Pelicans Report

Thread: Serious Question: If Boston REALLY wants Davis...

Serious Question: If Boston REALLY wants Davis...

It seems clear that today's announcement by Rich Paul and Klutch Sports is designed to short-circuit Boston's bid to land AD. With the restrictions on Boston's ability to trade for both Kyrie and Davis due to league rules, the C's face the prospect of missing out for good on a player they've been plotting to land for years now.

Do desperate times call for desperate measures? The Pels main interest from the Celts is Jayson Tatum and multiple draft picks + some supporting pieces. So, to get Davis as the anchor of your franchise possibly for the next decade, the Celtics need to get creative.

Trade Kyrie, Tatum and Brown or Smart + 3 first rounders to the Pels for Davis + Hill (trade machine approved!). The Pels get the key guy they want in a trade + picks. The C's perhaps sacrifice this season to get Davis on board.

The key is at the end of the season Kyrie opts out of his deal and heads back to Boson, either as a free agent or in a sign-and-trade. Obviously all this is predicated on Kyrie wanting to resign with Boston. But the Celtics whole plan is predicated on that foundation. If Kyrie doesn't want to resign with Boston, trading him now makes no difference. If he does want to play with Davis in Boston, then he's going to resign with them in the offseason. Doesn't seem like that much of a risk for Boston, other than disrupting this year's team. But, again, if Boston wants to get Davis, they may need to get creative and you'd still be adding AD to a squad that made it to the Eastern Conference finals last year (minus Tatum, of course).

I'm sure there is a big flaw in here somewhere. Tell me why this isn't a viable gambit.

Weather

I'm going on four hours sleep so this may be off but isn't there a rule saying a player can't resign with a team that traded him for a certain amount of time?

Only in the NBA would that need to be a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm going on four hours sleep so this may be off but isn't there a rule saying a player can't resign with a team that traded him for a certain amount of time?

Only in the NBA would that need to be a rule.
    I seem to think there is a rule about that, but I can't actually remember so I could be wrong.
    Basketball.

I thought that applied to a player that is waived or bought out, but I could be wrong. Here Kyrie would become a free agent on July 1 when his contract expires and it's not in the same season as the trade.
    Last edited by new city champ; 01-28-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Not going to look it up, but with Davis, Horford, and Hayward, there's no way they'd have the cap room to sign Kyrie outright (not to mention Kyrie would be losing years and millions off his deal so not sure he'd be ok with that plan) and over the cap teams don't really have the sign and trade flexibility that they used to.

How long is Tatum locked up for? I'm just dreading trading for him or Simmons and they Eric Gordon us.

Thread Information