Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Gayle might stick with Danny Ferry?

Langdon + Hammon = Change the Pelicans narrative. We would take up all of the oxygen in the room. Then the AD ttade plus draft day shenanigans. Pelicans would be at the front of the news for about 3 months.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Langdon + Hammon = Change the Pelicans narrative. We would take up all of the oxygen in the room. Then the AD ttade plus draft day shenanigans. Pelicans would be at the front of the news for about 3 months.
    Totally agree.

Langdon increases the odds of Becky or Messina ending up as HC, I think, due to his connections with them via CSKA Moscow
    Basketball.

When do you all think we can expect a hire? Day after the season ends? Let them hit the ground running! In any case, this should be an exciting off season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pelicanidae;1484813]Totally agree.

Langdon increases the odds of Becky or Messina ending up as HC, I think, due to his connections with them via CSKA Moscow[/QUOTE

I don't want GM's & coach's based on their overseas escapades ! I would love Hammond, but I want Griffin negotiating against Ainge, not Boy Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    When do you all think we can expect a hire? Day after the season ends? Let them hit the ground running! In any case, this should be an exciting off season.
    End of next week. Hopefully coincides with when playoffs begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Totally agree.

Langdon increases the odds of Becky or Messina ending up as HC, I think, due to his connections with them via CSKA Moscow
    Sorry I stepped on your post . I don't know why your post wasnt squared .

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Sorry I stepped on your post . I don't know why your post wasnt squared .
    It's cool.

I get Griffin, but I have serious doubts about him. Firstly, as much as I hate to bring it up, he DOES have a friendly relationship with Lebron James. I don't want any risk of there being dual loyalties in that respect. I would hate for him to do a James Jones and give Lebron one last favour, by screwing the AD trade. I'm probably just being paranoid about that, he wouldn't want to ruin his career for it, but still.

At the same time, I don't know how to judge him. He hasn't worked for a few years now, and his last tenure was with the Cavs. And I have no idea how to judge a GM based off years he spends with Lebron James, because we ALL know how much Lebron dictates his rosters and moves.

It's cool.

I get Griffin, but I have serious doubts about him. Firstly, as much as I hate to bring it up, he DOES have a friendly relationship with Lebron James. I don't want any risk of there being dual loyalties in that respect. I would hate for him to do a James Jones and give Lebron one last favour, by screwing the AD trade. I'm probably just being paranoid about that, he wouldn't want to ruin his career for it, but still.

At the same time, I don't know how to judge him. He hasn't worked for a few years now, and his last tenure was with the Cavs. And I have no idea how to judge a GM based off years he spends with Lebron James, because we ALL know how much Lebron dictates his rosters and moves.
    Yep, all valid points.
    He also was lauded in Phx, though. I also think Griffin being on the outside looking in, especially while still being active (NBA Network) can be an asset . Does the mind good to see different perspectives.

Yep, all valid points.
    He also was lauded in Phx, though. I also think Griffin being on the outside looking in, especially while still being active (NBA Network) can be an asset . Does the mind good to see different perspectives.
    That's true, but then couldn't you equally argue that Langdon gets extra points for having spent time as a player, which also gives a slightly different perspective?

That's true, but then couldn't you equally argue that Langdon gets extra points for having spent time as a player, which also gives a slightly different perspective?
    Being a player is a definite asset. But not the specific one I'm looking for against Danny Fleece Ainge,

Being a player is a definite asset. But not the specific one I'm looking against Danny Fleece Ainge,
    Sure, but is David Griffin really a qualified name to be doing this negotiation? Sure, he has more GM experience than Langdon, but has he ever made a trade of this size? I'm not being rhetorical, my question is serious: does his resume have ANYTHING of this size on it? If not, then surely it has to come down to who has been doing the best work, most recently. And while Griffin did good work, it's hard to judge because of Lebron, whereas Langdon has been a huge part of one of the most impressive rebuilds in the league in Brooklyn.

Sure, but is David Griffin really a qualified name to be doing this negotiation? Sure, he has more GM experience than Langdon, but has he ever made a trade of this size? I'm not being rhetorical, my question is serious: does his resume have ANYTHING of this size on it? If not, then surely it has to come down to who has been doing the best work, most recently. And while Griffin did good work, it's hard to judge because of Lebron, whereas Langdon has been a huge part of one of the most impressive rebuilds in the league in Brooklyn.
    Kyrie Irving? Trading for Kevin Love? I think he knows how a trade works.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-04-2019 at 08:44 PM.

You could almost say hiring Langdon would be like hiring another Demps. But then again we can’t judge that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Kyrie Irving? Trading for Kevin Love? I think he knows how a trade works.
    The K-Love trade was not on this level.

He did not trade Kyrie Irving, that was his successor. And also, that trade was bungled awfully.

It’s a fix it now situation. The next GM needs to nail this Davis trade.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    She looks feisty. I like her.

She looks feisty. I like her.
    I remember watching those Summer League games and being impressed by the way she managed the team. That's part of why I find her such an interesting HC candidate, aside from the obvious Coach Pop lineage and the extremely high level Women's League stuff

The K-Love trade was not on this level.

He did not trade Kyrie Irving, that was his successor. And also, that trade was bungled awfully.
    Just a tidbit. I wonder what the relationship is between Gentry & Griffin. Worked with each other for 6yrs in Phx.

Just a tidbit. I wonder what the relationship is between Gentry & Griffin. Worked with each other for 6yrs in Phx.
    You'd have to assume it's a pretty decent working relationship. If I were interviewing Griffin and he told he would be keeping Gentry, I'd be very reluctant to hire him from that. Don't want Gentry here.

You'd have to assume it's a pretty decent working relationship. If I were interviewing Griffin and he told he would be keeping Gentry, I'd be very reluctant to hire him from that. Don't want Gentry here.
    In England ? Why?

In England ? Why?
    He probably has no idea how to make a good cup of tea.

But more seriously, I mean that if I were interviewing for the team, I'd want to know what the general outline they have in mind for the immediate term would be. If that outline doesn't include re-fitting the coaching staff, I'm already not too excited.

In England ? Why?
    He probably has no idea how to make a good cup of tea.
    And this is why this forum needs a post rating system.

Plus 1 for each of you for this very relevant exchange.

But more seriously, I mean that if I were interviewing for the team, I'd want to know what the general outline they have in mind for the immediate term would be. If that outline doesn't include re-fitting the coaching staff, I'm already not too excited.
    The brass might actually like Gentry though. But I agree that we need an entire reboot.

The brass might actually like Gentry though. But I agree that we need an entire reboot.
    Yeah, I understand that. And don't get me wrong, Gentry seems like a great guy, very friendly and seems like he cares. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's very good at being a head coach. For me though, he's had years, he's had opportunity, and he just hasn't been able to make things happen. If we fired Dell, then we should fire Gentry.

Yeah, I understand that. And don't get me wrong, Gentry seems like a great guy, very friendly and seems like he cares. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's very good at being a head coach. For me though, he's had years, he's had opportunity, and he just hasn't been able to make things happen. If we fired Dell, then we should fire Gentry.
    This was precisely how I felt when Dell hired him. The only time he ever did well was with an MVP caliber PG.

Thread Information