Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Getting Tatum

I'm not too concerned about the Memphis pick, since it probably won't convey until 2021. I'd rather secure Boston's pick for this year too. Then, counting our own pick, we could easily have something like the 6th, 13th, 18th, and 23rd picks in this years first round. Having four first round rookies in one year might turn some people off, but I'd be hoping for them to grow together and get some intense chemistry going on by the time we have to start extending some of them. Equally, having the 18th and 23rd, you could easily package them together in another trade to maybe get something like the 6th, 13th, and 14th picks instead. Still three rookies to grow together, but if there's someone the FO has someone their eye on at that 14-16 range they wanted to lock in, that could help.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not too concerned about the Memphis pick, since it probably won't convey until 2021. I'd rather secure Boston's pick for this year too. Then, counting our own pick, we could easily have something like the 6th, 13th, 18th, and 23rd picks in this years first round. Having four first round rookies in one year might turn some people off, but I'd be hoping for them to grow together and get some intense chemistry going on by the time we have to start extending some of them. Equally, having the 18th and 23rd, you could easily package them together in another trade to maybe get something like the 6th, 13th, and 14th picks instead. Still three rookies to grow together, but if there's someone the FO has someone their eye on at that 14-16 range they wanted to lock in, that could help.
    I am sure they would rather have the potential of the Memphis pick over another late 1st rounder this year. Adding 3-4 rookies to a few younger players that are acquired in the AD trade may not be ideal. Memphis' pick could be top 10 next year or even top 5 the following year (with potential of being #1).

Memphis pick is a priority for the long term. Getting a great pick midway through the rebuild would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am sure they would rather have the potential of the Memphis pick over another late 1st rounder this year. Adding 3-4 rookies to a few younger players that are acquired in the AD trade may not be ideal. Memphis' pick could be top 10 next year or even top 5 the following year (with potential of being #1).
    Yeah, I understand that which is why I wouldn't be upset if we got the Memphis pick instead of the Boston pick, although I do still hold that you could use the Clippers and Boston pick together to move up. Then we'd still only have 3 picks, but one of them would be higher than the 18th that we'd get with the Clips pick.

Personally, I think the only young player we're guaranteed to get in the trade from Boston is Tatum, and I don't think he'd have any issue with gelling with Jrue and helping out rookies. He is what the commentators and journalists today call, a ''young vet'', as much as I hate that term.

I do appreciate what you're saying though, and I wouldn't be against it. Frankly, I would quite like it if we could fleece Boston for all four picks, but I'm not sure that's likely.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I had your train of thought until conversing with Mythrol. That MEMPHIS pick is HuGE. 2021 is 1st year of High schoolers jumping back into the draft. Which means, that pick is very desirable and we can use that pick to flip & move up this year. The Memphis pick is the most important pick.

I would assume the Semi firm stance the Pels are taking with Boston is something along the lines of, "If you want us to wait for you we need Tatum, Brown, 3 1sts (highest ones) or 2 1sts and Smart."

That'd probably what I need to agree to trade AD to Boston now. If he threatened to not agree now and lower the offer later I'd say ok then I won't trade him to you at all and you miss out on him because you'll never be able to sign him as a free agent.

This is very much a time for the Pelicans to absolutely threaten to spite themselves with a weaker trade to pull everything they can from Boston, and they will cave because they desperately want to keep Kyrie too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Memphis pick is a priority for the long term. Getting a great pick midway through the rebuild would be huge.
    Or flipping it if we have a target this year !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I had your train of thought until conversing with Mythrol. That MEMPHIS pick is HuGE. 2021 is 1st year of High schoolers jumping back into the draft. Which means, that pick is very desirable and we can use that pick to flip & move up this year. The Memphis pick is the most important pick.
    Right. It's not just about having the pick to use it ourselves. That pick is a huge trade chip too. It gives a ton of flexibility no matter what which is why you have to have it as a core piece.

I mean, sure, which is part of why I wouldn't be mad or anything if that happened, but I don't really see why we're that concerned about high schoolers. Look at the last time high schoolers were eligible for the draft. Most of them sucked. Are there kids currently on track to be eligible in 2021 that are really elite? I don't pay attention to high school basketball.

I mean, sure, which is part of why I wouldn't be mad or anything if that happened, but I don't really see why we're that concerned about high schoolers. Look at the last time high schoolers were eligible for the draft. Most of them sucked. Are there kids currently on track to be eligible in 2021 that are really elite? I don't pay attention to high school basketball.
    It's a draft that will have double the top tier talent of usual drafts because the 1 and done players will be coming out along with all the top high school talent. A tanking team is going to want to desperately have two high picks in that draft.

I don't believe anyone really knows who will be available in 2021, but 2021 will be a single-year event where the player pool will be deeper than ever. Maybe you don't like the guy who's #1 overall who's coming out of high school, but perhaps he pushes your guy down a position lower than he would have been drafted if this weren't the case?

So, I'm guessing that you were worried about your retort. Instead of reading the entire post. We get the pick & TRADE TRADE TRADE it. Other terrible teams would love to have that pick .

So, I'm guessing that you were worried about your retort. Instead of reading the entire post. We get the pick & TRADE TRADE TRADE it. Other terrible teams would love to have that pick .
    No, I got that, I was just asking in case we happened to end up keeping it.

No, I got that, I was just asking in case we happened to end up keeping it.
    I hope not. I hope the longest duration is Using before 2020 season In a flip. We could probably get more for it at the end of next season instead of this one.

