Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bontemps- Davis on the Celtics: "They are on my list."

...we get to go McDonalds
    I'd consider the Hawks deal, but they wouldn't do it; AD to Atlanta is a guaranteed one year rental.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Trae won't turn 21 until September. He's a really young player. I've been a Steph fan since Davidson (I was also a fan of Dell Curry). I'm not saying at all the Trae is Steph! But Steph came in as an older and more experienced rookie, so it's hard to compare. What would Steph have looked like in the league after his freshman year at Davidson instead of his junior year?

That 2021 pick could be a valuable lottery pick, but the Hawks would have cap space to add other pieces to AD (including another max). I'm not sure I really value that highly any future pick that actually belongs directly to the team we trade AD to. I don't think the value of Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Clippers, etc own pick will be that high. The Hawks could easily finish middle of the pack in the East and that pick would be in the late teens.
    Okay, so he's like 20. Doesn't actually impact my argument TOO much. I have no idea what Steph would have looked like if he had entered the NBA a year or so earlier. Nobody can say, really. That's partly why I said that Curry is a bad comparison: in his rookie year, Steph was much better than Trae. You can speculate that's because he was older, and maybe that's true, but I'm comparing like with like: rookie to rookie, rather than speculating too much about what they might have looked like if they had entered the NBA at different times.

I don't think stars join AD in ATL, is my whole thing. Which is part of why I don't think ATL would want to give up Trae anyway. If they wanted AD, they would want to pair him with the young guy they obviously believe in (they drafted him, after all), rather than to ship him away, because the odds of Kyrie or KD going to Atlanta are much lower than the odds of them going to NY or of Kyrie resigning in Boston. If ATL traded away John Collins for a 1 year rental of AD (which I believe it would be) then that 2021 pick would be gold.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Okay, so he's like 20. Doesn't actually impact my argument TOO much. I have no idea what Steph would have looked like if he had entered the NBA a year or so earlier. Nobody can say, really. That's partly why I said that Curry is a bad comparison: in his rookie year, Steph was much better than Trae. You can speculate that's because he was older, and maybe that's true, but I'm comparing like with like: rookie to rookie, rather than speculating too much about what they might have looked like if they had entered the NBA at different times.

I don't think stars join AD in ATL, is my whole thing. Which is part of why I don't think ATL would want to give up Trae anyway. If they wanted AD, they would want to pair him with the young guy they obviously believe in (they drafted him, after all), rather than to ship him away, because the odds of Kyrie or KD going to Atlanta are much lower than the odds of them going to NY or of Kyrie resigning in Boston. If ATL traded away John Collins for a 1 year rental of AD (which I believe it would be) then that 2021 pick would be gold.
    Doesn't have to be Kyrie or KD. It could be Butler, Kemba, DeMarcus (!)... I could actually see a Kemba/AD/Cousins Atlanta trio being a thing they would shoot for.

The reason I've heard guys don't want to go play in Atlanta is actually pretty funny: "It's where all the side chicks live!"

Atlanta is one of those places that should actually be a great NBA destination for players. I think if the field for AD trade partners is competitive, the Hawks are not going to draw the line at Trae Young and will have some idea if anyone else is willing to join AD in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    There’s gonna be a lot of butt hurt in here when AD goes to LA. Stocking up on popcorn now
    Take a seat and enjoy the ride. It’s almost as if you are BUTTHURT about being wrong on the deadline. Let it go.

Doesn't have to be Kyrie or KD. It could be Butler, Kemba, DeMarcus (!)... I could actually see a Kemba/AD/Cousins Atlanta trio being a thing they would shoot for.

The reason I've heard guys don't want to go play in Atlanta is actually pretty funny: "It's where all the side chicks live!"

Atlanta is one of those places that should actually be a great NBA destination for players. I think if the field for AD trade partners is competitive, the Hawks are not going to draw the line at Trae Young and will have some idea if anyone else is willing to join AD in Atlanta.
    Really? My view for why NBA players don't want to play in Atlanta is based on the fact that no stars ever go play in Atlanta. Absolutely nothing to do with the side chicks, or the music, or the food. The best NBA players in Atlanta franchise history were drafted by Atlanta. The free agents just don't go there. Can't tell you why, I don't know.

The best players they've had in the last 20 years have been Al Horford and Josh Smith. Both of whom they drafted. Their biggest free agent signing of the last 11 years? Probably Paul Millsap. Is he a good player? Sure. Is he a superstar? No.

I don't think Kemba leaves Charlotte, to be honest, and if he does, I see him going elsewhere. I think if Butler walks, the Sixers could offer him a contract, they have a ton of free space. If he wants to join a winner, that's a better spot than Atlanta. Milwaukee could even give him an offer, again, a winner, and they have Giannis there already guaranteed.

Cousins is not a star right now.

