Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gentry has lost this team...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'd be floored if Kevin McHale was an NBA coach again anytime soon after his Trump support.

If we look to the college ranks, I've always thought Shaka Smart was a good young coach. Texas is struggling this year, but I'm still interested. Sean Miller is another coach I like if he's ready to leave behind the oversight of NCAA.

I know nothing about NBA assistants, but I'd feel more comfortable going that rout if we got a GM who has been in the NBA in the last 5 years. Not an Isiah, Avery, Dumars type.
    O lord, now you are bringing politics to this board? What in tarnations is wrong with you?
    Why would anybody care who somebody voted for?
    Dude , you need to chill w/ your crazy garbage.
    I don't know who anybody voted for, I don't care who anybody voted for.
    Is their a "candidate" ban in The NBA ?
    Just WOW. Not sure anybody, at anytime on this forum has ever interjected politics.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    This is the NBA we are talking about. These guys have the biggest egos around.

Seriously though, if you had to pick one assistant from the Spurs, you would pick Hammon? Over Messina?
    Interesting that you'd post that just as I was typing up a comment about Messina!

I'd be happy with either. I have trust in Becky, and I would prefer her because she signals an intention by the franchise to do something different, and I do think that she has the ability to be a legitimately good NBA head coach, and I'd love to see that.

But I would also be happy if we took Messina. He has a wealth of high level coaching experience, and although he doesn't have that 'potential' factor, he does have all the stuff on his resume that would make me be perfectly happy if we took him.

I'd prefer Hammon. I'd be totally fine with Messina.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Just WOW. Not sure anybody, at anytime on this forum has ever interjected politics.
    I mean, I get what you're saying.

But I literally said I was in favour of full Irish independence from the UK a few days ago. That's pretty darn political.

This is a great conversation. Everyone making good points. I will note however that no one has come up with a compelling reason to stick with Gentry though, so I guess that's that. LOL
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    This is a great conversation. Everyone making good points. I will note however that no one has come up with a compelling reason to stick with Gentry though, so I guess that's that. LOL
    Ha, that is one thing I think we all can agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I get what you're saying.

But I literally said I was in favour of full Irish independence from the UK a few days ago. That's pretty darn political.
    C'mon Pond jumper - that was a passing time conversation .
    Whether you told me one way or the other wouldn't affect whether I would conversate with you.
    I enjoy the banter, the argument, the disagreements, the knowledge et al & don't give a rats tail about your political positions.
    That's entirely different than saying someone is blackballed because they support a certain candidate. That seems sooooo shallow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    O lord, now you are bringing politics to this board? What in tarnations is wrong with you?
    Why would anybody care who somebody voted for?
    Dude , you need to chill w/ your crazy garbage.
    I don't know who anybody voted for, I don't care who anybody voted for.
    Is their a "candidate" ban in The NBA ?
    https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...-well-received

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...a-trump-rally/

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...-mchale-trump/

This was/is a real thing.

It would be problematic for the Pelicans to hire McHale.

Ha, that is one thing I think we all can agree on.
    Yes, agreed. No real reason to keep Gentry on.

So should any player, coach or brass be afraid to mention that they voted for Trump or whoever they voted for?

So should any player, coach or brass be afraid to mention that they voted for Trump or whoever they voted for?
    Listen dude... I never said he should be blackballed. Never said I wouldn't hire him. I'd be floored if Colin Kaepernick gets a job in the NFL again too. Doesn't mean I think it's right.

Here is an article supporting McHale's right...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...o-13020905.php

I'm not having the debate with you on politics that you're trying to provoke, especially since you were aghast at anything remotely political being on this board.

Given you're an NBA fan, know the players, and presumably know New Orleans, you can think for yourself on whether exactly what I posted ..."I would be floored (surprised) if McHale was an NBA coach again..." has any merits or if his hire would be problematic for Pelicans.

I'd prefer to continue to discuss whether Becky Hammon is advantaged or disadvantaged by being a female assistant coach (as if that's a topic a bunch of dudes should credibly weigh in on and isn't remotely political).
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Yes, by glossing over the fact that Gentry had this team top 8 in Defense and Overall offense LAST YEAR, it is proven no one has made a valid point. Name another coach that has done that here. I'll wait...

Oh yeah please bring up all the potential coaches and what they could do. Gentry is a good coach period, better than Monty by far (hope he gets another shot soon). This organisation desperately needs stability first, health second, and depth third. Move AD and keep pushing pace.

Coaches and GM are fine. Knee jerks I tell ya...

If she were not a woman (and not touted by Fletcher weekly), would you feel she was the most qualified to be our next head coach? I do not see anything that she has done for me to be comfortable handing over the team to her. Working under the best coach in the game is a plus, but does not automatically qualify her to be a head coach in the NBA. We likely need a coach to work with younger players to develop them. Is she that coach?
    Well I first thought making a run at Calipari would be awesome but since that seems like a waste of time, my thoughts on a new head coach shifted.

We need a coach that will change the national narrative from we're not serious about winning to 'what a positive move by the Pels'. Then they can focus on how terrible of a basketball town Memphis is. We need a coach that can sell tickets too...and corporate sponsorships. A positive beacon of light that fans can at least hang some hope on. BH fits the bill. The current list of retreads are just stale and grumpy. So gender probably has very little with my choice.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Listen dude... I never said he should be blackballed. Never said I wouldn't hire him. I'd be floored if Colin Kaepernick gets a job in the NFL again too. Doesn't mean I think it's right.

Here is an article supporting McHale's right...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...o-13020905.php

I'm not having the debate with you on politics that you're trying to provoke, especially since you were aghast at anything remotely political being on this board.

Given you're an NBA fan, know the players, and presumably know New Orleans, you can think for yourself on whether exactly what I posted ..."I would be floored (surprised) if McHale was an NBA coach again..." has any merits or if his hire would be problematic for Pelicans.

I'd prefer to continue to discuss whether Becky Hammon is advantaged or disadvantaged by being a female assistant coach (as if that's a topic a bunch of dudes should credibly weigh in on).
    I'm just gonna use the ignore button.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Coaches and GM are fine. Knee jerks I tell ya...
    Knee jerks? Demps has been here almost 9 years and Gentry 4. Gentry has not been overly successful as a head coach anywhere he has been. It is time to start anew IMO.

Knee jerks? Demps has been here almost 9 years and Gentry 4. Gentry has not been overly successful as a head coach anywhere he has been. It is time to start anew IMO.
    Agreed!

If we're moving on from AD, who has been far more successful as a player than Gentry has as a coach, then I don't see why we need to cling to Gentry either. We're looking to build a new identity, based on an ethos of winning, playing with intensity, and integrity. Gentry seems to be a perfectly nice guy, but he hasn't been able to keep winning, or intensity, in mind for more than 3 games at a time in four years.

Make a great Pres of Basketball Operations hire that answers to ownership. If that hire is good, I'll respect whatever decision they make on coach/GM, even if it's keeping Dell and Gentry.

Until given a reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Agreed!

If we're moving on from AD, who has been far more successful as a player than Gentry has as a coach, then I don't see why we need to cling to Gentry either. We're looking to build a new identity, based on an ethos of winning, playing with intensity, and integrity. Gentry seems to be a perfectly nice guy, but he hasn't been able to keep winning, or intensity, in mind for more than 3 games at a time in four years.
    Here's my Question: when is the cut-off date for Demps? With no trading happening, should we NOT flip the switch ASAP ?

Gentry has had plenty of time to turn us into the Warriors. He has failed. Demps comes from the Shinn era . Let that sink in. This has been a good conversation. Finch may not be a bad choice. I do agree on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Gentry has had plenty of time to turn us into the Warriors. He has failed. Demps comes from the Shinn era . Let that sink in. This has been a good conversation. Finch may not be a bad choice. I do agree on that too.
    Not Pop, not Kerr, not Doc... come on.

I am much more in favor of moving Demps, personnel has been an issue. Gambles have not paid out.

You're being knee jerks reacting to the current team performance is all. The argument he has failed here is not valid. Top 8 last year, keep glossing that over.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Not Pop, not Kerr, not Doc... come on.

I am much more in favor of moving Demps, personnel has been an issue. Gambles have not paid out.

You're being knee jerks reacting to the current team performance is all. The argument he has failed here is not valid. Top 8 last year, keep glossing that over.
    1 playoff appearance in 4 years, and that playoff appearance fueled by AD playing at world beating levels combined with Nikola Mirotic undergoing a career hot-stretch from deep.

Defense has been bottom 5 two of those 4 years. Best finish of 48 wins.

How is it knee-jerk to say that a guy who has had 4 years, and so far a combined record of 137-167, has not done particularly well and that if we're looking to rebuild, we may need to move on from him?

He's been a head coach for a total 16 seasons. He has made the playoffs a total 3 times. Sometimes that's been his fault, sometimes not, but are we really going to pretend like he's built a bulletproof case for staying?

MM mentioned jerry Stackhouse who would Def be interesting.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    MM mentioned jerry Stackhouse who would Def be interesting.

Again, maybe knee-deep basketball junkies might get excited, but every day run of the mill fans - does not move the needle. AD's announcement was like a corporate poison pill. Heads will roll. There will be blood. But with the right pieces in place, the sun will rise and tomorrow will be a better day.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Again, maybe knee-deep basketball junkies might get excited, but every day run of the mill fans - does not move the needle. AD's announcement was like a corporate poison pill. Heads will roll. There will be blood. But with the right pieces in place, the sun will rise and tomorrow will be a better day.
    I really don't care about casual fans. they'll cone once you start winning or have an exciting team. getting a name coach just to put ppl in seats will only last a year and a half or so. the only name coach I'd want is pop and thats not happening lol

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    This is what he said about Stackhouse and Hammond:

"Stack would want to push the pace, shoot a lot of 3s and likes to develop as well. He is also a tough SOB and would demand his teams play that way as well

As for Hammond, I wouldn't pretend to know and nobody else should either. The only time we ever really saw her coach is at Summer League. Is she smart? Yes. Does she know the game? Of course.

But her qualifications on paper are nothing in comparison to even the other men she shares a bench with in San Antonio. You would be taking a total shot in the dark with little or nothing of substance to back up your decision."

Idk about anyone else but that Stackhouse info Def has me excited about the possibility js

This is what it boils down to. We simply just need to start anew. I'm not opposed to Dell, I think the past few years especially he's done rather well.

But in a situation like this, you just have to clean house. Same goes for Gentry and the coaching staff. I don't think we can even hire Finch as the head coach.

After how everything has played out with AD we have to completely wash the team clean and start over. All new faces. People with no baggage that fans can get behind and support.

Most of all, all new people give the fans HOPE, which is desperately needed for the fan base.

Thread Information