Basketball.

I'm sensing a pattern here

How to best remember Dell Demps?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Low percentage risk taker. Is probably the best way to describe his tenure as GM. He wasn't totally incompetent and it's hard to gauge a person's impact without completely knowing what the mandate was. However all his large gambles back fired.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I find it hard to believe his mandate was “trade away draft picks.”

He wanted to immediately put a team around AD while he was on his rookie contract and it blew up in his face. To be honest, he also got a gift from God in the Boogie trade. But it appears god giveth and he taketh away.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post

He wanted to immediately put a team around AD while he was on his rookie contract and it blew up in his face. To be honest, he also got a gift from God in the Boogie trade. But it appears god giveth and he taketh away.
    Granted Tom Benson put a lot of pressure on him to be an immediate contender. He tried to take every short cut

Maybe not specifically "trade away draft picks", but it was definitely "I'm old, I want us in WIN NOW mode to win a championship". And you can't do that building with draft picks. The math is pretty simple.

So when it's bad, it was all his fault but when he did something good he was just lucky? OK then...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So when it's bad, it was all his fault but when he did something good he was just lucky? OK then...

When it was bad, yes, it was his fault. When it was good, he deserves credit. But he got two gifts from god and in one case, he blew it. In another, he got unlucky.

Gift 1: Trade is axed and he lucks into first pick of draft. He then proceeds to pee on himself in building around AD.
    Gift 2: Cousins comes available. He gets hurt, it's unlucky.

Trading Cousins for Buddy + draft pick isn't a genius GM move, it's luck. If Sacramento doesn't over-value Hield, nothing ever happens there. That's not Dell, that's luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Maybe not specifically "trade away draft picks", but it was definitely "I'm old, I want us in WIN NOW mode to win a championship". And you can't do that building with draft picks. The math is pretty simple.
    I feel you. I disagree. "Win now" doesn't mean do dumb ********. The guy thought it was his mandate to ship CP3 in order to build around Kevin Martin and Luis Scola? It was hard to take him seriously as a GM at that point.

I feel you. I disagree. "Win now" doesn't mean do dumb ********. The guy thought it was his mandate to ship CP3 in order to build around Kevin Martin and Luis Scola? It was hard to take him seriously as a GM at that point.
    i agree about the CP3 non-trade. But we're talking about building around AD here. Benson wasn't going to sit around and wait for the build through the draft concept, he was determined to win immediately with AD. Also, didn't we still have those attendance benchmarks for the first year or two of AD? Not sure when those expired. Only way to build attendance is to win.

When it was bad, yes, it was his fault. When it was good, he deserves credit. But he got two gifts from god and in one case, he blew it. In another, he got unlucky.

Gift 1: Trade is axed and he lucks into first pick of draft. He then proceeds to pee on himself in building around AD.
    Gift 2: Cousins comes available. He gets hurt, it's unlucky.

Trading Cousins for Buddy + draft pick isn't a genius GM move, it's luck. If Sacramento doesn't over-value Hield, nothing ever happens there. That's not Dell, that's luck.
    I disagree.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I honestly think if he wasn't pressured by ownership to win as soon as possible he would've been a better GM. He was very crafty though, and a smart guy whom I think would be an excellent assistant in a NBA front office.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Thread Information