Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Give Randle an extension!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Look at the post above.
    Irrelevant to my point. You said I was hating on the biggest contributor to our team. Our biggest contributor is Jrue, and I love him, so you're wrong.

The above post is just a tweet that claims that Julius thinks Jrue is the hardest worker he's ever played with. How you think that means we should give Julius more money, I don't know.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Irrelevant to my point. You said I was hating on the biggest contributor to our team. Our biggest contributor is Jrue, and I love him, so you're wrong.

The above post is just a tweet that claims that Julius thinks Jrue is the hardest worker he's ever played with. How you think that means we should give Julius more money, I don't know.
    Just think how good we can be if we bring in Ingram too on that trade. Just a possibility. On that note I pass to GuardianAngel.

Just think how good we can be if we bring in Ingram too on that trade. Just a possibility. On that note I pass to GuardianAngel.
    That's a complete nonsequitur that has absolutely nothing to do with Randle's comments about Jrue, or who our biggest contributor is right now, or anything like that.

Pointless.

That's a complete nonsequitur that has absolutely nothing to do with Randle's comments about Jrue, or who our biggest contributor is right now, or anything like that.

Pointless.
    Check Randle’s stats for me last 5 games. By the way I’m no way saying Jrue is not a contributor but we need to also keep Randle. Keep a good nucleus. You see now.

Check Randle’s stats for me last 5 games. By the way I’m no way saying Jrue is not a contributor but we need to also keep Randle. Keep a good nucleus. You see now.
    Randle, over the last 5 games, has averaged 27 points a game. That's not a problem for me, because I have said multiple times that Randle is an ELITE inside scorer. I've said it time and time again. He can put the ball in the hoop. I have never denied that.

My issues have been that he is not a reliable floor stretcher: which is true, he's shot 33% over the 5 games you specifically wanted to use as a good example, and his defense, which is inconsistent at best. For proof of that, I refer to you him getting absolutely scored on AT WILL in the Lakers game, and him being given the business by Favors against Utah with Randle as his primary defender: Favors averages 11.7 points a game, and he dropped 25 on Randle on 9/11 shooting.

Again: for you, who apparently hasn't got this by now: I have never said we should not try to resign Randle. My point is that he is a one way player (which, at this point in his career, he IS) and that I am not very interested in paying $20m a season, long term (3 years, for example) to a player who has shown no signs of caring about 50% of the game. That is why I'm only willing to give him $13-15m per, if it's a long term contract. If it's a 2 year contract with a team option, then I am more open to $20m, for the reasons I described earlier, but that you apparently didn't read.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I should and I will credit GuardianAngel for his points too.
    Huh .

Let that sink in. Don’t ruin a good thing. Extend the contract.
    Just to be clear, we cannot extend Randle because he has a player option for next season. To be able to offer him big money he'd have to first decline his player option, nullifying his contract and then we'd offer him a new one but we can't extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just to be clear, we cannot extend Randle because he has a player option for next season. To be able to offer him big money he'd have to first decline his player option, nullifying his contract and then we'd offer him a new one but we can't extend him.
    You can keep trying , but ?! Huh!

I think most are assuming he's gonna turn down the option which is the most likely course of action

Odds he accepts his player option are what a billion to one? He is the 151th best paid player this year and ranks as high as 58th best player. We can all easily assume he declines and becomes a free agent.

For arguments sake let's say 2/40 or 3/55, somewhere in that range is what the market rate could be.(Personally I think it could be more, look at Harrison Barnes) What other forwards are available in that price range and are they better assuming Gentry is the coach still?

Tobias Harris- Unrestricted

Khris Middleton- Player Option

Paul Millsap - Team Option- assuming Den declines his 30 mill

Nikola Mirotic - Unrestricted

Thaddeus Young - Unrestricted

Markieff Morris - Unrestricted

Kelly Oubre - Restricted

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - Player Option

Marcus Morris - Unrestricted

Rudy Gay - Unrestricted

Bojan Bogdanovic - Unrestricted

And then we would have to have the cap space to sign him to a larger deal.

, and his defense, which is inconsistent at best. For proof of that, I refer to you him getting absolutely scored on AT WILL in the Lakers game, and him being given the business by Favors against Utah with Randle as his primary defender: Favors averages 11.7 points a game, and he dropped 25 on Randle on 9/11 shooting.
    Just wanted to come back and add some facts to my claim that Randle is a poor defender:

https://abc13.com/sports/ten-things-...agger/5176536/

Zach Lowe's new article contains some analysis of Randle's defense. He says basically what I've been saying. ''Randle's ascension on offense has come at the expense of his work on the other end.''. More specifically, ''He is 451st among 494 players in the defense-only version of ESPN's real plus-minus [...] He is dead last among centers.''

And then some info from Shamit Dua. He starts by saying that AD and Jrue are 1st and 2nd in the league in defending isolations, giving up only 0.59PPP to iso plays, which is amazing. He follows up with this:

Just wanted to come back and add some facts to my claim that Randle is a poor defender:
    Who else do we get then? I agree his defense is not his strength. Who else though? not him, not him, not him, fine, WHO? What free agent is better for the money in lieu of him?

