Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pels threaten with lost of draft pick and fines

Draft Pick
    We don't want to play him. We are being told to play him. The league is trying to injure him if anything. The organizations feelings on his possible injuring doesn't matter to the league. I honestly don't see the difference in him sitting out a 12 minute quarter as opposed to him sitting out 12 spaced out minutes throughout 4. We don't wanna play him. We don't want him hurt. But as the league has "told" us......that doesnt matter. He's gonna play 36 minutes regardless......whether we like it or not. We don't want him to get hurt......but we have no power over it.........so screw it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    4 1st round picks and 3 recent 1st round picks that have potential - two of which were #2 picks overall, is not a trash offer. You can have your own evaluation of the players, but what would essentially be 7 1st round picks is not a trash offer. Even Fultz, who has been injured (physically/mentally) and not played, was able to recover a 1st, a 2nd, and an expiring. So yes, worst case scenario is the Pels could flip Kuz, Ball, and Ingram for 3 1st round picks. We crapped all over the offer, but it wasn't terrible/laughable.

Keeping AD also hurts our ability to tank. So the difference between the chance to bottom out to 6th best odds vs chance we'll improve with AD to 12th best odds is significant. It's 27% less likely to land in top 4 and 7.5% less likely to land at #1 overall. Moving up in the draft 5 or less spots, has costs teams at least an additional #1 pick over the last 5 years.

So that's 7 picks we could have had, plus the loss of draft position equivalent to another pick. Say what you want, but it's hardly wussified to say maybe we should have taken it or a Knicks offer, if for no other reason than to have a bettter shot with our pick of Zion, Ja, or RJ.
    Shoot, I thought I hit "Ignore" . Darn it.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is trolling. If 85% of the folks here believe the same thing, why can't the 15% of us who are right post responses in disagreement without being called trolls?! Would you prefer this thing just be an echo chamber?
    Oh hey, you're back again?

I'm calling them a troll because their argument about Davis having the leverage now is an argument which has been addressed about 400 times since Davis requested the trade, in about a dozen different ways by a dozen different people. The argument has been completely covered, and rebuttled time and time again. If you want to argue from that perspective again, you have to actually defend it rather than just assuming it as a axiomatic statement, because it's not: it's a point of view which has been exploded repeatedly.

If you frame your point around a completely defunct position, then either you don't realise the position is defunct (in which case why would we take you seriously, because you're ignoring the responses you get), or you assume the defunct position is actually true. If you assume it's true, you have to defend it, otherwise you just sound like you're being contrarian for the sake of it. If you're ignoring the entire discussion, or assuming a contrarian position for the sake of it, I'm going to assume you're a troll.
    Basketball.

The evaluation of the Lakers' offer depends almost entirely on how you view their young talent. One the one hand, they've been pretty mediocre as a team without LeBron out there and their PERs are garbage. On the other hand they obviously showed promise not very long ago and it's often hard to distinguish if a young player is just a bust or if they need more time to develop and would benefit from a different environment, see, e.g., D'angelo Russell.

I wouldn't characterize the Lakers' offer as "trash." I would have preferred if they could have, for example, flipped Ball for a player and a first from another team, but that didn't happen. But overall, I thought the Pels were right not to be strong-armed into taking the Lakers' offer at the deadline. However, I'm on record as favoring a Knicks offer at the deadline--even with the value of their '19 first rounder unknown--if it included 3 young prospects (say, Knox, DSJ, Robinson) and 3 first rounders. Don't know for sure if that was on the table, but I'd bet it could have been done at that price. Willing to assume risk of the pick dropping to 5 in order to lock down trade early while retaining a better than even chance of landing Zion, Ja or Barrett. Might not be as attractive as what Celts could put together, but I'd have taken the discount to avoid the potential negative contingencies we'll have to navigate the next few months to land the "blown away" deal. Hope we get there.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Oh hey, you're back again?
    As much as I try, I can't quit you

Creepy much!

Hit up MSU, he's a counsellor.

This is pretty funny

or scary, depending on your point of view. HA

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    This is pretty funny

or scary, depending on your point of view. HA
    I pick no. 2 !

Jesus I hate silver almost as much as I hate goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hit up MSU, he's a counsellor.
    I rather enjoy couples therapy. I always start with The Five Love Languages.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'd like to file a restraining order.

