Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boston Adds Another Weapon for AD Trade?

Draft Boston Adds Another Weapon for AD Trade?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnotherPick.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	6403

I doubt Boston has any competition in this trade for AD (as far as assets go). We're not dealing with the Lakers... I think the Pels organization feels so screwed by the Lakers that they won't trade with them. With the way Zion looks I doubt the Knicks would give up the #1 pick for AD in a trade (if they win the lottery). Our options might be Boston only, and with AD not committing I doubt they'd add Tatum to the deal (they said he's in the mix but I'm not expecting him).

These extra picks could help. We may need to prepare ourselves for a full rebuild from the bottom-up. I hope Boston would send Tatum, Brown, Rozier and Marcus Smart but that's a dreamer haul. I just hope whoever takes over as GM we have a plan, and see it through rather than do this "young veteran" crap that cap-straps us for years.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I doubt Boston has any competition in this trade for AD (as far as assets go). We're not dealing with the Lakers... I think the Pels organization feels so screwed by the Lakers that they won't trade with them. With the way Zion looks I doubt the Knicks would give up the #1 pick for AD in a trade (if they win the lottery). Our options might be Boston only, and with AD not committing I doubt they'd add Tatum to the deal (they said he's in the mix but I'm not expecting him).

These extra picks could help. We may need to prepare ourselves for a full rebuild from the bottom-up. I hope Boston would send Tatum, Brown, Rozier and Marcus Smart but that's a dreamer haul. I just hope whoever takes over as GM we have a plan, and see it through rather than do this "young veteran" crap that cap-straps us for years.
    There will be 29 teams presenting offers for AD. To assume Boston will be the only avenue is very narrow minded. This trade doesn't have to be binary. Several teams can be involved .
    Also- if the Knicks get the #1 pick, they trade Zion for AD in a nanosecond.

The only problem with Boston having all these picks is that this is such a shallow class and the value of all those mid-to-late teens picks isn't really all that high. I still think they have the best offer to put on the table, but this draft doesn't give us the best use of what would usually be colossal draft capital.

People really think a proven MVP canidate in his prime will not be traded for unproven college phenom ?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    People really think a proven MVP canidate in his prime will not be traded for unproven college phenom ?
    MindBoggling !

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    IDK, Imagine if the Pels trade AD on draft day 2012 for 1 or 2 in MVP race of 2011. Bulls would have gotten AD (now 26) for Derrick Rose (then 22) or Orlando AD for Dwight Howard (then 25). Not that they we're offered but we went with the raw unproven inexpensive rookie phenom.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't think it's so cut and dry.

I wouldn't count PHX out either. Is there a package with them for 1 or even 2 overall? Is Ja Morant worth going after if Zion is for sure NY bound? AD goes PHX as the veteran All-Star leader. The spacing he can give Booker...

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    IDK, Imagine if the Pels trade AD on draft day 2012 for 1 or 2 in MVP race of 2011. Bulls would have gotten AD (now 26) for Derrick Rose (then 22) or Orlando AD for Dwight Howard (then 25). Not that they we're offered but we went with the raw unproven inexpensive rookie phenom.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't think it's so cut and dry.

I wouldn't count PHX out either. Is there a package with them for 1 or even 2 overall? Is Ja Morant worth going after if Zion is for sure NY bound? AD goes PHX as the veteran All-Star leader. The spacing he can give Booker...
    Anthony Davis is 1000% better than Rose was. & 100000% better than Dwight Howard. 28-12-6 average at age 26. There is zero comparison between AD & those 2 guys.
    Plus, I lay a dime to a donut that there are zero GMs using the "in 2012" logic.
    Again IMHO, there is Zero question that Knicks trade Zion to get AD.

30 out of 30 GM's would trade Zion to get Giannis , right? No brainer. So, AD=Giannis ? #'s say yes.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-27-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Again, the motivation for NY is not just to get AD but also to pair him with KD and Kyrie (or other max free agent). Kyrie and KD have less than zero interest in spending the prime of their careers playing with rookies.

Also, while I'm at it. There is almost no chance Rozier will be part of a trade with Boston since he will be a restricted free agent. This means that he'd have to agree to a sign and trade, and why exactly would he do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Anthony Davis is 1000% better than Rose was. & 100000% better than Dwight Howard. 28-12-6 average at age 26. There is zero comparison between AD & those 2 guys.
    Plus, I lay a dime to a donut that there are zero GMs using the "in 2012" logic.
    Again IMHO, there is Zero question that Knicks trade Zion to get AD.

