Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do we do about Elfrid?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Depends on what we get back from the AD trade. For example if we get Tatum, Smart, plus picks I could see us fielding a competitive team that's fun to watch but also has future hope due to Tatum and picks.

But I'm not rushing to compete just for the sake of willing a few more games.
    That's basically my view. Sure, if we can do a good rebuild in one off-season and field a winning team next season without harming our long term prospects, then of course that's what we should do. But if that can't be done, I don't see why we should compromise our future odds of success for the sake of a 32 win season over a 25 win season.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Don't blame anyone else if their point of view is different. Everyone has their own perspective, and I can only contribute mine.
    Huh- I thought I specifically stated that your POV wasn't wrong! Not quite sure who you're arguing with?

That's where good ownership realizes what's best for the long term health of the franchise and doesn't reach for short-term selling a few more tickets if it harms long term games. It's not like selling an extra few thousand tickets a game for 2 years is going to break Mrs Benson financially. Nor do I even think she would lose money in those 2 seasons.

But what will lose fans long term isn't two bad seasons if there's hope at the end of it. What loses fans long term is horrible game day experiences and being stuck in purgatory without the cap space or picks to do anything about it. Until we actually have that franchise player we shouldn't be rushing anything.

Depends on what we get back from the AD trade. For example if we get Tatum, Smart, plus picks I could see us fielding a competitive team that's fun to watch but also has future hope due to Tatum and picks.

But I'm not rushing to compete just for the sake of willing a few more games.
    "selling a few more tickets"'is a non sequitur.
    I didn't say "selling a few more tickets"
    There is a huge difference between selling a few extra tickets & actually losing current STH .
    When folks leave, their return is much less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    "selling a few more tickets"'is a non sequitur.
    I didn't say "selling a few more tickets"
    There is a huge difference between selling a few extra tickets & actually losing current STH .
    When folks leave, their return is much less likely.
    New fans will take their place if you put out a good product eventually and old fans will come back too. Sure there might be some that don't come back but usually season ticket holders are the ones who actually keep up with the team and can understand a rebuild.

When you rebuild usually its the casual fans you lose, but winning always brings them back anyway.

New fans will take their place if you put out a good product eventually and old fans will come back too. Sure there might be some that don't come back but usually season ticket holders are the ones who actually keep up with the team and can understand a rebuild.

When you rebuild usually its the casual fans you lose, not as much the season ticket holders.
    Ok. I'm not sure if you're STH, but I've been one for over a decade & O talk with these people for over an hour before games & im telling you that, in my experiences with these folks, your take on how they react is not correct.
    I'm not saying that you're opinion is incorrect, but I am saying that I don't agree
    With you based on my communications with STH's

If you would like to replace PELICANS with SAINTS then I would absolutely agree with you. But NBA in N.O. Is not easy peasy "if you build it they will come" .

Huh- I thought I specifically stated that your POV wasn't wrong! Not quite sure who you're arguing with?
    Not arguing, just summing up.

Not arguing, just summing up.
    I don't recall blaming anybody for anything .

Ok. I'm not sure if you're STH, but I've been one for over a decade & O talk with these people for over an hour before games & im telling you that, in my experiences with these folks, your take on how they react is not correct.
    I'm not saying that you're opinion is incorrect, but I am saying that I don't agree
    With you based on my communications with STH's
    I was a STH for 2 years but the drive was just too long to make most of my games, especially now with a kid. I still use my rep to buy tickets and now just get packages, the packages still entitle me to playoff games too, so I dunno what you'd call me now.

You can believe whatever you want but unless you are saying you believe New Orleans will not support a successful team them losing for a couple seasons will not kill the team.

Heck we've had AD for 7 years, only went to the playoffs twice, and only won one series. Is that really the success we can't do without for 2 seasons while we rebuild?

I was a STH for 2 years but the drive was just too long to make most of my games, especially now with a kid. I still use my rep to buy tickets and now just get packages, the packages still entitle me to playoff games too, so I dunno what you'd call me now.

You can believe whatever you want but unless you are saying you believe New Orleans will not support a successful team them losing for a couple seasons will not kill the team.

Heck we've had AD for 7 years, only went to the playoffs twice, and only won one series. Is that really the success we can't do without for 2 seasons while we rebuild?
    What I'm saying is- With AD leaving, work-a-day STH's see doom and gloom & are not interested in spending another 20 grand for 2-3 yrs of stinking. They don't know what Bird rights or TO or PO or QO or MLE is & don't care.
    Hell, if it was free, then no problem.

What I'm saying is- With AD leaving, work-a-day STH's see doom and gloom & are not interested in spending another 20 grand for 2-3 yrs of stinking. They don't know what Bird rights or TO or PO or QO or MLE is & don't care.
    Hell, if it was free, then no problem.
    That's why it's important to see what we get for AD. Get Tatum or Zion or some player like that and you can still sell the fans on a rebuild while watching young players.

If Phoenix can survive like 6 years of tanking and Philly can survive, whatever they were, I think we can manage a couple of years.

I don't recall blaming anybody for anything .
    I never said you did.

Don't blame anyone else if their point of view is different. Everyone has their own perspective, and I can only contribute mine.
    ???

That's why it's important to see what we get for AD. Get Tatum or Zion or some player like that and you can still sell the fans on a rebuild while watching young players.

If Phoenix can survive like 6 years of tanking and Philly can survive, whatever they were, I think we can manage a couple of years.
    Agree to disagree . Anyway , I'm watching Ja Morant right now & he is frightening.

