Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: April 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Sacramento Kings - 32-48

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Gentry clearly doesn't care about your t-word. Benching players. That's way too actively losing. Shutting down guys so they can get surgery done early. That has the added benefit of making us more likely to lose. But it fits this organization's character more to genuinely want well being to be preserved than to getting more lotto balls.

Frankly, that's all it should take. Play hard. Lose to the Kings. Their dumb selves didn't play along and took absurd shots. Oh well.
    That's the entire point half of us is making! Gentry clearly not caring!

"Way too active losing" get out of here with that nonsense. There is NO reason in a throw away season, in a throw away 2nd to last game of the year that Payton should be playing 39 minutes.

If Payton were Jrue or AD would you want him logging 39 minutes in a season and game that means nothing?

This organization's character? Character? This organization just had the best player ever to wear its uniform demand to be traded. This organization has no character. It's a rudderless ship. Tonight's game proves that.

Wrestlemania is still going on

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    BRETT BROWN.
    So are you absolutely certain that Brett Brown INTENTIONALLY lost every game in those seasons, or did it have more to do with the quality of players and their experience. I must say if a coach is INTENTIONALLY trying to loose every single game on purpose, then how the hell did he win any games? Was in INTENTIONALLY sabotaging every single game? Where is players better than their record?

Maybe the organization was intentionally tanking, but was Coach Brown intentionally tanking? If so he should have been fired every time they didn’t get the no 1 pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Washington sat Bradley Beal for a full 4th quarter tonight to ensure the loss against NYC.

Why? Cause their coach did his job properly tonight.

Is Adam Silver going to do anything to them for it? Of course not. Is ''the universe'' going to get them back for it? No. They're just going to draft 6th. That's all that will happen. And we're going to draft 9th because Alvin Gentry has the basketball IQ of a deflated car tire.
    After tonite, I don't even like Gentry as a person anymore!

When Gentry is out of job and forced into retirement I wonder if this throw away meaningless victory is going to help him sleep tonight..

I wonder if he will even remember this game 3 years from now.

The sad truth is even Gentry won't remember or care about this win in a few years. Yet some moral victory in the present is supposed to be worth screwing over our draft pick odds? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    So are you absolutely certain that Brett Brown INTENTIONALLY lost every game in those seasons, or did it have more to do with the quality of players and their experience. I must say if a coach is INTENTIONALLY trying to loose every single game on purpose, then how the hell did he win any games? Was in INTENTIONALLY sabotaging every single game? Where is players better than their record?

Maybe the organization was intentionally tanking, but was Coach Brown intentionally tanking? If so he should have been fired every time they didn’t get the no 1 pick.

No team loses 60+ games, 3 consecutive years, without some intent. Yes, Coach Brown was intentionally tanking. No, he shouldn't have been fired every time they didn't get the #1 pick, because

A) The lottery is a LOTTERY so the worst record isn't automatically granted first pick
    and
    B) The GM was ASKING him to lose, why on God's green Earth would the GM fire the coach for doing what he was asked to do?

You win some games by luck, even if you're trying to lose. No one is saying that as soon as AD demanded a trade, we should ahve gone winless. Sure, that would have been nice, but it's just not going to happen. You will eventually win one by luck.

But TONIGHT, you know, the ACTUAL GAME WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, we should have lost. We had it right there, in our hands, to lose. And Gentry decided to win it by playing Clark and Payton stupid minutes in a meaningless victory because he's a moron.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    When Gentry is out of job and forced into retirement I wonder if this throw away meaningless victory is going to help him sleep tonight..

I wonder if he will even remember this game 3 years from now.

The sad truth is even Gentry won't remember or care about this win in a few years. Yet some moral victory in the present is supposed to be worth screwing over our draft pick odds? LOL.
    A few years?

Gentry won't even remember this game by September. He'll be off doing whatever, whereas we'll be trying to work out how to do a rebuild around Coby friggin White.

So you're saying the FO is allowed to tank, but the coach, whose entire job it is, is to execute the FO's wishes, isn't allowed to tank?
    Not so sure if the FO cares about tanking anymore anyway since they pulled Randle. Randle IMO was the tank captain.

Even if he lost every single game that's still only 14% odds of getting the No. 1 pick.

Your entire argument and logic is not only lacking but even more so is asinine and sounds like the words of some middle school kid who shoots hoops on a dirt court in the hope of one day making it big in this "pure" sport of professional basketball.

Not so sure if the FO cares about tanking anymore anyway since they pulled Randle. Randle IMO was the tank captain.

If the FO doesn't care about tanking either, then Ferry can pack his bags and walk back home to Atlanta.

