Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: April 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans VS Charlotte Hornets - 32-46

Pelicans April 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans VS Charlotte Hornets - 32-46

Feels like it's been forever since last game, but here we are again, looking to take on the Charlotte Hornets. The Hornets are currently a 35 win team, but due to the eternal gift that is ''the Eastern conference'', they are still in playoff contention. As a team that is very much not in a rebuild, Charlotte will no doubt be attempting to actually win this game, as they try to make that playoff push after losing three in a row.

Kemba had a huge game for them last time out, putting up 47 points on 54% from the floor and 50% from deep, but unfortunately for Charlotte it didn't mean anything as they lost the game. They'll definitely want to make a push after that.

As for our lottery odds, we're still looking okay. Tonight, the Bulls play the Wizards, the Mavericks play the Timberwolves, the Grizzlies play the Trailblazers, and obviously we play the Hornets. The best possible outcome of tonight looks like this:

New Orleans Pelicans lose to Charlotte Hornets
    Washington Wizards win against the Chicago Bulls
    Dallas Mavericks win against the Minnesota Timberwolves
    Memphis Grizzlies win against Portland Trailblazers.

If this happens, the Pelicans move into sole ownership of the #6 lottery spot (I believe?). However, it's unlikely that Memphis pulls out a win over Portland. If the other three games go as written, but Memphis loses to the Blazers, then the Pelicans move into sole ownership of the #7 spot, and will be 1 game behind Memphis for #6.

It's worth remembering that Dallas and Memphis play each other twice before the season ends still, and either results for either of those games are helpful to us.

So let's go and #DoItBig!
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Feels like it's been forever since last game, but here we are again, looking to take on the Charlotte Hornets. The Hornets are currently a 35 win team, but due to the eternal gift that is ''the Eastern conference'', they are still in playoff contention. As a team that is very much not in a rebuild, Charlotte will no doubt be attempting to actually win this game, as they try to make that playoff push after losing three in a row.

Kemba had a huge game for them last time out, putting up 47 points on 54% from the floor and 50% from deep, but unfortunately for Charlotte it didn't mean anything as they lost the game. They'll definitely want to make a push after that.

As for our lottery odds, we're still looking okay. Tonight, the Bulls play the Wizards, the Mavericks play the Timberwolves, the Grizzlies play the Trailblazers, and obviously we play the Hornets. The best possible outcome of tonight looks like this:

New Orleans Pelicans lose to Charlotte Hornets
    Washington Wizards win against the Chicago Bulls
    Dallas Mavericks win against the Minnesota Timberwolves
    Memphis Grizzlies win against Portland Trailblazers.

If this happens, the Pelicans move into sole ownership of the #6 lottery spot (I believe?). However, it's unlikely that Memphis pulls out a win over Portland. If the other three games go as written, but Memphis loses to the Blazers, then the Pelicans move into sole ownership of the #7 spot, and will be 1 game behind Memphis for #6.

It's worth remembering that Dallas and Memphis play each other twice before the season ends still, and either results for either of those games are helpful to us.

So let's go and #DoItBig!
    some STH's were discussing a trade scenario If PHX gets 1st or 2nd pick----
    Phx gets AD
    Pels get Bridges,Warren,Ayton & 1st rd pick.

If they get the first or second pick, that would be a great trade, I think. I don't think Phoenix do it though, at all.

If they get the first or second pick, that would be a great trade, I think. I don't think Phoenix do it though, at all.
    What about if , instead of taking their pick, we swap picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What about if , instead of taking their pick, we swap picks?
    They might be more interested in that, but I still don't think they do it.

If I'm Phoenix, I'm trying to rebuild. There's no way I, as the GM of a rebuilding team, trade a top 2 pick in the draft, plus my all-rookie centre, plus my 25 year old small forward, for a guy who's on a one year deal and the 7th pick.

They might be more interested in that, but I still don't think they do it.

If I'm Phoenix, I'm trying to rebuild. There's no way I, as the GM of a rebuilding team, trade a top 2 pick in the draft, plus my all-rookie centre, plus my 25 year old small forward, for a guy who's on a one year deal and the 7th pick.
    Personally, I don't care what Phoenix wants! Huh.

Personally, I don't care what Phoenix wants! Huh.
    Well, you kind of have to care a little bit because if they don't want to do the trade, the trade doesn't happen. I could see them doing it if they were a big FA destination, or if AD had 2 years left on his deal. But they'd essentially be bailing all their assets and the future of their rebuild on the hope that AD + Booker wins them enough games to entice AD to stay. And that duo would probably be fun to watch, but it would also win 30 games maximum, and then AD would leave and Phoenix would be forced to start over again, this time with Booker being older than is ideal for a rebuild.

Well, you kind of have to care a little bit because if they don't want to do the trade, the trade doesn't happen. I could see them doing it if they were a big FA destination, or if AD had 2 years left on his deal. But they'd essentially be bailing all their assets and the future of their rebuild on the hope that AD + Booker wins them enough games to entice AD to stay. And that duo would probably be fun to watch, but it would also win 30 games maximum, and then AD would leave and Phoenix would be forced to start over again, this time with Booker being older than is ideal for a rebuild.
    SARCASM , dae!

SARCASM , dae!
    I gathered, but I figured it was also a good opportunity for me to explain WHY I don't think Phoenix do it, so I took my chance.

Okafor with the clean block!

Okafor is looking sharp right now. Just got the offensive board and drove, little hook shot around Biyombo.

Okafor with another block! He's looking alive right now

Kenrich! Good to see a shot go down, he's been shooting really really badly recently.

Okafor with the NASTY reverse dunk on Biyombo! Damn!

That three pointer from Randle looked smooth. He seems trigger happy tonight

Malik Monk just had a brutal putback.

Yes. I'd do the Phx trade. Unfortunately I don't think Phx does the Phx trade. Even if it was for pick swaps. The hype around Zion keeps building.

I think for us to get Zion we'd either have to outright win the No. 1 or maybe if NYK gets the No. 1. Those are probably the only two ways. Maybe if the Lakers do. I don't think any other team in the lottery are in a position where they'd trade us the No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes. I'd do the Phx trade. Unfortunately I don't think Phx does the Phx trade. Even if it was for pick swaps. The hype around Zion keeps building.

I think for us to get Zion we'd either have to outright win the No. 1 or maybe if NYK gets the No. 1. Those are probably the only two ways. Maybe if the Lakers do. I don't think any other team in the lottery are in a position where they'd trade us the No. 1.
    I think NYC does it because of that potential of the Durant/Kyrie/AD trio which is obviously an immediate championship contender. You're right that alternate routes beyond our own pick and NYC seem to be pretty damn scarce. He's a hot commodity.

End of the first, we're down 24-21.

I gotta say, Bertans has been so disappointing so far.

Wizards up 6 on Chicago to start the 4th. Keeping an eye on that too.

End of the half, we're down 59-55

Wizards lost because Chasson Randle is, frankly, beyond stupid.

Guys I think Gentry is trying to win again.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We're going to win, aren't we?

Thread Information