Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Future of the Franchise

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I would let him play the first quarter and then take him out

@NOLAJake: RT @ScottDKushner: I have been told by several people the NBA played a role in the decision for the Pelicans to play Anthony Davis for the remaind...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    You guys told me this would not happen...

If AD gets hurt they better be giving us that first pick

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    So basically the NBA is screwing us. Why can't we screw them back? Sitting Anthony Davis is clearly NOT in the best interest of the organization. Period.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I know how this story ends. It never ends well.

He demanded a trade. The NBA values money and advertisement over fairness. Embarrassing from the league.

Can we not?

Like, I know there's a tendency for every thread to eventually converge into just a mixture of everything that's happening at any given time, but since we already have

1) Trade deadline thread
    2) AD trade thread
    3) #SitHim thread
    4) Demps will play AD thread
    5) AD Will File Grievance thread

I was kind of hoping that this thread could stay on topic as like, people's views about the future, rather than just becoming yet another place to talk about Davis.
    Basketball.

To answer the OP, I think we have to go with the superstar option. The Pistons were such an absolute outlier in the history of the NBA by not having a true superstar, that they essentially became the exception that proves the rule. And even they had 4 All-Star (ish) level players. Superstars present their own challenges as has been mentioned, but they are also incredible to watch and give hope of a title at all points in their tenure (until their agent stabs the franchise right in the ****).

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    To answer the OP, I think we have to go with the superstar option. The Pistons were such an absolute outlier in the history of the NBA by not having a true superstar, that they essentially became the exception that proves the rule. And even they had 4 All-Star (ish) level players. Superstars present their own challenges as has been mentioned, but they are also incredible to watch and give hope of a title at all points in their tenure (until their agent stabs the franchise right in the ****).
    Personally, I think I largely agree. It's the highest risk, but it's also the highest reward. The important thing is sticking to the plan though. If, say, NY gets the first overall pick and we take that trade and end up with Zion, we have to commit to building that team up naturally rather than trading all of the picks in the world away to try and win now. It's hard to resist that urge, when you have a guy like Zion, or AD, who shows so much ability so early in their career, but you can't let yourself flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Personally, I think I largely agree. It's the highest risk, but it's also the highest reward. The important thing is sticking to the plan though. If, say, NY gets the first overall pick and we take that trade and end up with Zion, we have to commit to building that team up naturally rather than trading all of the picks in the world away to try and win now. It's hard to resist that urge, when you have a guy like Zion, or AD, who shows so much ability so early in their career, but you can't let yourself flinch.
    Completely agree, which is why I maintain that the Jrue trade was a bad idea despite Jrue exceeding even my wildest expectations. The mindset that we had in building around AD cannot stay in place. We need a coherent plan over a number of years. You can't force a rebuild into a tight window

Completely agree, which is why I maintain that the Jrue trade was a bad idea despite Jrue exceeding even my wildest expectations. The mindset that we had in building around AD cannot stay in place. We need a coherent plan over a number of years. You can't force a rebuild into a tight window
    For real. If we take the NY trade, they can offer us (potentially) their first overall pick this year, plus their own 2021 pick, plus the 2021 Dallas first rounder (obviously not really looking at second rounders).

If we were to take that, and our own pick this year falls at say, 7th, we could very easily get Zion and Bol Bol this year. Then, if we keep next year's first rounder, we could draft again in the top 10. That's three top 10 draftees in two seasons. Then in 2021, our pick would probably fall somewhere between 8th and 12th, the Knicks pick could be something like 16th (assuming that if they get AD, they also get Kyrie), and the Dallas first rounder could also be in that 15-20th range. Our pick + the 2021 Knicks pick could easily be packaged together to move up to something like 5th overall.

So obviously there's a lot of speculation there, and there's absolutely no way of knowing if that is what would happen, and there's obviously other trade possibilities for other picks and stuff in the meantime, but taking the Knicks trade could allow for

2019) Zion Williamson + Bol Bol + Kevin Knox + Mitchell Robinson
    2020) Top #10 draft pick
    2021) Top #5 draft pick + 15th-20th pick.

That's enough, really. It would be 2.5 seasons for a full rebuild as long as we drafted with some intelligence, with a new franchise player to be excited about the entire time and something entertaining for the fans. That's like, half the time it took for the Sixers to do their rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For real. If we take the NY trade, they can offer us (potentially) their first overall pick this year, plus their own 2021 pick, plus the 2021 Dallas first rounder (obviously not really looking at second rounders).

If we were to take that, and our own pick this year falls at say, 7th, we could very easily get Zion and Bol Bol this year. Then, if we keep next year's first rounder, we could draft again in the top 10. That's three top 10 draftees in two seasons. Then in 2021, our pick would probably fall somewhere between 8th and 12th, the Knicks pick could be something like 16th (assuming that if they get AD, they also get Kyrie), and the Dallas first rounder could also be in that 15-20th range. Our pick + the 2021 Knicks pick could easily be packaged together to move up to something like 5th overall.

So obviously there's a lot of speculation there, and there's absolutely no way of knowing if that is what would happen, and there's obviously other trade possibilities for other picks and stuff in the meantime, but taking the Knicks trade could allow for

2019) Zion Williamson + Bol Bol + Kevin Knox + Mitchell Robinson
    2020) Top #10 draft pick
    2021) Top #5 draft pick + 15th-20th pick.

That's enough, really. It would be 2.5 seasons for a full rebuild as long as we drafted with some intelligence, with a new franchise player to be excited about the entire time and something entertaining for the fans. That's like, half the time it took for the Sixers to do their rebuild.
    All in with this plan and it gives us so much control over our future because of the rookie contracts and the liquidity of draft picks. If we are offered the #1 pick this year (or even #2 possibly because I'm really starting to like Ja Morant) I think we need to jump at the chance because of how hard it is to land a real superstar in the draft and have such a long runway to work with.

