.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Zion to be Rich Paulís next client?

  1. #1

    Zion to be Rich Paulís next client?

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-duke-vs-uva

    James was on hand to watch Williamson stuff the stat sheet with 18 points, five assists, five rebounds, three steals and three blocks in Duke's 81-71 win at Virginia last Saturday.

    James took in the game with his agent, Rich Paul, as well as teammates Rajon Rondo and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. The Paul appearance caused some recruitment speculation, including comments from Darren Rovell of the Action Network.

    recruiting trip? I didn't talk to anybody," James said. "They're only saying that because it's Rich. When Shaq came to see me play in high school, when A.I. came to see me play in high school, they weren't saying it was a recruiting trip then. But because it's Rich Paul and LeBron, now it's a recruitment trip.

    "Now Rich is a threat to everybody and they look at it and they want to keep trying to jab my agent and jab my friend. And what is he doing that's wrong? They don't say that about no other agent when other guys go see (players). They don't say that about no other agent but my guy because he's a threat."

    James also mentioned that Paul could be receiving more scrutiny because he's African American. Paul added his own remarks, noting that his group was "just enjoying a basketball game" and did not speak with anyone. He also discussed the "coded language"—McMenamin's phrase—that he's been targeted with during his career.
    Perhaps we should look at RJ Barrett instead?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 02-15-2019 at 05:50 AM.

  2. #2
    For once, I actually agree with LBJ.

    While I think it's silly to act like we're all nuts for thinking it could be a scouting trip, and while there probably is an element of that there, it is kind of absurd to just assume that because they're watching a game, there's some deeper motive for it. The fact is, Zion is the biggest name with the most hype out of college for years and years. It would be weirder if Lebron and Rich Paul didn't go to see him play at some point.

    And if we're not taking Zion, we're taking Ja. Not sure why you'd jump to Barrett.
    Watching Pelicans games is what Georges Bataille meant by limit experiences.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For once, I actually agree with LBJ.

    While I think it's silly to act like we're all nuts for thinking it could be a scouting trip, and while there probably is an element of that there, it is kind of absurd to just assume that because they're watching a game, there's some deeper motive for it. The fact is, Zion is the biggest name with the most hype out of college for years and years. It would be weirder if Lebron and Rich Paul didn't go to see him play at some point.

    And if we're not taking Zion, we're taking Ja. Not sure why you'd jump to Barrett.
    Yeah you are right. I’m sure they were out there to watch the game. Rich Paul would never do anything mischievous.

  4. #4
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,298
    Canít let this scare us. Nothing stopping Rich Paul from getting Morant or Barrett either. Canít avoid Zion because his agent could be a dūsh.

  5. #5
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Pelicans worked with Rich to buyout Morris. If the Pelicans were taking this fight with Rich to the death, they would not have allowed Morris to go play for a contender; they would have sent Rich Paul's other client home and not let him play the rest of the season to prove a point.

    Darius Garland - who would be a nice pickup for the Pels in the first round where their pick is projected - is a Klutch client. This is going to be something the Pelicans and every other team has to deal with. If players are close in evaluation, maybe the Pelicans pass because avoiding Klutch is a tipping factor between two otherwise equal players. It won't be enough of a factor to avoid Zion.

    The question is how petty will Rich Paul be? How much of a grudge will he hold? There's no way to know.

  6. #6
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,217
    So, Lebron mentions that AI and Shaq came to see him when he played, but did not mention that they brought their agent from the agency they run to see him play. Slight difference. Also, very lazy and insulting for him to throw out the race card. I am hating Lebron more every day with his entitlement crap.

  7. #7
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,217
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Pelicans worked with Rich to buyout Morris. If the Pelicans were taking this fight with Rich to the death, they would not have allowed Morris to go play for a contender; they would have sent Rich Paul's other client home and not let him play the rest of the season to prove a point.
    They did not buyout Morris, they waived him. They did so to create a roster spot for the other trade as we did not have enough spots.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, Lebron mentions that AI and Shaq came to see him when he played, but did not mention that they brought their agent from the agency they run to see him play. Slight difference. Also, very lazy and insulting for him to throw out the race card. I am hating Lebron more every day with his entitlement crap.
    That was my problem with his comments. I don't care if he goes to see him, I don't care if he's good friends with his agent and brings him, my issue is him throwing race out there as if that had any bearing at all.

