Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: For Tankers viewing pleasure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Finally, someone who actually likes Langford.

Can you tell me what people are seeing in him?
    I think that of the 10-12 players at 6-10 that we can grab, Langford wouldn't be on my list at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I think that of the 10-12 players at 6-10 that we can grab, Langford wouldn't be on my list at all.
    Wouldn't be on mine either. That's why I'm hoping they can tell me why they like him, cause I just don't understand the hype.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If we don’t get top 4 or so, I’d prefer to just go Bol Bol and build the offense around him shooting 3’s every possession.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If we don’t get top 4 or so, I’d prefer to just go Bol Bol and build the offense around him shooting 3’s every possession.
    Solid plan

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Seems well thought out!

just a quick question...do you all think if the Pels landed the number 1 pick, would AD change his mind and want to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    just a quick question...do you all think if the Pels landed the number 1 pick, would AD change his mind and want to stay?
    If we got the No. 1 pick, I wouldnt give a rats arse what AD wanted. We take Zion at 1 & we either trade with Boston & get Tatum or trade w/ Knicks and get Morant. Either way, AD can take his BetaButt up the road.

Maybe, but I don't really want him back now. We get super lucky and land Zion with our own pick, then we can make any number of other trades either to net us immediately players, or for the #2 pick or something.

No. NBA veterans do not want to play with rookies. See LeBron trading Wiggins for Love.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Wouldn't be on mine either. That's why I'm hoping they can tell me why they like him, cause I just don't understand the hype.
    One I think he’s a local kid. The couple times I’ve watched him, Indiana depends on him handling the ball and driving which I like and I like when players on his team defer to him (alpha mentality). The scary part is he’s not a great shooter but I didn’t see him just jacking shots like Barrett. I’d put him and Barrett in the same tier because of their size, athleticism, and playmaking ability (handling and drive/kick). Now I’m not saying I want him early but hope to grab him 10 and lower but I feel He’ll go higher than he should because it’s a weak draft.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    The Wizards win over the Suns has us tied for 8th with Washington. Keep losing! We can do this!!

A little wrinkle on the Pelicans and tanking:

New Orleans is likely to deal with Boston. Boston owns a lot of draft picks.
    Boston's most valuable pick could turn out to be the one from Memphis, which is protected top 8 this year, top 6 next year, then unprotected. If the pick rolls over to 2021* it could become an awesome asset.
    There's a decent chance New Orleans ends up owning that pick.
    That Memphis pick decreases in value should the Grizzlies finish 9th or better.
    One of the key teams on that 8-9 borderline, is the Pelicans. If they finish with the 8th worst record, it's likely because Memphis finishes 9th.

In this scenario, the Pels would be getting a MORE valuable future Memphis pick by finishing with the 9th worst record themselves rather than the 8th. New Orleans could easily get better draft picks overall by finishing above Memphis in the standings.

* 2021 is the double stacked draft due to high schoolers becoming eligible.
    Last edited by Gant-; 03-28-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gant- View Post
    A little wrinkle on the Pelicans and tanking:

New Orleans is likely to deal with Boston. Boston owns a lot of draft picks.
    Boston's most valuable pick could turn out to be the one from Memphis, which is protected top 8 this year, top 6 next year, then unprotected. If the pick rolls over to 2021* it could become an awesome asset.
    There's a decent chance New Orleans ends up owning that pick.
    That Memphis pick decreases in value should the Grizzlies finish 9th or better.
    One of the key teams on that 8-9 borderline, is the Pelicans. If they finish with the 8th worst record, it's likely because Memphis finishes 9th.

In this scenario, the Pels would be getting a MORE valuable future Memphis pick by finishing with the 9th worst record themselves rather than the 8th. New Orleans could easily get better draft picks overall by finishing above Memphis in the standings.

* (2021 is the double stacked draft due to high schoolers becoming eligible.)
    The thing is, you need to control what you can control. It may be the case that we deal with Boston, but we also may not. We may end up dealing with New York, or the Nets, or LA, or any number of potential unforeseen deals like Chicago or Atlanta. That choice comes after the season end, and it may result in us getting the #1 pick in a trade, or a #2 pick, or multiple picks across several years, or good players mixed with picks, or again, any number of things.

Therefore, given that all of those details are unknown, we have to maximise certainties. There's a chance that we don't end up getting a high draft pick in the AD trade, sure, but that doesn't matter so much if we luck out and get a top 4 pick with our own pick. Maybe that means the Memphis pick conveys to Boston at #9, which isn't quite as preferable as having it stay for the 2021 draft, but imagine how stupid we look if we try and make sure the Memphis pick does convey, weaken our own draft pick by winning, and then end up taking a New York deal for the #1 pick anyway. Then, all we've done is make our own pick worse to help Boston.

Gotta handle one thing at a time, and right now, that's our pick. What happens to Memphis happens, and we make judgments around that after when considering trades.

I see one of 3 trades happening all depending where Kyrie Irving signs and how the draft lottery falls

Boston: AD for Tatum, Smart, Baynes, Memphis 1st round pick, and Sacramento 1st round pick

Knicks: AD and 2 2nd round picks for PG Smith, PG Ntilikina, SG Trier, SG Dotson, SF Knox, SF Thomas, C Robinson, 2019 Knicks 1st round pick, and the 2 Dallas first round picks received in the Porzingis trade.

