Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Please... not the draft thread too...
    idgaf about DJ Augustine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3122954f77d2231e1a86351876f723eaf427b155470cd87ff98794d9bc1fb263.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	6402

What are some of you guys' thoughts on some of the older players in the draft? I know that, all other things being equal, the younger player is the one you want because younger players means a higher likelihood of untapped potential, the possibility of further physical growth, and the elongation of their career (a player comes in at 18, you can have them for 15 years and they're still a reasonable age at 33: if they come in at 22, 15 years later they're 37 and probably out of the league).

But if we were to ignore that, and just look at some of the older players in this upcoming draft, are there any names you like? This question was spurred by seeing a few people talking about Brandon Clarke being this draft's untapped superstar, or some sort of sleeper pick. Clarke is, however, 22 years old, and will be 23 at the time of his first NBA game due to a September birthday. Does anyone think that it's worth drafting someone that'll be 23 years old, even if they're the best player in the draft, when a player that's 70% as good but only 19 will have the time to grow as a player?

Some of the older players in this draft, and their stats, just in case you're interested - at given is the age at time of first game:

Brandon Clarke, 23: 16.6pts, 8.5rbds, 1.7asts, 1.2stls, 3.1blks, 2.3 PFs, 68.8% FG%, 30.8% from 3. ORTG of 140.1, DRTG of 83.9 for a Net RTG of 56.2. PER of 37.2, 0.343 WS/40, 18.9 BPM, only a 23.6% usage rate.

DeAndre Hunter, 21 (barely): 15.4pts, 5.2rbds, 2.3asts, 0.6stls, 0.5blks, 54.7% FG%, 48.7% from 3. ORTG of 131.6, DRTG of 90.8 for a Net RTG of 40.8. PER of 26.9, 0.280 WS/40, 12.9 BPM, 24.3% usage rate.

Rui Hachimura, 21: 20.6pts, 6.7rbds, 1.6asts, 1.0stls, 0.7blks, 61.3% FG%, 46.7% from 3. ORTG of 129.3, DRTG of 91.1 for a Net RTG of 38.2. PER of 30.8, 0.288 WS/40, 9.4 BPM, 28.1% usage rate.

Bruno Fernando, 21: 14.0pts, 10.5rbds, 2.0asts, 0.6stls, 1.9blks, 62.4% FG%, 25% from 3. ORTG of 119.9, DRTG of 91.5 for a Net RTG of 28.4. PER of 28.8, 0.230 WS/40, 13.1 BPM, 23.4% usage rate.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    There's a little bit of LaMarcus Aldridge to Hachimura's game. Like if Aldridge were smaller and had more wing-like quickness and handle.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    What are some of you guys' thoughts on some of the older players in the draft? I know that, all other things being equal, the younger player is the one you want because younger players means a higher likelihood of untapped potential, the possibility of further physical growth, and the elongation of their career (a player comes in at 18, you can have them for 15 years and they're still a reasonable age at 33: if they come in at 22, 15 years later they're 37 and probably out of the league).

But if we were to ignore that, and just look at some of the older players in this upcoming draft, are there any names you like? This question was spurred by seeing a few people talking about Brandon Clarke being this draft's untapped superstar, or some sort of sleeper pick. Clarke is, however, 22 years old, and will be 23 at the time of his first NBA game due to a September birthday. Does anyone think that it's worth drafting someone that'll be 23 years old, even if they're the best player in the draft, when a player that's 70% as good but only 19 will have the time to grow as a player?

Some of the older players in this draft, and their stats, just in case you're interested - at given is the age at time of first game:

Brandon Clarke, 23: 16.6pts, 8.5rbds, 1.7asts, 1.2stls, 3.1blks, 2.3 PFs, 68.8% FG%, 30.8% from 3. ORTG of 140.1, DRTG of 83.9 for a Net RTG of 56.2. PER of 37.2, 0.343 WS/40, 18.9 BPM, only a 23.6% usage rate.

DeAndre Hunter, 21 (barely): 15.4pts, 5.2rbds, 2.3asts, 0.6stls, 0.5blks, 54.7% FG%, 48.7% from 3. ORTG of 131.6, DRTG of 90.8 for a Net RTG of 40.8. PER of 26.9, 0.280 WS/40, 12.9 BPM, 24.3% usage rate.

Rui Hachimura, 21: 20.6pts, 6.7rbds, 1.6asts, 1.0stls, 0.7blks, 61.3% FG%, 46.7% from 3. ORTG of 129.3, DRTG of 91.1 for a Net RTG of 38.2. PER of 30.8, 0.288 WS/40, 9.4 BPM, 28.1% usage rate.

