Pelicans Report

Thread: NBA Attendance

NBA Attendance

Was listening to NBA Radio and they said the Pels are in jeopardy of losing the team because we’re a football city and have bad attendance. According to this article:

http://proxy.espn.com/nba/attendance?sort=awayPct

we are number 16. Can anybody shed light on this? Where does this thinking that NOLA should be contracted come from?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Was listening to NBA Radio and they said the Pels are in jeopardy of losing the team because we’re a football city and have bad attendance. According to this article:

we are number 16. Can anybody shed light on this? Where does this thinking that NOLA should be contracted come from?
    Vegas and Seattle want NBA bad. Sad reality is that it is much cheaper for the NBA to move a team rather than expand. Memphis and us are being considered. Also it has been updated we are# 24 now

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-27-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Memphis and us are being considered. [/url]
    There is no indication that any team is being "considered." It is simply speculation by the media since the teams are small market teams not currently playing well.

^^^^^^^^^
    Basketball.

I had worries for a bit, but my gut says Gayle has taken this whole AD thing personally and will right the ship. NBA would expand before they move a team right now. MSY is a viable and important city for the NBA - regionally.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    There is no indication that any team is being "considered." It is simply speculation by the media since the teams are small market teams not currently playing well.
    https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/18/sea...-robert-perra/

As for our lease it goes to I believe it goes to either 2022 or 2024 which is not to far away.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-27-2019 at 01:29 PM.

This is going off of memory and like a decade ago so I might be wrong, but when the Bensons bought the team I recall someone pointing out that they were small money for the NFL but big money for the NBA. Like they have the capital to do good things. And things haven't worked out but we have always been competitive and trying with the Bensons. With them at the helm and the 16th attendance during all the meh we've had, I have no worries of relocating.

Even at 24, put a winning team out there and people will come. The saying "New Orleans is not a basketball town" is stupid. It is a basketball town in every way. Just needs a consistent winner. And the "it's a football town" is even more stupid because sports teams often ignite fires for each other's fan bases as opposed to stealing the passion.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 02-27-2019 at 01:41 PM.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/18/sea...-robert-perra/

As for our lease it goes to I believe it goes to either 2022 or 2024 which is not to far away.
    Did you read the article you linked? It says nothing about the NBA or the owner considering a move. All media speculation at best. Let's not start this again.

Also it has been updated we are# 24 now

Not updated, just the two of you are using different metrics.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    We're an easy target. A team that hasn't had a whole lot of success, and every time there's a national TV game, we have empty seats so people draw conclusions there.

It's no secret people want the NBA back in Seattle. Hell, so do I. I think it'd be great for the game. But not at our expense. NOLA may be considered a football city, but that doesn't mean they don't care about their basketball.

I do think the organization needs to market itself better to the city though. Put more eyes on the team when they get good again, and reap the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    We're an easy target. A team that hasn't had a whole lot of success, and every time there's a national TV game, we have empty seats so people draw conclusions there.

It's no secret people want the NBA back in Seattle. Hell, so do I. I think it'd be great for the game. But not at our expense. NOLA may be considered a football city, but that doesn't mean they don't care about their basketball.

I do think the organization needs to market itself better to the city though. Put more eyes on the team when they get good again, and reap the benefits.
    If there is one area that this organization desperately needs to upgrade, it is marketing. They take the "same old, same old" approach every year and expect people to simply show up and buy tickets.

I was just wondering. This team is solvent and making a profit. When the team is good, we show up. I’m over this narrative

If I'm not mistaken Tom before he passed brought up a lot of the surrounding area around the Dome and Arena. Similar to what Sterling did with the Clippers. So the Pelicans generate the Benson's additional revenue no NBA related. If true the franchise should be safe especially with the vast majority of revenue stemming for TV money.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I was just wondering. This team is solvent and making a profit. When the team is good, we show up. I’m over this narrative
    The old saying "If you build it, they will come" stands true more than ever.

