Pelicans Report

Thread: Brooklyn Nets, Darkhorse Team to Land AD

Brooklyn Nets, Darkhorse Team to Land AD

"They're doing something nice in Brooklyn...Everybody talking about (Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and others) going to the New York Knicks. You know what folks have said to me? "Excuse me, we said New York, who said the Knicks?" -Stephen A. Smith
    -via @diamond83

The Scenario

If Kyrie signs elsewhere this offseason, Ainge likely drops out of AD trade talks, or at least removes Tatum from offers - which would level the trade field significantly. Knowing that without Kyrie the chances of AD re-signing there are slim, C's likely pivot to building around Tatum.

That would leave the Knicks as seemingly the only real suitor left of teams with good assets willing to trade them for AD. I think this is where AD is eventually traded to. But what if Knicks land the #1 overall and stand firm on not trading Zion for AD? Or, what if their pick falls to #4 or 5? Suddenly their offer becomes pretty mediocre based around Reddish or Culver as the centerpiece.

Pels rightly stand firm on not trading AD to the Lakers, for a myriad of reasons. And the Clippers offer based around SGA and the future Miami pick isnt that great, and the Pels front office will be determined to trade him out of the Western Conference.

Enter the Brooklyn Nets

Nets are finally back in the playoffs with an exciting young core. They could continue on this path with the group they have, but with lots of cap space this summer, plus potentially more with a Crabbe salary dump -- could this be the year Sean Marks and co. go for the big fish star players? With potentially two max slots or one and D-Russel, they could look to make a big push for contention this offseason as a more competent organization option for stars to be in NY.

Basis of Trade:

AD for
    LeVert, J. Allen, 2019 BKN pick, future protected pick.

Caris LeVert, Future Star

LeVert was playing at an All-Star level earlier this season and has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his young career. If his injury history clears and Pels could feel comfortable with it not being an issue, then as a 6'7" versatile playmaker, he's the kind of player thats worthy of being the centerpiece of an AD trade. He only has one year left on his rookie contract, so RFA in the summer of '20, which slightly decreases his value if he's due for a huge contract. But he's a win now and for the future player, imagining him taking turns shredding up defenses next to Jrue is tantilizing indeed.

Jarrett Allen, AD without the drama and with a fro

20pts-24rbds-3blks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdLT...ature=youtu.be

Jarrett Allen is still very young with lots of potential, provides the rim-protector / lob-threat role with a low usage and low drama.

Brooklyn would likely add in picks like their own 2019 pick, possibly Denver's 2019, and possibly future picks. Adding in a player like Dinwiddie could be a thing, but between Jrue, LeVert and Payton who hopefully re-signs, it may be best to let Nets keep Dinwiddie and instead be further compensated through cap relief and picks. Joe Harris could also be included, although he has a team option of 8mil, so I'm not sure he could be traded right away.

Pels could either make Nets absorb AD into their capspace, or get further compensation to take back Crabbe's big expiring contract. Hill and Moore could be added from Pels' side in variations of the deal.

Pels then re-sign Randle and Payton, maybe Miller and Diallo.

Pels draft BPA with their own 2019 lotto pick, target DeAndre Hunter, NBA ready all-around SF/PF

Allen / Okafor
    Randle / Diallo
    Keinrich / Hunter / Miller
    LeVert / Moore / Frank J.
    Jrue / Payton / Bertans

Well- balanced, fun team ready to compete now and into the future.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    "They're doing something nice in Brooklyn...Everybody talking about (Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and others) going to the New York Knicks. You know what folks have said to me? "Excuse me, we said New York, who said the Knicks?" -Stephen A. Smith
    -via @diamond83

The Scenario

If Kyrie signs elsewhere this offseason, Ainge likely drops out of AD trade talks, or at least removes Tatum from offers - which would level the trade field significantly. Knowing that without Kyrie the chances of AD re-signing there are slim, C's likely pivot to building around Tatum.

That would leave the Knicks as seemingly the only real suitor left of teams with good assets willing to trade them for AD. I think this is where AD is eventually traded to. But what if Knicks land the #1 overall and stand firm on not trading Zion for AD? Or, what if their pick falls to #4 or 5? Suddenly their offer becomes pretty mediocre based around Reddish or Culver as the centerpiece.

