.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: 3 points. 6 Boards. 24 minutes. Thanks NBA!

  1. #26
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Granger was a stud preinjury.
    Hear, Hear ! Nothing to do with his NBA career, but I was able to watch him regularly in High School. He was frightening.

  2. #27
    Don't really have any love or hate for Danny Granger, but just thought I'd dump some stats here so you can be reminded of how good Granger was during the years he was healthy.

    From 2008 to 2012, over 350 games, he averaged 21.6/5.4/2.4/1.2/1.0 on 44% from the floor and 39% from three. Net rating of +4, average PER of 19.

    So that's not superstar levels, but it's pretty good. I would be disappointed in Tatum if that's all he ever reached, I think he has more potential than that particularly on defense, but it's not like Granger was a scrub.
    Zion ''The Earthquake'' Williamson

    Paying attention to the next draft too early.

  3. #28
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Don't really have any love or hate for Danny Granger, but just thought I'd dump some stats here so you can be reminded of how good Granger was during the years he was healthy.

    From 2008 to 2012, over 350 games, he averaged 21.6/5.4/2.4/1.2/1.0 on 44% from the floor and 39% from three. Net rating of +4, average PER of 19.

    So that's not superstar levels, but it's pretty good. I would be disappointed in Tatum if that's all he ever reached, I think he has more potential than that particularly on defense, but it's not like Granger was a scrub.
    Tatum's game is better than Grangers. But, I'd have a healthy Granger on my team. Without Injury, if he'd a played through age 32 ish healthy, he was a 21 & 7 guy, that could flat out SHOOT.
    Granger also didn't make a pit stop in college . He actually stayed. Tatum is still younger than Granger , then when Granger entered NBA.
    Last edited by Tinman; 02-13-2019 at 07:22 AM.

  4. #29
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Don't really have any love or hate for Danny Granger, but just thought I'd dump some stats here so you can be reminded of how good Granger was during the years he was healthy.

    From 2008 to 2012, over 350 games, he averaged 21.6/5.4/2.4/1.2/1.0 on 44% from the floor and 39% from three. Net rating of +4, average PER of 19.

    So that's not superstar levels, but it's pretty good. I would be disappointed in Tatum if that's all he ever reached, I think he has more potential than that particularly on defense, but it's not like Granger was a scrub.
    Look at how well he played in post season last year - as a rookie. I think his ceiling is clearly higher and I honestly Granger has never even entered my mind when watching Tatum.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    AD is the tank commander!

  6. #31
    No love for DJ Augustin?

  7. #32
    The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Tatum is a mix of DJ Augustin and Greg Monroe, and other times an Elfred Payton and Greg Monroe combo. It all depends on the matchups
    Last edited by luigi modelo; 02-13-2019 at 08:03 AM.

  8. #33
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Tatum is a mix of DJ Augustin and Greg Monroe, and other times an Alfred Payton and Greg Monroe combo. It all depends on the matchups
    Lol !

  9. #34
    I went to Grace King with Danny Granger. I know Danny Granger. Jayson Tatum is no Danny Granger
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  10. #35
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I went to Grace King with Danny Granger. I know Danny Granger. Jayson Tatum is no Danny Granger
    Didn't see Tatum play in high school, so I don't know. But, I saw Granger several dozen & , in high school, Danny Granger, at that time was in a league of his own.
    With that being said , I was also fortunate to watch Every game DJ Augustine played at Brother Martin.
    Hands down, DJ Augustine was a better high school player than Danny Granger.

  11. #36
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,798
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    More than a few NBA scouts and draft sites compared Tatum to Granger coming into the league. He was also compared to Rudy Gay, but I see more Granger. Hes younger than Danny was when he entered the league, but Id expect him to play at that same weight when he hits his prime. I see a lot of similarities actually. And like I said, I like Danny.

    Im not sure Tinman ever gets my points.
    So you basically googled the comparison from nbadraft.net. While those are great for information during the draft, they are far from accurate. Unless you thing Johnathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram are both the next Kevin Durant, Markelle Fultz the next James Harden, Wiggins the next Vince Carter or Russell Westbrook the next Rajon Rondo.

