Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Might do better sticking to what we got

No offense to Fletcher Mackel here, and I trust him as much as I trust anyone when it comes to reporting actual facts when it comes to the Pelicans.

But I have learned that his opinions are usually absolute garbage tier, bottom of the barrel nonsense.

His trade proposals are all garbage. His player evaluation is usually not very good. So forgive me if I don't jump out of my seat for Ferry based on his judgement call.

Ferry has proven himself to be a competent GM. He built a good team in Atlanta, although it couldn't sustain its 60 win-levels of success. But he's not some kind of Ferrari ''rock star'' GM. He's fine. If we end up choosing him, sure I'll be a little put off because I'll never know whether it was due to him being best fit, or the FO being complacent, but I won't be upset either: I know Ferry is perfectly capable at doing this job, and doing it pretty well.

But he's not lighting anyone's world on fire.

Edit: also, lol at the guy who said we need to be ''bold and smart'' also saying we need to stick with what we have and not try anything new. Amazing.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-05-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    PelsBrass: OK guys, we are all in on change ! Oh wait - except for the Advisor to Dell Demps for the past 3 years. Just what we need - keep the residue from a mildewed foundation.
    Oh, BTW, who would owe FLETCHER MACKEL a favor that he can call in? Lolololololololol !

Ferry would not even be available for us to hire if not for his one mistake of reading out loud the words someone else wrote. There's some merit to thinking he's the best person for the job.

I'm not saying Ferry should 100% be the hire. Whoever they chose through the process I am fine with outside of Griffin. (He's shown me nothing I can get excited about) But I think there is quite a bit of evidence to show Ferry would do a good job. Not only what he built in Atl but what happened after he left to the franchise and how they are still in the process of rebuilding. Especially him having previously succeeded in building teams for a small market. That is extremely valuable.

I don't agree or care about what Fletcher has to say, his opinion pieces are useless and I can't believe he's someone who has covered the NBA for as long as he has. A broken clock can still be right twice. That's all Fletcher is, a non working clock.

Here's the thing too, he could make that exact statement about basically every GM candidate and be correct. That's the entire point of hiring an agency and letting them narrow a list down to the cream of the crop. You end up with great candidates.

Ferry is in my top 3 of choices and I think he's deserving of another shot. Or let me phrase it another way, even if Ferry isn't selected as the GM I think he should have some role in the organization. Some have suggest POBO and that's a great spot for him too.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Might do better sticking to what we got

Funny, Fletch researching at all is probably more than he has done in 16 years. He usually resorts to social media for his "reserach" or relies on his interns to do it for him. He has now called Langdon, Griffin and Ferry as the favorites, so he has half the field already. I really liked Ferry when he was a GM, but if he were truly that "rock star" around the league that Fletch refers to, why has he not been employed by anyone as of yet? There have also been rumors that he does not want to stay here.

A case can probably be made for each candidate. I like the experience of Griffin when it comes to making the AD trade, but he is the one who made the decision to draft Bennett #1 (and his draft history is checkered at best). Langdon is a boom or bust with little experience. Rosas is interesting and has been part of a very analytical-heavy front office. Would that translate once he leaves? Sheppard has been part of a mediocre front office in Wash and is probably a favorite to get that job. Harris was terrible at Milwaukee and may be getting the benefit of the doubt because he is affiliated with GS. I am a bit disappointed to have not heard Zarren's name on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Langdon + Hammon = Change the Pelicans narrative. We would take up all of the oxygen in the room. Then the AD ttade plus draft day shenanigans. Pelicans would be at the front of the news for about 3 months.
    Is this a feature or a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ferry would not even be available for us to hire if not for his one mistake of reading out loud the words someone else wrote. There's some merit to thinking he's the best person for the job.

I'm not saying Ferry should 100% be the hire. Whoever they chose through the process I am fine with outside of Griffin. (He's shown me nothing I can get excited about) But I think there is quite a bit of evidence to show Ferry would do a good job. Not only what he built in Atl but what happened after he left to the franchise and how they are still in the process of rebuilding. Especially him having previously succeeded in building teams for a small market. That is extremely valuable.

