Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jrue on his future with the Pels {Depends on the return for AD trade)

Jrue on his future with the Pels {Depends on the return for AD trade)

“If the Pelicans eventually trade Davis for a package heavy on rebuilding assets, keep an eye on Holiday. He wants to be in a place where he can compete in the postseason and is waiting to see the Davis return, sources say.”
    https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/07/new...adline-rumors/

Fair enough. I like Jrue, even if he asks out, I won't be mad.

Pretty sure that would be an obvious assumption I mean the team will do him right no matter what

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Yeah that's ok with me.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Honestly I'd rather move him.

I don’t blame him, and a combo guard of his skill set would fetch quite the return.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I don't mind whichever he prefers.

If Jrue wants to leave now that we're re-entering a (hopefully short) rebuild in his prime years, and would prefer to play for a contender and try and get rings, then I would understand that. He's not really making this decision: he re-signed to a team that had a top 5 talent on it and was looking to make real waves in the playoffs, not to a team that's starting almost from scratch.

However, if he would like to stay and get paid while acting as the veteran guiding presence to a bunch of young players and rookies and bring them into the NBA as players in his style, who play hard defense, who give their all, who run around and put in the work, then I'd love that as well, and given that Jrue is (by all accounts) a lovely person and a level head, that would be nice to see passed on to our younger guys too.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't mind whichever he prefers.

If Jrue wants to leave now that we're re-entering a (hopefully short) rebuild in his prime years, and would prefer to play for a contender and try and get rings, then I would understand that. He's not really making this decision: he re-signed to a team that had a top 5 talent on it and was looking to make real waves in the playoffs, not to a team that's starting almost from scratch.

However, if he would like to stay and get paid while acting as the veteran guiding presence to a bunch of young players and rookies and bring them into the NBA as players in his style, who play hard defense, who give their all, who run around and put in the work, then I'd love that as well, and given that Jrue is (by all accounts) a lovely person and a level head, that would be nice to see passed on to our younger guys too.
    that's why if we are going to the rebuild I'd ask him to stay for atleast 1 more year

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If we get the Celtics deal with Tatum and Smart, he stays. If it's any other deal, based on picks, be it the Knicks, Clippers, Lakers wtv, he will ask the leave.

And I have no problem with it tbh. Love Jrue, and he should do whatever is best for him to win a title, if we get into a situation where our focus is on young players and the next couple of drafts.

HERE'S PIERRE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Millán View Post
    If we get the Celtics deal with Tatum and Smart, he stays. If it's any other deal, based on picks, be it the Knicks, Clippers, Lakers wtv, he will ask the leave.

And I have no problem with it tbh. Love Jrue, and he should do whatever is best for him to win a title, if we get into a situation where our focus is on young players and the next couple of drafts.
    I agree. If you can team Jrue up with Smart and Tatum, and Frank and Ja keep trending upward, this team could be headed for a quick rebound. The key is getting that Alpha player.

Can't blame him. Move him to a contender. He's given everything for this club

Let’s not forget that the Pelicans paid Jrue better than market value at the time to re-sign him after coming off 2 injury filled years. He should be a building block of the future if we go the Tatum, Brown, and Smart route.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Let’s not forget that the Pelicans paid Jrue better than market value at the time to re-sign him after coming off 2 injury filled years. He should be a building block of the future if we go the Tatum, Brown, and Smart route.
    How do Smart and Jrue fit together though? He's not starting over Jrue and he takes minutes away from Jackson. Surely you flip him for assets

Unless you have Jackson and Smart as the bench guard division. Guess that could work. I still don't like Jackson as the primary ball handler doe. Maybe Smart is good enough to run the point?

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I like that Jrue is willing to stay. But as an organization I would do what's best for us and for him, trade him. Send him to a contender. We can get some young players and some picks and get off that contract. It's not bad just one thing you'll have to work around in the future.

But if we keep him I won't be upset

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    How do Smart and Jrue fit together though? He's not starting over Jrue and he takes minutes away from Jackson. Surely you flip him for assets

Unless you have Jackson and Smart as the bench guard division. Guess that could work. I still don't like Jackson as the primary ball handler doe. Maybe Smart is good enough to run the point?
    Smart would run the point with Jrue. He is only 24, is on a controlled contract for several years and is a very good defender.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Smart would run the point with Jrue. He is only 24, is on a controlled contract for several years and is a very good defender.
    Smart has also been a pretty solid three point shooter this year. He's been historically bad, so I don't want to assume that he's fixed his problems based on one year, but he's shooting 37% on a little over 4 attempts per game, which isn't bad, and 90.7% of his threes have been assisted, so he's capable of spotting up and playing off-ball.

