Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Somebody wake me up...

Starter

Somebody wake me up...

I can't believe the narrative expressed by Magic Johnson now. We didn't want to trade AD now. Period. It's our choice.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25967528

lol, I just love how if we say anything were the bad guys oh but good ol magic can say what he wants

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

O no, we were supposed to cave to whatever Lebron and the Lakers wanted. How dare we put up a fight. They can dismantle and tamper with teams, because it’s their right as the Lakers. ******** them all.... I hope Lebron wastes the rest of his career in LA and never sniffs another championship.

Never trust a man with more teeth in his smile than hairs on his head.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    lol, I just love how if we say anything were the bad guys oh but good ol magic can say what he wants

Magic is a Phony. That grin was always Fake.

The day AD requested a trade, Gayle let the world know that a trade would only get done on the Pelicans’ terms and timeline. Magic & Co. know the Pels aren’t trading them AD this summer, otherwise why accuse our front office of negotiating in bad faith when they’re going to be calling us back in June? Magic blew his opportunity and failed to appease Lebron, so now he’s trying to save face.

I mean.....he's not wrong. I do think the plan was to let the Lakers players know who was on the block and I think we knew all along they didn't have the ammo to entice us to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I mean.....he's not wrong. I do think the plan was to let the Lakers players know who was on the block and I think we knew all along they didn't have the ammo to entice us to pull the trigger.
    I don't think you can complain that a franchise isn't negotiating with you in good faith, when you're the one (or at least, 'The Lakers' as representative of Lebron James) who forced them into negotiations in the first place.

Lebron James and Rich Paul manufactured this entire scenario and turned it into the media circus it became. I have no doubt that Magic was at least aware of this. They also didn't have the best possible offer, and as Woj and Shelburne said, if LA wanted a deal done early, as in before the deadline, they would have to overpay: this makes sense. Given both of those two factors, walking into negotiations and expecting to be waited on hand and foot is always going to look like being treated badly. It's not. It's being treated with the same sense of disrespect that you had when you started this entire thing.

He wants Simmons now too?

https://deadspin.com/magic-johnson-w...ing-1832511168

Does this guy get a free pass to say this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Never trust a man with more teeth in his smile than hairs on his head.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    The day AD requested a trade, Gayle let the world know that a trade would only get done on the Pelicans’ terms and timeline. Magic & Co. know the Pels aren’t trading them AD this summer, otherwise why accuse our front office of negotiating in bad faith when they’re going to be calling us back in June? Magic blew his opportunity and failed to appease Lebron, so now he’s trying to save face.
    I don’t think Gayle had anything to do with it to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Oh I believe that's not true at all. This is a woman that hand writes notes to personal and players. She might not have given the exact details of how to handle things but she knew exactly what was going on and gave approval of everything.

You simply don't get to make a move with a franchise player without all the higher ups involved.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    They are the only ones who let it be publicly known who was available in the trade offers. That's their fault. We don't have to trade him now. Don't they understand that? We are not going to trade him just for the sake of doing it. We want to know what is exactly on the table. I never understood why they didn't try to improve the offers by getting other teams involved. They were stuck on their bum players, arrogantly thinking that would be enough. Jokes on y'all fools

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    They are the only ones who let it be publicly known who was available in the trade offers. That's their fault. We don't have to trade him now. Don't they understand that? We are not going to trade him just for the sake of doing it. We want to know what is exactly on the table. I never understood why they didn't try to improve the offers by getting other teams involved. They were stuck on their bum players, arrogantly thinking that would be enough. Jokes on y'all fools
    The Lakers are in this weird position with their players, where they think their players are good enough that we are stupid for not trading AD for them, but simultaneously want to trade them for AD.

If their young core is better than AD, and we'd be lucky to have them, why not just keep them?
    If their young core isn't better than AD, and are a downgrade, why wouldn't we wait until Summer to evaluate all offers?