All in with this plan and it gives us so much control over our future because of the rookie contracts and the liquidity of draft picks. If we are offered the #1 pick this year (or even #2 possibly because I'm really starting to like Ja Morant) I think we need to jump at the chance because of how hard it is to land a real superstar in the draft and have such a long runway to work with.
    It is worth just saying, in case people read this and kind of mistake what I'm saying, that this scenario is entirely hypothetical. We don't know where any of these picks will fall yet, we don't know that NY would get Kyrie necessarily, we don't know how quickly Zion would improve our team, we don't know if Dallas with KP+Doncic becomes a top team within a year or two, it's all just theorising.

But I think it's a plausible approach to start looking at the future. Things could change and we'd have to adjust the plan along with that, but this general idea is something I'd be in favour of.

I think the decision to play AD was the result of a "nudge" from the NBA. They'd let Cleveland shut down JR Smith... and Houston to send Melo home... but they can't afford to allow a healthy AD to be sent home.

There goes the tank. I hope he doesn't get hurt (again) too and kill our trade value. If he does... the league owes us.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I think the decision to play AD was the result of a "nudge" from the NBA. They'd let Cleveland shut down JR Smith... and Houston to send Melo home... but they can't afford to allow a healthy AD to be sent home.

There goes the tank. I hope he doesn't get hurt (again) too and kill our trade value. If he does... the league owes us.
    We were pretty bad with AD too so I'm not sure that it kills our tank all that much. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We were pretty bad with AD too so I'm not sure that it kills our tank all that much. Lol
    I disagree.

We play a lot of games that should be relatively close, and could easily be lost, in the upcoming 28 game home-stretch. While it's true that many of them (OKC, Toronto, Houston, Golden State) are probable losses even with AD, I think having AD could easily result in us picking up wins in some of the more closely contested games we face. For example, we play Utah twice. If we have no AD, I think we lose both times. If we do have him, I think we split that pair of games. Similarly, I think with AD we could possibly pull out a win over Sacramento, which we just wouldn't get without him.

I don't think this turns us into a great team, we won't be going 20-8 to finish the season or anything, but if having AD makes us go 13-15 over the home stretch instead of 10-18, those three extra wins could result in our pick being 9th instead of 6th by the lottery. Which sucks.

I would hope Gentry/management at least significantly limits his minutes. We cannot continue to play him 35-37 minutes a game. I would hope they limit him to 20-24 minutes a game.

The "Super Star" player route seems to take too much of a toll on a team and its' fan-base. I know it was stated in either this thread or another thread that the Pistons did it and they were an outlier, but the Grizz did it as well. I'd almost rather go the route of grinders and lunch pail guys than a super star. New Orleans seems to thrive on resilience and come back stories which is why Brees has become so popular and his leadership is infectious. A team built with those attributes and a leader who commands the team built on grinding, hard work and defense possibly could be an identity that lasts instead of the current identity of not being able to win with super stars that end up leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would hope Gentry/management at least significantly limits his minutes. We cannot continue to play him 35-37 minutes a game. I would hope they limit him to 20-24 minutes a game.
    If you really want to troll Rich Paul & NBA. Put Davis in/start for a couple of seconds. Call timeout and take him out. He got his playing time. We did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by harschman View Post
    The "Super Star" player route seems to take too much of a toll on a team and its' fan-base. I know it was stated in either this thread or another thread that the Pistons did it and they were an outlier, but the Grizz did it as well. I'd almost rather go the route of grinders and lunch pail guys than a super star. New Orleans seems to thrive on resilience and come back stories which is why Brees has become so popular and his leadership is infectious. A team built with those attributes and a leader who commands the team built on grinding, hard work and defense possibly could be an identity that lasts instead of the current identity of not being able to win with super stars that end up leaving.
    Nobody was saying only the Pistons did it. I listed them as the example because they're the only team in the last 20 years to have won a chip using that tactic. Not trying to be rude to Memphis, but they were solid for a bunch of years and then flaked apart like a croissant.

I just want to not be terrible for the net 5-6 years, and honestly im not seeing a real good shot at that.

windhorst, on tatum:

quote:
    “I was talking to about the Celtics the other day and they said the worst thing that happened to the Celtics was their success last season. Because now you’ve got Tatum, [Jaylen] Brown, [Terry] Rozier — these young guys are thinking dude, we went to Game 7 of the East Finals without you, Kyrie, without you, Hayward. We’re this level of player … This summer, they could be gone. They might up end in New Orleans [for Davis]. It’s gossip, but the gossip is Jayson Tatum wouldn’t mind if he’s shipped to New Orleans and has a chance to be the face of the franchise somewhere. Because he’s not going to get that opportunity in Boston, at least not in the immediate future.”

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The 76'ers route is pretty solid. Get a couple young guys on star trajectories on rookie scale contracts then secure cap space just before extensions kick in and sign some stars/borderline all stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    The 76'ers route is pretty solid. Get a couple young guys on star trajectories on rookie scale contracts then secure cap space just before extensions kick in and sign some stars/borderline all stars.
    I mean that's literally what we did with AD and Jrue (we traded for him right before his extension kicked in).

We just got slaughtered with injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I mean that's literally what we did with AD and Jrue (we traded for him right before his extension kicked in).

We just got slaughtered with injuries.
    No, its not. We traded EVERY draft pick after AD. Every.Single.One.

I'm talking about finding at least 2 guys with all star potential as building blocks. We just got AD and started mortgaging our future immediately. There is a difference.

Thread Information