I don't agree or care about what Fletcher has to say, his opinion pieces are useless and I can't believe he's someone who has covered the NBA for as long as he has. A broken clock can still be right twice. That's all Fletcher is, a non working clock.

Here's the thing too, he could make that exact statement about basically every GM candidate and be correct. That's the entire point of hiring an agency and letting them narrow a list down to the cream of the crop. You end up with great candidates.

Ferry is in my top 3 of choices and I think he's deserving of another shot. Or let me phrase it another way, even if Ferry isn't selected as the GM I think he should have some role in the organization. Some have suggest POBO and that's a great spot for him too.
    We've had 3 yrs of Ferry & if we thought he was "IT", there would be no need for a search . Big Broom sweeps clean. Time to move on from both GM & Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Being a player is a definite asset. But not the specific one I'm looking for against Danny Fleece Ainge,
    This might be something to worry about if for some reason Boston was the only possible trading partner. Also, I think you're overstating the GM role here...regardless of the hire, there will be plenty of front office types involved in trade talks...it's not a one man show.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    This might be something to worry about if for some reason Boston was the only possible trading partner. Also, I think you're overstating the GM role here...regardless of the hire, there will be plenty of front office types involved in trade talks...it's not a one man show.
    Overstating a GM's role ? Really ?
    So, Ainge isn't the be all-end all ? Yes, he is.
    So, because we may NOT deal with Boston, you think there is no need to worry about dealing with Boston? Huh ! I see you like to be prepared .
    Overstating a GM's role ? Dell Demps, Ernie Grunfeld, Magic Johnson ! The POBO/GM is 100% the most important person in the organizational structure. NOT close.

HYPER-BOLE.

Sweeping someone out simply because their boss didn't succeed is a horrible tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    HYPER-BOLE.

Sweeping someone out simply because their boss didn't succeed is a horrible tactic.
    Not just a boss. He was an advisor to Demps. I guess Demps didnt listen to anything Ferry said?

That is such specious logic.
    In most cases, someone's BOSS has an entirely different JOB DESCRIPTION than said underling.
    I.E. You dont fire the Accountant's secretary because the CFO gets canned. They do entirely different things & The CFO's job performance in noway can imply that the secretary is also doing a poor job.
    Your logic is too broad. In this situation, Demp's actions can & should directly impact the person thats been advising him for 3 years.
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.

I think the larger issue with Ferry, beyond just his fit, is the red flags he raises about the future of the organisation.

Gayle and co. pretty much told us they were going to do a top to bottom re-fit of the team, looking to the future. They told us the structure of things would be changed, that the new GM would have final say over the HC position, et cetera.

If, after hiring a consultancy and waiting weeks for results, and then hefty interviews with so many candidates whose names are all out there publicly, they just say ''eh, we'll stick with what we've got'', then there are two possibilities.

1) After all interviews, examining the plans of the GM candidates, Ferry legitimately seems to be the best candidate with the clearest vision and best understanding of the team.
    OR
    2) The ownership just kind of decided not to rock the boat too much, and if Ferry looks decent then it can't hurt to keep him, why shake things up?

If Ferry gets hired and it's for reason 1, then I'm fine with it. Like I said before, he's a perfectly competent executive. But if he gets hired for reason 2, then that's terrible, and it casts doubt over all the of ''big shakeup'' stuff we've heard since the AD trade request. Makes the ownership look complacent, and we know that if Ferry becomes GM, Gentry has a higher chance of staying on as HC because of continuity concerns. The problem for us, as fans, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to know which of the two reasons it is: the ownership is not going to come out and tell us they picked Ferry because he was the safe, easy option.

Which means picking Ferry carries with it inevitable, undesirable, connotations which it's difficult to ignore. I don't want a complacent, 'meh', approach to the future of this team, and hiring Ferry tells me that the ownership MIGHT be doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think the larger issue with Ferry, beyond just his fit, is the red flags he raises about the future of the organisation.

