Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Official Who Could Be Our Next GM Thread!

The Official Who Could Be Our Next GM Thread!

By request here is the official GM speculation thread! Who you like ? Who you hate? Here is the first name,

I think we should go with a candidate who has a h/o successfully building a contender like David Griffin or Danny Ferry since our next GM will apparently function as a GM and PBO. The Brooklyn Nets have no recent h/o sustainable success.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.

I don't hate anyone realistic (outside of people wanting Dumars or some nonsense like that).

I just want a thorough search and hire. Give me the best candidate and if we fail oh well, we at least gave it our best chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think we should go with a candidate who has a h/o successfully building a contender like David Griffin or Danny Ferry since our next GM will apparently function as a GM and PBO. The Brooklyn Nets have no recent h/o sustainable success.
    I brought up Griffin and his recent success in Cleveland. Some don’t like him because he is friends with Lebron.

Anyone from Toronto
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Anyone using flip charts is eliminated.

Zarren would be ideal, but he'd turn the pelicans down.

I want a business minded person with connections and not a former player. Bring in former players as scouts and lower level executives by all means but when the hire is likely to serve as defacto president of basketball operations it's important to bring in someone who understands team building philosophy for small markets, negotiating, and resource management. No more wasting assets like trading a first round pick for Asik and then giving him a stupid contract.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Zarren would be ideal, but he'd turn the pelicans down.

I want a business minded person with connections and not a former player. Bring in former players as scouts and lower level executives by all means but when the hire is likely to serve as defacto president of basketball operations it's important to bring in someone who understands team building philosophy for small markets, negotiating, and resource management. No more wasting assets like trading a first round pick for Asik and then giving him a stupid contract.
    A former player can be a business minded person with connections. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Danny Ainge and Jerry West are two of the best in the business...

I would want someone with successful experience, focused on laying a great foundation, most importantly in the area of asset retention and preservation. We need a world-class training staff, and we need a GM who has built and managed one. Analyze which teams have been able to stay healthy then win, and find an architect from one of those programs. All the focus on strategy for drafting and trading is superficial. We have proven that we can draft greatness without realizing the potential, due to injuries. Injuries have also ruined many decent trades. Build a culture where we take care of players, develop them, and therefore retain most of the good ones. While we are dreaming, I'd love to see a focus on bringing in smart players who work hard in a team concept that emphasizes defense, instead of athletic players who self-promote and focus on scoring. San Antonio would be the ideal model.

Hopefully they will get a new GM soon so he can start evaluating trade scenarios and getting a plan for the off season the draft and free agency . Waiting to long to do this will hinder that process .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Hopefully they will get a new GM soon so he can start evaluating trade scenarios and getting a plan for the off season the draft and free agency . Waiting to long to do this will hinder that process .

Will other teams allow us to interview their employees in season?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    A former player can be a business minded person with connections. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Sure but it's pretty rare

People get too caught up in hiring former players when it has very little to do with like 90% of the job. Ideally youd have a candidate who is both, but we've seen more successful bushiness/analytic guys that dont know the game that well, then we have former players who dont know the other side that well (Dell).
    Last edited by Pelifan; 02-18-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Its been 45 years since Jerry West has been a player. So in half a century, you're finding two examples? Especially when you think of just how many players have been through the league in the past 45 years. They're not mutually exclusive, but they're not common either.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Its been 45 years since Jerry West has been a player. So in half a century, you're finding two examples? Especially when you think of just how many players have been through the league in the past 45 years. They're not mutually exclusive, but they're not common either.
    Maybe he was afraid to mention Magic after what happened to him at the deadline...

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I brought up Griffin and his recent success in Cleveland. Some don’t like him because he is friends with Lebron.
    I think most people just questioned why you cited that twice as a reason to hire him.

Here are 10 more players that had varying degrees of success as GM's. Funny that Demps is on this list.
    http://tsminteractive.com/nba-players-general-managers/
    Last edited by shanesy; 02-18-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    I think most people just questioned why you cited that twice as a reason to hire him.

Yeah, that was my position. I don't think that Griffin would necessarily favour Lebron or anything, but 13 - 3 specifically listed Griffin's relationship with LBJ as a positive. So I just questioned why we would want to hire him, in relation to that. There's an argument for Griffin, sure, but it has nothing to do with Lebron and if you were to bring Lebron into it, it would probably be as a negative.
    Basketball.

Any thoughts on giving Jeff Bowers a second chance? He might have learned a lot from his time in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Floyd View Post
    Any thoughts on giving Jeff Bowers a second chance? He might have learned a lot from his time in Detroit

On the subject of Griffin: how much of his success do we attribute to him, and how much to Lebron?

So much of his time in CLE is coloured by the second Lebron era, which was pretty much guaranteed success because Lebron was there. He drafted Andrew Wiggins, but Wiggins isn't very good. He made the Love trade, but was that him, or was it on Lebron's orders? He oversaw the Kyrie Irving trade (I think), and that was a pretty horrible job.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    On the subject of Griffin: how much of his success do we attribute to him, and how much to Lebron?

