effort and thats on the players....the only turn over from last season team is payton and randal over rondo so we had the same team that shut the blazers down but i believe that when AD signed with rich paul, the players knew he was not going to be here and believed that he would be traded before the deadline and it was every man for themselves because some didnt know if they were going to be traded also so it was all about getting theirs with just padding the offensive stats........like i said, AD killed this playoff season because the same players were here that played good defense last season....randal was playing decent defense until things start falling apart......and if you give gentry the players he need,,he wins...

majority of people on this board has been saying that houston will loose in the first round because they dont play defense and those people has been proven wrong every time....defense is effort and houston was giving enough effort playing defense to win...thats on the players.........we was a top 4 scoring offensive team and that should of had us in the playoff race....i believe that the players knew before AD made his trade talk that he was leaving and they didnt care and was all about their selves and didnt care about defense because this same team was good and played defense last season.....the players get majority of the blame for the lack of defensive effort........gentry can win with the right players who care because he won last season and should have been in the playoffs this season......if he stays, just give him the right players who want to be here and we will have success....
    A lot of this is just your opinion, and that's totally fine, we'll have to agree to disagree. I see last season as more of a condemnation of Gentry than a defense: a short period of time in which everyone was exceptional was what was required for Gentry's system to look good. Maybe that works in Golden State where you have three all stars, but on most teams you don't get that kind of production. If your system only works when you have an entire roster firing in all cylinders on both ends at all times, your system is broken. As for players playing hard, part of that is on the coach. Coach Pop manages to get everyone to play hard on D. Sure it's unfair to compare almost any coach to Pop, but it's just an example: if the entire team is giving up on D, maybe that's a sign that there's an issue with the system.

Maybe that's all Erman's fault instead of Gentry, sure. But then it's Gentry's fault for continuing to have Erman constructing the defense. At the end of the day, the coach has some input on his staff, and if he refuses to fix the issues within his control then he's responsible for them.

Also, the idea that Randle was playing decent defense is a joke, frankly. The biggest knock on him all season has been his absolute disregard on defense. Even people who love Randle more than me because of his awesome offense have admitted that his defense sucks. They just don't think it matters. Which is fine, but don't pretend the issue isn't there.

I'm with 6ward.

Defense is effort and motivation. AD absolutely destroyed that. And he destroyed it months before his trade request. It was after the Payton injury and he went to eat with LeBron. You could see it in the team. Morale dipped insanely low. Once that happened, the D was not ever going to solidify with how our morale went.

Over/ Under this boards tears are the lubrication that will glide Gentrys Pelicans into the playoffs next year?

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm with 6ward.

Defense is effort and motivation. AD absolutely destroyed that. And he destroyed it months before his trade request. It was after the Payton injury and he went to eat with LeBron. You could see it in the team. Morale dipped insanely low. Once that happened, the D was not ever going to solidify with how our morale went.
    Sure.

Does that also count for the first 50 games of last season?

Or the year before that?

Or the year before that?

We've had no consistent defense during the Gentry era. Sometimes it's been good, sometimes it's been bad. Usually bad. Our defense goes as our players go, sure, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Look at good defensive teams. If you build a system that dies in disgrace just because one guy can't be bothered today, and you can never adjust it, then your system is garbage.

Connections with LA

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sure.

Does that also count for the first 50 games of last season?

Or the year before that?

Or the year before that?

We've had no consistent defense during the Gentry era. Sometimes it's been good, sometimes it's been bad. Usually bad. Our defense goes as our players go, sure, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Look at good defensive teams. If you build a system that dies in disgrace just because one guy can't be bothered today, and you can never adjust it, then your system is garbage.
    Tied for 8th in team defense 2017-2018

Consistently in the 20's every other year

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Connections with LA

Not sure I see the connection with Gentry/Pelicans.

If had not happened yet. It’s not happening. Gentry stays. Ferry is the GM.

Presser probably will be after the Masters & Horse Racing
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-11-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Tied for 8th in team defense 2017-2018

Consistently in the 20's every other year
    Consistently in the 20s is not good. At all. But what I mean is more within seasons, there's an up and down pattern. We'll play good defense for a dozen games, then awful defense for a dozen games. Doesn't appear to matter who is injured or who is in the lineups. That's a bad thing. That reflects very poorly on Gentry.

Thread Information