Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: April 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Sacramento Kings - 32-48

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I haven't posted in awhile. But I had to come say that this is hands down the stupidest win ever.
    Even worse than the Dallas win. In fact, this win makes the Dallas win worse.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don't care about Ian Clark either.

But being rational is knowing that the players on the court equally don't care about the team getting Zion or draft status or what being 9th in the lotto slot means vs being 6th.. They're playing for their own futures in this league.

Getting irrationally mad at them or the coach, who is in the same predicament, is ridiculous to me.
    Amen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Tomorrow morning, I want Gentry fired. I want Ferry kicking rocks ten minutes after that. Pick a new GM, let him pick a new coach, let the new coach pick all their staff.
    I can't recall ever being this furious at such incompetence . I'm just befuddled . I truly do NOT get it.

I'll never get behind losing on purpose. I just can't even muster that much contempt for the integrity of the game.

I would feel ashamed to know our organization said to throw games for lottery balls. It'd be a disgrace. Even if we got Zion doing that, all I'd feel is he'd snap his knee in half the moment he stepped on the court. And it'd almost feel like the universe righting itself.

Shutting down our most important players in the longterm with the season totally over? I'm cool with that. Logical. Sensible.

Deliberately debasing our franchise? We don't have the luxury of that kind of negative energy floating around this organization. Not in this transitional period.
    There's 10+ teams tanking right now. The universe is going to be a little busy. I doubt it's going to get too worked up due to the last 2 games of our season. Especially when we ALREADY shut down Randle.

I'll never get behind losing on purpose. I just can't even muster that much contempt for the integrity of the game.

I would feel ashamed to know our organization said to throw games for lottery balls. It'd be a disgrace. Even if we got Zion doing that, all I'd feel is he'd snap his knee in half the moment he stepped on the court. And it'd almost feel like the universe righting itself.

Shutting down our most important players in the longterm with the season totally over? I'm cool with that. Logical. Sensible.

Deliberately debasing our franchise? We don't have the luxury of that kind of negative energy floating around this organization. Not in this transitional period.
    Got a fun fact for you.

Shutting down your most important players with the season over?

That is purposely trying to lose. What you mean is, you're okay with us trying to lose as long as we try and orchestrate that loss pre-game instead of in the middle of the action, which is frankly a distinction without function.

There's more negative energy among die-hard fans for this totally meaningless, stupid, inane victory than there would have been for a loss. Other teams have been tanking for 6 years straight over in Phoenix, and Philly spent almost the same length of time competing with itself for most disgusting season of all time. We ask to tank for what, 15 games and suddenly that's too much and coaches can't countenance it? Pull the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    Amen.

Amen- horse dung ! The coach is supposed to do what's best for the team. That means LOSE at any cost. Gentry had several ways to use quality control. He is USELESS. So, take that amen to the pew with you next Sunday.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If Gentry isn't on the same page as management do you really think he's coming back? This, Gentry was supposed to do whatever TO LOSE ! You honestly think that this win helps Gentry in any way? That's silly. He played Payton 39 minutes & had both he & Clark in at the end of the game. Gentry is a complete dill hole !
    Do I think it'll help Gentry? Hell no. Far as I'm concerned, he's already gone. Do I think Gentry would rather go out showing he can win with some also rans so he can find his way onto another team next season?

Yeah. probably. And like my other post has said. I would hate to find out the Pels brass wants us to deliberately lose, rather than incidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I can't recall ever being this furious at such incompetence . I'm just befuddled . I truly do NOT get it.
    I'm absolutely fuming.

Agree with everyone here adiós Alvin.

Do I think Gentry would rather go out showing he can win with some also rans so he can find his way onto another team next season?
    No team is going to make their decision to hire Gentry or not off the back of the 81st game of a lost season without AD, Jrue, Moore, and Randle. This game means nothing for Gentry's future job prospects. NOTHING.

I will repeat, the coaches job is to achieve the goals of the front office on the floor. If the front office wants to tank then it is Alvin Gentry's job to tank. And if the front office doesn't want to tank, then Ferry should be NOWHERE near the GM job going forward.

The idea that Gentry is going to help or hinder his future job prospects by losing or winning this game to the Kings on an obviously lost season is beyond ridicule. Nobody can make that argument seriously.
    A coaches job is to win as many games as he can. No coach worth their salt is going out on any night with the intention to loose the game. There is no difference between coaches and players on that matter. Both should do what they can within the rules to put a “W” up.

