Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boston Adds Another Weapon for AD Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Davis is an awesome player. Zion is an athletic freak and that’s all we know. Zion being the next Lebron is crazy. If he could get even close to what AD can do now that would be a great career but personally I think he’ll be a good nba power forward that excels at grabbing boards and hustling. I’m not saying I don’t want him but people’s expectations of him are way overblown and he’s going to have a hard time meeting them.
    I think Zion really does have all of the potential in the world. He could end up being a top ten player of all time. For all we know, he could end up being the next Lebron. But acting as if that's guaranteed is ludicrous.

Zion is, like you say, an athletic freak. He's skilled in the post, he's got a good knack for rebounding, he's active on defense, he's a pretty sharp (if a little unimaginative) as a passer, and he's ultra efficient around the rim. All of that is great. If he can carry those skills through into the NBA, and even be average from three, he'll be a top ten player in the league without much issue. The problem is, is that the jump between ''top 10 player'' to ''best player in the league'' is a huge leap. Think about it this way:

Coming into this season, ESPN had Damian Lillard ranked as the 10th best player in the league. Their number 1 was Lebron James. Damian Lillard is amazing. He's got a bunch of skills, a great mindset, he plays hard, he's fearless, and he's got real heart. He's not Lebron James. His career best season doesn't match the worst season Lebron's had in the last decade (this season).

Damian Lillard 2016-17: 27pts, 4.9rbds, 5.9asts, 0.9stls, 0.3blks, 44.4% FG, 37% 3pt, +5 Net Rating, 4.3 BPM, 4.3 VORP, .185 WS/48, 24.1 PER
    Lebron James this year: 27.9pts, 8.7rbds, 8.6asts, 1.4stls, 0.6blks, 51% FG, 33% 3pt, +6 Net Rating, 8.1 BPM, 4.9 VORP, .180 WS/48, 25.8 PER

Zion could easily end up being a Damian Lillard caliber player. Maybe he'll end up being an Embiid caliber player. But acting like he's just automatically in that Lebron, KD, Giannis, AD category as a given, before he even plays a single minute of NBA ball, is almost asking for him to disappoint you.
    Basketball.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Even if Zion is better than AD, you look at how long it took AD to be AD, he would've been a total non-factor on a contending team his rookie and sophomore years. If the Knicks can put current AD, Kyrie and KD on a team together they really should do it. Add that team to the fact that the Warriors would be losing Durant and Lebron would likely not be getting AD for help and you could realistically win a championship next year.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I will say, maybe a controversial view here, that I don't actually think that's guaranteed. I'm totally open that it could happen, but I think that AD, when engaged, is truly a transcendentally talented basketball player. AD on his best night might be as good as pretty much anyone who's ever played.
    I don't think it's guaranteed, but, given the age difference, I'd say it's extremely likely barring injury. Not that Zion will be better than prime AD, but that, say 2029 Zion will be better than 2029 AD.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I don't think it's guaranteed, but, given the age difference, I'd say it's extremely likely barring injury. Not that Zion will be better than prime AD, but that, say 2029 Zion will be better than 2029 AD.
    Well, I agree with that, but that's not really the discussion that's I was having. I agree that when AD is 36 years old and Zion is only 28, Zion will almost certainly be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    People really think a proven MVP canidate in his prime will not be traded for unproven college phenom ?
    ummm...yes and it's not even close.

You're looking at things from a basketball only standpoint if you believe teams are going to give up zion for AD.

AD, as excellent as he is, isn't much in terms of star power. Relative to how good he is.

look at it this way- we all want/clamor for zion. There is...uh...a reason for that. a lot of it is the basketball, but it's more than that. And if we want something, then chances are other people really want it to. Damn if we win the lottery I can't wait to see zion dunking for us....holy sheeet. Thats a 10/10 excitement level. Other teams feel the same way. He already has 10x the charisma at age 18/19 than AD has as a veteran nba player....

there is absolutely no buzz or desire right now on the knicks forum to trade zion(if the 14% happens) for AD.

these threads involving zion are good for a laugh though......