Pels rightly stand firm on not trading AD to the Lakers, for a myriad of reasons. And the Clippers offer based around SGA and the future Miami pick isnt that great, and the Pels front office will be determined to trade him out of the Western Conference.

Enter the Brooklyn Nets

Nets are finally back in the playoffs with an exciting young core. They could continue on this path with the group they have, but with lots of cap space this summer, plus potentially more with a Crabbe salary dump -- could this be the year Sean Marks and co. go for the big fish star players? With potentially two max slots or one and D-Russel, they could look to make a big push for contention this offseason as a more competent organization option for stars to be in NY.

Basis of Trade:

AD for
    LeVert, J. Allen, 2019 BKN pick, future protected pick.

Caris LeVert, Future Star

LeVert was playing at an All-Star level earlier this season and has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his young career. If his injury history clears and Pels could feel comfortable with it not being an issue, then as a 6'7" versatile playmaker, he's the kind of player thats worthy of being the centerpiece of an AD trade. He only has one year left on his rookie contract, so RFA in the summer of '20, which slightly decreases his value if he's due for a huge contract. But he's a win now and for the future player, imagining him taking turns shredding up defenses next to Jrue is tantilizing indeed.

Jarrett Allen, AD without the drama and with a fro

20pts-24rbds-3blks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdLT...ature=youtu.be

Jarrett Allen is still very young with lots of potential, provides the rim-protector / lob-threat role with a low usage and low drama.

Brooklyn would likely add in picks like their own 2019 pick, possibly Denver's 2019, and possibly future picks. Adding in a player like Dinwiddie could be a thing, but between Jrue, LeVert and Payton who hopefully re-signs, it may be best to let Nets keep Dinwiddie and instead be further compensated through cap relief and picks. Joe Harris could also be included, although he has a team option of 8mil, so I'm not sure he could be traded right away.

Pels could either make Nets absorb AD into their capspace, or get further compensation to take back Crabbe's big expiring contract. Hill and Moore could be added from Pels' side in variations of the deal.

Pels then re-sign Randle and Payton, maybe Miller and Diallo.

Pels draft BPA with their own 2019 lotto pick, target DeAndre Hunter, NBA ready all-around SF/PF

Allen / Okafor
    Randle / Diallo
    Keinrich / Hunter / Miller
    LeVert / Moore / Frank J.
    Jrue / Payton / Bertans

Well- balanced, fun team ready to compete now and into the future.
    I'm big fan of Allen.

Only difference for is - I'd start Elfrid, Jrue & Levert.

Don't count out re-signing Niko .

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I'm big fan of Allen.

Only difference for is - I'd start Elfrid, Jrue & Levert.

Don't count out re-signing Niko .
    Hmm, interesting. If you're assuming Randle, too, then that's a lot of guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective in the line-up at one time.... But maybe that could be strength, having guys 1-4 who can attack and create off the dribble.

I think a more chiseld-out version could include Dinwiddie, Musa and/or Kurucs, and maybe a Crabbe--Hill swap with Hill going to a third team.

I don't think the Nets are the strongest contenders whatsoever, but in a scenario where the Celtics completely pull out, and the Knicks refuse to go all in, then I think this trade isn't really that bad.

I do like Allen, I think he has a ton of potential and he's been pretty good so far in his early career. I'm not actually a huge fan of Levert, mainly because he's massively inefficient, but there is some hope: as you said, there have been flashes of a higher level of potential so it wouldn't be a total crapshoot, even if I would argue that he's far from a main piece.

The problem is that the Nets picks aren't really worth that much right now. They're good. Their pick this year will end up being maybe 16th, which isn't terrible but isn't great, and the way the Nets have rebuild over the last few seasons gives me no reason to think their future picks would be much good either, even unprotected. So while I don't think it's an awful trade, I would be a touch disappointed if this is what it came down to.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think the Nets are the strongest contenders whatsoever, but in a scenario where the Celtics completely pull out, and the Knicks refuse to go all in, then I think this trade isn't really that bad.

