Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideal trade scenario with AD

I for one think the Boston treasure trove is vastly overrated. Outside of Tatum nothing else about their assets excites me. I'd take Prozingis, Knox and the Knicks unprotected pick any day over anything Boston can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I for one think the Boston treasure trove is vastly overrated. Outside of Tatum nothing else about their assets excites me. I'd take Prozingis, Knox and the Knicks unprotected pick any day over anything Boston can offer.
    Knicks would also make you take back contracts while Boston could take your bad ones.

The only way New York gives up all that is if Kyrie and/or KD says they will sign as well. At which point, New York would have to clear the cap room. So, lets say these were the two trades:

1. AD and Solo for Tatum, Brown, Smart, Memphis 1st, Sacto 1st, Clippers 1st

2. Knox, Porzingas, pick, Lance Thomas, Courtney Lee for AD

Now, which one is more appealing? And does it matter where the pick lands? Are the Knicks more appealing if its the 1st pick but the Celtics are more appealing if the Knicks pick lands at 3 or 4?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Knicks would also make you take back contracts while Boston could take your bad ones.

The only way New York gives up all that is if Kyrie and/or KD says they will sign as well. At which point, New York would have to clear the cap room. So, lets say these were the two trades:

Now, which one is more appealing? And does it matter where the pick lands? Are the Knicks more appealing if its the 1st pick but the Celtics are more appealing if the Knicks pick lands at 3 or 4?
    The sad part is that when it is all said and done, we probably will not get anything as good as either of those deals. To me, both are pretty solid deals, if we think we have a shot of re-signing Porzingis). If the Knicks pick is #1, it may sneak ahead of the Boston deal. If not, I lean to Boston.

Another factor is our pick. The higher it is, the more appealing taking back contracts and getting that Knicks pick for the future becomes. If we keep this sometimes winning thing up, the higher number our pick is the more attractive the Boston deal ends up being.

I like the outline of this deal and after reading all this, I've come around even more than I was to begin with. However, I don't make this trade until after the lottery because I don't even want an outside chance that this all ends with us having something like the 7th and 9th pick in a very shallow draft. And I don't think the Knicks would mind waiting either because it's not like they're really in a position to make a playoff run this year anyway.

Who says the Knicks make us take back contracts? Clearly if the Knicks aren't willing to give you what you want you walk away. Who's to say Boston is trying to take back salary? That Hayward contract might surpass Chandler Parson's and they still have to have space to re-sign Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The sad part is that when it is all said and done, we probably will not get anything as good as either of those deals. To me, both are pretty solid deals, if we think we have a shot of re-signing Porzingis). If the Knicks pick is #1, it may sneak ahead of the Boston deal. If not, I lean to Boston.
    We can still flip Porzingis to move salary and gain more picks.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We can still flip Porzingis to move salary and gain more picks.
    Unless it is done as part of the initial trade, he would be a restricted FA in the offseason, so a S&T would be required. Those are always complicated.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Unless it is done as part of the initial trade, he would be a restricted FA in the offseason, so a S&T would be required. Those are always complicated.
    Could sign him and flip him at the deadline after he's demonstrated he's healthy. Not complicated. But you do run the risk of a Gordon repeat and him never being healthy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

I'd actually be willing to take on whatever future obligations the Knicks have, including Tim Hardaway, just to get the deal done. But in that scenario they're giving me frank ntilikina and mitchell robinson too. Gotta get that deal done before the deadline though. It can't wait until July.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Could sign him and flip him at the deadline after he's demonstrated he's healthy. Not complicated. But you do run the risk of a Gordon repeat and him never being healthy.
    That assumes he would sign.

...we get to go McDonalds
    1. If you put AD on the Knicks, they'll win more games and that draft slot lowers. So a Knicks trade would have to be in off-season for the pick to be high as possible
    2. Assume the Knicks get the 2nd pick and are willing to trade it like in above proposal --- what are the chances that player is equal to or better than Jayson Tatum?

Agreed. I'm expecting a deal where we end up with Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Laker draft picks. And this board explodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Then I say Boston trade, for the reasons I outlined earlier in the thread. Get the Boston trade, you get Tatum + our own pick + Sacramento pick + Clippers pick. Can get a bunch of young, hardworking talent on cheap deals to grow together.
    I agree with you as well. I would love the Boston trade. Another route similar to your want for the 1st Boston has would be possibly getting the Knicks 1st and letting them keep Porzingis while taking all of their youth having Ntilikina and Mudiay included along with all the other guys I mentioned previously. No matter what we do I believe we are in as good as a position you could ask for. The 3 big market teams that are players all happen to have very good young talent for us to get in return along with picks.

