Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Post-AD Win Streak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BARON01 View Post
    So I guess we are not tanking? We can’t do nothing right.
    In my opinion I really don’t know why we should. Even if we tanked and lost the rest of our games, we would be lucky (unlucky?) to end up with the sixth worst record anyway. Our best chance at getting a replacement star is going to be through the AD trade, not by tanking this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    In my opinion I really don’t know why we should. Even if we tanked and lost the rest of our games, we would be lucky (unlucky?) to end up with the sixth worst record anyway. Our best chance at getting a replacement star is going to be through the AD trade, not by tanking this year.

Not at all. If we tank, and end up with the 6th place projection (which is entirely possible, to be honest, not actually that long of a shot) then we have a 35% chance of a top 4 pick, and a 10% chance at the number 1 pick. That's not actually bad odds at all, especially in this draft where picks 1, 2, and 3 all seem to be superstar calibre.

We don't really have ANY chance to trade for a superstar. Ben Simmons isn't a superstar, Kyrie isn't part of any Boston trade package, Milwaukee isn't giving up Giannis, LA only has Lebron and that defeats the point, etc etc.
    Basketball.

Some joker in the game thread had the audacity to say we are competitive but not contenders.

Harumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not at all. If we tank, and end up with the 6th place projection (which is entirely possible, to be honest, not actually that long of a shot) then we have a 35% chance of a top 4 pick, and a 10% chance at the number 1 pick. That's not actually bad odds at all, especially in this draft where picks 1, 2, and 3 all seem to be superstar calibre.
    So they get what a 35% chance gamble to get a top four player in the draft that is more likely not going to be a superstar for us, and they also continue to build upon this team’s loosing culture, and they empty out some more seats in the SKC, and they loose more season ticket holders. Sounds like a good smart way for this organization to go.

We don't really have ANY chance to trade for a superstar. Ben Simmons isn't a superstar, Kyrie isn't part of any Boston trade package, Milwaukee isn't giving up Giannis, LA only has Lebron and that defeats the point, etc etc.
    I didn’t say superstar. I said star. Big difference. We’ve had two top five superstars on this team since it has moved here from Charlotte, and how has that worked out for us?

Right now I would just love to have a team that should be over .500 each year and in the playoffs. After what we’ve been through as fans with this organization, having a Memphis or Portland like team for a few years would be a nice change of pace for once.

So they get what a 35% chance gamble to get a top four player in the draft that is more likely not going to be a superstar for us, and they also continue to build upon this team’s loosing culture, and they empty out some more seats in the SKC, and they loose more season ticket holders. Sounds like a good smart way for this organization to go.

I didn’t say superstar. I said star. Big difference. We’ve had two top five superstars on this team since it has moved here from Charlotte, and how has that worked out for us?

Right now I would just love to have a team that should be over .500 each year and in the playoffs. After what we’ve been through as fans with this organization, having a Memphis or Portland like team for a few years would be a nice change of pace for once.

Yes, you're right, I apologise that I didn't see the genius of your take, I would definitely like to be poor-to-mediocre for another decade sounds like a ton of fun.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Yes, you're right, I apologise that I didn't see the genius of your take, I would definitely like to be poor-to-mediocre for another decade sounds like a ton of fun.
    Speaking of poor-to-mediocre---> The Lakers are ATROCIOUS ! old Crippled LBJ & AD ain't the elixir . AD goes to LA & becomes Quasi Alpha when LBJ limps away & he will be in Purgatory his entire career. AD is NOt an Alpha dog .

Look this team followed your desired model after loosing CP, and yes they got lucky and was able to draft AD. So how has that worked out for us as fans? At what point where this team not “poor-to-mediocre” over the last seven years? How did it work out last time?

Look this team followed your desired model after loosing CP, and yes they got lucky and was able to draft AD. So how has that worked out for us as fans? At what point where this team not “poor-to-mediocre” over the last seven years? How did it work out last time?

My desired model doesn't include trading our first round pick every single year. I want to build through the draft properly. Dell didn't do that. He got AD and then immediately started trading the future away. That's not my model.

It sure would be funny as hell if Pels go on a run, and make it to the playoffs, while AD is sitting on the bench watching.

I am probably in the small minority that wants this to happen so he looks stupid.

