Pelicans Report

Thread: Lets talk about the young guys

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar

Lets talk about the young guys

Just wanted to start a thread to get some discussion going on the young guys, because they are the only reason I even tune in now days.

-Stanley Johnson has actually put up some pretty solid numbers recently. Over the last 10 games he is putting up 7 PPG 2 APG 2.5 RPG on 47 FG% and 40 3FG%. He doesn't pass the eye test for me though, as he seems to just be a ball stopper who settles for mid range jumpers too often and doesn't have the passing chops to have the ball as much as he wants.

-Christian Wood is probably not 20 per game good but I honestly believe he has more potential than Diallo or Jah, despite both of those guys not looking bad recently. He kinda has the pogo stick jumping and shot blocking of Diallo with the smoothness of Jah rolled into one player, without the out of control feel or the defensive issues that the others pose.

-Kenrich is probably my favorite Pel these days to watch. Guy always is hustling for boards and the parts of his game that need refining are all things that rookies usually struggle with. His feel for the game is something else for someone his age. I personally have him penciled in as our starting small forward whenever I picture the future of this young squad.

-I like Frankie Jax, he seems like a true scorer. He doesn't have a whole lot else in his arsenal, however, and I think a 6th man scoring role might be his ideal spot going forward.

Agree or disagree, fellas?
    @DanielVeuleman

Largely agree.

I've said elsewhere that while their games are not identical, I see a lot of Tony Allen in Kenrich.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Largely agree.

I've said elsewhere that while their games are not identical, I see a lot of Tony Allen in Kenrich.
    However, Kenrich is infinitely more offensively talented than the Grindfather.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Better, but not infinitely better. Kenrich is very streaky offensively. His hustle is fantastic though.

Look at the young guys we have on this team

Okafor
    Wood
    Jackson
    Payton
    Randle
    Williams
    Johnson
    Diallo

If Jrue and AD were younger, and AD didn’t want to leave, this would be a very solid team with the right coaching, and a bit more seasoning. I like where the future is headed, we just need to get the right people in place here.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I'd say he has potential for it, and his three point shot is definitely better, but he's been very up and down offensively.

Call me crazy, but I would keep Wood over Diallo if it came down to it. These young guys mixed with whatever we get in the AD trade could set us up really nicely in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I would keep Wood over Diallo if it came down to it. These young guys mixed with whatever we get in the AD trade could set us up really nicely in the long run.
    I don't think that's crazy at all. Diallo is younger, has shown the energy for a long time (who knows if Wood will maybe chill out a bit once he's got over being passed on by Milwaukee? No idea), and is absolutely the better rebounder partly due to that energy.

On the other hand, Wood plays under more control, is clearly the more offensively skilled player, and has more consistent defensive timing (at least so far). Given those facts, it's totally reasonable to prefer him over Cheick.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    That's not a crazy take at all. Diallo is all energy as a player. He's still extremely raw offensively and defensively. His scoring and playmaking is all around out hustling other players.

I like Diallo but he is still a big project. Not necessarily an issue but it's hard to justify a roster spot for him compared to guy like Wood who is already much more of a threat offensively and just doesn't seem as raw at all but still has plenty of room to grow.

I would not be upset if they chose to go with Wood over Diallo.

Thread Information