Pelicans Report

Thread: Which positions do y’all think need to be priority this offseason?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Which positions do y’all think need to be priority this offseason?

Which positions do y’all think need to be priority this offseason? How would you like the GM to build this team? Who stays? Who goes?

Obviously the team needs help on many levels. Where do you start?

My opinion:

1. Number one priority is we get an elite playmaker/pure point guard. It’s not the end of the world if we can’t find that guy but it would be great to have a floor general who can shoot 3s and facilitate and defend. A leader. Is it possible to get that guy? Who? How? Ja Morant is the guy. He’s got it. We have to win the lotto, not likely, or we have to trade up to get him.

2. Big man. Rim protector. Shot blocker. Rebounder. How do we get this guy? We need to replace AD’s defense by getting a big man who can defend PLUS other players who are awesome defenders. Start with getting a big who can take care of the paint. Steven Adams type guy would be awesome. Okafor isn’t that guy. Can we find a center in FA?

3. SF. We don’t need Tatum. We need a 3 and D guy who is super reliable. If we can trade up to get Morant from day the Bulls or Knicks etc then we can find a way to get the SF 3 and D guy or just a damn good SF. Kevin Knox is fine. I’d take him, Morant, and the shot blocking center Mitchell and another piece if we could.... solved a lot right there. A PG, SF, C. Of course nothing is guaranteed but if all 3 of those guys play well one or two could become stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Which positions do y’all think need to be priority this offseason? How would you like the GM to build this team? Who stays? Who goes?

Obviously the team needs help on many levels. Where do you start?

My opinion:

1. Number one priority is we get an elite playmaker/pure point guard. It’s not the end of the world if we can’t find that guy but it would be great to have a floor general who can shoot 3s and facilitate and defend. A leader. Is it possible to get that guy? Who? How? Ja Morant is the guy. He’s got it. We have to win the lotto, not likely, or we have to trade up to get him.

2. Big man. Rim protector. Shot blocker. Rebounder. How do we get this guy? We need to replace AD’s defense by getting a big man who can defend PLUS other players who are awesome defenders. Start with getting a big who can take care of the paint. Steven Adams type guy would be awesome. Okafor isn’t that guy. Can we find a center in FA?

3. SF. We don’t need Tatum. We need a 3 and D guy who is super reliable. If we can trade up to get Morant from day the Bulls or Knicks etc then we can find a way to get the SF 3 and D guy or just a damn good SF. Kevin Knox is fine. I’d take him, Morant, and the shot blocking center Mitchell and another piece if we could.... solved a lot right there. A PG, SF, C. Of course nothing is guaranteed but if all 3 of those guys play well one or two could become stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shouldnt we find out who the coach is gonna be & what system we are running, first?

Obviously it is dependent on a coach, a system, a plan for the future, etc etc, but for me the two biggest priorities are this:

1) A forward who can create his own shot, please for god's sake, we haven't had a forward like that worth even thinking about for like 5 years! Athletic, multi-positional, versatile, scoring forwards a MUST in today's game, unless you have absurd depth. Think about the best teams in the league: Raptors have Kawhi, Bucks have Giannis, Warriors have KD, Celtics wanted Hayward, Lebron has been the best player in the league for like 10 years: forwards, between 6'7 and 6'10, who can create their own shot and make plays are invaluable.

2) A starting caliber PG who can play defense

3) A legitimate center. This is part of why I'm so big on Bol Bol in the draft, and also why I'm intrigued by a guy like Jaxson Hayes: legitimate height, legitimate length, real rim protection abilities, rebounding, and youth. Youth is so important here because big men often take a little while to develop their game: I'm okay with doing that if we draft the guy when he's 18 or 19, and he needs three years until he gets it together fully on offense. I'm less charitable with that time if he's 22 already and in three years he'll be just putting it together as he hits his prime and wants instant big money.

Basically: we need guards, forwards, and bigs. That's a rebuild, I guess.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    follow what has been working for the last 10 years....try and use the AD trade to get good players at the 1-3 positions.....the last 10 years the team who won the title had a dominating player at the 1-3 position who could take over games.....thats the way the NBA is at today and it dont look like its changing soon so we should follow that model and build around the 1-3 positions....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    follow what has been working for the last 10 years....try and use the AD trade to get good players at the 1-3 positions.....the last 10 years the team who won the title had a dominating player at the 1-3 position who could take over games.....thats the way the NBA is at today and it dont look like its changing soon so we should follow that model and build around the 1-3 positions....
    You say that, but a lot of the best players in the league today are actually bigger guys who have ball handling abilities. Look at Giannis, AD, Simmons, Luka, Porzingis, etc etc. The next generation seems to be this mixture of big man size with guard level skills. I think the priority, if you want to keep pace with the direction of the league, is to look for guys between 6'7 and 7'0 tall who have ball handling abilities and a nice shot.

I think we are better of getting a SG like Beal to help distribute the ball at times over someone like John Wall. Give me the SG who can light it up taking the pressure off and can get you 4-6 apg.. on top of that I think we need a SF that can help carry a little of the duties distributing the ball. Either way Jrue will still be handling a lot of the duties running the point so for me I would rather not lock into someone who is a pure PG. A PG who gets 17-20 ppg with 6-8 apg sharing duties with Jrue or a SG that scores 22-25 ppg with 4-6 apg.. I’m going with the SG but that’s JMO and watching Jrue for so long seems what fits him best. A SF is equally as important for us to get and maybe ever more. Been a long time since we had a really good SF and it’s a position I really hope we address in the AD deal. Would like a big man preferably a center with size and length that can play a little of both spots if needed. Hard for me to really just say positions without targeting certain players that would change what need I think we have. I would be happy with a PG or SG I just prefer one of the other especially depending on what player it is.

The Franchise
    A coach is important but star players should be able to play in any system. I'd say at least your top 3-4 players should be easily adaptable but the rest of the bench and role players should be predicated on coaching style.

Personally I agree with GA about getting Beal. I think Jrue as a facilitator is what he should be doing because he's not the greatest shooter but getting into the lane has been better this year and with floor spacers could get even better. Beal gives that spacing and should be able to play in any system along with being a vet without drama. I'm sure with some of the players and picks we get from AD trade this could happen.

Also like Tatum as SF for us. Don't know if this will happen if Kyrie stays unhappy but Jrue, Tatum, and Beal would be a great start to any team.

As for Bigs, I'd just throw a bunch out there. Okafor, Ed Davis, Trey Lyles, Mirotic, Lopez brothers, Noah Vonleh, Dragan Bender, Willie Cauley Stein, Richaun Holmes or Bobby Portis. All should be fairly cheap except Mirotic and Cauley Stein. Spend the rest of our money on better wings and hopefully get a stud free agent.

Jrue(26), Elfrid(cheap say 5)
    Beal(26), Frank(1.5) Bluiett(1)
    Tatum(7), Kenny Hustle(1)
    Mirotic(16),Ed Davis(5), Lyles(5)
    Mahinimi (16), Okafor(3), Richaun Holmes(4)

Should have at least 1 1st rounder.

Thread Information