Yeah the organization not playing the guy that was averaging 21-9-3 was trying to win the game......

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's the entire point half of us is making! Gentry clearly not caring!

"Way too active losing" get out of here with that nonsense. There is NO reason in a throw away season, in a throw away 2nd to last game of the year that Payton should be playing 39 minutes.

If Payton were Jrue or AD would you want him logging 39 minutes in a season and game that means nothing?

This organization's character? Character? This organization just had the best player ever to wear its uniform demand to be traded. This organization has no character. It's a rudderless ship. Tonight's game proves that.
    Me and my nonsense are not going anywhere.

Oh. Gentry cares. Probably. Just not about losing. That much is clear.

No amount of incredulity and telling me to get out of here will change that I do not believe for a minute, that even Rita Benson herself would want the team to lose games on purpose. You can think she should. And maybe she should.

What I'm saying is...I don't think she is would ever say or want that. But I've no proof of that.

As for the organization's character, having no character is the problem behind everything that's happened. And you surely understand that no amount of Zion or whomever will change that. It would just be more of the same. Swap out Zion for AD in 2012 and I had the same sort of talks with raving lunatics who complained about us not throwing games. I must've posted that Dr. Manhattan gif of him destroying that military armament like a dozen times a week.

And we still got the player everyone wanted, **********. We still got Anthony Davis. And what did it matter in the end?

You are right on two things.

These games are nothing. The outcome doesn't really matter. Without any and all meaning in the grand scheme. Because without the right hires in the next few months, a win or a loss tonight won't amount to anything.

Because we are a rudderless ship. Who care if our cargo is gold from Zion if the ship is about to capsize and send it to the bottom of the ocean.

What this organization needs to become is one who is beyond that stupid T-word. Someone who can pick 9th in the lottery and have a very, very strong chance to find the right player because the team has a direction. Because our coach, GM, scouting department, president of basketball ops are all of one accord. Able to develop and hone talent.

Obviously, we won tonight. But far as draft position goes, we lost. Oh. Well. Whining about it like spoiled brats will accomplish nothing.

This win was legitimately more heartbreaking than AD asking to leave.

I feel like I felt when Cousins' ankle exploded.

Obviously, we won tonight. But far as draft position goes, we lost. Oh. Well. Whining about it like spoiled brats will accomplish nothing.
    Do you agree or disagree that Gentry should be fired as soon as the season ends?

Do you agree or disagree that, should Ferry have not instructed Gentry to tank, he should also be gone and not be the new GM?

Do you agree or disagree that Gentry should be fired as soon as the season ends?

Do you agree or disagree that, should Ferry have not instructed Gentry to tank, he should also be gone and not be the new GM?
    Tonight hasn't changed my opinion of either. My stance has always been pro-clean slate with the front office.

I'm not even married to any players on this roster for the right pieces. Though I'd only accepting dealing Jrue if it meant we were getting a freaking windfall.

Tonight hasn't changed my opinion of either. My stance has always been pro-clean slate with the front office.

I'm not even married to any players on this roster for the right pieces. Though I'd only accepting dealing Jrue if it meant we were getting a freaking windfall.
    Then as much as I think your opinion of this game and Gentry's role in this win are completely wrong, we're on the same side at the end of the day.

Gentry can get job hunting and Ferry can go with him.

We want the same things. We just feel different about the way we need to get there.

We want the same things. We just feel different about the way we need to get there.
    I had to be sure. If you said that we needed to keep Gentry, then we'd have been very much not on the same side at all. But at least you're only half-mad, instead of completely mad

I had to be sure. If you said that we needed to keep Gentry, then we'd have been very much not on the same side at all. But at least you're only half-mad, instead of completely mad
    I'm the type of person that felt that even if I did think Dell Demps wasn't fully to blame for how things turned out (which I do), that firing him was the move to make because for one reason or another, it wasn't working with him.

I'd rather cut ties too soon than too late. Like what LSU did with Les Miles. Should've ripped that bandaid off immediately. But we let it linger and it festered.

I'm the type of person that felt that even if I did think Dell Demps wasn't fully to blame for how things turned out (which I do), that firing him was the move to make because for one reason or another, it wasn't working with him.

I'd rather cut ties too soon than too late. Like what LSU did with Les Miles. Should've ripped that bandaid off immediately. But we let it linger and it festered.
    I was way to generous with Gentry, to be honest. People were calling for him to be fired at the beginning of last season, even, and I was defending him at least a little. Injuries, no real roster depth, etc etc. I even thought I was vindicated with the way last season finished off.

