Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official Who Could Be Our Next GM Thread!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Fair enough, I couldn't quite remember whether Altman took over just in time for the Kyrie trade, or just after.

As for the second part, I don't really know if that helps your argument too much. When Lebron went back to Cleveland, he was 30. It's not a case of surrounding Lebron with ''the right team'', it's surrounding Lebron with almost ANY team in the East is a guaranteed finals team. We saw that last year, where a Lebron carried Jordan Clarkson, Cedi Osman, Jose Calderon, and Jeff Green into the finals. If the argument in favour of Griffin is that he's able to sign us Timofey Mozgov and give JR Smith a giant contract, then I'm not sure how much that's actually in favour of him at all.

And true: having a 34 year old Lebron who's injured for 20+ games in the West isn't a guarantee for success. Having a 30 year old uninjured Lebron in the East though, very different issue.
    Griffin did not sign Mozgov to a huge contract. LA did that. Griffin traded for Mozgov and Mozgov was a critical element to Cleveland's first Finals run. He did not re-sign him after LA massively overpaid to get him. And JR was one of the most important players on their championship team and was signed in the summer of 2016 when all of the contracts signed that year were inflated such as the ones we gave out to Moore and Hill.

Even if LeBron were healthy this year, I don't think anyone believed the Lakers had any chance to be more than a 2nd round exit in the playoffs, and even that is being highly optimistic. They were never considered to be a real threat in the playoffs and that is a big leap to make. LeBron missed 13 games in his first year back in Cleveland and most advanced metrics considered it to be a down year for him and that team still nearly won the championship (Kyrie and Love did not play in the Finals and it was 4-2). The team he was surrounded with was very good and were MUCH better than last year's Cleveland team. They eventually beat the greatest regular season team of all time eventually. If KD doesn't change the NBA by signing with the Warriors, they may have won another championship or two for all we know. It's also worth mentioning that Griffin left trade proposals for his successor to acquire Butler or PG13 for Kevin Love in 3 team trades that may have completely changed last year's outlook (https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index...hind_prop.html). Obviously GSW would still be the massive favorites with KD there, but if LeBron and George are on the same team, maybe LeBron stays? Maybe Griffin would hold onto Kyrie and would have tried to make it work? The mistakes made by the Cavs FO after Griffin's departure should not blemish the great job he did there.

The main takeaway I have from Griffin's time in Cleveland is that Griffin is very much aware of the inner workings of locker room chemistry and is a strong relationship builder. He knew what LeBron needed and from listening to him talk about other players, he understood how everyone would be able to fit into their role and did a great job building a family in Cleveland alongside LeBron. Something I think we'd agree on is that Demps has seemingly done a poor job at communicating with his players over the years and there have been many players that have said as much after free agency (Cousins, Rondo, EJ come to mind immediately but there's probably more). Griffin has a great reputation among players and I have to believe that is not insignificant. I think one of his strengths would be to identify what is needed in unique situations based on the personalities at hand.
    Last edited by Bee-Fense; 02-18-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Griffin has a great reputation among players and I have to believe that is not insignificant. I think one of his strengths would be to identify what is needed in unique situations based on the personalities at hand.
    I want to just add that I didn't say Griffin paid Mozgov a huge contract. I said he signed Mozgov, and gave JR a huge contract. Whether you think JR was vital to that CLE team or not (I'm perfectly willing to accept that he was), I think most people would agree that 4yrs/$57m was too much. Nobody else was likely to pay him that. They bid against themselves and likely ended up overpaying JR for the same reason they ended up overpaying TT: Lebron wanted to get his friends paid.

Otherwise, fair enough.
    Basketball.

...we get to go McDonalds
    David Stern. Let's go! Everybody fricked in negotiations.

Seriously though, I just want a GM with a resume who can value assets like a normal front office guy (I know, that's really vague).

I want to Pritch-slap someone.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Floyd View Post
    Any thoughts on giving Jeff Bowers a second chance? He might have learned a lot from his time in Detroit
    It would take someone named Tim Floyd to ask that one. Good job...

What do you think? Done a decent job in Sacramento?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Chauncey Billups would be great option for me. However, i dont think he accepts the ofer.