Maybe our depth wasn't getting used properly

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    This is part of why I wanted us to lose tonight, and lose badly. Now that we've won, we're going to have ''maybe we're actually fine, and just need a new coach'' takes for the rest of the season. We'll lose 10 straight later and someone will still be saying ''we do have depth, but Gentry just doesn't know how to use it!'' and nobody will be on board for any kind of rebuild because they'll shift the roster problems onto the coaching staff.

This is part of why I wanted us to lose tonight, and lose badly. Now that we've won, we're going to have ''maybe we're actually fine, and just need a new coach'' takes for the rest of the season. We'll lose 10 straight later and someone will still be saying ''we do have depth, but Gentry just doesn't know how to use it!'' and nobody will be on board for any kind of rebuild because they'll shift the roster problems onto the coaching staff.
    Lol, we only have Okafor, Davis, Hill, Moore, Holiday, and Jackson under contract for next year and you are crying about our roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Lol, we only have Okafor, Davis, Hill, Moore, Holiday, and Jackson under contract for next year and you are crying about our roster.
    Yeah, I think you mis-read my entire point. Our roster sucks, but of course it does, and I don't want to improve it right now. I'm happy to have it suck. I want to tank.

My point is that some people are going to use the fact that ''maybe our depth wasn't getting used properly'' to move the focus away from re-building the team properly, and instead focus their irritation on the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, the coaching staff is bad too, but I don't want the conversation to turn into something that dodges the idea of restructuring the roster in the coming seasons. Again, I know that that won't be too big a problem, because we want to trade Niko/Randle/Moore/AD anyway, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I am probably in the small minority that wants this to happen so he looks stupid.
    I definitely think it would damage his image, which is important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    If the Houston game is any indicator, then I wholeheartedly agree. If against Denver they only score 60pts, then we know they are trash; but if they score over 100 again, surely the brass will have to really assess why these guys are trash with the big 6 in the lineup, and not bad with them out; and whose fault is that.

My desired model doesn't include trading our first round pick every single year. I want to build through the draft properly. Dell didn't do that. He got AD and then immediately started trading the future away. That's not my model.
    I agree with you on the picks, trading away cheap talent for slightly more experienced more expensive talent put the Pels in the financial bind they are in. That being said, draft picks no matter where they are picked are all gambles anyway on whether or not they pan out.

I would like to preface this as well, that even though I don't thank this team should try to tank, I still think they are going to end up somewhere around the sixth to tenth worse team in the league. It isn't like they were winning a ton of games fully healthy, expecting them to win a ton when they don't even have half the talent they had as a .500 club is not realistic.

So IMO the only thing intentionally trying to tank is going to do for this franchise, is run off a few more fans and season ticket buyers; which is not in the best interest of this team, short term or long term.

Woke up this AM and we are still on our win streak. Unbeaten since AD. Take that haters.

The other problem with tanking is that the other teams that we feel like we can tank better than and vault for draft positioning are also slowly realizing they need to tank.

It's funny, the lotto was supposed to discourage those few teams that would tank each season but now it has almost half the league wanting to tank because if you just get down to 6 you have a chance. Haha.

it would really be hilarious if we sis start winning with out him then he comes back and start losing

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    it would really be hilarious if we sis start winning with out him then he comes back and start losing

Maybe this should be Jrue's team. It's possible the lack of focus on defense was due to the elephant in the room named Rich Paul. Now that everyone can see it they can just relax and play ball. Except everything runs through Jrue and Okafor now. The inside out game has been working.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Maybe this should be Jrue's team. It's possible the lack of focus on defense was due to the elephant in the room named Rich Paul. Now that everyone can see it they can just relax and play ball. Except everything runs through Jrue and Okafor now. The inside out game has been working.
    they did look good last those 2 pretty much closed the game out for us

Yeah, I think you mis-read my entire point. Our roster sucks, but of course it does, and I don't want to improve it right now. I'm happy to have it suck. I want to tank.

My point is that some people are going to use the fact that ''maybe our depth wasn't getting used properly'' to move the focus away from re-building the team properly, and instead focus their irritation on the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, the coaching staff is bad too, but I don't want the conversation to turn into something that dodges the idea of restructuring the roster in the coming seasons. Again, I know that that won't be too big a problem, because we want to trade Niko/Randle/Moore/AD anyway, but still.
    Bring the tank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2017058-0D12DD6500000578-789_634x454.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	6382

Weeeeeell ok.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Weeeeeell ok.

/thread
    That was quick LOL

If they keep playing like this they will win more than they lose I think, which doesn't help the tank.

Thread Information