Man, how is Marcus Smart only 24? It seems like he has been in the NBA a for like 9 years.

With Smart and Jrue on the court at the same time you would have one of the top defensive guard duos in the NBA.

I think a worry I would have with Smart is health. He's in his 5th season, and I don't think he's ever played more than 75 games in a year (correct me if I'm wrong). I think he's even played under 60 games three times (I think, could be 2, not checking this right now).

Is he a guy you'd want as a core building piece of a trade? Cause if we go the Boston route, we're probably getting Smart added on to either Tatum or Brown, and while we can trust Tatum to play, and Brown probably too, it seems odd to me that the secondary piece of that trade has a solid chance of spending 20% of every season benched.

We made AD the centerpiece to this franchise, and he only played more than 68 games in a season twice. So your concern about a small piece like Smart only playing 82% of the season shouldn’t be be a concern at all when the centerpiece of the entire deal was only playing 82% any way.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    We made AD the centerpiece to this franchise, and he only played more than 68 games in a season twice. So your concern about a small piece like Smart only playing 82% of the season shouldn’t be be a concern at all when the centerpiece of the entire deal was only playing 82% any way.
    The way I see it is that if we're trading for established players like Tatum and Smart, rather than picks and potential like a NY trade would be, then we're already missing out to an extent. Tatum might one day be great, and is already good, but the odds that he'll ever be AD levels of great are extremely slim. That's why you have to fill out the deal with extra pieces like Smart anyway.

If you trade AD for Tatum and Smart, you're essentially trading AD for something like 75% of his value. That's pretty good because you always lose value when trading a mega-star, and you can't expect an even return: that just doesn't happen.

But if, due to injury, you only get 75% (of actual games played) of the 75% (of talent lost) you traded for, you're then only getting something like 56% of the value. That's starting to get into robbery territory.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The way I see it is that if we're trading for established players like Tatum and Smart, rather than picks and potential like a NY trade would be, then we're already missing out to an extent. Tatum might one day be great, and is already good, but the odds that he'll ever be AD levels of great are extremely slim. That's why you have to fill out the deal with extra pieces like Smart anyway.

If you trade AD for Tatum and Smart, you're essentially trading AD for something like 75% of his value. That's pretty good because you always lose value when trading a mega-star, and you can't expect an even return: that just doesn't happen.

But if, due to injury, you only get 75% (of actual games played) of the 75% (of talent lost) you traded for, you're then only getting something like 56% of the value. That's starting to get into robbery territory.
    If I can get Tatum, Brown & Smart + Memphis Pick & Sac pick, I can see Pels using the Memphis pick, Pels pick & Sac Pick to move up from 8-11ish to 3-5ish if they have a target in mind. I want Boston's 2021 pick just in case AD does NOT stay.

Wake me up in the offseason...

Is there any possible scenario to end up with the 1 and 3 and 5 pick? I would like that. Zion and whichever of the others are left. Don't really care about the players moved from any other team, I just want a deep rookie core. Build a Klay, Curry, Green type group that come up together.

I really like Knox and DSJ. Also really like Tatum. Lakers suck. Just feels like shooting for the odds of getting 3 top 5 players is the best chance to luck out with an AD caliber player. Get really lucky and have 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

Is there any possible scenario to end up with the 1 and 3 and 5 pick? I would like that. Zion and whichever of the others are left. Don't really care about the players moved from any other team, I just want a deep rookie core. Build a Klay, Curry, Green type group that come up together.

I really like Knox and DSJ. Also really like Tatum. Lakers suck. Just feels like shooting for the odds of getting 3 top 5 players is the best chance to luck out with an AD caliber player. Get really lucky and have 2.
    Possibly, but Jrue would have to be sent packing!

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post

Keep in mind that 3 team trades can be very useful. We still may get what we want dealing with the Lakers, but not getting their players.

We were very good to him when his wife was having health issues. He remembers that I assume and is honoring that treatment.

Thread Information