Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What trade packages, not just for AD, do you want? What’s realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    They don't really have cap space to pursue anyone significant just because Kyrie leaves. This is a team that did well without Kyrie. If he leaves, they won't exactly be in rebuild mode. Instead of AD for 1 year, they'll still have all their valuable draft assets, Horford, Smart, Rozier, Brown, Gordon, and Tatum. To get AD they'd have to give up a lot of that, including Tatum. Anything is possible, sure. But why would they do that? What 2nd star are they recruiting to Boston to play with AD for one year? I just don't see Ainge doing that.
    Yes, if Irving leaves and Horford opts out (or they trade Hayward to us), they would have another max slot.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yes, if Irving leaves and Horford opts out (or they trade Hayward to us), they would have another max slot.
    True, but in fairness I can't see Horford opting out, and I don't want Hayward.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    True, but in fairness I can't see Horford opting out, and I don't want Hayward.
    If Horford is told that he will be included in a deal to the Pelicans for AD, he will opt out.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If Horford is told that he will be included in a deal to the Pelicans for AD, he will opt out.
    Lol. I get reamed for saying something might/could/possibly happen...

But you have certainty Horford won’t want to play with Jrue for $30m?? That’s funny.

I mean, it’s possible he would opt out, but who is paying 33 year old Al Horford anywhere close to $30m next season?! I come up with all sorts of scenarios, but I’ve never even imagined a scenario where Horford opts out. That would be shocking.

Lol. I get reamed for saying something might/could/possibly happen...

But you have certainty Horford won’t want to play with Jrue for $30m?? That’s funny.

I mean, it’s possible he would opt out, but who is paying 33 year old Al Horford anywhere close to $30m next season?! I come up with all sorts of scenarios, but I’ve never even imagined a scenario where Horford opts out. That would be shocking.
    I think I read somewhere that Horford does not want to be traded and would opt out if traded to a rebuilding team (was not specific to Pelicans if I recall but came up with the AD questions). Either way, opt out or be traded to Pelicans, he would come off of their cap. Also, it is not necessarily the $30 million for next year, but the total guaranteed money that would matter to him. If a team missed out on other FAs next year and were willing to pay him 3 years/$57-$60 million, he would probably take the extra $27-$30 million guaranteed total even though it is much less than $30 million/year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    ***sigh***

For the 100th time...

Just like AD, and countless players before him, was able to make his intentions known before he had any ability to act on them ...Kyrie Irving can indicate to the Celtics his intentions to not resign whenever he feels like it. He could do it tomorrow if their losing streak continues, or he could do it as soon as they lose their last playoff game.

Just like you and others acknowledge we can agree in principle to a deal with the Celtics before we can legally execute it, Kyrie can say he’s leaving the Celtics (or an AD trade will have NO impact on his decision) before he is legally able to switch teams.

Now if you believe the Celtics will trade the Pelicans their best assets with no guarantee that doing so will keep Kyrie in the fold (Kyrie being the dude who’s presence might convince AD to sign long term), then I guess I can see how what I’ve been saying doesn’t make much sense.

But I don’t believe Celtics commit to anything unless they know getting AD = Kyrie staying. You don’t trade Tatum, Smart, and multiple picks to end up losing Kyrie this summer and AD next summer. That doesn’t seem like something Ainge would do.

If you’re betting the Pelicans future on an All In offer from Boston, you’re most likely subjecting yourself to the decision making of Kyrie Irving. No reason to be in denial like some folks about that. It is what it is at this point.
    And don't you dare lump me in with whatever arguments you've been having with other people. I am not them.

I simply can't find any logical reason why getting AD would not = Kyrie staying. It's a significant power move that I'd wager Ainge is betting on being enough to convince not only Kyrie to stick it out, but to draw in someone else.

