Pelicans Report

Thread: Food for thought: Jabari Parker

Food for thought: Jabari Parker

It seems our time with AD is nearly at its end, and that we will be blowing things up in an effort to rebuild. If we really are looking at a rebuild we will need expensive contracts to keep us above the salary cap floor, and those contracts will have to be short term as to not hamper us from signing or trading for major pieces when they become available and we show ourselves to be players in any and all trades due to our cap space.

Might I throw out a name that might not be popular now, but may grow on us like Jah has? I want to talk about fellow Chicago boy Jabari Parker. He has been in the league for all of 5 years, and at the ripe old age of 23 he is already out of the Chicago Bulls plans (as if they have any). He has one year left, and is due $20MM next season. So he meets the qualifications of both being short term and carrying a big salary.

Why would we want him here? Jabari is still a young guy, and his body is still developing. At 23 he has shown what he can do from a scoring standpoint, but his defense still needs to be improved. He isn’t a starter, but he is a solid bench guy who can play the 3 and the 4.

If you bring him in next year and let he and Jah run the bench, you can let them both build on existing chemistry that they have together, and you can lock down that part of your team. Neither will be All Star players, but if you give them confidence you can find yourself with two key players to build off of moving forward.

If things don’t work out with Parker, and he proves to be just another guy, you can move on from his $20MM contract and have that much more cap space to work with moving forward.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He's not getting anywhere near 20 mil next season

Because he stinks

I thought he had a 2 year deal with the Bulls that paid him $20MM a season?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I thought he had a 2 year deal with the Bulls that paid him $20MM a season?
    Team option.

Thread Information