Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The damage has already been done.

The damage has already been done.

I watched the game last night and all of the post-game commentary. I watched Jeff Van Gundy ask Mrs. Benson to make a stand up for small market teams by not playing AD and pay the fine. I read on this board posts by concerned fans that AD will get hurt (totally justified I might add). I saw the post game debate over whether AD is a victim or a villain. The only consensus anyone ever reaches is that AD will never win a championship in New Orleans.

As a die hard Pels fan, this season has truly been disheartening. It has shown me how the League and the country perceives this franchise. In this new age of "recruiting" in pro sports, how you are perceived is reality. if you are perceived as a joke, you will not be able to retain great or even very good players. At the moment, there is nothing we can do about this perception. Money can't even fix it. The more money we throw at it, the deeper the hole gets when we overpay and a guy really doesn't want to be here, gets injured, or just doesn't pan out.

Our superstar demanding a trade, the booing, the empty seats, AD playing 3 quarters and then sitting in the 4th of a tight game, questions about ownership and management, re-edited hype videos... everyone is talking about everything but the game. This is not a good look. The damage has been done. This will not be an easy or quick fix.

Having time to think, I have changed my mind about a few things. Trading with the Celtics for Jason Taytum will not fix this. As corny as it sounds, this franchise needs a savior. I am not 100 per cent sold on Zion but maybe he is the next LeBron. If so, he is the obvious target. We need to wait to see who has the number one pick and make the deal. I know it's a gamble, but at this point, we have nothing else to lose. And this is coming from a guy who won't even buy a scratch off.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    I watched the game last night and all of the post-game commentary. I watched Jeff Van Gundy ask Mrs. Benson to make a stand up for small market teams by not playing AD and pay the fine. I read on this board posts by concerned fans that AD will get hurt (totally justified I might add). I saw the post game debate over whether AD is a victim or a villain. The only consensus anyone ever reaches is that AD will never win a championship in New Orleans.

As a die hard Pels fan, this season has truly been disheartening. It has shown me how the League and the country perceives this franchise. In this new age of "recruiting" in pro sports, how you are perceived is reality. if you are perceived as a joke, you will not be able to retain great or even very good players. At the moment, there is nothing we can do about this perception. Money can't even fix it. The more money we throw at it, the deeper the hole gets when we overpay and a guy really doesn't want to be here, gets injured, or just doesn't pan out.

Our superstar demanding a trade, the booing, the empty seats, AD playing 3 quarters and then sitting in the 4th of a tight game, questions about ownership and management, re-edited hype videos... everyone is talking about everything but the game. This is not a good look. The damage has been done. This will not be an easy or quick fix.

Having time to think, I have changed my mind about a few things. Trading with the Celtics for Jason Taytum will not fix this. As corny as it sounds, this franchise needs a savior. I am not 100 per cent sold on Zion but maybe he is the next LeBron. If so, he is the obvious target. We need to wait to see who has the number one pick and make the deal. I know it's a gamble, but at this point, we have nothing else to lose. And this is coming from a guy who won't even buy a scratch off.
    There's only the Knicks that will win the lottery and trade the pick and that's only if they can secure another top FA to go with Davis.

I do agree that the fix will happen slowly and by drafting well. We had the chance after drafting Davis but we threw it away as an organization trying to win sooner than what was sustainably possible. We shouldn't make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    There's only the Knicks that will win the lottery and trade the pick and that's only if they can secure another top FA to go with Davis.

I do agree that the fix will happen slowly and by drafting well. We had the chance after drafting Davis but we threw it away as an organization trying to win sooner than what was sustainably possible. We shouldn't make that mistake again.
    I agree. I hear people saying that Dell has learned from his mistakes and will not do that again. Maybe, but does he think he has the time to go the slow route? He has been around for a long time and hasn't produced. My gut tells me that he starts swinging for home runs again to try to save his skin and we stay in mediocrity for another ten years. Sorry, but the guy just isn't that good.

Basketball Guru
    if the knicks do land the number one pick and we trade AD to them,,,i do believe we will build a young team around jrue and then trade jrue for more young players..see which two pan out and sign them to their next contract and that way we will have our 3 main pieces lock in to build around and see what our future look like on the court....

I really think we need a clean slate by firing Demps and Gentry after the season. This organization has been presented as one of the worst in the NBA. We need to save face with a clean slate and build around Jrue and the young talent we get for AD. The AD trade will be the most important transaction that this organization has made since drafting AD. Benson and Loomis can’t afford to ******** this up if the Pelicans want to remain a viable franchise.

What's even crazier about all of this is that with the exception of Sacramento and the Lakers, everyone in front of us for the 8th spot is tanking. In retrospect, if none of this happens, there is a good chance we make the playoffs.

Hiring Becky Hammon changes the narrative for sure....and I know many will poo poo that idea but hiring Jeff Van Gundy (while impressive last night) or the like does nothing to move the fan interest meter. Staying on script with what NBA team should do has gotten us to this point. We are starting to lose the battle - thanks in large part to the media/AD/Lebron/ClutchSports driven narrative. Let's not lose the war.

We have to be crazy bold with our next moves.

Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I wouldn't even mind that. She's 6x WNBA all-star, 4x all WNBA. Sure the WNBA competition isn't the same as the NBA competition, but that's still nothing to just hand-wave away.

Add that to her 5 years as an assistant coach for the Spurs (the same team system that coaches like Mike Budenholzer came out of), coached a Summer League championship team, I have a degree of faith in her both from understanding the player's mindset, but also as someone with experience working in a coaching scenario at the highest level with Pop.

