Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: March 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 31-45

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We are doing everything an actual professional organization does. Not some message board hype over the 6th best odds instead of the 7th. Or we act like a class organization and let him finish out the season instead of hoping it ends up in an extra loss or 2. All I’m saying is anybody that has ever been in a competitive sport knows this just isn’t a thing or an option. Just ridiculous. Go ask a real winner and competitor like Kobe or MJ to see what they think about this.. If you want us to lose absolutely go ahead. I have no problem with losing either at this point. But to drag it any further blaming Gentry, Ferry, Benson, or any players is laughable!
    a couple of good, realistic posts back to back... to me the thought process is something like this: with the guys we have available right now, we probably shouldn't be winning many games, but these guys are paid professionals and they are playing their asses off because their futures depend upon it. To me, if there really is anything such as "tanking", its just not being able to win even though you give it your all.... intentionally losing shouldn't even be a consideration.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    i truly don't understand how anyone can be happy with a win in these circumstances. boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    i truly don't understand how anyone can be happy with a win in these circumstances. boggles the mind.
    Chances were slim to get top 3 anyway. So what does it really matter anyway? Very good talent available still at #9 plus the Davis trade.

As usual these seem to age really well..
    Thank you. You have again totally missed the point of what I said. Congrats.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Wait. Where was it reported that Gentry wanted to take the Lakers offer?

That sounds absolutely crazy. He should have been fired with Dell if that was the case.
    Shamit Dua reported it on the In The NO podcast

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Chances were slim to get top 3 anyway. So what does it really matter anyway? Very good talent available still at #9 plus the Davis trade.
    Sure chances are slim, just like they were not great when we got #1 to get AD. However, better chances at a top 3 are worth more than a meaningless win. Having said that, we cannot intentionally lose games and these bench players played well enough to win against a Kings team that had to overcome some poor coaching in that game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    What does it matter? It’s mattered many times. Remember when we were one pick away from PG????!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    What does it matter? It’s mattered many times. Remember when we were one pick away from PG????!!!
    One pick away from PG.
    One pick away from Andre Drummond: instead we got Austin Rivers.

One or two spots can mean a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    You think you are getting nothing in return when we trade Davis?

I love how anybody here expects professional athletes and professional coaches to just not give a crap about a win. When we have players that don’t care I simply don’t want them here. Yes I will say this again anybody that has ever played a sport actually competitively here would know this would be a huge problem for any athelete or competetitor in general.
    Serious question here: every time we win in a dumb way, myself and others get annoyed by it.

Every time we do that, you show up immediately to say that we can't ''expect professional athletes'' to lose on purpose.

Every time, we explain that we do not expect the PLAYERS to lose on purpose, but we expect an organised and focused front office to make clear the goal of tanking: and you can't argue that front offices and coaches will never do that, because they blatantly do, all the time, most prominently in Philadelphia.

And then EVERY TIME you ignore it, come into the next thread, and spread the same nonsense about expecting professional athletes to lose, which absolutely nobody is saying they expect.

Why do you keep doing this? You're arguing against someone who doesn't exist. Nobody is disagreeing with you about the perspective of the athletes. Absolutely nobody.

You think you are getting nothing in return when we trade Davis?
    How does that relate to the Pelicans' draft position? They are independent of each other.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    #9 means we can drop to 13 ! 6 means we can only drop to 10.
    #9 means we have less than 20% in top #4. #6 means we have almost a 40% chance of top 4 pick
    #6 means a much better piece in a trade offer also.
    But, other than that, yeah, no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    #9 means we have less than 20% in top #4. #6 means we have almost a 40% chance of top 4 pick
    It’s a talented draft wherever we land. Have faith in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1kMlG8c7Y

Nobody is saying that if we end up dropping to #13, it's the end of the world. At that pick, Bol Bol might still be on the board, and there have been great players drafted at #13 or so in the past: Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone jump to mind instantly.

But think about it this way. Most people have their top 4 picks looking SOMETHING like Zion, Ja, Jarrett Culver, and RJ Barrett. That's currently Tankathon's predicted top 4, and for the sake of argument let's use those. If you're #6, you get a 40% chance at one of those guys. If you're 13th, there is no chance at any of them. Currently predicted to go around that spot are names like Romeo Langford and Coby White.

No offense to Langford or White, but they do not have the same kind of promise that the other four guys do, to my eyes.

It drops significantly after 3 or 4. I would not say this is that deep of a draft talent-wise.

Put Zion in your Left Hand & a big pile of heaping faith in the right hand & see which GM still has his job !

Put Zion in your Left Hand & a big pile of heaping faith in the right hand & see which GM still has his job !
    So you don’t like Morant, Barrett, Culver, Reddish rest of draft.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 03-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.

So you don’t like Morant, Barrett, Culver, Reddish rest of draft.
    Wouldn't draft Barrett in the top 10. He belongs with the rest of the Milquetoast . I wouldn't draft Reddish at all. The only Top Shelf booze in this draft is Zion, Morant & Culver . Other than that, every other player is position centric. There is NO best player available. They are all what & what . If you need a guard, you take Garland, if you need a C , you take Bol Bol, if you need a long wing, you take Little. Everyone in this Draft is a yada yada except for Zion, Ja & Culver.

Wouldn't draft Barrett in the top 10. He belongs with the rest of the Milquetoast . I wouldn't draft Reddish at all. The only Top Shelf booze in this draft is Zion, Morant & Culver . Other than that, every other player is position centric. There is NO best player available. They are all what & what . If you need a guard, you take Garland, if you need a C , you take Bol Bol, if you need a long wing, you take Little. Everyone in this Draft is a yada yada except for Zion, Ja & Culver.
    I love the band Helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I love the band Helmet...
    Lol ! Showin your age a bit. I was/is more Alice in Chains. "yeahhhhh, here comes the Rooster, yeaaaahhhhh !
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-29-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Lol ! Showin your age a bit. I was/is more Alice in Chains. "yeahhhhh, here comes the Rooster, yeaaaahhhhh !

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You had to be in high school for Milquetoast . I think that was in the mid 90's ish.?

(Goes on deep dive of 90s music in search of Milquetoast)

My brothers were into AIC and Helmet, I was more into Soundgarden, though I can’t tell you the last time that I listened to a Soundgarden song (though I listen to Man in the Box or Unsung nearly every other day when I go running).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

You had to be in high school for Milquetoast . I think that was in the mid 90's ish.?
    Strap it on 1990
    Meantime 1992
    Betty 1994 (Milquetoast album)*
    Aftertaste 1997
    The other albums (WGAS).

Page Hamilton is the GOAT.
    *Which was actually the song from the movie the Crow with Brandon Lee.

Been a Hornets/Pels fan since 1992.
    So yeah I'm getting on in the world.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 03-30-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Thread Information