This team was selling out the arena towards the second half of the 07-08 season, and that was the first season back after Katrina.

With a lack of success, people see no reason to attend. I mean look at Detroit. They were at the top of the league 15 years ago, and now they're lucky if they can sell out their arena because they've been so bad for a while. Bad teams won't sell. And despite our playoff success last year, we're a bad team now with a lot of baggage. No one is going to want to spend money to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Tom before he passed brought up a lot of the surrounding area around the Dome and Arena. Similar to what Sterling did with the Clippers. So the Pelicans generate the Benson's additional revenue no NBA related. If true the franchise should be safe especially with the vast majority of revenue stemming for TV money.
    It should also be worth noting TV ratings nationwide are way down. Guess that Lebron to LA is not working out for them.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-...asts-down.html

I always have issue with judging a team by whether they sell out their arena or not. I'm going to use metropolitan statistical areas (MSA) for comparison, because that takes into account surrounding suburbs, which would likely be considered part of a teams drawing area.

NOLA is about 1.2M, and our average attendance this year is 15,886. So lets compare that to Chicago. Chi's MSA pop is around 9.5M, or about EIGHT TIMES New Orleans. If we can draw 15.8, that would be the same as Chicago drawing 120K per game. And yet, they're averaging 19.9 and NOT 100% capacity.

A different example. Pels are at 92.4% of capacity, Orlando is 92.2%, both in the bottom third of the league. And yet, Orlando has TWICE the population (MSA 2.5M) that New Orleans does. So are we really less of a basketball city than those two examples, or is it just that we're SMALLER than those markets, which makes it HARDER to get higher attendance?

And what about comparably sized markets? Salt Lake City is the only MSA smaller than New Orleans, and Memphis and OKC are both only about 100K larger. In all three of those cities, their NBA team is THE major draw, as they have no NFL team.

Bottom line, with the team owned by Gayle Benson, I have no concerns about the team being here long term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I always have issue with judging a team by whether they sell out their arena or not. I'm going to use metropolitan statistical areas (MSA) for comparison, because that takes into account surrounding suburbs, which would likely be considered part of a teams drawing area.

NOLA is about 1.2M, and our average attendance this year is 15,886. So lets compare that to Chicago. Chi's MSA pop is around 9.5M, or about EIGHT TIMES New Orleans. If we can draw 15.8, that would be the same as Chicago drawing 120K per game. And yet, they're averaging 19.9 and NOT 100% capacity.

A different example. Pels are at 92.4% of capacity, Orlando is 92.2%, both in the bottom third of the league. And yet, Orlando has TWICE the population (MSA 2.5M) that New Orleans does. So are we really less of a basketball city than those two examples, or is it just that we're SMALLER than those markets, which makes it HARDER to get higher attendance?

And what about comparably sized markets? Salt Lake City is the only MSA smaller than New Orleans, and Memphis and OKC are both only about 100K larger. In all three of those cities, their NBA team is THE major draw, as they have no NFL team.

Bottom line, with the team owned by Gayle Benson, I have no concerns about the team being here long term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Good stuff

The seats are being paid for, people just don’t go to the games sometimes lol. This team is staying put. Tom wouldn’t have even bought the team if not for Gayle.
    RIP FlyGirl

We Are Not Losing the PELICANS

The Pelicans were bought for 300M, they are now valued at 1B....and this is BEFORE sports gaming. All sports franchises are about to be worth double. The Pels ain't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    The seats are being paid for, people just don’t go to the games sometimes lol. This team is staying put. Tom wouldn’t have even bought the team if not for Gayle.
    So you are comparing us to Atlanta Falcons fans?

So you are comparing us to Atlanta Falcons fans?
    This compares how? Did Matt Ryan and Julio Jones demand a trade and alienated the fan base?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    This compares how? Did Matt Ryan and Julio Jones demand a trade and alienated the fan base?
    That whole team alienated the fanbase.

28-3

Thread Information