It would be a radical change, and would shake up the narrative about the team. Mrs Benson as owner and Hammon as coach would be interesting and would definitely show a dedication for the team to do something a little different. And Hammon is definitely qualified.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Hiring Becky Hammon changes the narrative for sure....and I know many will poo poo that idea but hiring Jeff Van Gundy (while impressive last night) or the like does nothing to move the fan interest meter. Staying on script with what NBA team should do has gotten us to this point. We are starting to lose the battle - thanks in large part to the media/AD/Lebron/ClutchSports driven narrative. Let's not lose the war.

We have to be crazy bold with our next moves.

I like her and think she's going to be good but is she ready now?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    I like her and think she's going to be good but is she ready now?

5 years with Pop and a summer league championship isn't nothing. She's still a little green I guess, but Jason Kidd had 0 years of coaching experience before he took over as head coach for the Nets, and I've seen a few people suggest him as a replacement for Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    5 years with Pop and a summer league championship isn't nothing. She's still a little green I guess, but Jason Kidd had 0 years of coaching experience before he took over as head coach for the Nets, and I've seen a few people suggest him as a replacement for Gentry.
    God no lol no idea why people want that dude lol but yeah if anything I hope we atleast interview her if gentry is gone

God no lol no idea why people want that dude lol but yeah if anything I hope we atleast interview her if gentry is gone

Yeah, you've gotta at least give her a call. I think it could be a good move. Full clean house of the front office and coaching staff, and starting off with someone new, unique, and promising like Hammon could be a great move for the franchise. There's always a chance that it wouldn't pay off, but I think it's a safe enough bet to at least give her a try.

Yeah, you've gotta at least give her a call. I think it could be a good move. Full clean house of the front office and coaching staff, and starting off with someone new, unique, and promising like Hammon could be a great move for the franchise. There's always a chance that it wouldn't pay off, but I think it's a safe enough bet to at least give her a try.
    idk about full clean coaching staff I like what's his face who works with the bigs he stayed on even after monty.

idk about full clean coaching staff I like what's his face who works with the bigs he stayed on even after monty.

Oh right sure, I don't really mean fire everyone. I meant new head coach, new defensive co-ordinator, new GM. I can handle keeping some of the other guys on, but Gentry, Erman, and Dell can all go.

Oh right sure, I don't really mean fire everyone. I meant new head coach, new defensive co-ordinator, new GM. I can handle keeping some of the other guys on, but Gentry, Erman, and Dell can all go.
    Oh yeah definitely lol I think dell is definitely gone and idk I think gentry is here one more year atleast and hopefully becky isn't snatched before next year

Oh yeah definitely lol I think dell is definitely gone and idk I think gentry is here one more year atleast and hopefully becky isn't snatched before next year

Frankly speaking, and it's no slight on Gentry because we've all seen that his system can work when there's a full team equipped to run it with confidence, but I don't want him near the rebuild.

If we get Zion, I don't want Gentry's run-and-shoot system pushed into him. I don't want him being taught that defense is optional as long as you gun threes. I want a new head coach, who knows how to actually run an offense and who places value on defense. I think Hammon could be that coach, especially with her experience training in Summer League.

Hiring JVG would be like the Raiders hiring Gruden. The game has changed since he last coached and likely will be out of touch.

Frankly speaking, and it's no slight on Gentry because we've all seen that his system can work when there's a full team equipped to run it with confidence, but I don't want him near the rebuild.

If we get Zion, I don't want Gentry's run-and-shoot system pushed into him. I don't want him being taught that defense is optional as long as you gun threes. I want a new head coach, who knows how to actually run an offense and who places value on defense. I think Hammon could be that coach, especially with her experience training in Summer League.
    I completely agree I just think they'll want one more year of bad basketball and having gentry would help with that so well see but I definitely see dell gone so that should be atleast half way good thing going forward lol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

So, what happens when we beat Memphis & Orlando & are 2-3 games out of 8th by All-Star break? Just sayin!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'd prefer to keep Dell. I'd like for ownership to tell Dell he has freedom to build slowly without an order for quick fixes. I'm fine with rolling the dice with Hammon to replace Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, what happens when we beat Memphis & Orlando & are 2-3 games out of 8th by All-Star break? Just sayin!
    most of our players come down with a cold? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I cry a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'd prefer to keep Dell. I'd like for ownership to tell Dell he has freedom to build slowly without an order for quick fixes. I'm fine with rolling the dice with Hammon to replace Gentry.
    I've said elsewhere that I'm not entirely sure what to think about Dell. I wouldn't mind keeping him TOO much, because he has made some good moves for the last couple of seasons. He hasn't shown himself to be completely useless in all respects, and he does appear to have improved over time. As long as he commits to rebuilding properly, keeping our draft picks, and not trying to rush, I don't think keeping him would be the end of the world.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I cry a little bit.
    Don't worry! MVP will never quit you!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

And we shouldnt make the mistake of thinking you can build a championship franchise just through the draft. AD would still be demanding a trade today becuase this franchise wouldn't be any better off. Dell conceivably brought over equal or better players than any draft capital would have and it did not work out for a number of reasons.

I mean look at your golden child 76ers now? Theyve just done what the Pelicans have been doing x1,000. Theyve just shuffled off draft picks, at their lowest value, for players due for max contracts THIS SUMMER. There's your "process" for you.

It takes a team that can balance good drafts, good trades, and signing good FAs with upside. The last part is where this franchise and many other smaller markets cannot compete. It doesn't matter how well run or winning this fracnhise is, the best FAs in this ESPN/super agent influenced league will always run to the top 6 markets. And it doesn't matter how well run or winning THEY are.

Which is why again, if you are a Pelicans fan, you are doing nothing but chasing your own tail. It's a humongous waste of time. The Pelicans are a farm team at best.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-09-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Thread Information