I do like Allen, I think he has a ton of potential and he's been pretty good so far in his early career. I'm not actually a huge fan of Levert, mainly because he's massively inefficient, but there is some hope: as you said, there have been flashes of a higher level of potential so it wouldn't be a total crapshoot, even if I would argue that he's far from a main piece.

The problem is that the Nets picks aren't really worth that much right now. They're good. Their pick this year will end up being maybe 16th, which isn't terrible but isn't great, and the way the Nets have rebuild over the last few seasons gives me no reason to think their future picks would be much good either, even unprotected. So while I don't think it's an awful trade, I would be a touch disappointed if this is what it came down to.
    A fellow STH that I attend games with suggested--
    AD & Hill. For. McCollum ,Nurcic, Collins & Port 1st .
    Thoughts ?! I find intriguing , but I'm waffling.

A fellow STH that I attend games with suggested--
    AD & Hill. For. McCollum ,Nurcic, Collins & Port 1st .
    Thoughts ?! I find intriguing , but I'm waffling.
    Huh...

I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards disliking it. I'll lay out my thoughts as to why:

McCollum - I like him a lot, both as a player and as a person from what I've seen him do in the media, and on twitter. He's never been a particularly good defender, but he has always been able to score, and he can get hot at any time which is useful, and while his contract is very big, we would only have him for 2 seasons. There's no long term monetary control there, and while McCollum is really good, he's not a tier 1 star. He's a tier 2 star, like Jrue is, so you have to ask whether it would be enough to make a serious impact on the team's future, or whether it would just keep us decent?

Nurkic - Not a huge fan, to be honest. He's improved massively as a defender in recent years, but his game has never really impressed me too much. His contract is pretty good, he's basically a straight up swap for Solomon Hill in terms of salary but he's locked up for a while, which is good. I'm kind of ambivalent on him: I can see the advantages he brings, as he can score, he's a solid rebounder, he can pass alright, etc etc, but he's just never been a player that I've found to be dynamic.

Zach Collins - Doesn't impress me that much at all. He's 7'0, but isn't a very good rebounder on either end. He can't shoot, so he's not a stretch, and he's not a rim protector either. He's only 21, so he could obviously improve but when I look for potential, I don't see that much in him. I think he could end up being a solid backup big, but not much more than that. I don't really see what he adds that we don't already get from Diallo.

Portland 1st - The 22nd pick doesn't thrill me that much. Right now that's predicted to translate into someone like PJ Washington, KZ Okpala, or Grant Williams. Personally, I don't believe that Okpala will still be on the board by 22, and even if he is, I'm not as thrilled by his game as a lot of other people are. It's not a very high value asset.

I guess I don't hate this trade, but it's not anything exciting to me, either. I don't see it as setting us up brilliantly for the future, and it also doesn't catapult us up the rankings immediately either.

Huh...

I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards disliking it. I'll lay out my thoughts as to why:

McCollum - I like him a lot, both as a player and as a person from what I've seen him do in the media, and on twitter. He's never been a particularly good defender, but he has always been able to score, and he can get hot at any time which is useful, and while his contract is very big, we would only have him for 2 seasons. There's no long term monetary control there, and while McCollum is really good, he's not a tier 1 star. He's a tier 2 star, like Jrue is, so you have to ask whether it would be enough to make a serious impact on the team's future, or whether it would just keep us decent?

Nurkic - Not a huge fan, to be honest. He's improved massively as a defender in recent years, but his game has never really impressed me too much. His contract is pretty good, he's basically a straight up swap for Solomon Hill in terms of salary but he's locked up for a while, which is good. I'm kind of ambivalent on him: I can see the advantages he brings, as he can score, he's a solid rebounder, he can pass alright, etc etc, but he's just never been a player that I've found to be dynamic.

Zach Collins - Doesn't impress me that much at all. He's 7'0, but isn't a very good rebounder on either end. He can't shoot, so he's not a stretch, and he's not a rim protector either. He's only 21, so he could obviously improve but when I look for potential, I don't see that much in him. I think he could end up being a solid backup big, but not much more than that. I don't really see what he adds that we don't already get from Diallo.

Portland 1st - The 22nd pick doesn't thrill me that much. Right now that's predicted to translate into someone like PJ Washington, KZ Okpala, or Grant Williams. Personally, I don't believe that Okpala will still be on the board by 22, and even if he is, I'm not as thrilled by his game as a lot of other people are. It's not a very high value asset.

