Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideal trade scenario with AD

Trade Idea Ideal trade scenario with AD

It’s been a while!! Miss you guys!!
    Sorry the write up is so long.. If not interested just skip..

After evaluating my main 4 teams in the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Knicks for the AD sweepstakes one has emerged as my clear favorite. With the other 3 having very good packages as well imo no matter what we do we will get our chance at building a deeper and better team. With the best package the Knicks are my favorite team for the Pelicans to make a deal with.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

First I’ll start off with the reasons the Knicks make the deal. This move instantly makes them credible as a destination for FAs to create a super team this offseason. You have Durant, Kyrie, Butler, Leonard, and quite a few others guys that would be targets in FA with a near guarantee to land atleast 1 and very likely 2 of those guys. Making the bold move landing AD to bring in other stars instantly makes them the team to beat in the East and possibly the entire NBA. Kyrie/Durant/AD, Leonard/Durant/AD, Kyrie/Butler/AD, or just KD/AD are some of the scenarios that would make some very dangerous teams. The Knicks owner Dolan who wants to sell the team would be able to name his price for what would likely be the biggest deal in all of sports. IMO a great move for the Knicks and well worth the risk even without a promised extension. I’m them and have AD for another year I go for it all and pull the trigger on a trade.

Now my reason for why the Knicks package is the best choice for the Pelicans. The prize piece for me would be landing the “Unicorn” Kristaps Porzingis. IMO he has potential to be every bit as good as AD while he continues to develop. KP has been on near the same exact pace to start his first three years at basically the same age as AD. Another all time great he has had a near identical start to is Dirk Nowitzki in his first 3 years as well just slightly better in just about every category offensively while being a far superior defender. Porzingis is just 23 years old standing at 7’3 and still has a ton of room to fill out his body while adding more strength. We have great experience is this area with our staff having done an amazing job with AD. I think Porzingis is someone who we would never have to worry about leaving like a Dirk/Duncan and could care less about being in some big market. He is someone you can build a championship around and a trade piece that doesn’t get much better to replace AD.

The next key get would be that elusive missing piece at the SF position we haven’t been able to fill. That young 19 year old kid would be Kevin Knox who imo has the potential to be an absolute stud while already showing tons of flashes in his rookie year. He reminds me as the Devin Booker of SFs in a sense of where he was drafted and how he will continue to improve into a star as arguably the best pick in his draft class. He is 6’9 with very good athleticism and has a ton of defensive potential while having what is going to be a deadly 3 point shot. Kid has everything we are looking for in a SF prospect and has looked to be every bit as good as Ingram/Tatum who would be 2 potential wings if we pursue other options. Adding Knox to an already all star duo in Holiday/Porzingis could be the forming of something very special. On top of that a lottery pick!?

We have now come to the hometown kid in Mitchell Robinson who was someone I wanted during the draft. A young 21 year old prospect on a rookie 4 year deal who has a ton of potential as a Tyson/Jordan type of center. He is 7’1 with a 7’4 wingspan and a frame to put on more muscle mass and strength in a similar way to AD. No telling how good this kid can become and just adding strength along with some experience and natural improvement makes him a solid NBA Center. He shoots 67% from FG which is very promising showing he does the right things.

I have Hardaway Jr. as the throw in to make the $ work. He is someone I think would be a great addition at the SG position alongside Jrue. He would be a nice piece that can score 20 ppg. If he is someone they insist on keeping then Courtney Lee could be a throw in piece that makes the $ work and would be on an expiring contract after this year.

My wildcard that I didn’t include in trade is Alonzo Trier. The trade machine wouldn’t allow him to be selected so to not confuse some people I’ll put him separately. Since a draft pick likely won’t be included he could be a very possibly get as well. I don’t think anything is out of the question when trading a player like AD who has the potential to turn around your franchise do to the attractiveness of the market as well. Trier is another rookie who is a 6’5 SG that has a deadly 3 point shot. He would fit in great between Holiday and Knox. I would be willing to exclude Mitchell if it meant landing Trier. I think taking on contracts like Hardaway and/or Lee nearly clearing their books for FA would land us some extra pieces. Trier is one of those pieces you need in a lineup to win a championship. His skill set is a big part of today’s game. Has a similar style game to Ray Allen. No not as good but offers a deadly 3 with a nice overall game as well. Jrue/Trier/Knox/Unicorn/Lottery!?!?

Adding Knox, Mitchell, and Porzingis who are just 19, 21, and 23 years old to what we already have would be an amazing addition to our team giving us a nice youth boost that can win right away. Combine what we have and what we can do in FA/draft really gives this organization the chance to become serious contenders one day. I doubt the Knicks would want to give up their pick but maybe we could swap picks and take on bad contracts to get the deal done. Another potential twist would be letting them keep Knox and taking their 1st that could potentially land us Ja Morant to play alongside Jrue as perfect compliments to each other. Trading AD to the Knicks becomes the best decision we ever made.