The front office handcuffed Gentry enough to loose this game. There was not a single starter quality player at Gentry’s disposal tonight, and yet this team won. That IMO is a reflection on how bad Sacramento is than anything else.

It sucks that we won, but blame it on Sacramento and their crappy play/players, and not on our players and coaches.

Do I think it'll help Gentry? Hell no. Far as I'm concerned, he's already gone. Do I think Gentry would rather go out showing he can win with some also rans so he can find his way onto another team next season?

Yeah. probably. And like my other post has said. I would hate to find out the Pels brass wants us to deliberately lose, rather than incidentally.
    Deliberately lose like sitting AD, Randle, Jrue, Jackson, trading Niko for picks? We've been deliberately trying to lose since AD announced he wanted out.

A coaches job is to win as many games as he can.
    This is 100% untrue. A coach's job is to handle the team exactly how the organization tells him to.

I'm absolutely fuming.
    You mean deliberately (like shutting AD down) oh wait, you were OK with that.
    I mean c'mon deliberately vs incidentally ? So, do it dishonestly, but don't make it obvious? Bwahahahahahahahha !

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    First, it's not irrationally mad. If anything it's too little mad. Because going from 6th to 8th (or worse) is far more important than any of these scrubs, including the coaches.

Second, I don't care what the players do. The coach should have a crystal clear directive from the organization to do whatever it takes to lose this game.
    Ain’t going to happen. Coaches are not suppose to intentionally loose games. That is how a coach will find themselves never getting a coaching gig in the NBA again.

Again, the FO handcuffed the team to where they should not have had a chance to win this game. It’s not this teams fault that Sacramento sucks.

A coaches job is to win as many games as he can. No coach worth their salt is going out on any night with the intention to loose the game. There is no difference between coaches and players on that matter. Both should do what they can within the rules to put a “W” up.

The front office handcuffed Gentry enough to loose this game. There was not a single starter quality player at Gentry’s disposal tonight, and yet this team won. That IMO is a reflection on how bad Sacramento is than anything else.

It sucks that we won, but blame it on Sacramento and their crappy play/players, and not on our players and coaches.

If a General Manager tells their coach to tank, and that coach tries to win every game anyway, that coach gets fired.

Don't pretend like coaches are never in on tanks. That's blatantly false, and I'm not hearing it. You think Brett Brown was going out for Philly actively trying to win every game? No way. Philly was tanking. It was ''The Process'' and the coach knew it and he KNEW it was his JOB to guide the team in accordance with the wishes of the management.

If Gentry was told to tank, and he actively tried to win, he deserves to lose his job. And if Gentry WASN'T told to tank, then Ferry deserves to lose his job too.

#Pelslife

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    No team is going to make their decision to hire Gentry or not off the back of the 81st game of a lost season without AD, Jrue, Moore, and Randle. This game means nothing for Gentry's future job prospects. NOTHING.
    Sucks for Gentry then.

Ain’t going to happen. Coaches are not suppose to intentionally loose games. That is how a coach will find themselves never getting a coaching gig in the NBA again.

Again, the FO handcuffed the team to where they should not have had a chance to win this game. It’s not this teams fault that Sacramento sucks.

Brett Brown.

Sucks for Gentry then.
    No, sucks for us, because Gentry just cost us the 6th pick of his own vanity.

This.

There are plenty of really GOOFBALL things said on this website & all of us are guilty, but I gotta tell ya- Your 1St sentence is the GOOFIEST take I've seen !

Again, this is 100% untrue. A coach's job is to handle the team exactly how the organization tells him to.

A coach not listening to the front office is how he finds himself looking for a new job to begin with.

This.

Refusing to play AD and Randle when they're perfectly capable of playing already is trying to lose. If you think there's a real difference between trying to lose pre-game, and trying to lose in the moment, then you're splitting meaningless hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Again, this is 100% untrue. A coach's job is to handle the team exactly how the organization tells him to.

A coach not listening to the front office is how he finds himself looking for a new job to begin with.
    Oh but Mythrol, didn't you hear? Brett Brown won less than 20 games every year on purpose, and now he can't find a job!

Oh wait, he's head coach of the back to back 50 win Sixers still, because he did was he was asked to do and tanked properly.

Thread Information