Chicago: AD for Markkanen, Carter Jr, Felicio, Dunn, and 2019 Chicago 1st round pick

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I see one of 3 trades happening all depending where Kyrie Irving signs and how the draft lottery falls

Boston: AD for Tatum, Smart, Baynes, Memphis 1st round pick, and Sacramento 1st round pick

Knicks: AD and 2 2nd round picks for PG Smith, PG Ntilikina, SG Trier, SG Dotson, SF Knox, SF Thomas, C Robinson, 2019 Knicks 1st round pick, and the 2 Dallas first round picks received in the Porzingis trade.

Chicago: AD for Markkanen, Carter Jr, Felicio, Dunn, and 2019 Chicago 1st round pick
    So, Baynes is a Free Agent, sooo that doesnt work.
    Scrap Felicio, unless you know that I can get rid of his salary. Hes not worth 7 1/2 mill per.. Dunn is NOT an upgrade from EP !
    Knicks trade wont work $$$ ... And there is NO WAY, Knicks give up all of those assets. You have them giving up 3 1st rounders that are on the team already & 3 more?

So, Baynes is a Free Agent, sooo that doesnt work.
    Scrap Felicio, unless you know that I can get rid of his salary. Hes not worth 7 1/2 mill per.. Dunn is NOT an upgrade from EP !
    Knicks trade wont work $$$ ... And there is NO WAY, Knicks give up that.
    So add Brown and take out Baynes and the Sacramento first.

Including that many players in the Knicks deal is the only way the salary works.

Dunn is a throw in backup PG. We would then re-sign Payton to be the starter. Felicio is salary filler.
    The prize is Markkanen, Carter J.R., and a likely top 4 pick in the draft.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 03-28-2019 at 11:36 AM.

So add Brown and take out Baynes and the Sacramento first.

Including that many players in the Knicks deal is the only way the salary works.

Dunn is a throw in backup PG. We would then re-sign Payton to be the starter. Felicio is salary filler.
    The prize is Markkanen, Carter J.R., and a likely top 4 pick in the draft.
    I throw out Felicio Carter & Dunn. I want Lavine & Markannan. No filler needed.

I throw out Felicio Carter & Dunn. I want Lavine & Markannan. No filler needed.
    Why would Chicago trade Lavine and Markkanen for a rental in AD? AD wouldn’t re-sign without them having a second star. Their big 3 would be Davis, Lavine, and Porter.

Why would Chicago trade Lavine and Markkanen for a rental in AD? AD wouldn’t re-sign without them having a second star. Their big 3 would be Davis, Lavine, and Porter.
    Let me clarify. My bad. a few weeks ago, we had a discussion regarding a trade proposal I introduced.

Boston receives AD & Solo
    Chicago receives Smart, Brown, Memphis & Sac picks So, Chicago gets either Zion or Morant by keeping their pick
    Pels receive Tatum, Markannan, Lavine & Clips or Boston Pick. We keep our pick & get 1 more.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.

BTW- HUGE fan of Markannan. So, if there is a feasible way to get him, I would LEAP

Let me clarify. My bad. a few weeks ago, we had a discussion regarding a trade proposal I introduced.

Boston receives AD & Solo
    Chicago receives Smart, Brown, Memphis & Sac picks So, Chicago gets either Zion or Morant by keeping their pick
    Pels receive Tatum, Markannan, Lavine & Clips or Boston Pick. We keep our pick & get 1 more.
    I don’t see why Chicago would ever want to do that. It’s a beautiful fantasy though. Plus the salaries don’t work with AD and Solo for essentially Tatum, Smart, and Brown. It takes those 3 just to cover AD’s salary.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 03-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.

I don’t see why Chicago would ever want to do that. It’s a beautiful fantasy though.
    Chicago wouldnt want to get Smart at 12 million to replace Lavine at 17.5 ---- Brown & 2 first round picks for Markannan . Huh !

So you have Smart, Brown, Porter, (ZION/MORANT possibly) & 2 extra 1st rounders.(1 possibly unprotected in 2021 .)
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-28-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Chicago wouldnt want to get Smart at 12 million to replace Lavine at 17.5 ---- Brown & 2 first round picks for Markannan . Huh !

So you have Smart, Brown, Porter, (ZION/MORANT possibly) & 2 extra 1st rounders.(1 possibly unprotected in 2021 .)
    Smart is no where near Lavine’s Talent. The Bulls can get Zion or Morant if they draw the 1st or 2nd pick on their own. Markkanen and Lavine are both individually better than Brown and Smart. The deal makes no sense.

Smart is no where near Lavine’s Talent. The Bulls can get Zion or Morant if they draw the 1st or 2nd pick on their own. Markkanen and Lavine are both individually better than Brown and Smart. The deal makes no sense.
    As far as getting ZION on their own. Who said otherwise? I know that.
    Smart is exponentially better than Lavine on Defense. No comparison. He's cheaper & NEVER hurt.
    I know plenty of players with so-called "more talent" that arent BETTER PLAYERS than the other.
    As far as your assertion that both are better than the 2 Boston players (which I dont agree with)! you did NOTICE the 2 draft choices didnt you? Thats how trades work. If you think your player is better than the incoming player, well, you ask for draft picks. Thus, the 2 draft picks.
    Markannan better than Brown= Yes. Lavine better than Smart= NO ! 2 1st round picks better than nothing= YES!
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.

I don’t see why Chicago would ever want to do that. It’s a beautiful fantasy though. Plus the salaries don’t work with AD and Solo for essentially Tatum, Smart, and Brown. It takes those 3 just to cover AD’s salary.
    C'mon man.I put the major players in there. Boston would shed 2 or 3 more salaries. It works fine.

Thread Information