Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Official Who Could Be Our Next GM Thread!

Hyperboles gonna hyperbole.

Can someone really make a strong case for Avery other than he is incredibly available and from the area? I think the world of the guy, to be clear, but not as a GM or coach for this team in this situation with AD in today's NBA.

Presti, Presti, Presti

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    I heard Avery Johnson's people have been floating his name...he's from the area. And Bama isn't rocking and rolling now.....

regardless,right now we have to accept that this is a dumpster fire and we are one of the least attractive gm positions in league
    Couldn't disagree more, this is a great place for a GM...immediate chance to build a team exactly how you want to, using the biggest trade chip in the past 45 years, great security--almost nothing worked for your predecessor yet he still got 9 years on the job, will likely come out of the Davis trade as one of the most asset rich teams in the league, depending on structure may have near total control of basketball decisions with hands-off ownership. There will obviously be better teams, and better/bigger markets, but for a GM this is a rare opportunity. Needless to say, Avery Johnson's resume of being from here and not being a good coach does not inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Can someone really make a strong case for Avery other than he is incredibly available and from the area? I think the world of the guy, to be clear, but not as a GM or coach for this team in this situation with AD in today's NBA.

Presti, Presti, Presti
    I think Presti himself is a pipe dream, but I like where your head's at.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Couldn't disagree more, this is a great place for a GM...immediate chance to build a team exactly how you want to, using the biggest trade chip in the past 45 years, great security--almost nothing worked for your predecessor yet he still got 9 years on the job, will likely come out of the Davis trade as one of the most asset rich teams in the league, depending on structure may have near total control of basketball decisions with hands-off ownership. There will obviously be better teams, and better/bigger markets, but for a GM this is a rare opportunity. Needless to say, Avery Johnson's resume of being from here and not being a good coach does not inspire confidence.
    Completely agree. There are basically two types of GM here, and for one of those two types, this team is a dream destination. For the other type, it's a nightmare.

If you are a GM who wants the chance to come in to a team and have to do very little other than people managing and minor roster adjustments, so you can sit back and reap success off of a cant-miss franchise, this is not the team for you.

If, on the other hand, you're a proactive GM who really wants to take the reigns on being The Guy, who has full control over everything and can really build up a franchise from scratch to meet your expectations, then this franchise is a dream. Like you said, you come in to a team ready to reload with a brilliant way to load up on assets, very little expectation for you to win immediately, and with good reason to think you'll be given a fair shake instead of being fired immediately if things get tough.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I think Presti himself is a pipe dream, but I like where your head's at.
    Yes, I completely agree it's a low probability, but he specifically fits my target preference. Proven high level championship or mvp producing GM in the last 10 years, not another high pedigree gamble. Show the fanbase and the league this organisation is serious about achieving greatness at any cost from the top down. No more come here to grow, we need executive level people who are grown. Alphas. Just rename the team New Orleans Alpha Birds. Alphas. Alphas Alphas.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    it depends on what any potential gm is looking for....being New orleans, we are *always* going have more trouble attracting FA than most other teams. Thats just the way it is, and so the job already has a major downside.

even if the celts do put tatum in the deal, its not like we have team control over him indefinately and as we see in KP that previously thought guarantee of guys signing that first extension may not be anymore.....tatum will already be in year 3 next year and if we suck and he's not satisfied(and we will suck) he'll likely start making waves about not signing that first extension was thought to be a given.

I'm hoping for the best over the next decade, but I don't think its looking good. You never know but our assets now minus AD + whateverwe get for him don't look appealing to me considering what otherteams do have or could get(In FA that we cant)

Yes, I completely agree it's a low probability, but he specifically fits my target preference. Proven high level championship or mvp producing GM in the last 10 years, not another high pedigree gamble. Show the fanbase and the league this organisation is serious about achieving greatness at any cost from the top down. No more come here to grow, we need executive level people who are grown. Alphas. Just rename the team New Orleans Alpha Birds. Alphas. Alphas Alphas.
    lmao....I can start telling people I'm only going to date 10's but the reality is thats not going to happen. What we want and what we can get are two different things. Presti isn't coming here. If he did the initial reaction from 99.9% of the sport world would be complete surprise and 'the pelicans? pelicans?'

I guess we can ask AD the same question. Some people like change.
    huh...wtf? The reasons AD are leaving are pretty obvious- he's a star player seeking a franchise that is both higher profile and better. Not some generic 'change'. Nobody out there is questioning or wondering why AD is leaving us.....

To me it's really important to find someone with previous experience in a small market franchise. I will have hard time to trust someone from Celtics or Raptors front office because GM jobs in larger market requires different skillset. I would look for candidates with experience in front offices of teams like OKC, Memphis, Milwaukee, San Antonio or Utah. Especially the ones with NOLA ties, because I think it's important to have someone with understanding of the city. Yeah Sean Marks would have been great but I don't see how the pels could compete with the Nets.

Now it's hard to find an established names with that kind of pedigree so I think the ownership may elect to hire a bigger name instead.

it depends on what any potential gm is looking for....being New orleans, we are *always* going have more trouble attracting FA than most other teams. Thats just the way it is, and so the job already has a major downside.

even if the celts do put tatum in the deal, its not like we have team control over him indefinately and as we see in KP that previously thought guarantee of guys signing that first extension may not be anymore.....tatum will already be in year 3 next year and if we suck and he's not satisfied(and we will suck) he'll likely start making waves about not signing that first extension was thought to be a given.

I'm hoping for the best over the next decade, but I don't think its looking good. You never know but our assets now minus AD + whateverwe get for him don't look appealing to me considering what otherteams do have or could get(In FA that we cant)
    There's only 30 GM jobs in the league, and of those what, maybe 8 are in free agent destinations? So, if you're an outstanding GM candidate and have your heart set on being GM in a free agent destination, by all means, sit out our interviews and hang on for one of those jobs to come available. I don't think that will dissuade many people. Commitment/resources from our ownership would be a much more important factor I think.

Porzingis hasn't turned down an extension, so let's not say he's setting any precedents yet.

More hyperboles hyperboling.

We need a Hyperbole graphic option on posts... like RANT or RUMOR

Never heard of this guy like most assistant GMs we don’t know much about. After digging up some stuff about this guy he would be a great fit. One of the main reasons for how the Nets have turned it around by hitting on a lot of players. I’m not a fan of many of the GMs out there that were GMs looking for a job. Would love to get some new blood like this guy!

I cannot pretend to be an expert on front office guys, so I can't say anything authoritative on this, but everything I've heard abotu Langdon has been pretty positive, and I do agree that the Nets have done brilliantly rebuilding given that they've had zero draft chances.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I brought up Griffin and his recent success in Cleveland. Some don’t like him because he is friends with Lebron.
    I thought Griffin did a great job. I just don’t think he is necessarily what we need. You got me sold on this Nets guy now so I’m kind of stuck haha. Maybe it’s becasue I don’t really know any other candidates that have never been GMs before but I don’t see liking anyone much more then Langdon.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I thought Griffin did a great job. I just don’t think he is necessarily what we need. You got me sold on this Nets guy now so I’m kind of stuck haha. Maybe it’s becasue I don’t really know any other candidates that have never been GMs before but I don’t see liking anyone much more then Langdon.
    I think we would be in good shape with either. They are definitely think different than Dell Demps.

Anyone from the current Nets FO is ok with me

Langdon would be a good GM, but the team also needs to hire a President of Basketball Operations above him.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information