Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: For Tankers viewing pleasure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm not sure I thought when they extended him it was for another season but maybe it was 2.

My take is that they came to Gentry and said we can't make any promises about your future, that will be what the new GM determines. We plan on tanking the rest of the season, are you good with doing that or do we need to put someone else in place who will and you lose any chance of retaining your job?
    Ok, that's doable. I don't think that's what happened, but doable.
    I don't think they told him anything.
    But, if anyone heard what "The Lady in Black & Gold" said at the NFL meetings, it would lead one to believe that the Swiffer is out.
    If they keep Ferry & then turn around & keep Gentry, the fan base will have an aneurysm !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Ok, that's doable. I don't think that's what happened, but doable.
    I don't think they told him anything.
    But, if anyone heard what "The Lady in Black & Gold" said at the NFL meetings, it would lead one to believe that the Swiffer is out.
    If they keep Ferry & then turn around & keep Gentry, the fan base will have an aneurysm !
    I strongly believe as soon as Dell was fired that Ferry and Mrs B sat down with Gentry and explained the situation along with their expectations for the rest of the season.

She's wrong. Dallas won today so we are currently in a 4way tie. Currently all 4 teams have a ~6.8% chance.

However by the end of the night these standings will be different.

The Franchise
    Bad that the wiz couldn’t beat the knicks but we also beating the kings. Blah.

It would be surprising if the Celtics did not try to hand the Wizards a win in their last game:

Now it's definite on Boston resting everyone, partially in an attempt to give Washington a win:

*Plus Jonathan Gibson, who was just signed Tuesday morning.
    Last edited by Gant-; 04-09-2019 at 11:08 AM.

It’s better for Boston if we end up with Zion. Tank BFF’s

Even if Washington won, we probably would win just to screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Even if Washington won, we probably would win just to screw it up.
    This is refreshing coming from you sir!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Watch Ojeleye drop 40 somehow for the win. Nothing goes our way.
    Basketball.

Doubt it. Ferry and Gentry aren't awful, rolling the dice regardless. Something new always feels good but not always the best decision. It's not insane to keep people around with context in the midst of trading away a superstar. Moving so many pieces in such a small window of time can be more disruptive than anyone here seems to want to acknowledge.

Crazy hypothesis. Ferry GM. Gentry POBO. Finch HC. The take one of the assistant GM's interviewed, pay them more with the intention for Ferry to move to POBO when Gentry retires and said assistant to be promoted to GM.

Fire away...
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 04-10-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: My bad, I did say Finch. I meant Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Doubt it. Ferry and Gentry aren't awful, rolling the dice regardless. Something new always feels good but not always the best decision. It's not insane to keep people around with context in the midst of trading away a superstar. Moving so many pieces in such a small window of time can be more disruptive than anyone here seems to want to acknowledge.

Crazy hypothesis. Ferry GM. Gentry POBO. Finch HC. The take one of the assistant GM's interviewed, pay them more with the intention for Finch to move to POBO when Gentry retires and said assistant to be promoted to GM.

Fire away...
    Gentry should be nowhere near this team, let alone in the POBO role. He does his best work as an assistant coach, because he knows how to run a modern offense. That appears to be ALL he knows. That's a definite skill, and he does it well, but anyone in any executive position needs the ability to plan long term, to make short term sacrifices for long term gain, and to have a legitimate vision. Gentry doesn't appear to have any of that.

If Gentry was POBO, we'd have made the Lakers trade back in February. If that, on its own, doesn't tell you his style of leadership, then I don't think we're looking at the same man.

Crazy hypothesis. Ferry GM. Gentry POBO. Finch HC. The take one of the assistant GM's interviewed, pay them more with the intention for Finch to move to POBO when Gentry retires and said assistant to be promoted to GM.

Fire away...
    That final paragraph seems to be EXACTLY the direction "The Lady in Black & Gold" said we were going! Sounds like a clean sweep to me! Ugh !

That final paragraph seems to be EXACTLY the direction "The Lady in Black & Gold" said we were going! Sounds like a clean sweep to me! Ugh !
    It's disgusting. Seems like the team is ACTIVELY TRYING to have the most disappointing possible approach to things.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope they hire Griffin or Langdon, and send Gentry packing completely.

Just as a side note, if Gentry gets promoted from HC to POBO, he will instantly rocket himself into my top ten list of examples for "failing upwards"

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Watch Ojeleye drop 40 somehow for the win. Nothing goes our way.
    Or Terry becomes scary and drops 54 for a new contract in the off season. Also Jamal Crawford and Jimmer goes Bezerk tonight and destroy the Mavs

Just as a side note, if Gentry gets promoted from HC to POBO, he will instantly rocket himself into my top ten list of examples for "failing upwards"
    There is ZERO chance that both Ferry & Gentry are back.

I hope so, but with this franchise I'll believe it when I see it. No faith in the teams management right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Or Terry becomes scary and drops 54 for a new contract in the off season. Also Jamal Crawford and Jimmer goes Bezerk tonight and destroy the Mavs
    Jimmer gets possessed by Chinese Jimmer and puts up 37 points on 40+% from 3.

Ok We will see.

If Gentry was POBO, we'd have made the Lakers trade back in February.
    Prove it

Ok We will see.

Prove it
    Shamit Dua, one of the few voices worth trusting on Pelicans issues, said on an episode of In the NO back in February that there was one voice in the FO pushing the accept the Lakers trade, and that voice was Gentry. According to Shamit, Gentry wanted the drama over and believes that Lonzo Ball would thrive under his system.

Therefore, if Gentry had executive power over trades, it's not absurd at all the believe he would have made the trade that he was (according to one of the best Pels guys) very strongly in favour of.

Shamit Dua, one of the few voices worth trusting on Pelicans issues, said on an episode of In the NO back in February that there was one voice in the FO pushing the accept the Lakers trade, and that voice was Gentry. According to Shamit, Gentry wanted the drama over and believes that Lonzo Ball would thrive under his system.

Therefore, if Gentry had executive power over trades, it's not absurd at all the believe he would have made the trade that he was (according to one of the best Pels guys) very strongly in favour of.
    Hope fully at about 9:30 pm CST, the axe will come down, immediately after Gentry beats the W's .

Hope fully at about 9:30 pm CST, the axe will come down, immediately after Gentry beats the W's .
    I would hope so, but don't expect it. I saw somewhere on twitter today that we shouldn't be expecting the new GM to be announced this week, for example. Seems like the head honchos are in the process of taking their sweet time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Jimmer can really score. That isn't what's kept him out of the league. There's several American guys overseas who can score like crazy. They're just too small or thin or clueless to stay on the court in the NBA.

Thread Information