I think I read somewhere that Horford does not want to be traded and would opt out if traded to a rebuilding team (was not specific to Pelicans if I recall but came up with the AD questions). Either way, opt out or be traded to Pelicans, he would come off of their cap. Also, it is not necessarily the $30 million for next year, but the total guaranteed money that would matter to him. If a team missed out on other FAs next year and were willing to pay him 3 years/$57-$60 million, he would probably take the extra $27-$30 million guaranteed total even though it is much less than $30 million/year.
    I'm not sure the Celtics can execute a trade for AD before Horford's option date. A Celtics trade can't happen until Irving becomes a free agent, which I believe is in July. Horford has to exercise his option by June 27.

If he thinks he's part of a trade, he could opt out. But that would be really silly. He'd have to know a team better than the Pelicans would end up with space after all the better/younger players signed their huge deals. I don't see a contender giving a 34 year old Al Horford a deal that pays him $20m when he's 37. The Nets and Clippers are really the only two teams that might get left with cap space and also be a better situation than just getting traded to the Pelicans. Those are both teams with smart GMs. I don't see them tying themselves to Horford on big money at the end of his career. Maybe he thinks going back to the Hawks is a better situation than the possibility he's traded to the Pelicans. I guess that's possible. But I guess I just don't see him opting out of $30m because he's afraid of even just the possibility he could be included in a trade. I get the total money and not just next year being important, but why would Al Horford think that any deal available to him this summer wouldn't be available to him next summer when the cap goes up?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    And don't you dare lump me in with whatever arguments you've been having with other people. I am not them.

I simply can't find any logical reason why getting AD would not = Kyrie staying. It's a significant power move that I'd wager Ainge is betting on being enough to convince not only Kyrie to stick it out, but to draw in someone else.
    I'm only lumping you in because you're making the same argument as other people. Everybody's font looks the same. You might as well be them.

The Celtics don't have cap space to draw in someone else.

If Durant goes to Knicks, aren't they likely viewing that as a significant power move that is enough to draw in Kyrie? Kyrie never asked to be traded to Boston. He asked to be traded to Knicks.

Where I think you and everyone else is pretty spot on though, is that Ainge will trade whatever he thinks it will take to get AD, if he knows for sure Kyrie will resign with Celtics. I'll give yall that much. I just don't think he does it hoping Kyrie agrees to resign.

I'm not sure the Celtics can execute a trade for AD before Horford's option date. A Celtics trade can't happen until Irving becomes a free agent, which I believe is in July. Horford has to exercise his option by June 27.

If he thinks he's part of a trade, he could opt out. But that would be really silly. He'd have to know a team better than the Pelicans would end up with space after all the better/younger players signed their huge deals. I don't see a contender giving a 34 year old Al Horford a deal that pays him $20m when he's 37. The Nets and Clippers are really the only two teams that might get left with cap space and also be a better situation than just getting traded to the Pelicans. Those are both teams with smart GMs. I don't see them tying themselves to Horford on big money at the end of his career. Maybe he thinks going back to the Hawks is a better situation than the possibility he's traded to the Pelicans. I guess that's possible. But I guess I just don't see him opting out of $30m because he's afraid of even just the possibility he could be included in a trade. I get the total money and not just next year being important, but why would Al Horford think that any deal available to him this summer wouldn't be available to him next summer when the cap goes up?
    You are very confident that Kyrie will opt out yet do not think any other team will pay Horford $20 million a year? The only way to know how this shakes out is get to the summer and see.

You are very confident that Kyrie will opt out yet do not think any other team will pay Horford $20 million a year? The only way to know how this shakes out is get to the summer and see.
    Does anyone think Kyrie won't opt out?????????????? The Celtics can't trade for Davis unless Kyrie opts out. C'mon man....

Does anyone think Kyrie won't opt out?????????????? The Celtics can't trade for Davis unless Kyrie opts out. C'mon man....
    You know what I mean, that he will not come back. Sorry for a bad choice of words. I had "opt out" on the mind with Horford.

You know what I mean, that he will not come back. Sorry for a bad choice of words. I had "opt out" on the mind with Horford.
    Got it. I'm only confident he's leaving based on interviews and comments from Boston media, fans, and Kyrie himself.

He could very well stay in Boston. Kyrie is very mercurial!