    It so easy now to just hide behind something like that to deflect from the actual issue.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah you are right. I’m sure they were out there to watch the game. Rich Paul would never do anything mischievous.
    I didn't say that, though, did I?

  10. #10
    whether or not Zion signs with Klutch you still take him #1.

    Rich works for Zion not the other way around. And this guy doesnt give me any red flags at all like Simmons does, or even a little bit Anthony Davis did.

  11. #11
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    They did not buyout Morris, they waived him. They did so to create a roster spot for the other trade as we did not have enough spots.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'd missed that. Oy! So this means there is no evidence to suggest Klutch and Pels organization can work together. Great. I guess they could have released another player and parked Morris - so the favor to Klutch angle wtill works.

    I hope there was at least a professional conversation between agent/gm about the decision. I'm just searching for a professional foundation to build on going forward. Perhaps that was part of the thinking in allowing AD to play? I'm searching/reaching...

    in the long term the organization loses if they have such a negative relationship with any agent.

  12. #12
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, Lebron mentions that AI and Shaq came to see him when he played, but did not mention that they brought their agent from the agency they run to see him play. Slight difference. Also, very lazy and insulting for him to throw out the race card. I am hating Lebron more every day with his entitlement crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That was my problem with his comments. I don't care if he goes to see him, I don't care if he's good friends with his agent and brings him, my issue is him throwing race out there as if that had any bearing at all.

    It so easy now to just hide behind something like that to deflect from the actual issue.
    It's impossible for either of you to speak to LeBron or Rich's experience with race. To dismiss it, means you believe we're in some post racial society that there is ample anecdotal, qualitative, and quantitative examples against.

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...me-los-angeles

    Capt. Patricia Sandoval, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department, said an unidentified person spray-painted the N-word on the front gate. Police are investigating it as an act of vandalism and a possible hate crime.

  13. #13
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    “You’ve just activated my race card”

    I hate to say that one dumb line can destroy your whole argument, but wow. You were doing okay till that point Bron Bron.

  14. #14
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,217
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's impossible for either of you to speak to LeBron or Rich's experience with race. To dismiss it, means you believe we're in some post racial society that there is ample anecdotal, qualitative, and quantitative examples against.

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...me-los-angeles

    Capt. Patricia Sandoval, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department, said an unidentified person spray-painted the N-word on the front gate. Police are investigating it as an act of vandalism and a possible hate crime.
    Your post is completely irrelevant to this discussion and a blatant attempt to turn it into a racial argument. Go read his quote. It was not a racial issue, he pulled it out as a possible explanation for why people questioned the motives. There was no proof, no racial comments, no hate crimes, no painting on his seat. Nothing but a lazy attempt to use the race card as an excuse even though race was not even addressed by anyone else.

  15. #15
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's impossible for either of you to speak to LeBron or Rich's experience with race. To dismiss it, means you believe we're in some post racial society that there is ample anecdotal, qualitative, and quantitative examples against.

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...me-los-angeles

    Capt. Patricia Sandoval, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department, said an unidentified person spray-painted the N-word on the front gate. Police are investigating it as an act of vandalism and a possible hate crime.
    This completely unrelated incident has nothing to do with Rich Paul or why people would question his motives

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's impossible for either of you to speak to LeBron or Rich's experience with race. To dismiss it, means you believe we're in some post racial society that there is ample anecdotal, qualitative, and quantitative examples against.

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...me-los-angeles

    Capt. Patricia Sandoval, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department, said an unidentified person spray-painted the N-word on the front gate. Police are investigating it as an act of vandalism and a possible hate crime.
    What in the world does that have to do with Lebron trying to use Race as a reason why other people might have an issue with him going with his agent to watch Zion play?

