Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Future of the Franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    No, its not. We traded EVERY draft pick after AD. Every.Single.One.

I'm talking about finding at least 2 guys with all star potential as building blocks. We just got AD and started mortgaging our future immediately. There is a difference.
    You literally said, "Get a couple guys on rookie scale contracts" then surround them. With borderline all stars.

That's LITERALLY what the Pelicans tried to do. They got AD and Jrue and then tried to surround them with Tyreke, Gordon (who was literally almost an all star before injury), then Anderson.

Injuries killed us. You might not want to admit it but what you described is exactly what happened with our team. You just don't like the method they used to do what you wanted them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You literally said, "Get a couple guys on rookie scale contracts" then surround them. With borderline all stars.

That's LITERALLY what the Pelicans tried to do. They got AD and Jrue and then tried to surround them with Tyreke, Gordon (who was literally almost an all star before injury), then Anderson.

Injuries killed us. You might not want to admit it but what you described is exactly what happened with our team. You just don't like the method they used to do what you wanted them to do.
    I do see where you're coming from here, but it's kind of clear that that's not what Impose means.

There's a pretty big difference between
    ''get AD, then sell off all your draft picks and assets to other teams trying to poach their all-stars that they're literally only selling because they themselves value having draft picks over these players''
    and
    ''get AD and then continue to build through the draft, as drafting players gives you immediate control of their NBA environment and allows them to grow together, developing chemistry and allowing you to build your identity with focus rather than just trading for whoever's on the block''.
    Basketball.

Tbh if we get Tatum, Beal is the player next on my list
    Last edited by tyler; 02-11-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I do see where you're coming from here, but it's kind of clear that that's not what Impose means.

There's a pretty big difference between
    ''get AD, then sell off all your draft picks and assets to other teams trying to poach their all-stars that they're literally only selling because they themselves value having draft picks over these players''
    and
    ''get AD and then continue to build through the draft, as drafting players gives you immediate control of their NBA environment and allows them to grow together, developing chemistry and allowing you to build your identity with focus rather than just trading for whoever's on the block''.
    And what did ANY of the draft picks we traded ever turn into? People act like the method was used was flawed, yet those drafts were incredibly weak and most of the guys we targeted are either out of the league or barely hanging on.

You can disagree with the method used but you can't say "get a couple of guys on rookie contracts" (couple, implying 2, AD and Jrue), "then trade for borderline all stars" and not admit that that is what we did here.

What he really wanted was, "continue to build through the draft because only players we draft on rookie contracts count".

Jrue was traded because the 76ers were rebuilding they valued draft picks because they wanted to lose. That does not imply that those draft picks were more valuable than Jrue. It implies they were going in a different direction.

The Jrue trade was outstanding for this team. People just look at it tainted because of the injuries. Everything is tainted because of the injuries. That's my point. I think if we had even average injury luck throughout AD's career here things would have been entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    And what did ANY of the draft picks we traded ever turn into? People act like the method was used was flawed, yet those drafts were incredibly weak and most of the guys we targeted are either out of the league or barely hanging on.

You can disagree with the method used but you can't say "get a couple of guys on rookie contracts" (couple, implying 2, AD and Jrue), "then trade for borderline all stars" and not admit that that is what we did here.

What he really wanted was, "continue to build through the draft because only players we draft on rookie contracts count".

Jrue was traded because the 76ers were rebuilding they valued draft picks because they wanted to lose. That does not imply that those draft picks were more valuable than Jrue. It implies they were going in a different direction.

The Jrue trade was outstanding for this team. People just look at it tainted because of the injuries. Everything is tainted because of the injuries. That's my point. I think if we had even average injury luck throughout AD's career here things would have been entirely different.
    No, don't get me wrong, I don't disagree. I think the Jrue trade was a good move, in the long run. I'm just saying that if Impose means we should stick to drafting because of the chemistry related reasons, and the 'in-house talent > other teams castoffs' factor, I can appreciate that.

I would note that keeping our picks (my preferred method also) does involve actually being able to draft properly. It's one thing when AD just falls into your lap at #1, it's another when you have to scout and pick a good player at 7 or 10 or 13.

In 2014, our pick was 10th, and with it, Orlando took Elfrid Payton. We ended up with him anyway after a few years, but would we have picked him? Or would we have picked TJ Warren, or Dario Saric, or Nurkic, or Gary Harris? They all went after 10th, so if we could draft properly, any of those could have come up. But if we suck at drafting, we could have easily walked away with Bruno Caboclo.

Same thing with 2017. Our pick ended up being 10th again. With it, at 10th, we could have picked Donovan Mitchell, Jarrett Allen, Kyle Kuzma. We could have also picked Tony Bradley (who?).

It's one thing to have your pick, it's another to be able to use it to pick a good player. I hope we can do that this time around.

Thread Information