Really? My view for why NBA players don't want to play in Atlanta is based on the fact that no stars ever go play in Atlanta. Absolutely nothing to do with the side chicks, or the music, or the food. The best NBA players in Atlanta franchise history were drafted by Atlanta. The free agents just don't go there. Can't tell you why, I don't know.

The best players they've had in the last 20 years have been Al Horford and Josh Smith. Both of whom they drafted. Their biggest free agent signing of the last 11 years? Probably Paul Millsap. Is he a good player? Sure. Is he a superstar? No.

I don't think Kemba leaves Charlotte, to be honest, and if he does, I see him going elsewhere. I think if Butler walks, the Sixers could offer him a contract, they have a ton of free space. If he wants to join a winner, that's a better spot than Atlanta. Milwaukee could even give him an offer, again, a winner, and they have Giannis there already guaranteed.

Cousins is not a star right now.
    I've actually heard the reason from a guy who works for TNT on their basketball coverage. I'll leave it at that. LOL.

They also, until recently, didn't really embrace the Atlanta that would be the Atlanta your average NBA star would relate to. They were going after Braves fans, when they should have been going after Goodie Mobb fans. The team is starting to reflect the identity of the City. At least that's what I get from talking to people who live in Atlanta. They could very easily keep a top #3 pick and continue to build slowly. But if they thought they could pair AD with another player of 2 in free agency, I think they'd do it. Any team would. The only teams that might not, are teams that think they can get those stars without AD as the magnet, and I honestly think on the Lakers and Knicks are potentially in that position.

All of this obviously just more speculation to pass the time. It's going to be a long wait until May. This feels like a road trip. Are we there yet?
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-16-2019 at 05:33 PM.

daaaamn even kg lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Boy has this blown on his face and Rich Paul. Barkley also called him out.

Yeah when you have players coming out and saying this isn't a good look you know something is wrong because players typically always side with other players.

I think everyone recognizes publicly demanding a trade 18 months before you can opt out is a very bad look. Notice Jimmy Butler didn't get anywhere near the same criticism as AD. Why? Because he made his desires known privately over the summer and then only after he wasn't traded did he go public with it. AD did it 6 months earlier than he should have and he immediately went public with the information.

The question becomes, how does the NBA stop this going forward and how willing is the Players Association going to be in helping curb this behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah when you have players coming out and saying this isn't a good look you know something is wrong because players typically always side with other players.

I think everyone recognizes publicly demanding a trade 18 months before you can opt out is a very bad look. Notice Jimmy Butler didn't get anywhere near the same criticism as AD. Why? Because he made his desires known privately over the summer and then only after he wasn't traded did he go public with it. AD did it 6 months earlier than he should have and he immediately went public with the information.

The question becomes, how does the NBA stop this going forward and how willing is the Players Association going to be in helping curb this behavior?
    The obvious answer is to increase the fine, and give the team the ability to suspend for multiple games (w/o pay) for conduct detrimental to the team. Or at the very least the ability to send a player away from the team. There has to be real consequences.

Honestly, I expect that AD will never be a Laker. It's like when you start hanging out with a chick before you break up with your current gf. The backlash from the public becomes so bad it ruins the relationship.

I predict he gets traded elsewhere. I predict that elsewhere will also attract other stars. That elsewhere will be insanely successful, in a big market or storied franchise, while LAL continues to lol and when all is said and done he resigns wherever we send him.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's Knicks if they get the 1st, Boston otherwise.

Simples

Scratch that, trade AD to whomever gets the 1st pick. Zion is so alpha he out alphas LeBron
    lmao....the rights to the #1 pick right now is the single most valuable player based property in the nba. Worth more than AD. Thats not to say Zion will be better than AD next year or the year after....but because of salary and marketing andteam control he is a more valuable chip.

And it's not really close.

All these 'we are getting zion' fantasies need to stop....unless of course we win the lottery. Because it ain't happening. And once the #1 team is known(regardless of who it is), the hype for that team and marketing goldmine for them is only going to explode more....

Anthony Davis isn't going to atlanta. They arent going to want him for a year and give up a high pick and young player for that.

Still, by far, the most likely landing spot is boston. Really independent of what happens with Kyrie. the final price will probably be somewhere between what we would love from them and what those in the boston forum are hoping for. And what would be ok by me.

Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    lmao....the rights to the #1 pick right now is the single most valuable player based property in the nba. Worth more than AD. Thats not to say Zion will be better than AD next year or the year after....but because of salary and marketing andteam control he is a more valuable chip.

All these 'we are getting zion' fantasies need to stop....unless of course we win the lottery. Because it ain't happening. And once the #1 team is known(regardless of who it is), the hype for that team and marketing goldmine for them is only going to explode more....
    Depends on who gets the #1. I can see the Knicks trading it, not many others. If the Knicks feel that trading the #1 gets them KD, AD and Kyrie, they are not worried about the marketing of Zion.