Gayle and co. pretty much told us they were going to do a top to bottom re-fit of the team, looking to the future. They told us the structure of things would be changed, that the new GM would have final say over the HC position, et cetera.

If, after hiring a consultancy and waiting weeks for results, and then hefty interviews with so many candidates whose names are all out there publicly, they just say ''eh, we'll stick with what we've got'', then there are two possibilities.

1) After all interviews, examining the plans of the GM candidates, Ferry legitimately seems to be the best candidate with the clearest vision and best understanding of the team.
    OR
    2) The ownership just kind of decided not to rock the boat too much, and if Ferry looks decent then it can't hurt to keep him, why shake things up?

If Ferry gets hired and it's for reason 1, then I'm fine with it. Like I said before, he's a perfectly competent executive. But if he gets hired for reason 2, then that's terrible, and it casts doubt over all the of ''big shakeup'' stuff we've heard since the AD trade request. Makes the ownership look complacent, and we know that if Ferry becomes GM, Gentry has a higher chance of staying on as HC because of continuity concerns. The problem for us, as fans, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to know which of the two reasons it is: the ownership is not going to come out and tell us they picked Ferry because he was the safe, easy option.

Which means picking Ferry carries with it inevitable, undesirable, connotations which it's difficult to ignore. I don't want a complacent, 'meh', approach to the future of this team, and hiring Ferry tells me that the ownership MIGHT be doing just that.
    IF Ferry was the guy, they would NOT have wasted time & money on a useless firm.
    But, Im with ya- If they do this. to NOT shake things up, it would be the antithesis of what their message has been. I hope the BROOM uses every bristle.
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.

We've had 3 yrs of Ferry & if we thought he was "IT", there would be no need for a search . Big Broom sweeps clean. Time to move on from both GM & Coach.
    We haven't had 3 years of Ferry at all. My understanding was Ferry didn't even spend all his time in New Orleans. He was an advisor but didn't have some huge active role.

Let's also keep in mind since Ferry has been this "advisor" Demps had his best years of making moves. So if we are going to try and lay fault as his feet then that would be a good thing for the argument to make him permanent GM.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Not just a boss. He was an advisor to Demps. I guess Demps didnt listen to anything Ferry said?

That is such specious logic.
    In most cases, someone's BOSS has an entirely different JOB DESCRIPTION than said underling.
    I.E. You dont fire the Accountant's secretary because the CFO gets canned. They do entirely different things & The CFO's job performance in noway can imply that the secretary is also doing a poor job.
    Your logic is too broad. In this situation, Demp's actions can & should directly impact the person thats been advising him for 3 years.
    Some of Demp's best work has been since Ferry came on board, which makes me attracted to the idea of him as POBO

We haven't had 3 years of Ferry at all. My understanding was Ferry didn't even spend all his time in New Orleans. He was an advisor but didn't have some huge active role.

Let's also keep in mind since Ferry has been this "advisor" Demps had his best years of making moves. So if we are going to try and lay fault as his feet then that would be a good thing for the argument to make him permanent GM.
    So, which is it ? Sentence #1, you say Ferry didn't hardly do anything so it's not his fault.
    Sentence #2, you say Demps did his best work while Ferry was here.
    So, is it because Ferry didn't do anything Or is it because he was hands on & made Demps better.
    Polar opposites. Can't be both.

The Very 1st move that was made after Danny Ferry became an advisor was. Solomon Hill 4-48 ! So!?!?

So, which is it ? Sentence #1, you say Ferry didn't hardly do anything so it's not his fault.
    So, is it because Ferry didn't do anything Or is it because he was hands on & made Demps better.
    I think you're being harsh. It's totally possible that Ferry hasn't done a HUGE amount, but has been an influence when it comes to the larger moves, such as the Boogie trade and the Niko trade. Obviously we can't know if that's true, but it's possible that he's been a voice in the room and an influence on bigger stuff, but hasn't had anything to do with the day-to-day or the smaller trades.