30 out of 30 GM's would trade Zion to get Giannis , right? No brainer. So, AD=Giannis ? #'s say yes.
    Yeah... you're right. No comparison between AD and those guys. Let me just prove it quick:

Derrick Rose, MVP year: 25pts, 4.1rbds, 7.7asts, 1.0stls, 0.6blks, 44.5% fg, 33.2% 3pt, 85.8% FT, +10 Net Rating, 23.5 PER, 13.1 total win shares, .208 WS/48, 5.9 BPM, 6.0 VORP
    Dwight Howard, best year: 20.7pts, 14.2rbds, 1.3asts, 0.9stls, 2.1blks, 59.9% FG, 0.00% 3pt, 59% FT, +19 Net Rating, 26.1 PER, 14.4 total win shares, .235 WS/48, 4.8 BPM, 5.0 VORP

Anthony Davis last season: 28.1pts, 11.1 rbds, 2.3asts, 1.3stls, 2.6blks, 53.4% FG, 34% 3pt, 83% FT, +17 Net Rating, 28.9 PER, 13.7 total win shares, .241 WS/48, 5.2 BPM, 4.9 VORP

Anthony Davis this year before the trade request: 29.3pts, 13.3rbds, 4.4asts, 1.7stls, 2.6blks, 51% FG, 33% 3pt, +18 Net Rating, 31.3 PER.

Even after the trade request lowering his minutes and thus lowering his output, he's gonna finish this season with more than 10 total win shares, averaging over .240 WS/48, for the third time in his career.

Wanna know the list of other NBA players who have averaged at least .240 WS/48 at least three times in their careers? Well, since the introduction of the 3pt line, that list of players looks like this: Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Steph Curry, Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant, Kevin Garnett, James Harden, Lebron James, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Dirk Nowitzki, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Paul, and David Robinson. That's it.

That list is pure diamond talent, top to bottom. Every single player on that list is a guaranteed, certified, no questions asked lock for the hall of fame, if they aren't already in it. Anthony Davis' name is on that list already, aged 26.

There is no GM worth their salt who looks at AD and thinks ''yeah, this guy is Derrick Rose level''. He's way beyond that.
    Basketball.

We didn't shop AD's pick around for an All-Star, because he was perceived to be a generational talent, much like Zion. The #1 pick can be and has been more coveted that the league's best veteran players.

Who is saying any GM thinks AD is Derrick Rose level? Conjecture. I'm pointing out AD when drafted in regards to the two best players in the league that year to Zion being drafted in regards to AD one of the best players in the league this year. Thanks for your spin. You've made a false representation of my point to one which is easily disproved. Typical.

Since you brought up Garnett, even his 7 for 1 deal had a top 3 protection on Bostons #1 pick and he had already won an MVP.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 03-27-2019 at 08:35 PM.

I'll also add, the team that loses out on AD stands to lose more than what they would win if they get him.

If LAL doesn't get him, they now have to rebuild EVERYTHING. Literally everything but LeBron.

If NYK, loses out and say....Boston...gets him and entices Kyrie to stay, Boston absolutely light it up that season. When the season ends and LAL is totally gutted, AD could very easily decide to stay in Boston. They become the new Eastern superpower. NY missing AD isn't just them missing a player, it also means it's highly likely the next super power forms in their own conference.

Same for Boston, if they miss out and NYK get him, and let's say one of those other rumors pans out and NY gets KD or Kyrie.....boom.....the new superpower is in their conference.

There are some elite FAs that may be waiting to see where AD lands that helps our position a ton because the fear of another team getting AD and convincing one or two of those elite FAs to join in will be scaring them to break it up.

The Knicks would be stupid not to offer Zion if they have a chance at Kyrie and Durant. AD will bring talent with him. Zion will not coerce those players.

He wasn't shipped because nobody was willing to offer a generational 26yr old 6'11" freak of nature that is a 5 tier player. Name anybody that was as good as AD is now,in 2012 that was made available? You are comparing "after the fact" Derrick Rose. It would be complete lunacy if New York didn't trade Zion for AD. I mean, like true LUNACY.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The Knicks would be stupid not to offer Zion if they have a chance at Kyrie and Durant. AD will bring talent with him. Zion will not coerce those players.
    Not even mentioning that AD would make Knicks instant Playoff contenders. Zion would NOT. He would be a draw, but his W/L differential would be minimal.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Not even mentioning that AD would make Knicks instant Playoff contenders. Zion would NOT. He would be a draw, but his W/L differential would be minimal.
    Zion will be better than AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. Zion is all potential, but has yet to prove ANYTHING on an NBA level.