Draft Morant, give elf the mle, keep Frank. We good. Lol

Morant has a ton of potential. I still like Zion over him if we get the number one pick, but whoever has the number 2 pick will have some real fuel for a trade too.

Agree to disagree . Anyway , I'm watching Ja Morant right now & he is frightening.

Which part do you disagree with? Do you think that Zion can't sell tickets or that while Phoenix and Philly could survive a half decade or more of tanking that Nola couldn't put up with 2 years?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'd run the risk of losing the franchise and stinking if that's the best route to actually WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. The whole "let's be competitive every year just for the sake of being competitive" is completely ********tarded to me. I'm not here for the participation trophy.

???
    I left out the subject of the sentence because I didn't feel like it was necessary. When I said "Don't blame anyone else if their point of view is different", what I meant is "[I] don't blame anyone else". Apologies for ambiguity.

\
    All the this. Best we've done in the AD era is the 8th seed and only twice. That's not a very high ceiling for the new era to have to compete against. We will get someone marketable in return for AD, that will help ticket sales. NOLA won't ever be a basketball city until there is championship or a few year stretch of playoff runs advancing past the 1st round.

Personally I think identity and look of the team needs a reboot. Uniforms, fan experiences, graphics, music all need a more contemporary urban New Orleans identity. Have Brandan Odum's be creative director, get Jay Electronica to produce music exclusively for the Pels. New Orleans is a cultural mecca and it looks like the are the Old Metairie Pelicans. The team needs to take more risks to be on the cutting edge of NBA culture. This will endear the team to younger fans and be attractive to the young players being on the "it" team of NBA culture. Even if the implemented this idea now it's almost to late, but instead of catchy squad6 and do it big campaigns, they really need to focus on culture.

Uh... something about Elfrid. I d agree he may not be necessary depending on the return for AD.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 03-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Which part do you disagree with? Do you think that Zion can't sell tickets or that while Phoenix and Philly could survive a half decade or more of tanking that Nola couldn't put up with 2 years?
    I disagree with
    1) Your specious logic that all NBA fan bases are alike. Philly has a much larger pool of fans to choose from to fill the arena & Phoenix is a city with lotsa of spare change to part with,while SUNS are spending time exploring strange new worlds. You know, large Metropolis (Tempe,Scottsdale, Glendale,Chandler), Plenty of well to do retirees,
    2) Neither Phoenix nor Philly has ever been a target of constant propaganda & inuendo of being a team that "SHOULD MOVE TO SEATTLE"
    3) I disagree with your notion that a STH that is sick & tired of losing (while spending tons of dough) & doesnt know a rats tail about Tanking or the inside workings of rebuilding is so easily going to come back three years later because the Pels are winning. New Orleans is a poor city & once those STH give up their tickets, their money becomes allocated for something else in life. Spare Change is not part of any equation.
    4) I also know that STH renewals are down 15% from same time last year.
    This team was 48-34 & swept Portland last year & couldnt sell more than 11,000 Season Tickets. So, if youre going to tell me that they are ,at this time, losing 15% (just under 1600 STH) & ZION is going to refill that jar (I say BUBKUS)
    If your going to tell me that in 2-3 years, while STINKING again, isnt gonna cost another dip in STH, (I say BUBKUS). & if youre gonna tell me that
    -> if- & thats a BIG IF (because Pels have, up to this point proven ZERO sustainability) that after one successful year in 2022, that in 2023 or 24 that fans will come pouring back in droves & reach the original 11,000 after a great 2018 season (then I say BUBKUS)
    LEASE UP- Pels will be landing at Seatac.
    As Ive stated. I want to just agree to disagree. You will not change my perception of this situation.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-22-2019 at 08:55 AM.

I left out the subject of the sentence because I didn't feel like it was necessary. When I said "Don't blame anyone else if their point of view is different", what I meant is "[I] don't blame anyone else". Apologies for ambiguity.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    All the this. Best we've done in the AD era is the 8th seed and only twice. That's not a very high ceiling for the new era to have to compete against. We will get someone marketable in return for AD, that will help ticket sales. NOLA won't every be a basketball city until there is championship or a few year stretch of playoff runs advancing past the 1st round.

Personally I think identity and look of the team needs a reboot. Uniforms, fan experiences, graphics, music all need a more contemporary urban New Orleans identity. Have Brandan Odum's be creative director, get Jay Electronica to produce music exclusively for the Pels. New Orleans is a cultural mecca and it looks like the are the Old Metairie Pelicans. The team needs to take more risks to be on the cutting edge of NBA culture. This will endear the team to younger fans and be attractive to the young players being on the "it" team of NBA culture. Even if the implemented this idea now it's almost to late, but instead of catchy squad6 and do it big campaigns, they really need to focus on culture.

Uh... something about Elfrid. I d agree he may not be necessary depending on the return for AD.
    We were 6th seed last year 1 1/2 games from 3rd.

We were 6th seed last year 1 1/2 games from 3rd.
    My bad. I was wrong about the seed last year. 1.5 games back from third doesn't matter IMO. Coulda shoulda woulda. Point I was making is still the same. Ceiling for success in post AD nola ist very high and can be reached again sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Jay Electronica to produce music exclusively for the Pels.
    You must be kidding, right? It's hard enough getting Jay Electronica to make music for his own career. Man is 42 years old and has 0 albums out. One mixtape. 12 years ago.

Thread Information