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Who else do we get then? I agree his defense is not his strength. Who else though? not him, not him, not him, fine, WHO? What free agent is better for the money in lieu of him?
    I'll repeat just to be clear: I am not saying we shouldn't sign Randle. I'm saying we shouldn't sign Randle to a long term high price contract. If we can get Randle back for $13-15m per, I'd be fine for a three year deal. The reason for this price cap is his defense, which goes beyond it not being his strength, to the point of being a disgraceful weakness. Just a huge, glaring hole in his game.

I don't see why we have to give out a huge contract. Obviously there's a salary floor we have to meet, but outside of that I don't see why we need to give SOMEONE $20m. I'd offer $20m to Khris Middleton, maybe. Be tempted to offer it to Harris also. I don't think it would be enough to get either of them, but I don't think we should go into the off-season determined to spend big, long term money.

I'll repeat just to be clear: I am not saying we shouldn't sign Randle. I'm saying we shouldn't sign Randle to a long term high price contract. If we can get Randle back for $13-15m per, I'd be fine for a three year deal. The reason for this price cap is his defense, which goes beyond it not being his strength, to the point of being a disgraceful weakness. Just a huge, glaring hole in his game.

I don't see why we have to give out a huge contract. Obviously there's a salary floor we have to meet, but outside of that I don't see why we need to give SOMEONE $20m. I'd offer $20m to Khris Middleton, maybe. Be tempted to offer it to Harris also. I don't think it would be enough to get either of them, but I don't think we should go into the off-season determined to spend big, long term money.
    Ok, but if Middleton and Harris are clearly over $20, Randle won't be far from it due to his age and offense alone. Who else are you going to get for $13 or $15 that is better at defense than Randle?

Ok, but if Middleton and Harris are clearly over $20, Randle won't be far from it due to his age and offense alone. Who else are you going to get for $13 or $15 that is better at defense than Randle?
    Well, given that Randle is the 451st best defender in the league, statistically speaking almost anyone would be better than him at defense.

If we offer $20m to Middleton and Harris, and they both say no, then I don't offer $20m to anyone, really. We don't need to spend big, long term money. Give Randle $20m on a 2 year with a team option or something. There is no obligation for us to give our a big contract each summer. If we don't find the right guy for the right price, we are not required to spend.

Well, given that Randle is the 451st best defender in the league, statistically speaking almost anyone would be better than him at defense.

If we offer $20m to Middleton and Harris, and they both say no, then I don't offer $20m to anyone, really. We don't need to spend big, long term money. Give Randle $20m on a 2 year with a team option or something. There is no obligation for us to give our a big contract each summer. If we don't find the right guy for the right price, we are not required to spend.
    To be clear I'm not advocating giving him a long term deal either, but can we all agree that we have to overpay someone to come to (or stay in) NOLA post-AD? Why leave Mil if you're Middleton? Why leave Phila if you're Harris? Money.

To be clear I'm not advocating giving him a long term deal either, but can we all agree that we have to overpay someone to come to (or stay in) NOLA post-AD? Why leave Mil if you're Middleton? Why leave Phila if you're Harris? Money.
    We had to overpay people 90% of the time during-AD. That only changed in the last two seasons, after five years of having to pay Omer Asik and Solomon Hill double digits to get them to come over. I don't see why that would change now.

I don't think either of them leave, to be honest. But things are pretty sad when you're throwing big money after massively flawed players just out of desperation. This is why we should have free agency as a secondary priority after the draft. Pretty much nobody willingly goes to Denver either, but they're about to be finishing up as the second best team in the west. Why? They didn't waste money and time chasing FAs who didn't want to be there, and just drafted.

So you're saying 451 is bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So you're saying 451 is bad ?
    I am indeed saying that in this year, 2019, where barely anyone plays real defense, being worse than 450 other players at defense is very poor.

I am indeed saying that in this year, 2019, where barely anyone plays real defense, being worse than 450 other players at defense is very poor.
    Sarcasm , my puddle jumping friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Sarcasm , my puddle jumping friend.
    I know. I thought my reply was deadpan enough that you'd get that it was meant as a joke too.

Considering there is only 390 Active players on any given night.

We had to overpay people 90% of the time during-AD. That only changed in the last two seasons, after five years of having to pay Omer Asik and Solomon Hill double digits to get them to come over. I don't see why that would change now.

I don't think either of them leave, to be honest. But things are pretty sad when you're throwing big money after massively flawed players just out of desperation. This is why we should have free agency as a secondary priority after the draft. Pretty much nobody willingly goes to Denver either, but they're about to be finishing up as the second best team in the west. Why? They didn't waste money and time chasing FAs who didn't want to be there, and just drafted.

Look I get it. Hindsight being 20/20 it was a huge mistake not drafting around AD (other than trading for Jrue). Overpaying FAs cost us picks to eventually dump the bad contracts. I think the team has been correcting that the last few years like you said, evident by loading up 2nd rounders and buying a G League team for development.

Is it June yet?

Look I get it. Hindsight being 20/20 it was a huge mistake not drafting around AD (other than trading for Jrue). Overpaying FAs cost us picks to eventually dump the bad contracts. I think the team has been correcting that the last few years like you said, evident by loading up 2nd rounders and buying a G League team for development.

Is it June yet?
    May 14th . Lottery.
    I'm assuming that as soon as our season is over, we will have to have a GM in place rather promptly. Then coach.
    Trades can actually be made as soon as a teams season ends, so you never know.

Thread Information