AD is arguably the best player in the league when engaged, should already have a DPOY, top three MVP finish twice by the age of 26. More 40/15 games than anyone since 1990, including Shaq. AD is a transcendent talent, proven, entering his prime. Zion is totally unproven and is years away from peak performance.

Very informative you are. & Silly.

Link?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Come on!!!! Are you guys BLIND???? Lmao this is the next Lebron James. You think my statement is unreasonable? Watch him play. I’m comfortable with saying he will be better than AD. Watch him play. He’s going to kill it in the NBA. This IS the next LeBron. Don’t be foolish. Yeah, he’s not in the league yet. He’s gonna be a rookie. He’ll have growing pains. BUT, when we talk around this time next year you will have more evidence that supports my claim. Zion is going to be better than AD. His physical ability and basketball IQ is unmatched. His skill set is more advanced than ADs skill set when AD was in college. Don’t give me your silly arguments about skill. AD has improved his skills dramatically over time but Zion is good at everything already. His handles and explosiveness are better than ADs were when AD was at Kentucky. This is not an opinion. His facilitation skills and IQ are equal and maybe a little higher than ADs when AD was at Kentucky. His ability to score and be aggressive and is already way through the roof. He’s going to kill everyone in the league. His defense is surreal. I know you guys think my claim is speculative but it really isn’t. It’s reasonable to believe that Zion could actually be better than AD. If Zion can improve 3 point shooting and develop the ability to be a primary ball handler it’s over. He will destroy opponents.

Come on!!!! Are you guys BLIND???? Lmao this is the next Lebron James. You think my statement is unreasonable? Watch him play. I’m comfortable with saying he will be better than AD. Watch him play. He’s going to kill it in the NBA. This IS the next LeBron. Don’t be foolish. Yeah, he’s not in the league yet. He’s gonna be a rookie. He’ll have growing pains. BUT, when we talk around this time next year you will have more evidence that supports my claim. Zion is going to be better than AD. His physical ability and basketball IQ is unmatched. His skill set is more advanced than ADs skill set when AD was in college. Don’t give me your silly arguments about skill. AD has improved his skills dramatically over time but Zion is good at everything already. His handles and explosiveness are better than ADs were when AD was at Kentucky. This is not an opinion. His facilitation skills and IQ are equal and maybe a little higher than ADs when AD was at Kentucky. His ability to score and be aggressive and is already way through the roof. He’s going to kill everyone in the league. His defense is surreal. I know you guys think my claim is speculative but it really isn’t. It’s reasonable to believe that Zion could actually be better than AD. If Zion can improve 3 point shooting and develop the ability to be a primary ball handler it’s over. He will destroy opponents.

A lot of "ifs" to declare that he will be better than AD. He certainly could become better, but that is all a huge projection and not a definite.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    A lot of "ifs" to declare that he will be better than AD. He certainly could become better, but that is all a huge projection and not a definite.
    Exactly my point, 100% agreed.

Zion COULD end up better than AD. Sure, I don't think that's a ridiculous thing to say at all. It is totally possible.

But if you are a team (like the Knicks) and you have a chance to sign Kyrie and Durant and try to win a championship RIGHT NOW, and you have to pick who to add to that mixture, who do you pick? 18 year old rookie with mountains of promise but a risk of failure (even if that risk is 1% of something equally small), or do you pick the 26 year old 2x MVP finalist, 6x all-star and 5x all-NBA guy who puts up historic numbers on the regular?

If you pick the rookie in that situation, you're missing a trick.

At some point, Zion will be better than AD. But that point likely won't be in the duration of the contracts that Kyrie and Durant will sign this summer. That is why NY would be willing to give up the pick. They do not (nor should they) care about 7 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    At some point, Zion will be better than AD. But that point likely won't be in the duration of the contracts that Kyrie and Durant will sign this summer. That is why NY would be willing to give up the pick. They do not (nor should they) care about 7 years from now.
    I will say, maybe a controversial view here, that I don't actually think that's guaranteed. I'm totally open that it could happen, but I think that AD, when engaged, is truly a transcendentally talented basketball player. AD on his best night might be as good as pretty much anyone who's ever played.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I will say, maybe a controversial view here, that I don't actually think that's guaranteed. I'm totally open that it could happen, but I think that AD, when engaged, is truly a transcendentally talented basketball player. AD on his best night might be as good as pretty much anyone who's ever played.
    Davis is an awesome player. Zion is an athletic freak and that’s all we know. Zion being the next Lebron is crazy. If he could get even close to what AD can do now that would be a great career but personally I think he’ll be a good nba power forward that excels at grabbing boards and hustling. I’m not saying I don’t want him but people’s expectations of him are way overblown and he’s going to have a hard time meeting them.

Thread Information