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Zion could easily end up being a Damian Lillard caliber player. Maybe he'll end up being an Embiid caliber player. But acting like he's just automatically in that Lebron, KD, Giannis, AD category as a given, before he even plays a single minute of NBA ball, is almost asking for him to disappoint you.
    A damian lillard caliber player with zion's charisma and entertainment value is worth more than Anthony Davis to NBA teams. The value of a player in the nba to teams is more than just what his PER is.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    there is absolutely no buzz or desire right now on the knicks forum to trade zion(if the 14% happens) for AD.
    And we all know that those are the true decision makers!

A damian lillard caliber player with zion's charisma and entertainment value is worth more than Anthony Davis to NBA teams. The value of a player in the nba to teams is more than just what his PER is.
    An NBA championship is worth more than anything. If NYK think they can get Kyrie, KD, and AD on the same team they are gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    And we all know that those are the true decision makers!
    If forum posters were the decision makers, we would have traded AD to LA back in February to make certain names on here happy, Gentry would have lost his job well over a year ago to make other names on here happy, Dell Demps would have been fired in 2015, Demarcus Cousins would have been offered a full max to stay here, and we'd currently be paying Brandon Knight.

So yeah, good thing forum posters don't actually hold all the keys.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    An NBA championship is worth more than anything. If NYK think they can get Kyrie, KD, and AD on the same team they are gonna do it.
    This is what I was thinking also. Knicks win a championship and Pelicans start over with Ja Morant or Zion. And also with a surprise superstar player at pick 6-9.

As far as Boston assets for a potential AD trade: The pre-lottery odds for the Memphis pick conveying or rolling forward will be determined tonight.

Either a Memphis loss to Golden State or a Dallas victory against San Antonio will send the pick into the future.*

If Memphis wins and Dallas loses, there will be a three way tie for the 7,8,9 draft spots between Memphis, Dallas, and New Orleans. Then, there will be a random drawing to determine the draft hierarchy among those teams.

After that, *the lottery could shake things up again. The odds now favor the pick not being conveyed this year, which would increase its value.
    Last edited by Gant-; 04-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.

You're looking at things from a basketball only standpoint if you believe teams are going to give up zion for AD.
    Which is why many teams wouldn't make that trade if they won the lottery. A team trying desperately to win (think Knicks with Kyrie and KD), however, is only going to be concerned with basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    This is what I was thinking also. Knicks win a championship and Pelicans start over with Ja Morant or Zion. And also with a surprise superstar player at pick 6-9.
    Also add in the player/players we will likely get from the team along with their pick. This off season has the potential to completely change the course of this franchise and set us up as one of the best young and upcoming teams that can be great when a lot of these teams will be breaking up or old. We will be similar to the Sixers and Bucks imo where we can go make a couple of moves bringing in some good players once we think we are at that point to go win a championship. We hit on our 2 top 10 picks and trading AD will be the best thing that could have ever happened for us. I have a feeling the Knicks will be our trade partner which basically guarantees us a top 3 pick. I just don’t know what they will do if they get the 1st pick and have the chance to get Zion. I would be very happy with RJ or Ja as well and it would be a guarantee if we wanted to trade with them if that pick lands in the 2-3 range.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.

In case you're wondering what picks might the Pelicans get in a potential Boston trade— it's a wide range of possibilities. All four of Boston's potential first rounders ended in two and three way ties. In addition to the Memphis pick rolling forward into the future, here are the current possibilities:

Ryan Bernardoni: ‏ Celtics could potentially own any of these picks: 2 3 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 18 19 20 21 22 24 51 52

https://twitter.com/dangercart/statu...11782774255620
    https://twitter.com/dangercart/statu...13593031602177

That's 15 different first round spots that are still possible.
    Last edited by Gant-; 04-11-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Thread Information