Perhaps, but that wasn’t the point I was making. I was speaking towards Magic’s contention that we acted in bad faith and Gayle’s statement, regardless of her role in negotiations, kills that argument. She let the league know in advance that a deal would get done on the Pelicans terms and timeline. Well, everyone knew the terms and timeline that made the most sense for the Pelicans was to wait to trade AD. She was letting the league know in advance of trade talks that we were in no rush to do this. So, Magic and Co. were well aware that the Pels were unmotivated to make a rushed deal for Davis before the deadline and all that “bad faith” talk is Magic trying to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    He wants Simmons now too?

https://deadspin.com/magic-johnson-w...ing-1832511168

Does this guy get a free pass to say this stuff?
    So we're not negotiating in good faith, but Leron can tamper with AD, and Magic can openly tamper for Ben? What did I miss?
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 02-11-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Perhaps, but that wasn’t the point I was making. I was speaking towards Magic’s contention that we acted in bad faith and Gayle’s statement, regardless of her role in negotiations, kills that argument. She let the league know in advance that a deal would get done on the Pelicans terms and timeline. Well, everyone knew the terms and timeline that made the most sense for the Pelicans was to wait to trade AD. She was letting the league know in advance of trade talks that we were in no rush to do this. So, Magic and Co. were well aware that the Pels were unmotivated to make a rushed deal for Davis before the deadline and all that “bad faith” talk is Magic trying to save face.
    I agree that Gayle likely signs off on everything, but I don’t see her as some staunch negotiator who took the reigns of this situation. My guess the appropriate cold shoulder was administered by Demps and Loomis.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    So we're not negotiating in good faith, but Leron can tamper with AD, and Magic can openly tamper for Ben? What did I miss?
    We've learned small markets aren't allowed to stand up for their selves against big markets and they do they'll be threatened

I agree that Gayle likely signs off on everything, but I don’t see her as some staunch negotiator who took the reigns of this situation. My guess the appropriate cold shoulder was administered by Demps and Loomis.
    Totally agree. Just wanted to point out that a public statement was put out by her letting other teams know we were in no hurry to deal.

So, when you add it all together, we put out a public statement that we were in no rush to do a deal, next it's reported that we weren't even answering the Lakers' phone calls, then it's reported that the Pels and Lakers spoke and the Lakers were waiting on a counteroffer that never came, and, finally, Magic lets it be known that the Lakers are stepping away because they're essentially negotiating with themselves. Don't know what more we could have done to let the Lakers know we were disinterested in making a trade by the deadline. Either Magic is lying through his teeth to save face or he doesn't understand what it means to negotiate in bad faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think you can complain......

I think that's where this thread misses. He wasn't complaining. The reporter asked him a very pointed and specific question and he gave a very short answer. It wasn't complaining. It was a statement answering a question. And it was true.

I think that's where this thread misses. He wasn't complaining. The reporter asked him a very pointed and specific question and he gave a very short answer. It wasn't complaining. It was a statement answering a question. And it was true.
    Maybe, but it's one of those things where simply stating a true answer serves to cover up something. He gave a short, simple answer, because it was the only answer he could give without confronting the fact that it's his own fault that he's in such a position because he engaged in bad faith from the start.

Anyone who has seen Magic interviewed on TV, or radio, or even in print, knows that he likes to talk. He loves the sound of his own voice. If he's giving short, pointed answers, it's because he feels hard-done by, and mistreated, and doesn't want to address it. If he thought the situation was fair, you'd have a 10 sentence answer.

Totally agree with that.

I also LOVE the fact that we didn't negotiate in good faith. That's a badge of honor.

How is it true? I whole-heartedly disagree. The Pelicans were crystal clear in what it would take to get them to make a deal prior to the deadline. It is not negotiating in bad faith just because the other team did not get the deal they offered.

Only the Lakers assumed it was even a negotiation. When we finally did answer the phone we told them exactly what we wanted and then hung up. It was up to the Lakers to either give us what we wanted or not.

We weren't forced to trade AD and didn't want to to begin with. We were under no obligation to engage in negotiations that we wanted no part of. We did them a favor even answering the phone and giving them a price for AD.

It was Magic's own fault for trying to engage in negotiations after we were very clear on what we wanted.

Thread Information