I guess I don't hate this trade, but it's not anything exciting to me, either. I don't see it as setting us up brilliantly for the future, and it also doesn't catapult us up the rankings immediately either.
    My main hang up was McCollum. I think he's kind of an ISO/Ball stopper kinda player.
    I like Collins a bit more than you do. Sophomore jinx maybe.
    Nurcic, I believe is very serviceable.
    I'm still a Boston trade guy, but it made grab my chin a bit.

My main hang up was McCollum. I think he's kind of an ISO/Ball stopper kinda player.
    I like Collins a bit more than you do. Sophomore jinx maybe.
    Nurcic, I believe is very serviceable.
    I'm still a Boston trade guy, but it made grab my chin a bit.
    Yeah, it's worth considering, and there are brighter sides to it. Just wouldn't fall into my top few trades.

Great post, and yea LeVert would have to really show out in the playoffs like Tatum did.

Another wild card team--- what if Riley and the Heat bet on their culture and big enough market to convince AD to re-sign there and build around him.

MIA lotto pick (currently around 10th)
    Jason Richardson
    Justise Winslow
    Bam Adebayo

Bam. / Okafor
    Randle/ Diallo
    Winslow. / Keinrich/ Miller
    Richardson/ Moore/ Frank
    Jrue. / Payton/ Bertans

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Another wild card team
    Would you trade him for Demar Derozan, Jakob Poetl, and Toronto's 2019 first round pick?

Sorry but absolutely not. I like the players but when compared to the other offers we will get the Nets just can’t compete. On top of this to protect one of the picks? No way!

I am in favor for trading him to anyone for anything in the East. I am really confused as to why we would trade anyone to make another WC team more competitive? Move him to the East and be done with it.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

If the Boston or the NY trade doesn't happen then it will involve a 3rd team.
    All these trades were AD is sent for scraps to one team is short sighted.

If we don't get a current (last 2 years) all-star player or a top 3 pick this year for AD, we lose the trade IMO.

We can hypothesize all day. What about Chicago? This years pick (top 5?), Lavine, Markkanen?

Send him to the east tho 100%

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If the Boston or the NY trade doesn't happen then it will involve a 3rd team.
    All these trades were AD is sent for scraps to one team is short sighted.
    Denver, Brooklyn, LAC & Port can offer acceptable packages.

BTW- We discussed the Marrkanan/Laving scenario earlier in this thread & in another thread. &&&& I LOVE that trade.
    If got Lavine/Markannan/Chi 1st Rd .i would be 1 Happy Camper.

BTW- We discussed the Marrkanan/Laving scenario earlier in this thread & in another thread. &&&& I LOVE that trade.
    I just saw that. Agreed.

Acceptable yes, but none of these teams are going to trade the farm for a rental. AD has to commit long term for CHI to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Acceptable yes, but none of these teams are going to trade the farm for a rental. AD has to commit long term for CHI to agree.
    One must wonder if AD is going to OPEN his destination reservations a bit. I certainly would be thinking real hard about this Los Angeles hot mess they got going on bout now.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I am in favor for trading him to anyone for anything in the East. I am really confused as to why we would trade anyone to make another WC team more competitive? Move him to the East and be done with it.
    I don’t really get this idea. Take a worse package just so he’s not in our conference. AD is great but does he really worry you that much? Not me and I would like to actually make our team better with all of the great teams we will be facing in the West instead of getting a crap deal to still face those tough teams in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don’t really get this idea. Take a worse package just so he’s not in our conference. AD is great but does he really worry you that much? Not me and I would like to actually make our team better with all of the great teams we will be facing in the West instead of getting a crap deal to still face those tough teams in the West.
    I don't think anyone is actually advocating taking a lesser deal with an eastern team to move him out of the west. More like, all things being equal move him to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    I don't think anyone is actually advocating taking a lesser deal with an eastern team to move him out of the west. More like, all things being equal move him to the east.
    Well he says he would trade him to to East for anything to keep him out of the West.. looks like it to me that means taking a lesser package to keep him from playing us.

Thread Information