Not saying this is the exact group we keep around but we have some great core pieces and solid bench options for us to make decisions on. I would love to bring one of Randle or Mirotic back at the right price. Keeping Frank Jackson is a must while evaluating Diallo/Okafor with this team as young and cheap bench options. Moore and Hardaway would both be guys I would be open keeping one around or possibly use as trade chips to land better fits to go along with what moves we potentially make in FA. What could really be a franchise altering move is our draft picks where we could land another stud big to put next to Porzingis or another guard next to Jrue. We hit on our draft pick and you are looking at a dominant team in a couple of years and for a long time at that. Lots of different ways we can go and a lot of very good outcomes.

Jrue/Knox/Porzingis
    Jackson/Moore/Hardaway ?Diallo/Okafor? ?Randle/Mirotic?
    Lottery pick ?
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-30-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I would do this right now and never look back

I agree that the Knicks are a good choice, and I would definitely be interested in what they have to offer, but I'm not sure I agree with you in every way.

While Porzingis is good, he does have serious problems in his game that are worth mentioning, and he's basically missed a full season and a half with injury. We have no idea what he'll look like when he returns. I do think there's a good chance that he'll come back fine, that is a huge risk to consider and is worth keeping in mind. Add to that he's a frankly awful rebounder for his height/position, and that he's not a great passer either, his value is a little shaky.

For me, the centrepiece of this trade with the Knicks is their ability to offer up what is likely going to be the Number 2 Overall pick. Since this draft has 3 big names, getting the 2nd pick would guarantee you one of those three, and most people seem to agree that RJ, Zion, and Ja all have franchise player potential. That does dictate, though, to some extent, how you construct your team afterwards. If your intention is to get Zion, for example, and then build around him as the main guy, then the Knicks pick is by far the best chance we have of that.

On the other hand, maybe you prefer the Boston deal precisely because while you wouldn't have the same singular talent level as the Knicks trade (with a potential Zion/Porzingis duo), you would have the potential to select more youth in a single draft. If we took the Boston deal and they throw us the Sacramento and Clippers pick with Tatum, we could be moving forward with something like Jayson Tatum, Jarrett Culver, Bol Bol, and Brandon Clarke. That would be a rookie SG, PF, and C, along with a still-20-year-old Tatum to roll out. Obviously none of those individuals have the same guaranteed talent as Porzingis, nor do they have a ceiling as high as Zion, but it would allow for a full bodied youth movement across the roster. If that's the approach you'd rather take, then Boston are afar superior trade to the Knicks even if they don't have any singular asset as valuable as Porzingis or the 2nd pick.
    Basketball.

People will call me crazy, but if the FO drafts properly and doesn't have that win now mentality I think this team has more success over the next 7 years than the last.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    People will call me crazy, but if the FO drafts properly and doesn't have that win now mentality I think this team has more success over the next 7 years than the last.
    I don't call you crazy, I agree. I think if we make one of the better trades available, keep our picks, draft cleverly, and not throw money at every FA who looks our way, we could be a lot better than we've been over the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't call you crazy, I agree. I think if we make one of the better trades available, keep our picks, draft cleverly, and not throw money at every FA who looks our way, we could be a lot better than we've been over the last couple of years.
    It's Knicks or Boston for me.
    If AD goes to the Lakers I'm done with the NBA.

Is Knox really that good?
    I've only seen two games.

That's my preferred two deals as well. Maybe another one comes out of nowhere and surprises me, but otherwise it just depends on what route you wanna take.

Want the superstars road? Take the Knicks trade.
    Want the wide range of solid players? Take the Boston trade.

That's my preferred two deals as well. Maybe another one comes out of nowhere and surprises me, but otherwise it just depends on what route you wanna take.

Want the superstars road? Take the Knicks trade.
    Want the wide range of solid players? Take the Boston trade.
    Give me a team who play hard on both ends.
    I'm fine with Tatum being the best player if this team is consistanly in the playoffs.

Give me a team who play hard on both ends.
    I'm fine with Tatum being the best player if this team is consistanly in the playoffs.
    Then I say Boston trade, for the reasons I outlined earlier in the thread. Get the Boston trade, you get Tatum + our own pick + Sacramento pick + Clippers pick. Can get a bunch of young, hardworking talent on cheap deals to grow together.

I'd rank the Knicks deal above the Celts but will be satisfied with either. Not sure if any other deals even come close to those two.

trade with the lakers!!!
    pelicans gets - Kuz,Hart,Ingram, Rando and 2- 1st round pick!! (Ball) if he want to play here!!
    Lakers gets - AD,S. Hill and Money

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdee2019 View Post
    trade with the lakers!!!
    pelicans gets - Kuz,Hart,Ingram, Rando and 2- 1st round pick!! (Ball) if he want to play here!!
    Lakers gets - AD,S. Hill and Money
    No.