With Boston I would gladly take Tatum, Brown, and a 1st.. Jrue/Brown/Tatum would be one hell of a trio while we still have our pick and Bostons pick giving us 2 lottery picks to get a big or 2.

The Lakers have a very good package to offer as well. I’m still a huge fan of Ingram and believe this kid is going to be an all star caliber player in a couple of years as his game and body continues to develop. Then you throw in Kuzma, Hart, and a 1st would really be a solid package that gives this team a nice boost. They are my 3rd option but is still a very good one.

I hate to move AD and believe if he would sign an extension allowing us to put all the pieces in place over the next year or 2 could put us in the elite category. Sadly that won’t happen but the good thing is we are in a position to build something even better that can be similar to a team like the Warriors developing their young talent. The Knicks are my favorite since we would be getting a direct replacement for AD with a younger and already all star big that is just scratching the surface of his potential. Then you throw in what can be a stud SF that we have been desperately missing in Knox along with guys like Trier makes this move my clear front runner. For me this is as exciting as it gets being a basketball fan. Great time for this organization to really turn itself around.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-30-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    1. If you put AD on the Knicks, they'll win more games and that draft slot lowers. So a Knicks trade would have to be in off-season for the pick to be high as possible
    2. Assume the Knicks get the 2nd pick and are willing to trade it like in above proposal --- what are the chances that player is equal to or better than Jayson Tatum?
    I don’t agree because we would basically gut the Knicks as their plan would be for this offseason. We can’t even win with AD right now and have a much better team imo. I think their pick at worse would stay on the same projection while very likely dropping even lower as they lose more often. I think the 2nd pick in this draft allowing us to choose between Ja, RJ, or Zion is every bit as good as getting Tatum. Just say the trade was between a package of Tatum and one of Ja/RJ/Zion or getting Porzingis and one of Ja/RJ/Zion.. Which deal would you take? I’m going with Porzingis and the pick. On top of that the Knicks have a lot more young assets to sweeten the deal while Boston really only has one core piece to be moved in Jaylen Brown. The Knicks have a great group of young talent for us to pick from with Knox, Trier, Robinson, Mudiay, and Ntilikina. IMO if these are the deals it’s a no brainer.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-30-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don’t agree because we would basically gut the Knicks as their plan would be for this offseason. We can’t even win with AD right now and have a much better team imo. I think their pick at worse would stay on the same projection while very likely dropping even lower as they lose more often. I think the 2nd pick in this draft allowing us to choose between Ja, RJ, or Zion is every bit as good as getting Tatum. Just say the trade was between a package of Tatum and one of Ja/RJ/Zion or getting Porzingis and one of Ja/RJ/Zion.. Which deal would you take? I’m going with Porzingis and the pick. On top of that the Knicks have a lot more young assets to sweeten the deal while Boston really only has one core piece to be moved in Jaylen Brown. The Knicks have a great group of young talent for us to pick from with Knox, Trier, Robinson, Mudiay, and Ntilikina. IMO if these are the deals it’s a no brainer.

1. The Knicks are the worst team in the NBA. And they're racking up the losses in the eastern conference. There's zero reason to believe AD can't out do that with a bunch of filler players. We've had some bad teams and never been anywhere near that mark w/AD and we're in the western conference.

2. I'm not sure where you made the hop to choices between Tatum / Draft pick vs. Porzingis / Draft pick --- I think this questions really asks who's better between Tatum and Porzingis and not Tatum vs. Draft pick. But to answer your question, I'd take Tatum over Porzingis. Only because I don't know the health status of Porzingis, and he was injury prone to begin with. If Porzingis is healthy, I'd go Porzingis. Perhaps your point is that having Porzingis + draft pick is 2 of the 3 top assets in play, therefore making the Knicks package better?

3. The Knicks young talent sucks. Look at point #1.

4. Gonna add here that we should remember that the odds flattened this year for the lottery. The Knicks, in years past, would have had a 25% chance of getting first pick, whereas now it's 14%.
    Last edited by Primetime; 01-30-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Agreed. I'm expecting a deal where we end up with Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Laker draft picks. And this board explodes.
    I said in another post I will stop following the team until the person that makes that deal is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I said in another post I will stop following the team until the person that makes that deal is fired.
    Apparently dell isn't doing anything he's been "neutered" according to mm

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I'd be tempted to do something similar. There are multiple good deals out there, and a couple of great ones. If someone caves and makes the Lakers deal (which is probably the worst of any 'seriously considered' deals) I would be fuming.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Unfortunately that is far from true under the new lottery.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
    That's true, but that's also why we can wait to make the trade until we know.

Yeah, I really don’t think any of us wanting Demps or Gentry being here next year, or managing this move.

Then again, none of us want to have a Jerry West situation where the new guy comes in and gives his old team one last freebie.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information