Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: March 6th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Utah Jazz - 30-36

Pelicans March 6th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Utah Jazz - 30-36

We have won three in a row, simultaneously torpedoing our draft pick (three games ago, we were in 7th, half a game out of 6th, now we're 10th) and making Lakers fans everywhere very upset. It's up to you to judge whether or not that's worth it.

I'm not gonna list too many details here, because the last game we played was against Utah, so it's not worth really writing out too much of the information. What I will write, however, are some of the details surrounding the Utah game.

We won it, 115-112, after being down 19 points early in the match. Utah shot 37% from deep in the game, but what really killed them was Donovan Mitchell being taken out of things. Jrue was his primary defender for most of the time, although he did see others occasionally (most noticeably that Kenrich Williams switch that led to the late offensive foul), and that led to Mitchell - who has averaged basically 29ppg since January 1st - being held to 19 points on 33% shooting, and 1 of 9 from deep. That is painful. It's always worth noting that although he had 9 assists, he had 6 turnovers, which isn't a brilliant ratio.

Essentially, we won because we turned it on later, and the Jazz faltered, scoring less points than the last every quarter: 33, then 28, then 27, then 24. There may be an outside reason for this: the Jazz were coming off another game the night before, a game in which Mitchell played 39 minutes and which came down to the wire against a brilliant Milwaukee team. After they've had some rest, this might be a little different.

Let's see how it goes! The team has shown that they are really capable of tearing it up despite getting interrupted by Anthony Davis, who is selfishly forcing his way onto the court every game just to shrink his own averages for some reason, and it's been fun to watch even if my inner tanker is upset by it. So let's go out there and #DoItBig!
    Basketball.

I mean, I would 100% take us sneaking into the playoffs ahead of the Lakers just to keep them out. To me that'd be totally worth the drop in the pick.

BTW, at #10 I take Bol Bol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I mean, I would 100% take us sneaking into the playoffs ahead of the Lakers just to keep them out. To me that'd be totally worth the drop in the pick.

Damn right you do.

I do think there's a good side to us sneaking into the playoffs, if by some miracle that happens. It proves to the city that we aren't dead in the water even without AD, gives them an underdog to rally behind, and sticks a finger up to the media. Personally, I'd rather delay the finger sticking until next season for a good pick, but I can understand why people would want that now.

Unlikely we get a top 3 pick.
    After that its anyone's guess who has potential.
    I say **** LA.

Give me Bol Bol, Hunter, Okpala, Little, Johnson (see what I did there)? Garland or Reid with the Pel's pick 8-14 range.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 03-06-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Unlikely we get a top 3 pick.
    After that its anyone's guess who has potential.
    I say **** LA.
    True that there's less of a guarantee after the top three, but I think there's actually plenty of good talent that getting a top 6 or 7 pick could guarantee you, that dropping out of the top 10 leaves you with almost no chance to get. I'm talking Jarrett Culver, Jaxson Hayes, DeAndre Hunter type players.

I mean at this idk why we don't just try it really I mean were stuck in a place where it really doesn't matter unless we go on an epic collapse which I don't see happening

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

and then continue to limit his mins and we still some how when a couple of games ha perfect ending for me. thought you didn't have any help man lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

No way the Lakers or us will make the playoffs. Would take a historic run and a ridiculous fall off for the Lakers/Pelicans to jump the Clippers/Spurs. No way either one of us makes up a 6-7 games lead with 16 games left.

Big fan of BolBol. Been following the kid since he was in HS. Has amazing shooting touch for a big man. With some added weight and strength can become a dominant big. As we get closer to the draft and combine his stock will rise imo but not out of our reach.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    No way the Lakers or us will make the playoffs. Would take a historic run and a ridiculous fall off for the Lakers/Pelicans to jump the Clippers/Spurs. No way either one of us makes up a 6-7 games lead with 16 games left.
    Never say never! We would probably have to get to at least 43 wins which means going 13-3 over the last 16. Sounds impossible but you never know. We would also require help from the Spurs/Clips as you mention.

I would really like to make the playoffs just to watch AD sit in the fourth during the playoffs. LOL

Edited to add: 11 of those games are at home. The road games are against weak teams. It could happen.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 03-06-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Big fan of BolBol. Been following the kid since he was in HS. Has amazing shooting touch for a big man. With some added weight and strength can become a dominant big. As we get closer to the draft and combine his stock will rise imo but not out of our reach.
    I get the feeling he's going to slip some, because he's missed so much due to injury and because there are always worries about extremely tall big men. No idea if he'll slip far enough for us to grab, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went closer to 15 or 20 than some people think.

More than just his shooting, I love how he boxes out, he defends well even in space, and he really is a gifted shotblocker. Think he's got tons of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Never say never! We would probably have to get to at least 43 wins which means going 13-3 over the last 16. Sounds impossible but you never know. We would also require help from the Spurs/Clips as you mention.