    Because I personally had a bad experience 10 years ago am I allowed to now undermine anyone who criticizes my actions forever by simply saying their motives are racially motivated with no evidence, proof, and no burden to provide any?

  17. #17
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Your post is completely irrelevant to this discussion and a blatant attempt to turn it into a racial argument. Go read his quote. It was not a racial issue, he pulled it out as a possible explanation for why people questioned the motives. There was no proof, no racial comments, no hate crimes, no painting on his seat. Nothing but a lazy attempt to use the race card as an excuse even though race was not even addressed by anyone else.
    Dude... your comment, and Mythol's.... are the first one's to draw attention to a "race card" in LeBron's comments. IF I disagree with your conclusion that race is irrelevant, how can I not be allowed to post that without being accused of turning the discussion into a racial argument?!?!? That's ridiculous! YOU brought that part of his comments to the forefront.

    Again, you can't know what motivated LeBron, and his lifelong experience as a racial minority, to believe race impacts the way any of his actions are interpreted. I'm not even saying it does in this instance! I'm saying YOU are not in a reasonable position to find fault with a dude who sees race playing a role in the way he is viewed. By any objective measure he represents the distinctly American ideals of meritocracy, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, overcoming your circumstances, and uplifting those around you in the process. His learned and lived experience, one example of which is the incident I linked to, informs (quite logically) why he would think this. Even a small fraction of what we know about publicly - from Dan Gilbert's letter, to having ****** spray painted on his home, Phil Jackson's posse comments, being told to "shut up and dribble" - reasonably informs why LeBron might think race plays a role in how people view him, his associates, and his actions.

  18. #18
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,217
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Dude... your comment, and Mythol's.... are the first one's to draw attention to a "race card" in LeBron's comments. IF I disagree with your conclusion that race is irrelevant, how can I not be allowed to post that without being accused of turning the discussion into a racial argument?!?!? That's ridiculous! YOU brought that part of his comments to the forefront.

    Again, you can't know what motivated LeBron, and his lifelong experience as a racial minority, to believe race impacts the way any of his actions are interpreted. I'm not even saying it does in this instance! I'm saying YOU are not in a reasonable position to find fault with a dude who sees race playing a role in the way he is viewed. By any objective measure he represents the distinctly American ideals of meritocracy, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, overcoming your circumstances, and uplifting those around you in the process. His learned and lived experience, one example of which is the incident I linked to, informs (quite logically) why he would think this. Even a small fraction of what we know about publicly - from Dan Gilbert's letter, to having ****** spray painted on his home, Phil Jackson's posse comments, being told to "shut up and dribble" - reasonably informs why LeBron might think race plays a role in how people view him, his associates, and his actions.
    YOU bring up something completely irrelevant to the discussion from a couple of years ago! If he were talking about that sort of situation, it would be relevant. He is pulling the race card out of nowhere when it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. That was the discussion, not that he is a minority or has had his house vandalized years ago. He intentionally deflected the conversation by lazily throwing out a race card without any provocation.

  19. #19
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JJackisangry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Dude... your comment, and Mythol's.... are the first one's to draw attention to a "race card" in LeBron's comments. IF I disagree with your conclusion that race is irrelevant, how can I not be allowed to post that without being accused of turning the discussion into a racial argument?!?!? That's ridiculous! YOU brought that part of his comments to the forefront.

    Again, you can't know what motivated LeBron, and his lifelong experience as a racial minority, to believe race impacts the way any of his actions are interpreted. I'm not even saying it does in this instance! I'm saying YOU are not in a reasonable position to find fault with a dude who sees race playing a role in the way he is viewed. By any objective measure he represents the distinctly American ideals of meritocracy, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, overcoming your circumstances, and uplifting those around you in the process. His learned and lived experience, one example of which is the incident I linked to, informs (quite logically) why he would think this. Even a small fraction of what we know about publicly - from Dan Gilbert's letter, to having ****** spray painted on his home, Phil Jackson's posse comments, being told to "shut up and dribble" - reasonably informs why LeBron might think race plays a role in how people view him, his associates, and his actions.
    The problem with using race as an argument in this instance is that it is used to dismiss any criticisms of his agent. I actually think itís innocent enough that they are watching the game, but James is essentially using his own passive aggressive brand of McCarthyism to win an argument. Itís the same with politicians these days with labels such as ďNazi, Communist, Alt-right, Fascist, Snowflake, etc.Ē Athletes, actors, public figures, etc. are too lazy to come up with their own arguments so they often use similar practices. Itís lazy and dishonest.

