Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    And what would this position be that Ferry would be interested in that is not a GM position?
    Most have said President of Basketball Operations.

Overstating a GM's role ? Really ?
    So, Ainge isn't the be all-end all ? Yes, he is.
    So, because we may NOT deal with Boston, you think there is no need to worry about dealing with Boston? Huh ! I see you like to be prepared .
    Overstating a GM's role ? Dell Demps, Ernie Grunfeld, Magic Johnson ! The POBO/GM is 100% the most important person in the organizational structure. NOT close.
    Yes, overstating. If Ainge is the be all, end all then why is everyone around the league so worked up about Zarren? Same with Morey/Rosas? The AD trade will have more people involved than just our GM, that's just not how these big decisions are made. I don't think we shouldn't worry about dealing with Boston, my point is that if Boston/Ainge is trying to fleece us then there's a bunch of other teams we can trade with. It will be really hard to get fleeced with a bunch of suitors.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Yes, overstating. If Ainge is the be all, end all then why is everyone around the league so worked up about Zarren? Same with Morey/Rosas? The AD trade will have more people involved than just our GM, that's just not how these big decisions are made. I don't think we shouldn't worry about dealing with Boston, my point is that if Boston/Ainge is trying to fleece us then there's a bunch of other teams we can trade with. It will be really hard to get fleeced with a bunch of suitors.
    Who's everyone? Did Zarren apply somewhere?
    One would think that the Asst GM becomes better at what he does by? Go ahead,you can answer--Yes, learning from a brilliant GM/POBO.
    So, yes the GM is by far the most important figure in the operational heirarchy.
    I cant believe youre even arguing the point.
    You basically made my argument for me. The Asst GM's are drawing interest because of the SUCCESS OF THE GM that they are under. DOH!
    Also, its quite Logical that teams with vacancies have interest in ASST GM's. ACTING GM's arent leaving there current team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Most have said President of Basketball Operations.
    And then that leaves WHO as GM?

And then that leaves WHO as GM?
    Whoever Mrs B, Ferry, Loomis, etc decide.

However after last night I simply don't care about Ferry. He can gtfo too.

Whoever Mrs B, Ferry, Loomis, etc decide.

However after last night I simply don't care about Ferry. He can gtfo too.
    I cant recall being this FUMED over any occurrence regarding team dumbassery in decades.

I cant recall being this FUMED over any occurrence regarding team dumbassery in decades.
    I agree. It's like this entire season has been the Pelicans Organization continuously saying, "Hold my beer." to one up themselves on doing something stupid.

I agree. It's like this entire season has been the Pelicans Organization continuously saying, "Hold my beer." to one up themselves on doing something stupid.
    It's pretty astounding. If I weren't so mad, I'd be impressed.

Saw an article earlier where Jrue was talking about how he thinks he would like to be more involved with the organisational side of things, and also about how much he likes Gentry. If Jrue somehow pressures the FO into keeping Gentry...

Don't make me hate you too, Jrue. Please.
    Basketball.

From reading the article I didn't take it as Jrue saying how much he liked Gentry. I thought he was just making a comment like he wants a similar relationship with the FO like he has with Gentry where he can talk to them and express how he feels.

From reading the article I didn't take it as Jrue saying how much he liked Gentry. I thought he was just making a comment like he wants a similar relationship with the FO like he has with Gentry where he can talk to them and express how he feels.
    I hope you're right.

This season has already seen my respect vanish for AD, any lingering respect I had for Boogie was annihilated last off season, Gentry has burned any remaining respect I had for him as a coach pretty thoroughly this year, and if Jrue did somethign like that, I think I'd implode.

Who's everyone? Did Zarren apply somewhere?
    One would think that the Asst GM becomes better at what he does by? Go ahead,you can answer--Yes, learning from a brilliant GM/POBO.
    So, yes the GM is by far the most important figure in the operational heirarchy.
    I cant believe youre even arguing the point.
    You basically made my argument for me. The Asst GM's are drawing interest because of the SUCCESS OF THE GM that they are under. DOH!
    Also, its quite Logical that teams with vacancies have interest in ASST GM's. ACTING GM's arent leaving there current team.
    I'm not saying GMs aren't important. I'm saying that GMs do not unilaterally make trades by themselves, many members of the front office are involved (especially trades of this magnitude).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I hope you're right.

