Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting Tatum

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Getting Tatum

https://youtu.be/uJD7gcpc4lg just as a Rookie the kid schooled so many stars in the league. It’s critical we get him for AD. He won’t be AD but if we add him and 2-3 other really good pieces who knows what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need Tatum and Brown from them at least, and they can be our wings for the future. Jalen Brown is not having the same season that he had last year, but he's solid and still young. Those 2 along with Jrue, and if we could get a solid 4 and 5 to go with them that's a good young foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    We need Tatum and Brown from them at least, and they can be our wings for the future. Jalen Brown is not having the same season that he had last year, but he's solid and still young. Those 2 along with Jrue, and if we could get a solid 4 and 5 to go with them that's a good young foundation.
    Between them and Jrue you would have the 1-3 completely covered for the next 5 years.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I don't think it's likely Boston will give up both Tatum and Brown. I think a package of Tatum + Smart with MEM + SAC picks is a fair way to start. Obviously we can hope for more but that definitely beats the LAL package and that's all Boston really has to do at this point.

I'm just a bit worried Boston will be reluctant to give up Tatum if he does really well in the playoffs again. From their perspective, is AD really worth all that we are asking for? Tatum is very likely to turn into a top 10-15 player in the NBA and they've still got him on a rookie contract. And can they beat the LAL offer without Tatum? Hopefully the Knicks are aggressive to force Boston to go all out or the Lakers players continue to improve. I think if push comes to shove they will give up Tatum to try to compete for a championship and keep Kyrie but I don't think it's a guarantee that they do.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Ainge has been wet for AD since he came into the league. No question in my mind we should be able to get Tatum + Brown + Memphis pick + other first rounder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Ainge has been wet for AD since he came into the league. No question in my mind we should be able to get Tatum + Brown + Memphis pick + other first rounder
    Odds are VERY HIGH that Boaton will NOT have Memphis pick! What then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What do you mean? I thought it was top-8 protected in 2019, top-6 protected in 2020, and unprotected in 2021. Do they lose the pick or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Brown's been playing really well for a while now. Here's a bit from a good article about him:

"If you raved about Jaylen Brown during the 2018 NBA Playoffs, you’d better be raving about him again right now.

Because he’s even better now than he was then.

Over the last eight weeks, Brown has racked up more impressive numbers than he did last postseason, when he served as one of the go-to options on a team that reached the brink of the NBA Finals. Brown’s rough start to this season is long gone. He’s moved on to bigger and better things.

Let’s start with the numbers, which have been surging since Dec. 6. Since that date, Brown has recorded nine 20-point games and ranks second on the Celtics, behind only Kyrie Irving, with an average of 19.7 points per 36 minutes."

https://www.nba.com/amp/celtics/news...ving-about-him

You're willing to wait 3 yrs? Memphis is gonna be really bad in 2019 & 2020 ! Or do you try & flip the pick?

They will eventually get it. It is unprotected in the coveted 2021 draft.

You're willing to wait 3 yrs? Memphis is gonna be really bad in 2019 & 2020 ! Or do you try & flip the pick?
    Keep the pick. I don't think we'll be winning a championship before then.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I am well aware of this. We have an arena contract that expires in 2022. Do you really think waiting until Jrue is gone & every other asset we pick-up this year is in flux? Now, if we take the pick & Flip it, then I'm good. I'm not good with waiting 3 yrs.

Keep the pick. I don't think we'll be winning a championship before then.
    If this is your outlook, then you shouldn't waste precious time concerning yourself over it ! Right? Because for the next 3 years it really doesn't matter. Huh!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Coveted 2021 draft? Is there some high school sophomore's I'm not aware of that are gonna shake the earth?

Coveted 2021 draft? Is there some high school sophomore's I'm not aware of that are gonna shake the earth?
    It is expected to be the first draft where players can go straight from high school to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It is expected to be the first draft where players can go straight from high school to the NBA.
    Yeah, been done before. Remember? Certainly NOT a reason to hold that pick. IMHO ! If I can flip it & get another pick this year or Next year, then I'm good. Holding that pick to grab a 17-18 yr old is more than likely another 2-4 yrs before HIS potential makes any difference.

If I am in the minority & that pick is COVETED- think it could get us UP UP UP in this draft ?

It's that impatience that's partially responsible for watching AD go to another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    I don't think it's likely Boston will give up both Tatum and Brown. I think a package of Tatum + Smart with MEM + SAC picks is a fair way to start. Obviously we can hope for more but that definitely beats the LAL package and that's all Boston really has to do at this point.

I'm just a bit worried Boston will be reluctant to give up Tatum if he does really well in the playoffs again. From their perspective, is AD really worth all that we are asking for? Tatum is very likely to turn into a top 10-15 player in the NBA and they've still got him on a rookie contract. And can they beat the LAL offer without Tatum? Hopefully the Knicks are aggressive to force Boston to go all out or the Lakers players continue to improve. I think if push comes to shove they will give up Tatum to try to compete for a championship and keep Kyrie but I don't think it's a guarantee that they do.
    Boston will be betting on themselves and the ability to easily reload around AD. They would have to have Kyrie resigned and the assumption would be the remaining role players would be enough while having their legacy, two superstars,and playing in the East, people will flock to them to join a dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Boston will be betting on themselves and the ability to easily reload around AD. They would have to have Kyrie resigned and the assumption would be the remaining role players would be enough while having their legacy, two superstars,and playing in the East, people will flock to them to join a dynasty.
    Agree. Missing out on AD I think is what Ainge is most concerned with. If he has to overpay a little I think he will, personally.

It's that impatience that's partially responsible for watching AD go to another team.
    Conflation is a bad thing. If we have a target now, that's NOT impatience. So let's wait & maybe get a high school player, after our lease is up & he can play in Seattle.

I think the Celtics four most valuable assets are Tatum, Brown, Memphis pick, and Smart.

The other very unlikely but possible high value asset would be if Sacramento "lucks" into spots 2, 3, or 4 in the upcoming draft lottery. (New Orleans also has to wait for that lottery to see where the Knicks end up.)

Yeah, been done before. Remember? Certainly NOT a reason to hold that pick. IMHO ! If I can flip it & get another pick this year or Next year, then I'm good. Holding that pick to grab a 17-18 yr old is more than likely another 2-4 yrs before HIS potential makes any difference.
    I'm simply answering why the pick is valuable. I'd rather it convey this year though.

I'm simply answering why the pick is valuable. I'd rather it convey this year though.
    I guess what getting at is "If they don't flip it this year or next, then I'm not all that excited about it. Hoping the Pels use it correctly .

I could be totally off on this. Going off "I have too many children" fuzzy memory. But I swear when the Bensons bought the team it was said that they are not big ballers in the NFL but they are essentially heavy hitters money-wise in the NBA. They have yet to attempt to put a good roster together and are committed to this city. Sometimes the roster falls apart or the swing is a miss, but they do swing. It's not fair to compare them to the Shinn Era and I really do have faith in their ability to continue to put effort into a quality product that stays in NOLA.

Thread Information