I hope not. I hope the longest duration is Using before 2020 season In a flip. We could probably get more for it at the end of next season instead of this one.
    That's fair enough. Could end up working out.

Like I said though, I wouldn't even be TOO shocked if we convinced Boston to part with all four of the picks, to be honest. If they think AD is what takes them from reaching the finals to winning a championship, they might do it. Maybe not, but it's worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I would assume the Semi firm stance the Pels are taking with Boston is something along the lines of, "If you want us to wait for you we need Tatum, Brown, 3 1sts (highest ones) or 2 1sts and Smart."

That'd probably what I need to agree to trade AD to Boston now. If he threatened to not agree now and lower the offer later I'd say ok then I won't trade him to you at all and you miss out on him because you'll never be able to sign him as a free agent.

This is very much a time for the Pelicans to absolutely threaten to spite themselves with a weaker trade to pull everything they can from Boston, and they will cave because they desperately want to keep Kyrie too.
    Its not like the trade can go down now. All discussions mean jack, We're not getting all that. I settle for Tatum and some of that.

We have to take this to the offseason though. We have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Its not like the trade can go down now. All discussions mean jack, We're not getting all that. I settle for Tatum and some of that.

We have to take this to the offseason though. We have to.
    You agree to terms now. Ainge nor Pels will back out. You simply can't break your word to other gms in the league.

I'm getting the impression that Ainge might not be willing to include Tatum in an offer. He could declare Irving, Tatum and Horford as untouchable.
    That fits his M.O. When Irving came available he made it clear that neither Brown or Tatum could be discussed.
    And while Davis is a bigger star than Irving, it was balsy to state that those youngsters would not be in play for a player of Irving's caliber.
    At that time, Tatum was a rookie without NBA experience and Brown wasn't even a starter (back-up of Crowder).

And I believe Ainge has Irving-Tatum-Davis (guard-wing-big), three (future) superstars as a core on his mind.
    He'll trade almost anybody else and combine a huge package, but he sticks with what they view as the non-expendables.
    On the other hand, Ainge has a history of surprising everybody

That's not what I want though. I'm fine with giving up Tatum + assets (but not Brown or Smart as well).
    And I am afraid that playing hard to get could backfire at some point and that might be right now.

What do you guys think? Is it a certainty that Tatum goes to New Orleans if they make a deal with Boston for Davis?

(I know that everybody here insists on Tatum (and then some ) and rightfully so i.m.o., so don't shoot the messenger)
    Last edited by RodyTur10; 01-31-2019 at 02:56 PM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You agree to terms now. Ainge nor Pels will back out. You simply can't break your word to other gms in the league.
    I think without a doubt, the Boston situation where we hold out AD for season is best.

G - Holiday
    G - Brown
    SF - Tatum
    PF - Someone
    C - Someone

We'd have our draft pick, which would be pretty high + Kings pick + Grizzlies pick + Clippers pick.

And then you actually need to move Randle and Moore to Clippers so they can get into playoffs and we get that pick.

Plus cap space.

If the Celtics want AD and to keep Kyrie happy then Tatum is a core piece. No deal will get done without him in it. Plus Ainge has already told Woj everyone outside of Kyrie is available.

Celtics fans need to understand you WILL be paying for AD. You can't sign him in free agency, he's already said he prefers Lakers. If you want your shot at a ring it's going to cost you. It's just as much about keeping Kyrie.

...we get to go McDonalds
    1. Kyrie plus the Celtics as constructed is not going to win a title in the next two years.
    2. Kyrie plus AD on Celtics has a legit chance at winning title next year.
    3. Rich Paul is in a tough spot because he knows that if AD goes to Boston, LA's title hopes are down the drain. So he's gonna tell Boston that under no circumstances will AD re-sign with them.
    4. We need AD to change agents.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    1. Kyrie plus the Celtics as constructed is not going to win a title in the next two years.
    2. Kyrie plus AD on Celtics has a legit chance at winning title next year.
    3. Rich Paul is in a tough spot because he knows that if AD goes to Boston, LA's title hopes are down the drain. So he's gonna tell Boston that under no circumstances will AD re-sign with them.
    4. We need AD to change agents.

lol....no ,AD needs to be his own man and do whats best for him but he needs a daddy and lebron told him that he will be his daddy when they had dinner that night the secret tampering took place....

Quote Originally Posted by RodyTur10 View Post
    I'm getting the impression that Ainge might not be willing to include Tatum in an offer. He could declare Irving, Tatum and Horford as untouchable.
    That fits his M.O. When Irving came available he made it clear that neither Brown or Tatum could be discussed.
    And while Davis is a bigger star than Irving, it was balsy to state that those youngsters would not be in play for a player of Irving's caliber.
    At that time, Tatum was a rookie without NBA experience and Brown wasn't even a starter (back-up of Crowder).

And I believe Ainge has Irving-Tatum-Davis (guard-wing-big), three (future) superstars as a core on his mind.
    He'll trade almost anybody else and combine a huge package, but he sticks with what they view as the non-expendables.
    On the other hand, Ainge has a history of surprising everybody

That's not what I want though. I'm fine with giving up Tatum + assets (but not Brown or Smart as well).
    And I am afraid that playing hard to get could backfire at some point and that might be right now.

What do you guys think? Is it a certainty that Tatum goes to New Orleans if they make a deal with Boston for Davis?

(I know that everybody here insists on Tatum (and then some ) and rightfully so i.m.o., so don't shoot the messenger)
    No offense friend, but Tatum is coming to New Orleans if we agree a deal with Boston. Dell would be investigated by the NBA for fraud otherwise.

Thread Information