Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion #1 pick - Done Deal ? Why?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Zion #1 pick - Done Deal ? Why?

Is the highlight reel & possible butts in seats, attractive enough to draft Zion #1?
    If not, then one must wonder - In this day and age of the NBA of driving (drawing fouls) & dishing to 3pt shooters, does a player who is 6'7 1/2 that draws fouls (BUT SHOOTS 66% FT's) & (22% from 3pt range) truly worth the No. 1 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Is the highlight reel & possible butts in seats, attractive enough to draft Zion #1?
    If not, then one must wonder - In this day and age of the NBA of driving (drawing fouls) & dishing to 3pt shooters, does a player who is 6'7 1/2 that draws fouls (BUT SHOOTS 66% FT's) & (22% from 3pt range) truly worth the No. 1 pick?
    Spoken like a typical message boarder who doesn't actually watch the guy play but has seen Sportscenter and knows how to look up stats.

Sports fans in 2019, all summed up in one post. Thank you for this.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Spoken like a typical message boarder who doesn't actually watch the guy play but has seen Sportscenter and knows how to look up stats.

Sports fans in 2019, all summed up in one post. Thank you for this.
    Oh my, I'm quivering with excitement. Were you summoned ?
    Self proclaimer, ASSumption for you is a must. I've seen over dozen Duke games.
    It's nice to see that you have been pulled out of your whack-a-mole hole.
    GA25 & 3-13 must be running around in their fruit of the loom briefs waving their arms in the air. The Annointed One has arisen .
    Rinse Repeat Rinse Repeat.
    Just a beautiful & typical entrance MM.

One must note: The thread was a question, not a confrontational pellet .
    Yet, again, in order for MM to be the focal point, he leads with an attack instead of a substinative comment regarding the question.
    Just a weird dynamic .
    But, it's good to see the cameo.

There is no question that Williamson is an athletic freak, but I too have wondered if his particular skill set will transition to quick success in the NBA today. He is still the hands down #1 pick, but he is more of a throwback NBA player in the mode of a shorter, more mobile Shaq. Not exactly the typical NBA player of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    There is no question that Williamson is an athletic freak, but I too have wondered if his particular skill set will transition to quick success in the NBA today. He is still the hands down #1 pick, but he is more of a throwback NBA player in the mode of a shorter, more mobile Shaq. Not exactly the typical NBA player of today.
    Agreed. He has an awkward jump shot . No lift. That can be worked on. My concern is 66% FT shooting . Big liability late in games.

The issue is that there is no player comparison to him. No one before him has had his skillset. I don't watch a ton of Duke games but the times I did, he was incredible. His defensive IQ was through the roof and he has unprecedented athleticism. Zion is the only player in the draft I would be okay taking over Tatum. The guy is special.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    The issue is that there is no player comparison to him. No one before him has had his skillset. I don't watch a ton of Duke games but the times I did, he was incredible. His defensive IQ was through the roof and he has unprecedented athleticism. Zion is the only player in the draft I would be okay taking over Tatum. The guy is special.
    He is special because of his athleticism. But, his lack of shooting ability, ugh.He is a freak & I think his unbelievable defense is what possibly allows folks to take him despite his funky shot & weak FT shooting.

good to see you back Mac. Looking forward to May 14th

His BBIQ is off the charts. I feel like I get smarter watching him play. Watching his feet and body position on the defensive end is something that can't be taught.

It's a cliche but I believe the phrase "shooting is the easiest skill to develop" applies to him. He doesn't need to shoot 40% from 3. If he can become a consistent 33%-35% 3-pt shooter and a 70%-77% FT shooter then he will be fine. He doesn't need to be deadly, he just need to be respected from those areas. Regardless, this guy has far more potential than anyone else in the draft, despite his potentially funky fit into today's NBA.

His BBIQ is off the charts. I feel like I get smarter watching him play. Watching his feet and body position on the defensive end is something that can't be taught.

It's a cliche but I believe the phrase "shooting is the easiest skill to develop" applies to him. He doesn't need to shoot 40% from 3. If he can become a consistent 33%-35% 3-pt shooter and a 70%-77% FT shooter then he will be fine. He doesn't need to be deadly, he just need to be respected from those areas. Regardless, this guy has far more potential than anyone else in the draft, despite his potentially funky fit into today's NBA.
    Fair. In regards to your cliche -I've never heard that .& Ben Simmons !
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.

He is special because of his athleticism. But, his lack of shooting ability, ugh.He is a freak & I think his unbelievable defense is what possibly allows folks to take him despite his funky shot & weak FT shooting.
    He's in the Ben Simmons and Giannis role, Forward/Center sized playmaker who can create for others, thrive in transition, can be unstoppable going to the rim.
    Has already shown more shooting abilit
    y than all star caliber Ben Simmons. He gonna be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    He's in the Ben Simmons and Giannis role, Forward/Center sized playmaker who can create for others, thrive in transition, can be unstoppable going to the rim.
    Has already shown more shooting abilit
    y than all star caliber Ben Simmons. He gonna be just fine
    Center? He's barely pushing 6'7". He's almost 3inches shorter than Simmons & 4 inches shorter than Giannis. I see no similarities.
    I see Blake Griffin. Which is NOT a knock. Coming out of college, Griffin was super explosive. But, he is also 2-3 inches taller.
    We'll see. That's what's fun- speculating.