This is funny. I've made a similar argument, only I at least concede the other side. My point has always been that there are so many variables that nothing is guaranteed and this is all a gamble and risk. The Knicks could find themselves in a situation where they have the #1 pick, and KD, Kyrie, and AD are all available to them to form a big 3 in New York. They might resist trading Zion for AD, but ultimately would acquiesce to the demands of KD and Kyrie in order to secure their commitment. It could also go a different way, and they could prefer to have Zion, depth, and just two superstars. I'd prefer the latter if I were them. It's a much more sustainable approach and would set that franchise up for the next decade. But you can't dismiss the possibility that they go all in to form a Big 3.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-16-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Anthony Davis isn't going to atlanta. They arent going to want him for a year and give up a high pick and young player for that.

Still, by far, the most likely landing spot is boston. Really independent of what happens with Kyrie. the final price will probably be somewhere between what we would love from them and what those in the boston forum are hoping for. And what would be ok by me.
    Where AD goes depends 50% on how the lottery shakes out, and 50% on the conversations between players/agents this weekends. If Atlanta or any other team can pair AD with another player playing this weekend, and a 3rd piece that helps win games - then I think that team has a shot at keeping AD for more than 1 season.

Philly just gave up multiple picks and players for a half season rental of Tobias Harris. Dude is an UFA in a few months. They can expect to sign him, but they don't know for sure.

This is funny. I've made a similar argument, only I at least concede the other side. My point has always been that there are so many variables that nothing is guaranteed and this is all a gamble and risk. The Knicks could find themselves in a situation where they have the #1 pick, and KD, Kyrie, and AD are all available to them to form a big 3 in New York. They might resist trading Zion for AD, but ultimately would acquiesce to the demands of KD and Kyrie in order to secure their commitment. It could also go a different way, and they could prefer to have Zion, depth, and just two superstars. I'd prefer the latter if I were them. It's a much more sustainable approach and would set that franchise up for the next decade. But you can't dismiss the possibility that they go all in to form a Big 3.
    these theoreticals are almost so small and unlikely to not even be worth talking about. Off the top you have a 14% chance of new york even getting the pick.Then on top of that you need KD to buy in to going to NY, so multiply that times the 14%....and you get an even smaller number. then you need KD and Kyrie to both come together and have a secret agreement to only come to NY together if they trade Zion for AD. And they wouldnt otherwise. And you definately have to hash that out aheadof time.....

On top of that...the 'wouldn't otherwise'(assuming Kyrie and KD both are dying to come...again another small percentage on top of the 14% to begin with) isn't even clear. Because I'm not a math PHD, but AD's cap number + signing two max free agents means if that even works NYK have to furnish the rest of the roster with the trashiest of trash. Kyrie + AD + Zion's cap number opens up another bit ofmoney for actual player to fill out this roster. This hypothetical roster that is unliely to happen...even *before* the 14% component.....we have a much better chance to just win the damn lottery ourselves

Look, I know Zion is so highly desired. I get it. I want him too. Everyone wants him. And since everyone wants him so bad everyone who is in the lottery better win it.....

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Depends on who gets the #1. I can see the Knicks trading it, not many others. If the Knicks feel that trading the #1 gets them KD, AD and Kyrie, they are not worried about the marketing of Zion.
    Sure they would be...it's not binary. And there is no way in hell they would go out on that ledge in the first place unless they were 100% sure all of that works out perfectly. Which would be highly unlikely. And even then I still don't think they do it. You guys are all seriously undervaluing this #1 pick......the hype surrounding this kid is such that nobody is going to trade it

If Atlanta or any other team can pair AD with another player playing this weekend, and a 3rd piece that helps win games
    so it's that easy to find two more complimentary bigtime players?

Hell if its so easy why didn't demps make this happen at any of the last several AS games?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Hell if its so easy why didn't demps make this happen at any of the last several AS games?
    I see your holding a monologue. I guess it's a Paradox when someone responds to your monologue. Huh!

Surely the Rish Paul/AD relationship is getting close to untenable considering the battering Davis' reputation is taking. Is there an out clause AD could use?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd say as of now we have more of a 20% chance of getting Zion. Our own first rounder and the Knicks one.

Seems like your worldview on this stuff is that it's either impossible or it's easy. I don't think I'd agree with either.

Hawks have everything they need to be a player this summer. They have large expiring contract to match salary. They have young guys on rookie contracts that people would covet. They have two lottery picks projected in the top 10. And they have ~$60m in cap space depending on cap holds.

What they do with that is anybody's guess. Whether or not a free agent buys into their plans, is also anybody's guess. I don't presume to know the answer to either question. All I know is they are in as good a position as any team in the league to make moves this summer.

You do realise NOLA is one of the hardest markets to attract big name FAs to if not the hardest

Thread Information