I would really like to make the playoffs just to watch AD sit in the fourth during the playoffs. LOL
    Haha yea it’s possible. Just way to much has to go right. I’m just not a big believer mostly cause we can’t control the outcome. I would love to watch AD sit on the bench! Which is why I can’t wait for us to trade his sorry *** and gut another team where we make the playoffs and he doesn’t. If he goes to the Lakers I really think they are going to have a very hard time getting into the playoffs when you look at how tough the West is right now and how much tougher it is going to be next year with more young teams likely taking another step forward with us being one of them. Personally I want him in the West so we have the chance to take him out in the playoffs.

Jrue with the first bucket for us!

One thing I love about Randle is his ability to come out of every off season making huge improvements in this game. These are the kind of players I’m willing to bet on and want on my team. Scary to think how good he can become as he’s just 24 years old and has given us no reason to believe he has peaked.

Mitchell takes a three!

Jrue contests it!

Clank.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I get the feeling he's going to slip some, because he's missed so much due to injury and because there are always worries about extremely tall big men. No idea if he'll slip far enough for us to grab, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went closer to 15 or 20 than some people think.

More than just his shooting, I love how he boxes out, he defends well even in space, and he really is a gifted shotblocker. Think he's got tons of potential.
    Yea I agree it’s possible he falls as well. What scares me is it just takes 1 team to fall in love and big men with his talent are rare. History shows teams are willing to take this risk with Embid as a good example.

Yea I agree it’s possible he falls as well. What scares me is it just takes 1 team to fall in love and big men with his talent are rare. History shows teams are willing to take this risk with Embid as a good example.
    Yeah, it's kind of a risk to pin all your hopes on him. You're totally right that someone might fall in love and take the risk with him, so it's important to have other names in mind that you like as well. Bol Bol could go anywhere from 7th to 20th, I think.

I keep envisioning this team with Beal on it. The addition of Beal alone we would be a playoff team and a perfect fit in the modern NBA. Throw in our draft picks and a potential 20+ ppg SF like Tatum/Ingram!? I’m so excited for this offseason!

Yeah, it's kind of a risk to pin all your hopes on him. You're totally right that someone might fall in love and take the risk with him, so it's important to have other names in mind that you like as well. Bol Bol could go anywhere from 7th to 20th, I think.
    This is a pretty weak class for bigs and that is likely to be our biggest need. You have any other players you like outside of Zion?

Is it just me that loves every time AD clanks it!?

This is a pretty weak class for bigs and that is likely to be our biggest need. You have any other players you like outside of Zion?
    I'm bigger on RJ Barrett than a lot of people are at this point, I've noticed he's kind of fell off in hype a little but I like him.

I really like Jarrett Culver, he plays a lot taller than his listed height and his game is super smooth. I think it will translate pretty well to the NBA.

Obviously Bol Bol. Jaxson Hayes is intriguing, he's not lighting me on fire but he's super super young and his physical tools (6'11, 7'6 wingspan) are pretty awesome.

DeAndre Hunter is probably one of the safer signings, I don't think his ceiling is super high but he looks like he'd be pretty fit for the league.

I'm not as big on Okpala as some people are, I think his game (especially when it comes to ball handling and driving) is fairly similar to Culver's but not as dynamic, but I do like him and he's got skills that shoot translate well to the NBA.

Super slow first quarter. The Jazz have adjusted pretty well on defense since last game, but we aren't quite executing as well as last game. Shooting 35% from the floor, that's pretty absurd.

I'm bigger on RJ Barrett than a lot of people are at this point, I've noticed he's kind of fell off in hype a little but I like him.

I really like Jarrett Culver, he plays a lot taller than his listed height and his game is super smooth. I think it will translate pretty well to the NBA.

Obviously Bol Bol. Jaxson Hayes is intriguing, he's not lighting me on fire but he's super super young and his physical tools (6'11, 7'6 wingspan) are pretty awesome.

DeAndre Hunter is probably one of the safer signings, I don't think his ceiling is super high but he looks like he'd be pretty fit for the league.

I'm not as big on Okpala as some people are, I think his game (especially when it comes to ball handling and driving) is fairly similar to Culver's but not as dynamic, but I do like him and he's got skills that shoot translate well to the NBA.
    Yea I’m a huge R.J. Barrett fan and think he is the next Devink Booker with more potential. Kid is the total package and taking away Zions hype would have many considering him the best player in the draft. Just hard to go away from Zions potential. I haven’t really looked into the big men much in this class and being a Duke fan I have spent most of my time watching them. Thanks I’m gonna go dig into some of the players you mentioned later.

Super super super super slow first quarter. Wow.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to sit AD the first half and letting him come out after half time? Pretty obvious he could care less about winning but doesn’t wanna hurt his career numbers missing another half season.

Okafor needs to go train with Jokic this off season. Maybe I’m alone but I really think he can be a very good NBA center that isn’t a liability defensively.

Thread Information