The issue is that there is no player comparison to him. No one before him has had his skillset.
    I actually posted something about this the other day, saying that I wasn't really sure who to compare him to. I had Charles Barkley as the best case scenario comparison, which I still think is fair due to the fact that Zion is a little undersized (though I don't actually believe the 6'7 listing, by the way, he's looked taller stood next to other players who are listed at more than that) and because of his unbelievable IQ.

Then, Mythrol reminded me of Larry Johnson, pre-injury. I do actually think Zion's ceiling is more like Barkley, but the Johnson comparison is definitely apt.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I actually posted something about this the other day, saying that I wasn't really sure who to compare him to. I had Charles Barkley as the best case scenario comparison, which I still think is fair due to the fact that Zion is a little undersized (though I don't actually believe the 6'7 listing, by the way, he's looked taller stood next to other players who are listed at more than that) and because of his unbelievable IQ.

Then, Mythrol reminded me of Larry Johnson, pre-injury. I do actually think Zion's ceiling is more like Barkley, but the Johnson comparison is definitely apt.
    Are we talking generalities or specifics?
    Larry Johnson was a very good shooter . Zion is not.
    I'm thinking Barkley. If Barkley would've been Zions height, he probably would've pushed 285. Barkley 6'5" on a good day.
    But the build & explosiveness is Barkley. IMHO .

Basketball Guru
    jackson
    jrue
    williams
    zion
    okafor

zion and okafor,,two younguns who would wear you out down low,,,draw fouls,,get points in the paint,,,rebounds,,,can collapse the defense for shooters to shoot......put some shooters and slashers around him and the team would be nice....

Basketball Guru
    you had to respect larry johnson outside game....zion is not respected for outside shooting.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    you had to respect larry johnson outside game....zion is not respected for outside shooting.....
    Pre Injury Larry Johnson shot 24.7% from 3, and it's pre-injury we're talking about. Yes, Johnson developed into a pretty good shooter from outside, but that was later in his career, when he was 25-26 years old. Zion will be 18 years old on draft night. He has plenty of time to develop his outside shot, and while he's been super unreliable in college, he has had a couple of games where you can see the potential. He has very little lift on his shot and it's not automatic by any means, but it's not broken either.

Pre Injury Larry Johnson shot 24.7% from 3, and it's pre-injury we're talking about. Yes, Johnson developed into a pretty good shooter from outside, but that was later in his career, when he was 25-26 years old. Zion will be 18 years old on draft night. He has plenty of time to develop his outside shot, and while he's been super unreliable in college, he has had a couple of games where you can see the potential. He has very little lift on his shot and it's not automatic by any means, but it's not broken either.
    Yeah, no 3pt shooter. Johnson was always a very good mid range shooter. Zion is not.

That's what makes Zion such an enigma. Can't compare.

If he did all of what he does now, warts and all, but was 250, not 285, you would _______?

Yeah, no 3pt shooter. Johnson was always a very good mid range shooter. Zion is not.
    There's some truth in that, but there's a few things to consider. Firstly is that Zion doesn't really take many mid-range shots. If he worked on it, maybe he would be very good from there, we don't know, but he doesn't work on it because today's NBA doesn't use the mid range shot very much. It's either in the paint, or it's behind the arc for the majority of players the majority of the time. So for me, my concern isn't with Zion's mid-range, but with his actual out-side shot. And while he is not a threat from deep right now, I still stand by my statement that his shot isn't broken, and he's so young that he has plenty of time to develop that.

There's some truth in that, but there's a few things to consider. Firstly is that Zion doesn't really take many mid-range shots. If he worked on it, maybe he would be very good from there, we don't know, but he doesn't work on it because today's NBA doesn't use the mid range shot very much. It's either in the paint, or it's behind the arc for the majority of players the majority of the time. So for me, my concern isn't with Zion's mid-range, but with his actual out-side shot. And while he is not a threat from deep right now, I still stand by my statement that his shot isn't broken, and he's so young that he has plenty of time to develop that.
    It's what makes this entertaining.

Basketball Guru

smdh at myself...i dont know why i was thinking zion was 21 lol.....i also was talking about his mid range game....

i dont care about zion 3pt shot...if he come to us,,i want him to get his inside and dominate and collapse the defense for shooters to hit open 3s.......i was mad that gentry wanted AD to shoot 3s instead of dominating inside the 3pt line as he do....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    smdh at myself...i dont know why i was thinking zion was 21 lol.....i also was talking about his mid range game....

i dont care about zion 3pt shot...if he come to us,,i want him to get his inside and dominate and collapse the defense for shooters to hit open 3s.......i was mad that gentry wanted AD to shoot 3s instead of dominating inside the 3pt line as he do....
    That's cool. It's partly my fault, but when I hear someone say ''outside shot'' in today's NBA, I automatically think threes.

He is super young though, yep. Will be barely a few months over 19 when he plays his first NBA game.

When Zion comes into the NBA he will already be the 2nd heaviest player in the entire league. That's really my only concern with him because if he gets injured and loses some of that athleticism that will really hurt his career. If he stays healthy he looks like an absolute force on the court.

People who watch him more than me, how's his handles and vision? Because I'm assuming playing him like Giannis or Simmons is the best way to maximize his skills.

Thread Information