Yeah I was screaming this 7 years ago

But to the OP's point I agree the Knicks are the best scenario if they're willing to deal. If I'm Perry and Mills though I am not. I still see Davis as a Robin in this league. I'd only make such a deal for a Batman type player.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Yeah I was screaming this 7 years ago

But to the OP's point I agree the Knicks are the best scenario if they're willing to deal. If I'm Perry and Mills though I am not. I still see Davis as a Robin in this league. I'd only make such a deal for a Batman type player.
    The Knicks have reason to believe (whether it's good reason or not, you decide) that Kyrie Irving wants to play in NYC. This comes at least in part from them being on his list of required destinations when he demanded his trade from Cleveland, as well as his desire to be ''the guy'' in a big market. There might not be a bigger market than NYC, except maybe LA, and he won't go to play with Lebron again. Combine that with the rumours that KD might be on his way to New York (again, your pick on whether you buy that or not), the Knicks might take AD on the assumption that gaining that superstar might be enough to tip Kyrie or KD over from ''maybe'' into ''probably''.

The Knicks have reason to believe (whether it's good reason or not, you decide) that Kyrie Irving wants to play in NYC. This comes at least in part from them being on his list of required destinations when he demanded his trade from Cleveland, as well as his desire to be ''the guy'' in a big market. There might not be a bigger market than NYC, except maybe LA, and he won't go to play with Lebron again. Combine that with the rumours that KD might be on his way to New York (again, your pick on whether you buy that or not), the Knicks might take AD on the assumption that gaining that superstar might be enough to tip Kyrie or KD over from ''maybe'' into ''probably''.
    Yeah I agree. I think the Knicks trade for Davis just for the splash effect and I'd be glad to work that out.

ALot of what I've been hearing (sports shows) says Porzingis will not extend with the Pels, so maybe we can trade him for more assets when that time comes (if we make a deal for him).

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    ALot of what I've been hearing (sports shows) says Porzingis will not extend with the Pels, so maybe we can trade him for more assets when that time comes (if we make a deal for him).
    I was thinking the same thing about moving Porzingis for assets, but he has little leverage being a RFA. Pels would be able to match whatever, but I wouldn't mind seeing a scenario of moving him for assets. I think we could see some three-way deals involving AD, but we still have little trust in Demps executing big trades.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Yep, unless we can pry Simmons loose

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Do you guys think if we could work a three team trade with Toronto and Milwaukee that a potential deal sending out Davis and some combination between Jrue, Niko, Randle or Moore could be better than a deal we could get from Boston in the summer?

My only concern with the Knicks is KP's injury. I know a lot of people say "it's only an ACL" but it's the ACL of a 7fter. Fortunately his game is not dependent on hyper athleticism so he probably is still good to go but that's be my worry there.

You're also looking at probably a high lottery pick with them too so we'd have 2 top 10 picks (ours and theirs).

The Boston deal getting Sac and Memphis 1st could be good as well. Especially if Memphis trades Conley and Gasol.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    Do you guys think if we could work a three team trade with Toronto and Milwaukee that a potential deal sending out Davis and some combination between Jrue, Niko, Randle or Moore could be better than a deal we could get from Boston in the summer?
    I don't think Toronto and Milwaukee have the assets to match a Boston deal.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    For me, the centrepiece of this trade with the Knicks is their ability to offer up what is likely going to be the Number 2 Overall pick. Since this draft has 3 big names, getting the 2nd pick.
    Unfortunately that is far from true under the new lottery.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This is basically the deal I've been tossing out on Twitter since December. So I'm definitely cool with the long write up explaining it.

It's also a deal they talked about on the Dunc'd On Mock Trade Deadline podcast. In their mock, they Top 1 protected the lottery pick, with it converting to two Top 1 protected lottery picks (2020 and 2022) if the Knicks got lucky and won the lottery. I think that's actually a fair deal, though I'd fight to remove that protection. They also didn't throw Robinson in the deal because they wanted to give AD the option of playing PF and not C. I'm still OK if that happens.

Only twist I'd add to this scenario, is I'd absolutely turn around and flip Porzingis at the deadline (or even this summer) if there's any hint that he's not interested in a long term commitment to New Orleans. If he gives me one of those sad faced pressed conferences after the trade, or isn't immediately out hanging with locals and loving the place... I'd flip him. But I might hold him only until he proves he's healthy and an A+ asset again.

Ugh. The Gordon mess was so deflating. Crazy to think about how the Saints are a team people want to come to and stay at and the Pels aren't. Same ownership. Same sad history. Same small market. The difference became coaching and winning.....and I guess a superstar who can take over and command.

But that's hope. Find the right coach and start creating that culture.

Thread Information