What do you think the timeline on this will be ? Are we checking every morning for a possible announcement or will it be weeks or even end of season ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    What do you think the timeline on this will be ? Are we checking every morning for a possible announcement or will it be weeks or even end of season ?
    Ferry was announced as the Interm already. I would assume that means until the end of the season. All the best candidates will be tied up until then anyway.

What about Gentry for GM or President? Gentry knows everybody it seems personally in the league, and players do like Gentry. And whatever we may think of him as a coach, which I don't think he is a great coach, but he isn't a bad one either, he does know basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Monty Williams.

(not a suggestion, just a wild card name to throw out)

Me. Why not? Couldn't hurt.

It got buried elsewhere so I'll say it again. Break the bank and go get SAM PRESTI from OKC.

Drafted 3 MVP winners (credited for Tony Parker also) and used to small market success.

I am afraid of trying to discover the new "it" GM again, it's a gamble. Hiring someone who HAS a top job and proven success is the next step for growth for this organisation IMO. To that point, I'm cool with dude from Brooklyn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    It got buried elsewhere so I'll say it again. Break the bank and go get SAM PRESTI from OKC.

Drafted 3 MVP winners (credited for Tony Parker also) and used to small market success.

I am afraid of trying to discover the new "it" GM again, it's a gamble. Hiring someone who HAS a top job and proven success is the next step for growth for this organisation IMO. To that point, I'm cool with dude from Brooklyn as well.
    Why would he leave?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why would he leave?
    Money.

But a better question is why would they let him leave?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Money.

But a better question is why would they let him leave?
    Offer him a cruise ship full of money, he accepts or they counter and cough up some cash. His #2 is good enough to get promoted. They took a risk on him at 30. it's paid off PG and Westbrook are in for a bit, why overpay when you don't have to?

They might let him walk...

Why would he leave?
    Again, money, but is there enough money to get him to come HERE to deal with a dumpster fire?

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Again, money, but is there enough money to get him to come HERE to deal with a dumpster fire?
    That's the thing. How much can you realistically offer that would make him even consider leaving a job that he is seen as a star? Why start again from the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Me. Why not? Couldn't hurt.
    I don't know if I could follow my team with one of my exes at the helm.

That's the thing. How much can you realistically offer that would make him even consider leaving a job that he is seen as a star? Why start again from the bottom?
    I guess we can ask AD the same question. Some people like change. Ownership has an opportunity to make it known to the fanbase and around the league that they are building a championship organisation from the top down. Overpaying for a known top exec like Presti says that loud and clear.

I will have little optimism for giving someone their 1st shot, again, regardless of their background.

Re: Griffin...he also has the Sirius XM show with Joel Myers, so I think he'd know everything going on organizationally good or bad. And I don't know how much of a voice Joel has in these things, but at least we'd have some insight on our end.

Re: Monty/Gentry/whoever as GM...our GM hire is going to be charged with making franchise altering decisions. Most GMs in their entire careers never have the opportunity for something as significant as trading AD. It would be nice to hire someone with some modicum of experience in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Re: Griffin...he also has the Sirius XM show with Joel Myers, so I think he'd know everything going on organizationally good or bad. And I don't know how much of a voice Joel has in these things, but at least we'd have some insight on our end.

Re: Monty/Gentry/whoever as GM...our GM hire is going to be charged with making franchise altering decisions. Most GMs in their entire careers never have the opportunity for something as significant as trading AD. It would be nice to hire someone with some modicum of experience in the role.
    It would be interesting to hear Griffin's views from his show regarding the AD debacle as well as what he thinks they should trade him for. (i.e his view on the rumored "packages") I seem to recall he was definitely in the camp of waiting until the summer.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    So there's hope for Jeff Bower?

/Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral View Post
    So there's hope for Jeff Bower?

/Sarcasm
    I thought that went without saying!!

I heard Avery Johnson's people have been floating his name...he's from the area. And Bama isn't rocking and rolling now.....

regardless,right now we have to accept that this is a dumpster fire and we are one of the least attractive gm positions in league

Thread Information