    Now that the deadline is passed, I am not sure why you continually try to degrade the potential Celtics deal. Are you a closet Lakers fan who is upset we did not make the trade?

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Didn't see Tatum play in high school, so I don't know. But, I saw Granger several dozen & , in high school, Danny Granger, at that time was in a league of his own.
    With that being said , I was also fortunate to watch Every game DJ Augustine played at Brother Martin.
    Hands down, DJ Augustine was a better high school player than Danny Granger.
    I tell everyone who will listen, but Grace King’s basketball team was horrible, but it was made horrible by its own hand. Coach Fitz wasn’t an basketball coach, and he didn’t know where to play his players. Yes, Danny was on that team, but 4 of those guys were playing AAU ball, and 4 of them went on to play college basketball at one level or another. The team had talent, but the kid running point was feeling himself and thought he was Jason “White Chocolate” Williams. That kid couldn’t get the right people the ball, and he was a liability on defense, but he got playing time because he was the coaches son. If you had a legit 1 who wasn’t feeling himself the team would have done better, heck, if you had Danny, Geason, Suggs, or even Fujita (other guys on the team) they would have gone further. It’s crazy to think that with so much talent we never made the playoffs.

    Danny was a great guy, and smart as hell. His sister was probably a better baller than he was.

  13. #38
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So you basically googled the comparison from nbadraft.net. While those are great for information during the draft, they are far from accurate. Unless you thing Johnathan Isaac and Brandon Ingram are both the next Kevin Durant, Markelle Fultz the next James Harden, Wiggins the next Vince Carter or Russell Westbrook the next Rajon Rondo.

    Now that the deadline is passed, I am not sure why you continually try to degrade the potential Celtics deal. Are you a closet Lakers fan who is upset we did not make the trade?
    Well actually... No. I really think it's a fair comp. I'm 4 years older than Danny Granger, but I know New Orleans H.S./AAU scene very well, and as a basketball fan for 30+ years Danny Granger is one of the few people I've seen play at every level. I googled Tatum comps after the fact to see who he was actually compared to since I know that's a thing that happens every draft season. I wasn't surprised that other people have the same opinion since to me it was obvious. However given the age difference, I don't even think draft comps are fair and as you point out they're usually not accurate. But that's not even what I was doing. I was comparing Granger the NBA player to Tatum the NBA player.

    I threw out a Granger comparison and gave yall something to chew on for a few hours. You should be thanking me.

    95% of the people here love the Celtics deal and waiting to make the deal. I don't. I'm not sure why people continuously post half the stuff they post here, but how interesting is it if every thread is dominated by the 95% of people who are in agreement? The Pelicans decided to put the fanbase through an experience in which everyone is currently losing -fans, players, ownership, coaches, league - so that they could secure an asset the clearly value. If that asset is Tatum (maybe it's Zion), I think it's worth discussing who a comparable NBA talent is. If you think Tatum is the next Kawhi or Kobe, and a trade happens, this is 5 months no one will remember. I think he's Danny Granger. And as several have pointed out that might be just fine!
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 02-13-2019 at 03:02 PM.

  14. #39
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,798
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Well actually... No. I really think it's a fair comp. I'm 4 years older than Danny Granger, but I know New Orleans H.S./AAU scene very well, and as a basketball fan for 30+ years Danny Granger is one of the few people I've seen play at every level. I googled Tatum comps after the fact to see who he was actually compared to since I know that's a thing that happens every draft season. I wasn't surprised that other people have the same opinion since to me it was obvious. However given the age difference, I don't even think draft comps are fair and as you point out they're usually not accurate. But that's not even what I was doing. I was comparing Granger the NBA player to Tatum the NBA player.

    I threw out a Granger comparison and gave yall something to chew on for a few hours. You should be thanking me.

