Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: March 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 31-45

Pelicans March 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 31-45

Tonight is a game we should lose.

Every game right now is a nailbiter for at least the first half, because if we want a real chance of the 6th best lottery odds, then we pretty much need to lose every game from here. Some of the games we have coming up are big risks to that: Phoenix, for example, is a game we could easily win because they're tanking too.

Tonight, we don't have that problem. We are trying to lose, and Sacramento has every chance of making the playoffs. And by god do they want to make the playoffs. They've missed out for years and years, they really, really want to go this season. We're happy to help for the low, low price of only one loss. They give us that, and we'll give them a win. Deal.

We have won 1 game in our last 10. Meanwhile, SAC has won 4 of their last 6. They haven't won against a good team for a while, but that's okay: we aren't a good team right now. If they can perform anywhere close to a solid standard, they should mess us up pretty easily here.

So what do we have to watch? Well, Frank is out for concussion protocol, so for me the number one guy to watch is Christian Wood. He went off in the last game, posting 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks on a super efficient 7 for 9 shooting night. If he can replicate that, or anything even close (say, 17 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks?) then those are encouraging signs. There's a limited amount of meaning to be taken from late season tanking games, but it's still fun to watch and see what potential he could have there moving in to next season.

So let's go and #DoItBig!
    Basketball.

This game is fairly pacy early on. Randle just jacking up shots, which is always good to see.

Up 4 at the end of the first. Good to see Wood getting some first quarter minutes, even if only few.

Wood really has an eye for steals, that's 6 now in two games.

Wood up to double digits again, took him 8 minutes. 5 of 7 shooting.

Hope Ian Clark gets 30 minutes, he's a one man tank. 1 of 7 from the floor.

End of the first half, we're up 64-62. Lost that second quarter.

Just felt bad you were talking to yourself!!

We are going to need some serious Solomon Hill and Johnson minutes this 2nd half to bring this tank home.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Just felt bad you were talking to yourself!!
    Hey, it's the only way I get good conversation on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We are going to need some serious Solomon Hill and Johnson minutes this 2nd half to bring this tank home.
    Stanley Johnson at PG
    Ian Clark at SG
    Solomon Hill at SF

Run those three heavy minutes, we lose.

Wood is gonna end up getting like, 19 minutes in this game.

Which is less than Randle has had already. The same as Okafor has had already.

Run the new guys!!

It would be awsome if we could have bench scoring for once. Frank was doing well before he got injured and Wood looks promising. Might have some decent subbies next season

Dallas are neck and neck with Miami with only a few minutes to go. Hopefully they can pull off a win, and get themselves disadvantaged.

End of the third, we're up three, 91-88.

All to play for. Please lose.

Okay that spike off the jump ball was hilarious

Wood has really impressed me this game. Coming off such a big game last time around, I expected him to kind of put out a dud tonight, and he hasn't. Obviously it's not as statistically impressive as 23/9 with 3 steals and 6 blocks, but so far he has 17 points, 3 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block on 70% shooting. That's pretty darn good.

Damn it, Dallas lost. Now we need to lose. If we win tonight and Dallas has lost, we can kiss #6 goodbye.

Looks like Stanley Johnson’s shot has improved slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Looks like Stanley Johnson’s shot has improved slightly.
    He just might be worth a minimumish on a rebuilding team. Wouldn’t mind giving him a shot next season

You know, I can't remember who wrote it, but I read an article the other day that basically argued that a huge part of the reason games like this are important, is that they show us the value of not overpaying roleplayers.

Look at Randall's numbers in recent games. Look at Payton's. They're hugely inflated. When given the keys to the offense, and the permission to play in the most self-aggrandising way possible, with triple doubles and high scoring games all over, how many wins do they lead to?

Obviously it's not quite that simple but it's worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Dallas are neck and neck with Miami with only a few minutes to go. Hopefully they can pull off a win, and get themselves disadvantaged.
    FY Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    FY Dallas.
    Makes this a must lose.

Which makes me wonder why Gentry is bringing the starters back in, to be honest.

Wood up to 23 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals

I really think having bench players that run other teams out of the gym is the way to go.

Thread Information