I think you're being harsh. It's totally possible that Ferry hasn't done a HUGE amount, but has been an influence when it comes to the larger moves, such as the Boogie trade and the Niko trade. Obviously we can't know if that's true, but it's possible that he's been a voice in the room and an influence on bigger stuff, but hasn't had anything to do with the day-to-day or the smaller trades.
    Ok, but let's not Cherry pick - Solomon Hill , Alexi Ajinca, losing Quin Cook were on the same watch.
    For me, it is truly about cleaning house. Don't leave the dust on the top of the ceiling fan. Clean it all.
    So, we'll blame Demps & Gentry, but Ferry is a keeper? So, Ferry is gonna be the guy to tell Gentry that he sucks? Sounds Like irony considering Demps sucked.

Ok, but let's not Cherry pick - Solomon Hill , Alexi Ajinca, losing Quin Cook were on the same watch.
    For me, it is truly about cleaning house. Don't leave the dust on the top of the ceiling fan. Clean it all.
    So, we'll blame Demps & Gentry, but Ferry is a keeper? So, Ferry is gonna be the guy to tell Gentry that he sucks? Sounds Like irony considering Demps sucked.
    For sure, but those could also be considered those smaller scale moves, containing non-major players, that Ferry wouldn't have been involved in. Not saying that IS what happened, because we don't find out these things, but it's possible.

I agree though. I don't want Ferry, for the reasons I've outlined prior.

For sure, but those could also be considered those smaller scale moves, containing non-major players, that Ferry wouldn't have been involved in. Not saying that IS what happened, because we don't find out these things, but it's possible.

I agree though. I don't want Ferry, for the reasons I've outlined prior.
    Big move to me isn't just "Big Name" . Hill's contract was & is an albatross . In 2016 12 million per was supposed to get you a upper level rotation player.

Big move to me isn't just "Big Name" . Hill's contract was & is an albatross . In 2016 12 million per was supposed to get you a upper level rotation player.
    I'm well aware of that, but if Ferry wasn't in NOLA at the time, which is perfectly reasonable (I think Mythrol said he wasn't here full time, right?) then why would he think that kind of contract is just going out? He gets a call from Dell, Dell says he's going to sign Solomon Hill. Ferry just thinks to himself, oh okay, that's fine, and doesn't for a moment suspect that Dell is going to give him big money. Why would he think Dell would do that?

Again, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. For all we know, Ferry was the one who convinced Dell to give Hill that contract, who knows?

No you're confused. I believe my 1st sentence. That Ferry was an advisor but didn't have anywhere near the active role that many seem to believe. It was reported at the time he signed with us that he wasn't even going to move permanently to New Orleans. Clearly that's changed since then but I think Dell was very much his own man. Dell was an advisor for San Antonio, should he get the credit for all of San Antonio's moves while he was there? No you judge a guy off of what they did when they were the top guy.

My 2nd sentence is EVEN IF we said he was active like you're implying, those were the best years of Demps tenure as far as moves go.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-05-2019 at 07:00 PM.

No you're confused. I believe my 1st sentence. That Ferry was an advisor but didn't have anywhere near the active role that many seem to believe. It was reported at the time he signed with us that he wasn't even going to move permanently to New Orleans. Clearly that's changed since then but I think Dell was very much his own man. Dell was an advisor for San Antonio, should he get the credit for all of San Antonio's moves while he was there? No you judge a guy off of what they did when they were the top guy.

My 2nd sentence is EVEN IF we said he was active like you're implying, those were the best years of Demps tenure as far as moves go.
    So, when did Ferry expand his role & how do you know that he ever did?

So, when did Ferry expand his role & how do you know that he ever did?
    Well we know for sure Ferry expanded his role at the least when he was named the interim GM.

I think his role for Dell was as a sounding board when he first signed on as an advisor and slowly evolved as people started hearing what he had to say and thought it sounded good. How fast that happened, I don't know, but it clearly happened because the organization thought enough of him to make him the interim GM and consider him for the full job.

Thread Information