    95% of the people here love the Celtics deal and waiting to make the deal. I don't. I'm not sure why people continuously post half the stuff they post here, but how interesting is it if every thread is dominated by the 95% of people who are in agreement? The Pelicans decided to put the fanbase through an experience in which everyone is currently losing -fans, players, ownership, coaches, league - so that they could secure an asset the clearly value. If that asset is Tatum (maybe it's Zion), I think it's worth discussing who a comparable NBA talent is. If you think Tatum is the next Kawhi or Kobe, and a trade happens, this is 5 months no one will remember. I think he's Danny Granger. And as several have pointed out that might be just fine!
    I just fail to see why it is such a disaster for the team to wait and get all the offers with all the information available. You almost seem to have taken it personal that they decided to wait. There is still a chance that they do a deal with the Lakers. However, they now have the ability to see what the Celtics, Knicks, Clippers, Nuggets, etc. have to offer. They also have the ability to see how the lottery will play out and make a more informed decision. Is it a risk? Sure. But there was also a risk to taking the Laker deal early. We'll see how it plays out.

  15. #40
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I just fail to see why it is such a disaster for the team to wait and get all the offers with all the information available. You almost seem to have taken it personal that they decided to wait. There is still a chance that they do a deal with the Lakers. However, they now have the ability to see what the Celtics, Knicks, Clippers, Nuggets, etc. have to offer. They also have the ability to see how the lottery will play out and make a more informed decision. Is it a risk? Sure. But there was also a risk to taking the Laker deal early. We'll see how it plays out.
    I think I've said this 1000 times. I wasn't specifically pushing for the Lakers deal, only A Deal. Ideally, a Knicks deal.

    1. A lot of people here minimize the risk
    2. A lot of people here have overvalued the reward

    Not a good combo. I also articulated how this exact scenario of AD paying and the fanbase being exasperated would play out. Hopefully the league, Pelicans, and Davis come to some agreement after the All Star game. This should be valuable development time. We should be seeing exactly the team and rotations we saw in the week before AD came back. Instead, we're losing that opportunity and that has a cost.

    I hope we get the best deal possible. I hope the Pelicans pick lands at #1, the Knicks at #2, and the Kings pick at #3. And I hope Kyrie Irving says explicitly that he will wait to see how AD's situation is resolved before making a decision. I hope the best case scenario possible plays out for the Pelicans and in my mind that has nothing to do with the Lakers. Just so we're clear!

    I think it's possible to hope and wish for all of that, and still think waiting was a bad idea. It's just (objective) probability and (subjective) tea leaf reading on my part.

    We have no choice now but to see how it plays out!

  16. #41
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    20,798
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think I've said this 1000 times. I wasn't specifically pushing for the Lakers deal, only A Deal. Ideally, a Knicks deal.

    1. A lot of people here minimize the risk
    2. A lot of people here have overvalued the reward

    Not a good combo. I also articulated how this exact scenario of AD paying and the fanbase being exasperated would play out. Hopefully the league, Pelicans, and Davis come to some agreement after the All Star game. This should be valuable development time. We should be seeing exactly the team and rotations we saw in the week before AD came back. Instead, we're losing that opportunity and that has a cost.

    I hope we get the best deal possible. I hope the Pelicans pick lands at #1, the Knicks at #2, and the Kings pick at #3. And I hope Kyrie Irving says explicitly that he will wait to see how AD's situation is resolved before making a decision. I hope the best case scenario possible plays out for the Pelicans and in my mind that has nothing to do with the Lakers. Just so we're clear!

    I think it's possible to hope and wish for all of that, and still think waiting was a bad idea. It's just (objective) probability and (subjective) tea leaf reading on my part.

    We have no choice now but to see how it plays out!
    Do you even know if a Knicks deal was offered? We can all say what deal we would want. However, after we turned down Porzingis, who even knows if there was ever even another offer after that?

  17. #42
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do you even know if a Knicks deal was offered? We can all say what deal we would want. However, after we turned down Porzingis, who even knows if there was ever even another offer after that?
    The Knicks offer is all speculation on my part! Happy to acknowledge that.

    Which is why I always end up discussing Not Waiting in terms of the Lakers offer ...because we're only allowed to speculate on this board when it comes to how great the Celtics offer will be!

    But seriously, you're absolutely right. We can speculate, but we don't know that the Knicks were willing to put their pick in unprotected, or include all the Dallas picks. That would make a huge difference. Some of the Knicks centered commentary and podcasts suggested a deal that would be everything we'd expect but with the pick top 1 protected. That would obviously not sway the Pelicans.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •