Pelicans Report

Thread: [Video] Recap of the Anthony Davis Era (2012-2019): What Went Wrong?

[Video] Recap of the Anthony Davis Era (2012-2019): What Went Wrong?

I saw this yesterday. Can't say I disagree with his assessment. I am very concerned that we are about to screw this whole thing up with the current guys still pulling the shots.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting View Post
    I saw this yesterday. Can't say I disagree with his assessment. I am very concerned that we are about to screw this whole thing up with the current guys still pulling the shots.
    I dare you to post something positive! Holy Cow.

Dude, I am not trying to be negative at all. Actually I am optimistic that the Pelicans can come out of this better then they went in if they make good decisions. However, I do not have confidence in the front office. Why should I? What have they done to engender confidence? Insist on keeping Eric Gordon after he said he wanted out? Sign Asik and Hill to huge deals? Get rid of Monty for a lateral move that brings in Gentry? Constantly dump our draft choices for average players just so we could stay mediocre enough to not get a top three pick?

We have had five "major" players in New Orleans: Baron Davis, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon (centerpiece of CP3 trade), Boogie and AD, and they all wanted to leave. What am I missing? It's not being negative to point out issues. It's being honest about our shortcomings in hope we can get better. Here we are at a crossroads again and Demps and Gentry are driving the car. Let me turn the question back on you. Why do you have confidence that they will make the right moves? And before you tell me Gentry won't be here... what it that based on? According to him and Dell, it's just been bad luck and ungrateful players. You know what, even if that's true, so what... stuff happens. I believe at some point you make your own luck. You draft and sign the right players who fit your vision, and they want to stay. Other teams seem to be able to do that.

Unlike some guys on here, I don't profess to have the answers, but I don't get paid millions to run an NBA franchise either. However IMHO, we should hold on to AD for now, bring in new more competent leadership, and let those guys make the decisions over the off season. Otherwise, why is there any reason to believe it will turn out any better based on our past history?
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 02-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    good video

The Gordon thing is interesting. Was it a "we're betting on ourselves and the ability to win him over" or more stubbornness "making a stand for small market rights" not letting the player push us around. In any case, we got screwed, Gordon faked injuries and clearly never gave his best effort. Which really is where he screwed himself because the guy could have been a stud.

We always talk about how the players have too much control and they are killing the league....but it seems like most of the time the player ends up screwing himself when they make these demands. Gordon submarined his career. Kawhi went to the Raptors. PG13 to OKC. AD likely not to LA. You have KD and Bron who got what they wanted but it wasn't by demands. It was by waiting until FA to bolt.

This is all going off if memory and you guys may come in and put me back in line, but it seems like the demands only end up screwing the player over.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The Gordon thing is interesting. Was it a "we're betting on ourselves and the ability to win him over" or more stubbornness "making a stand for small market rights" not letting the player push us around. In any case, we got screwed, Gordon faked injuries and clearly never gave his best effort. Which really is where he screwed himself because the guy could have been a stud.

We always talk about how the players have too much control and they are killing the league....but it seems like most of the time the player ends up screwing himself when they make these demands. Gordon submarined his career. Kawhi went to the Raptors. PG13 to OKC. AD likely not to LA. You have KD and Bron who got what they wanted but it wasn't by demands. It was by waiting until FA to bolt.

This is all going off if memory and you guys may come in and put me back in line, but it seems like the demands only end up screwing the player over.
    Baron Davis did the same thing as well. I was at the game (season ticket holder at the time) when his lower back suddenly "healed up," and was able to showcase himself so he get traded to Golden State. Golden State wanted proof that he was healthy. We kept holding on to him despite his trade demands and we got back a 35 yo Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton after he successfully tanked his value.

https://www.nba.com/warriors/news/ac...is_022405.html

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...5181b8cec.html
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 02-01-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Pelican View Post
    Demps, SMH
    If anything, the main takeaway from the video is Demps did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If anything, the main takeaway from the video is Demps did fine.
    I agree. we focus on his bad deals but how bad are they compared to all of the other teams over the same period?

Thread Information