This season has already seen my respect vanish for AD, any lingering respect I had for Boogie was annihilated last off season, Gentry has burned any remaining respect I had for him as a coach pretty thoroughly this year, and if Jrue did somethign like that, I think I'd implode.
    Jrue might legitimately like Gentry. He seems like a players coach. I don't think you need to worry though about Jrue trying to force the issue of keeping Gentry.

Jrue might legitimately like Gentry. He seems like a players coach. I don't think you need to worry though about Jrue trying to force the issue of keeping Gentry.
    I don't blame Jrue for liking him as a person. He seems like a nice guy. Just need Gentry gone as coach. Like I said, hope you're right. You probably are. I just wouldn't be surprised by anything right now.

Basketball Guru
    look,,you keep gentry as coach and also make him the GM....we had a top 4 offense and the players demps gave gentry played well....so give gentry the GM job and let him get the players he want for his style...we know we will score alot of points on offense and play fast and fun.....get the players to buy into the defensive side and we are in the playoffs as a 8th seed or 7th seed this coming season......

if majority of you think we will suck for 3 or 4 years then just give gentry the GM position and see what he can do for 3 or 4 years that yall believe we will suck.....

i said my peace lol....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    look,,you keep gentry as coach and also make him the GM....we had a top 4 offense and the players demps gave gentry played well....so give gentry the GM job and let him get the players he want for his style...we know we will score alot of points on offense and play fast and fun.....get the players to buy into the defensive side and we are in the playoffs as a 8th seed or 7th seed this coming season......

if majority of you think we will suck for 3 or 4 years then just give gentry the GM position and see what he can do for 3 or 4 years that yall believe we will suck.....

i said my peace lol....
    I assume this is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I assume this is a joke.
    It better be.

Basketball Guru
    It better be.
    i was trying to flip your lid lol...

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i was trying to flip your lid lol...
    I think it worked. Lol.

Good news. Lakers are the imploding. Bad news is now they are interested in our candidates

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Good news. Lakers are the imploding. Bad news is now they are interested in our candidates
    I don't think it will end up mattering, for a few reasons.

1) We're massively ahead of them. We have already held interviews with final candidates who are obviously interested in the job, whereas according to Ramona Shelburne, nobody in the Lakers organisation even knew Magic was planning to step down until he literally stood there and said it. They haven't even begin looking for a name yet, and we're in the last leg.

2) We're a much more attractive prospect in terms of assets. Of course, the Lakers aren't terrible here: they have young players and their own picks, but we have Anthony Davis right there ready to trade. Any GM looking to make a splash with a new team knows that the AD trade presents an opportunity to completely reshape the future of a franchise in a way LA just cannot begin to match.

3) We're a more attractive team in terms of reputation right now. I know that seems absurd to say given how incompetent our franchise has been for years now, but we are. The media narrative has come over to our side, with the years of mismanagement now second-place to the mess AD made of his trade request, and the last few months have been pitch perfect for us. By contrast, LA has been in a state of steady implosion and decay for about 8 years now, and given the slew of injuries to names like Lonzo Ball and Ingram, plus the massive contract that Lebron is on and his apparent decline this season, they're thought of almost as a joke.

4) Cap space: we have more of it. We have precisely one contract on our roster long term right now in Jrue, and the only name that really threatens to take up more is Julius Randle, who the new GM would have the choice to sign or let go depending on their preference. By contrast, the Lakers have Lebron's giant contract sat on their books for another three years. Ball is also on there for as much as $11m in 2020-21, and after next off-season Ingram will be due a payday: there's no way someone won't take a risk and offer him pretty big money, and LA will have to match that if they want to keep him. Add to that the fact that they are not a free agent destination AT ALL right now (see: them having to pay Luol Deng as much as they did), they are not in a great place here.

For all those reasons, I don't think we're in much trouble there. The only name who may be drawn away with is Griffin, if he's interested in matching up with Lebron again, which I doubt.

If it's between Ferry and Griffin, take Griffin. Make a change.

If it's between Ferry and Griffin, take Griffin. Make a change.
    The Lakers may break any ties if they should be interested in Griffin as some suspect.

Why are people so against Danny Ferry? The guy built two organizations into winners. He wasn’t making any decisions when Dell was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Why are people so against Danny Ferry? The guy built two organizations into winners. He wasn’t making any decisions when Dell was here.
    I tend to agree. He seems good at finding diamonds in the rough when he did take over. He is a former player, GM , and coach so it is not like he is not qualified.

Thread Information