  20. #20
    Is race a factor in how people judge other people? No question. Of course it is, and yes, it's stupid and wilfully ignorant to pretend that it isn't.

    Is race the only reason people might have for thinking Rich Paul, a basketball agent, at a basketball game, might be interested in signing one of the players at the game? No, of course it's not.

  21. #21
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    YOU bring up something completely irrelevant to the discussion from a couple of years ago! If he were talking about that sort of situation, it would be relevant. He is pulling the race card out of nowhere when it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. That was the discussion, not that he is a minority or has had his house vandalized years ago. He intentionally deflected the conversation by lazily throwing out a race card without any provocation.
    I'm going to make a leap of faith that you're not an African American, and hope you recognize that because you're not, this might be something you just don't get.

    My only point is it's not a "race card" if there are legitimate reasons we can point to as to why LeBron believes race plays a role in how he and his agent are viewed. It's informed experience. If you had a racial slur spray painted on your home, or were bitten by a schnauzer, it might inform how you believe people and/or schnauzers view you going forward.

    If you've had multiple bad experiences with society fat shaming you, you might think the reason the new lady at work doesn't want to go out with you is because you're chubby. It might not be. But if you think it's because you're overweight, that's a completely reasonable thing to believe. It's not the "fat card".

  22. #22
    Looks like Lebron got denied on coaching change

    https://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...214-story.html

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'm going to make a leap of faith that you're not an African American, and hope you recognize that because you're not, this might be something you just don't get.

    My only point is it's not a "race card" if there are legitimate reasons we can point to as to why LeBron believes race plays a role in how he and his agent are viewed. It's informed experience. If you had a racial slur spray painted on your home, or were bitten by a schnauzer, it might inform how you believe people and/or schnauzers view you going forward.

    If you've had multiple bad experiences with society fat shaming you, you might think the reason the new lady at work doesn't want to go out with you is because you're chubby. It might not be. But if you think it's because you're overweight, that's a completely reasonable thing to believe. It's not the "fat card".
    That's the point. There is no legitimate reason for Lebron to think that in this instance race would play any role whatsoever.

  24. #24
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's the point. There is no legitimate reason for Lebron to think that in this instance race would play any role whatsoever.
    No, it's not. I hope the point that I'm capable of making, and that you all are open to understanding, is that if you have a life learned experience of being confronted with racism, it informs how you view every instance. I hope that you all are open to approaching this idea that people "play with the race card" with some degree of empathy that you might not understand or agree with his perspective, but the reason for it isn't something that he's imagining. I'd accept a shoulder shrug and acknowledgement that it doesn't resonate with you, but it's insulting when the response is instead apoplectic or just outright dismissive.

    My expectation isn't that a bball message board is the place to solve this, but I'm going to always be me so I've made my attempt and now moving on...

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No, it's not. I hope the point that I'm capable of making, and that you all are open to understanding, is that if you have a life learned experience of being confronted with racism, it informs how you view every instance. I hope that you all are open to approaching this idea that people "play with the race card" with some degree of empathy that you might not understand or agree with his perspective, but the reason for it isn't something that he's imagining. I'd accept a shoulder shrug and acknowledgement that it doesn't resonate with you, but it's insulting when the response is instead apoplectic or just outright dismissive.

    My expectation isn't that a bball message board is the place to solve this, but I'm going to always be me so I've made my attempt and now moving on...
    If it helps, I actually agree with you for once.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •