Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Denver Nuggets - 28-36

Pelicans March 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Denver Nuggets - 28-36

Okay, so we won last time. I still wish we hadn't, but in the end, the force of the Phoenix Suns tank was just too strong. They're very good at tanking, they have had a lot of practise. Six years of practise. At this point, the Suns know how to tank like Golden State knows how to win. Masterful.

Tonight, however, we face a team that is very much not tanking: the Denver Nuggets. 42-19, the Nuggets are currently second in the West. They have been extremely impressive this year. I can't even remember if I had them as a playoff team before the season started, but if I did, I definitely didn't have them top 4. However, behind the league's 3rd best offense and the league's 11th best defense, led by Nikola Jokic and a team that goes deep in quality players, the Nuggets have had a great season.

The Nuggets have gone 5-1 over their last 6 games. They are top 15 in Rebounds and Steals, and top 5 in assists. They make the 5th fewest turnovers in the league, and the 7th fewest fouls. They are 11th in 3pt%, and 10th in 2pt%. They're just really good.

Jokic is having a career year. He's averaging 20.1/10.8/7.7 per game. That's amazing. To put that into context, here is the full list of players who have ever averaged 20/10/7 in a season:

Wilt Chamberlain x 2
    Oscar Robertson x 2
    Russell Westbrook x 3
    Nikola Jokic - this season.

What about the players to put up those stats while shooting at least 50% from the floor?

Well, it's Wilt Chamberlain x 2, Oscar Robertson x 1, Nikola Jokic - this season.

He's been really, really, really good. Given that, plus the fact that Denver has 7 different players averaging double digit scoring, 4 of which are shooting above league average from 3, and that goes some way to explaining why they're so good. Luckily for us, that means that when we lose tonight it will be a good thing for the tank!

AD and E'twaun are not playing, and Bertans is scheduled to make his appearance at some point next week, so for tonight it's going to be the Jrue and Co. Show. I'm hoping that means we get fun, productive minutes from Okafor and Diallo, but unfortunately with the way Gentry is playing right now, I'll be surprised if Diallo gets more than 15 minutes and if Okafor gets more than 5. It's a shame, but Gentry seems to be taken with gluing Okafor to the bench.

Otherwise, let's go and #DoItBig!
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Okay, so we won last time. I still wish we hadn't, but in the end, the force of the Phoenix Suns tank was just too strong. They're very good at tanking, they have had a lot of practise. Six years of practise. At this point, the Suns know how to tank like Golden State knows how to win. Masterful.

Tonight, however, we face a team that is very much not tanking: the Denver Nuggets. 42-19, the Nuggets are currently second in the West. They have been extremely impressive this year. I can't even remember if I had them as a playoff team before the season started, but if I did, I definitely didn't have them top 4. However, behind the league's 3rd best offense and the league's 11th best defense, led by Nikola Jokic and a team that goes deep in quality players, the Nuggets have had a great season.

The Nuggets have gone 5-1 over their last 6 games. They are top 15 in Rebounds and Steals, and top 5 in assists. They make the 5th fewest turnovers in the league, and the 7th fewest fouls. They are 11th in 3pt%, and 10th in 2pt%. They're just really good.

Jokic is having a career year. He's averaging 20.1/10.8/7.7 per game. That's amazing. To put that into context, here is the full list of players who have ever averaged 20/10/7 in a season:

Wilt Chamberlain x 2
    Oscar Robertson x 2
    Russell Westbrook x 3
    Nikola Jokic - this season.

What about the players to put up those stats while shooting at least 50% from the floor?

Well, it's Wilt Chamberlain x 2, Oscar Robertson x 1, Nikola Jokic - this season.

He's been really, really, really good. Given that, plus the fact that Denver has 7 different players averaging double digit scoring, 4 of which are shooting above league average from 3, and that goes some way to explaining why they're so good. Luckily for us, that means that when we lose tonight it will be a good thing for the tank!

AD and E'twaun are not playing, and Bertans is scheduled to make his appearance at some point next week, so for tonight it's going to be the Jrue and Co. Show. I'm hoping that means we get fun, productive minutes from Okafor and Diallo, but unfortunately with the way Gentry is playing right now, I'll be surprised if Diallo gets more than 15 minutes and if Okafor gets more than 5. It's a shame, but Gentry seems to be taken with gluing Okafor to the bench.

Otherwise, let's go and #DoItBig!
    What he got against jah?

I don't know. He's played Jah 11 minutes combined in the last two games. He's played Randle 68 minutes in the same span.

Weird.

Jokic was drafted with the 41st pick. Like, seriously. Denver has killed their drafts recently. Whoever the new GM is, the first thing he should do is either raid Denver's scouting department or hack into their computer system to get their player evaluations for the coming draft.

For real, look at their draft history for the last 6 or 7 years:

2018 - Michael Porter Jr - 14th - Currently hasn't played yet
    2016 - Malik Beasley - 19th pick - Averaging 12 points a game on 43% from deep in 24mpg
    2016 - Juan Hernangomez - 15th pick - Averaging 7/4 with 38% from deep in 21mpg
    2016 - Jamal Murray - 7th pick - Averaging 18/4/5, shooting 37% from deep in 33mpg
    2015 - Emmanuel Mudiay - 7th pick - Averaging 15/3/4 (traded to Knicks)
    2014 - Doug McDermott - 11th pick - Averaging 7ppg in 17mpg, shooting 41% from 3, 40.4% from deep on career
    2014 - Nikola Jokic - 41st pick - Averaging 20/10/7 on 50% from the floor, historic season

All of those players are either very good players, solid roleplayers, or players with decent potential.

It's also worth noting that although they got traded to Utah, technically Denver also drafted Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

Did I ever tell ya how much I like our TV team? The studio, Joel and David and of course @Jen504. Love when they show up on my computer.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Honestly, Denver are such a model to follow, in my view.

Relatively small market (Denver has the 18th largest media market in the league, so not miniscule but definitely smaller), built through the draft. Most of their core, they drafted. Jokic, Murray, Harris, Beasley, Hernangomez, Morris, all drafted. Top of the West. Draft players and actually develop them.

Denver has 5 buckets already. Jokic has 3 assists.

Serious question: I know that Giannis and PG are the names most people are throwing around. Why isn't Jokic in MVP discussions?

I know we're tanking but... ouch

Cheick with the hammer!

They're gonna drop 80 in the first half.

And of course Randle is leading the team in minutes, leading the team in shots taken, and has the worst +/- haha

Jrue is 6 of his last 9 from deep

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is what needs to happen. Play hard. And lose. Need Frank Jackson and Cheick to ball more.

Randle must be committed to staying here because I can’t see any other reason to play him this many minutes. I’m not sure how I feel about that unless he agrees to take a bit of a paycut.

Great play from Frank so far though!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Randle must be committed to staying here because I can’t see any other reason to play him this many minutes. I’m not sure how I feel about that unless he agrees to take a bit of a paycut.
    10-12 mil is fine, we aren't attracting anyone that great here anyway.

Frankie with 14 points at the half, hope he goes on with it and gets 30.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Pay cut? He's only gonna make 10 million per if he opts in.
    If he opts out, I'll comfortably offer 13 & if my arm is twisted, I may go to 15.

Diallo just might be the rebounding machine we need from the bench. Hopefully Frank keeps up this high level going into the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Pay cut? He's only gonna make 10 million per if he opts in.
    He very well may opt out and we move some salary to try and keep him (which is what I don’t want).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Jrue is 6 of his last 9 from deep
    I feel like he's a legit 38% shooter when he eliminates those stupid step back threes

He's been straight fire with his threes for a good while now

He very well may opt out and we move some salary to try and keep him (which is what I don’t want).
    He's worth 13 IMO. I might go 3/42 .

What salary cap problems will we have? When AD goes & Hill goes, we will have no Problems cap wise. Miller, Clark, Stanley Johnson, Jason Smith open up extra space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What salary cap problems will we have? When AD goes & Hill goes, we will have no Problems cap wise. Miller, Clark, Stanley Johnson, Jason Smith open up extra space.
    Ruh roh raggy. We are overpaying for sure then

Thread Information