But this year, he's proven that it was a flash in the pan. I was wrong. We should have moved on from him a long time ago. It's time for him to go elsewhere. I don't wish ill on him or anything, I just don't want him within 500 miles of the Pelicans coaching spot.

I don't know about Gentry. He never really got a true run. Seasons were either derailed by injury to one or two of our stars or this AD mess. Same with Demps. The guys always had us in a position to do well.....only for it to get sideswiped by an outside factor. I don't think either were so great they couldn't be upgraded and do agree that with as stupid as things got, you almost have to wipe it clean....but I will always think they had this team setup for success only something else stopped it. I'm good with Ferry.

Man. This game was deflating. Here's to hoping those balls bounce our way.

We can't even tank in right way... Man oh Man...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    What are the possible outcomes now? I see we have the 9th pick now. If we lose the last game is it possible to move back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and my nonsense are not going anywhere.

Oh. Gentry cares. Probably. Just not about losing. That much is clear.

No amount of incredulity and telling me to get out of here will change that I do not believe for a minute, that even Rita Benson herself would want the team to lose games on purpose. You can think she should. And maybe she should.

What I'm saying is...I don't think she is would ever say or want that. But I've no proof of that.

As for the organization's character, having no character is the problem behind everything that's happened. And you surely understand that no amount of Zion or whomever will change that. It would just be more of the same. Swap out Zion for AD in 2012 and I had the same sort of talks with raving lunatics who complained about us not throwing games. I must've posted that Dr. Manhattan gif of him destroying that military armament like a dozen times a week.

And we still got the player everyone wanted, **********. We still got Anthony Davis. And what did it matter in the end?

You are right on two things.

These games are nothing. The outcome doesn't really matter. Without any and all meaning in the grand scheme. Because without the right hires in the next few months, a win or a loss tonight won't amount to anything.

Because we are a rudderless ship. Who care if our cargo is gold from Zion if the ship is about to capsize and send it to the bottom of the ocean.

What this organization needs to become is one who is beyond that stupid T-word. Someone who can pick 9th in the lottery and have a very, very strong chance to find the right player because the team has a direction. Because our coach, GM, scouting department, president of basketball ops are all of one accord. Able to develop and hone talent.

First, this is a game thread. Where we are actively discussing the game. Where has anyone said or implied that anything they say in one of these threads will amount to anything? No one thinks that because they post they are mad at how Gentry handled these things anything will change.

Should that mean we don't discuss anything at all since nothing we do here will matter? That's just silly. No one is attempting to accomplish anything other than venting about an absolutely idiotic situation.

Second, You don't believe the Pelicans Organization wanted to tank games and told Gentry as much? Exactly what do you think they were trying to do when they shut down Randle for tonight? What reason do you think they told Gentry when they walked up to him and say, "BTW Al, Randle isn't playing tonight"?

What exactly do you think they were trying to do when they held AD out for "back spasms"? Trading Niko for picks? You're going to seriously sit here and pretend since the moment AD announced he wanted to be traded we haven't done things as an organization to try and make the team worse and lose games? Cut it out. There is a mountain of proof showing exactly what the Pelicans Organization is trying to do.

You might not want to believe it, it might fly in the face of your opinion of how things should happen, but there's a ton of proof of exactly what the Pelicans are doing. Mrs B isn't stupid either. She knows what it means when Randle is a non injured dnp and AD sits games due to "back spasms". If at any point she was against it she'd have put an end to it.

Third, this organization is rudderless and has no character, so does that mean we should not care? Should we just give up and not even watch games? Heck why are we even fans of this team then? I'd argue because of how crappy our organization is we need all the extra help we can get to try and right the ship. It's really the only hope we have since management seems to be grossly incompetent. That includes trying to get the highest possible draft pick.

This is a league of have's and have not's. You either have a superstar or you're trying to get one. It's absolutely naive to assume any team is above tanking. It's absolutely naive to assume the same quality of player will be there at 9th that is there higher. The studies have been done, the evidence has been reviewed. The higher the draft pick the higher the odds of hitting a superstar player. This isn't a matter of just drafting better. If there isn't a star available when you pick, then that truly doesn't matter.

You want to live in some fantasy world where not playing a player is somehow different than sitting a player down during the game. That's fine, enjoy the contradictions. As for me, I'm going to live in the real world where because of some stupid person wanting a moral victory the future of the Pelicans being successful gets harder. A meaningless win at the end of the season hurts the long term future of the team. Congrats, we saved ourselves a few karma points. Let's see how well karma pays us back.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-08-2019 at 01:59 AM.

I blame the Kings for mailing it in. How did they lose to a short handed Pels squad?

Thread Information