So much of his time in CLE is coloured by the second Lebron era, which was pretty much guaranteed success because Lebron was there. He drafted Andrew Wiggins, but Wiggins isn't very good. He made the Love trade, but was that him, or was it on Lebron's orders? He oversaw the Kyrie Irving trade (I think), and that was a pretty horrible job.
    He didn't trade Kyrie. He had left the team before that.

From everything Griffin says, and I truly believe it, LeBron does not give orders and is not the GM of his teams. Obviously, the presence of LeBron greatly influences a GM's decision making and the GM of his teams know that if he can surround LeBron with the right team, they should make the finals. It's a very unique circumstance that shouldn't necessarily discredit the fact that he did help LeBron win a championship and made the right decisions. He was able to surround LeBron with role players that fit a LeBron team very well such as Mozgov, Frye, JR and Shumpert.

Also, from what we have seen in Los Angeles this year - having LeBron is not necessarily guaranteed success. You still have to make the right moves like Griffin did to surround LeBron with a team he can have success with.

In addition to his time with Cleveland, I think it's very important to remember that he was with the Phoenix Suns for 17 years including 3 as the VP of basketball operations. Phoenix was often on the cutting edge of basketball innovations between their medical staff and style of play during that era. He should also have a strong relationship with Gentry given that he was the head coach during that time.

I don't think all of this means Griffin is necessarily the main target of the franchise - I don't think we should have one until we have interviewed candidates and I wouldn't be surprised if the GM we hire is someone we haven't heard of yet. But, I do think Griffin should be seriously considered and I think he would fit our needs greatly and I'd feel more confident with him making the calls than Demps and probably a lot of GMs out there. He's a very smart guy - just give him a listen on the BS Podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIklTBJG7Y

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    He didn't trade Kyrie. He had left the team before that.

From everything Griffin says, and I truly believe it, LeBron does not give orders and is not the GM of his teams. Obviously, the presence of LeBron greatly influences a GM's decision making and the GM of his teams know that if he can surround LeBron with the right team, they should make the finals. It's a very unique circumstance that shouldn't necessarily discredit the fact that he did help LeBron win a championship and made the right decisions. He was able to surround LeBron with role players that fit a LeBron team very well such as Mozgov, Frye, JR and Shumpert.

Also, from what we have seen in Los Angeles this year - having LeBron is not necessarily guaranteed success. You still have to make the right moves like Griffin did to surround LeBron with a team he can have success with.

In addition to his time with Cleveland, I think it's very important to remember that he was with the Phoenix Suns for 17 years including 3 as the VP of basketball operations. Phoenix was often on the cutting edge of basketball innovations between their medical staff and style of play during that era. He should also have a strong relationship with Gentry given that he was the head coach during that time.

I don't think all of this means Griffin is necessarily the main target of the franchise - I don't think we should have one until we have interviewed candidates and I wouldn't be surprised if the GM we hire is someone we haven't heard of yet. But, I do think Griffin should be seriously considered and I think he would fit our needs greatly and I'd feel more confident with him making the calls than Demps and probably a lot of GMs out there. He's a very smart guy - just give him a listen on the BS Podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIklTBJG7Y
    Griffin could certainly get a head start since he is not involved with an NBA team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    From everything Griffin says, and I truly believe it, LeBron does not give orders and is not the GM of his teams. Obviously, the presence of LeBron greatly influences a GM's decision making and the GM of his teams know that if he can surround LeBron with the right team, they should make the finals. It's a very unique circumstance that shouldn't necessarily discredit the fact that he did help LeBron win a championship and made the right decisions. He was able to surround LeBron with role players that fit a LeBron team very well such as Mozgov, Frye, JR and Shumpert. [/url]
    Fair enough, I couldn't quite remember whether Altman took over just in time for the Kyrie trade, or just after.

As for the second part, I don't really know if that helps your argument too much. When Lebron went back to Cleveland, he was 30. It's not a case of surrounding Lebron with ''the right team'', it's surrounding Lebron with almost ANY team in the East is a guaranteed finals team. We saw that last year, where a Lebron carried Jordan Clarkson, Cedi Osman, Jose Calderon, and Jeff Green into the finals. If the argument in favour of Griffin is that he's able to sign us Timofey Mozgov and give JR Smith a giant contract, then I'm not sure how much that's actually in favour of him at all.

And true: having a 34 year old Lebron who's injured for 20+ games in the West isn't a guarantee for success. Having a 30 year old uninjured Lebron in the East though, very different issue.

Our name has been driven through the mud and the reputation of this franchise is not great. I think that is unfair since a good bit of it comes from the Shinn Era and the Stern Transition. The Bensons have been pretty great considering the state of the franchise when it was handed to them. I mean. At one point they didn't even think they would make payroll. So Gayle has my faith but I don't think the same can be said for people around the league.

Because of this, we have one hand tied behind our backs in the sense that we need to hire someone who can sooth those doubts. It has to be a name that people have faith in or a person that has connections to convince people to buy in.

I do just want to add that I'm not condemning Griffin. I don't pay nearly enough attention to the front offices of other franchises. I can't really say that I know too much about any of them. When I ask about how much we can judge him apart from LBJ, I'm genuinely curious. The Phoenix information is appreciated.

Thread Information