The point I keep going back to is that what Boston is willing to offer will change dramatically based on the domino of what Kyrie Irving decides to do and when he decides to do it. And Boston has been the primary leverage point and market setter for an AD trade based on their known interest. If that changes, I have no idea what will happen to the AD trade value, but my instinct is that it aint going to be good.

I know some people think Boston would still trade for AD, without Kyrie, but I just don't see why they would do that when they'd have a young team with a lot draft capital to continue to build around. AD isn't going to make a long term commitment to the team his friend just left, and Boston isn't going to trade the farm hoping they can convince AD to stay.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Kyrie freaking Irving will determine how good Pelicans offers are. That's a crazy position to be in.

4 Way Deal of the Day

Celtics
    Davis
    Biyombo
    MKG

Hornets
    Horford

Wizards
    Smart
    Hill
    Kings Pick (projected to be 14th)
    Future Memphis pick

Pels
    Tatum
    Beal
    Hornets Pick (projected to be 12th)

Pels roll out 2019/20 with:

Jrue/Frank
    Beal/Moore
    Tatum/Kenrich
    Randle/Brandon Clarke (picked at 12 with Hornets pick)
    Okafor/Jaxon Hayes (picked at 9 with Pels pick)

If we get the #9 and #12 and pick bigs both times, and DONT pick Bol Bol, I will be livid.

If we get the #9 and #12 and pick bigs both times, and DONT pick Bol Bol, I will be livid.
    Only way I want Bol Bol is if we do a trade with Lakers. I already trademarked "Slim Towers".

4 Way Deal of the Day

Celtics
    Davis
    Biyombo
    MKG

Hornets
    Horford

Wizards
    Smart
    Hill
    Future Memphis pick

Pels
    Tatum
    Beal

Jrue/Frank
    Beal/Moore
    Tatum/Kenrich
    Count me in.

I would do that deal.

Figure we get our own pick that's top 10 and another pick that's ~12 so then it'd be AD traded for Beal, Tatum, and a lottery pick.

If we could get Okpala and Bol Bol with those picks I think we'd have a heck of a team and building blocks.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.

4 Way Deal of the Day

Celtics
    Davis
    Biyombo
    MKG

Hornets
    Horford

Wizards
    Smart
    Hill
    Future Memphis pick

Pels
    Tatum
    Beal

Jrue/Frank
    Beal/Moore
    Tatum/Kenrich
    Come again.
    Why would WAS trade their cornerstone in Beal for 14th pick and a future pick? Smart and Wall backcourt wouldn't work.

I'd love it if it happened though.

Mitchell Robinson up to 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks in 11 minutes.

Bets we're gonna see another 15/10/5 game from him if he gets 30 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Come again.
    Why would WAS trade their cornerstone in Beal for 14th pick and a future pick? Smart and Wall backcourt wouldn't work.

True. That Hornets pick would probably have to go to Washington as well. Three lottery picks and Smart still might not be enough.

John Wall is done though. He's going to come back looking like Fat Baron Davis. He's never been a shooter, and his explosion was already getting away from him.

Mitchell Robinson up to 6 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks in 11 minutes.

Bets we're gonna see another 15/10/5 game from him if he gets 30 minutes?
    I'll always wonder what the Knicks offer was, if anything, before the deadline.

Is Tatum going to show up in this Rockets game....

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Come again.

I'm not saying Washington would for sure do it they could probably get better for Beal. But the idea is that Beal only has 2 years left (at time of trade) and it would get them a starting level PG (wall still out another year) while that Memphis pick is going to be valuable since it's unprotected in 2021. They could also flip Smart after Wall comes back for another pick.

So then you're looking at 3 1st round picks with one being an unprotected Memphis pick in what is going to be a stacked draft, the 2nd being a lottery pick, and then another mid/late 1st. Is that enough to get Beal?

I'll always wonder what the Knicks offer was, if anything, before the deadline.
    Would be interesting to know if they made another offer after we refused the Kristaps offer.

Robinson finished with 16 points, 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 23 minutes.

I really, really like him. One of my favourite players to watch at the moment, actually.

Thread Information