4 1st round picks and 3 recent 1st round picks that have potential - two of which were #2 picks overall, is not a trash offer. You can have your own evaluation of the players, but what would essentially be 7 1st round picks is not a trash offer. Even Fultz, who has been injured (physically/mentally) and not played, was able to recover a 1st, a 2nd, and an expiring. So yes, worst case scenario is the Pels could flip Kuz, Ball, and Ingram for 3 1st round picks. We crapped all over the offer, but it wasn't terrible/laughable.

Keeping AD also hurts our ability to tank. So the difference between the chance to bottom out to 6th best odds vs chance we'll improve with AD to 12th best odds is significant. It's 27% less likely to land in top 4 and 7.5% less likely to land at #1 overall. Moving up in the draft 5 or less spots, has costs teams at least an additional #1 pick over the last 5 years.

So that's 7 picks we could have had, plus the loss of draft position equivalent to another pick. Say what you want, but it's hardly wussified to say maybe we should have taken it or a Knicks offer, if for no other reason than to have a bettter shot with our pick of Zion, Ja, or RJ.
    Where was it reported the Lakers offered 4 1st round picks? It was reported that's what we asked for but all I remember reading said their last and highest offer was Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Zubac, and 2 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Where was it reported the Lakers offered 4 1st round picks? It was reported that's what we asked for but all I remember reading said their last and highest offer was Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Zubac, and 2 1st.
    Myth, I told you guys - that's what MVP does. He always begins his soliloquy with a half-Truth, blatant lie or a "Possibly", "Maybe", "Could be" type of foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    MY bad! I confused what we reportedly asked for, with what their last reported offer was. See how easy it is for me to admit when I'm wrong.

If they met our demand of 4 picks, would you still think their offer was trash? My understanding has been that the focus of the trash was always the players. Would the addition of a 2023 and 2025 pick have really swayed you?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    1st we should have traded him to the Knicks not the Lakers.

2nd if you think the Lakers deal is trash now imagine if/when Davis says this offseason he will only sign a new deal with the Lakers. Davis now holds most of the leverage. Thanks Dell.
    You get it my man. Plus that trash heap as he called it beat the Celtics yesterday. Team will be terrible when Kyrie leaves in FA
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    This is hilarious, because I literally just told my wife, "what was the point of taking that quiz if you're not going to help me out with some of these responsibilities around the house!?"

MSU can you start a new thread so you can help a brotha out!? Scrap all this Pels talk...

Voice of reason here

There is a lot of LBJ hate in this thread. I wonder how many people would have advocated for the Lakers trade if he played for the Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    You get it my man. Plus that trash heap as he called it beat the Celtics yesterday. Team will be terrible when Kyrie leaves in FA
    our trash heap beat Houston should we try to get a top 5 top 10 player with them?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    our trash heap beat Houston should we try to get a top 5 top 10 player with them?

Apples and oranges my man

MY bad! I confused what we reportedly asked for, with what their last reported offer was. See how easy it is for me to admit when I'm wrong.

If they met our demand of 4 picks, would you still think their offer was trash? My understanding has been that the focus of the trash was always the players. Would the addition of a 2023 and 2025 pick have really swayed you?
    It's real easy when there's no other choice.

Not sure if this has been posted yet... but here you go.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Myth, I told you guys - that's what MVP does. He always begins his soliloquy with a half-Truth, blatant lie or a "Possibly", "Maybe", "Could be" type of foundation.
    Most great discoveries in human history begin with Possibly, maybe, or could be foundation...

People who were certain believed the earth was flat (until they didn't) and man could never achieve flight (until we did). You can't analyze a situation unless you start with possibly, maybe, or could be...

What if this dude with a bum arm that failed a physical can still play... Drew Brees
    Maybe this dude that's not really that fast, could be the the best WR if we can get him in the 2nd round ...Michael Thomas
    Is it possible this dude that got kicked out of Alabama might be one of the best RBs in the league ...Alvin Kamara

What if the Clippers pick sucks, but our pick hits number 1 ... Anthony Davis
    Maybe this dude will finally get healthy and live up to his contract ...Jrue Holiday
    What if this dude actually lives up to his draft hype one day and learns to play a little defense ..Jahlil Okafor.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Apples and oranges my man
    Yeah no its not

Thread Information