Bruno Fernando, 21: 14.0pts, 10.5rbds, 2.0asts, 0.6stls, 1.9blks, 62.4% FG%, 25% from 3. ORTG of 119.9, DRTG of 91.5 for a Net RTG of 28.4. PER of 28.8, 0.230 WS/40, 13.1 BPM, 23.4% usage rate.
    Cameron Johnson. N.C. Sr. He will be an NBA rotational guy for a decade. So under the radar, it's scary. Although he was ranked 58th 1 month ago. He's now in the mid 30's. I watched him play against Va & Duke (1st game). He's a playa!

I like Rui , But I like Clarke more. Athletic, instinctual & can leap out the gym. I know older guys make you iffy, but he's going to be a keeper.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-09-2019 at 10:35 PM.

About 3 weeks ago, when he was mid- 2nd level, I told Mythrol to look at film of Jalen McDaniel SDS . Now, he's project mid-late 1st. He's a sophomore , so I don't know if that counts as older.
    Also, Admiral Schofield - Sr. Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There's a little bit of LaMarcus Aldridge to Hachimura's game. Like if Aldridge were smaller and had more wing-like quickness and handle.
    Yes, a very little bit. And I do mean very.

Bill Walton. is an absolute treasure.
    He makes watching PAC 12 games glorious.
    I hope he's not nixed when his becomes coach of UCLA .

Sign me all the way up for DeAndre Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Sign me all the way up for DeAndre Hunter
    Watching Hunter play, I think he has a much lower ceiling than a lot of the other prospects, but a much higher floor as well.

Someone like, for example, Langford, I can see ending up as a star or easily busting out quickly. I can't see Hunter ever being an MVP level player, but I think he's not gonna bust at all.

Watching Hunter play, I think he has a much lower ceiling than a lot of the other prospects, but a much higher floor as well.

Someone like, for example, Langford, I can see ending up as a star or easily busting out quickly. I can't see Hunter ever being an MVP level player, but I think he's not gonna bust at all.
    Completely agree. I think he's just gonna be good. I don't think he has any chance of being great, but I don't see many career paths that don't lead to him being in the league and contributing for a decade. Obviously I don't want to use a top 5 pick on him, but if we're sitting around 12 I would be ecstatic to pick him up.

Side note: out on Romeo Langford. I see a lot of Collin Sexton in him, except Sexton looked like he had more drive in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Completely agree. I think he's just gonna be good. I don't think he has any chance of being great, but I don't see many career paths that don't lead to him being in the league and contributing for a decade. Obviously I don't want to use a top 5 pick on him, but if we're sitting around 12 I would be ecstatic to pick him up.

Side note: out on Romeo Langford. I see a lot of Collin Sexton in him, except Sexton looked like he had more drive in college.
    I have a feeling Hunter will go somewhere between 7th and 12th, and there are people I like more at that kind of number, but I do agree. If we take Boston's trade, for example, and end up with the 14th pick from SAC or something, and he's somehow available there, I'd snap him up.

I really don't understand Langford's hype at all. Just watching him leaves me cold. There's no way I can deny certain skills he has, but there's nothing in his game at all that makes me think of him as a serious top prospect. No idea why so many people have him going maybe as high as 5th.

We shouldn't be bringing in any players who has questionable drives and effort. Our last franchise player has had questions about his effort and alpha state so I'm focused more on BBIQ, character, and drive this time around for any prospect. Langford, and Reddish is a no go for me.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I like KZ Okpala's game. Think he'd be a good fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I like KZ Okpala's game. Think he'd be a good fit for us.
    Okpala moves like a poor man's Culver, in my view. I like him, but I don't think I'd him above 12th or so, and we should have at least one of our picks be before that.

Okpala moves like a poor man's Culver, in my view. I like him, but I don't think I'd him above 12th or so, and we should have at least one of our picks be before that.
    I should clarify:

If we get to our pick, and Zion, Barrett, Morant, Culver, Bol Bol, Brandon Clarke, Jaxson Hayes, and DeAndre Hunter are all already gone, then I take Okpala.

I should clarify:

If we get to our pick, and Zion, Barrett, Morant, Culver, Bol Bol, Brandon Clarke, Jaxson Hayes, and DeAndre Hunter are all already gone, then I take Okpala.
    Jaxson Hayes is 2-3 yrs away from being a constant rotational player. Nowhere near ready .
    You may want to dig into Bol Bol's injury a bit. It can be very fickle, especially in taller players.
    It can & has derailed careers. Not all, but some.
    It's very uncommon in NBA players. 7 names were given & it derailed 3 of them .
    Yao Ming, Zadrunis Ilgouskis, Brendan Haywood, Embiid, Marc Gasol, Quincy Pondexter & Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-13-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Jaxson Hayes is 2-3 yrs away from being a constant rotational player. Nowhere near ready .
    You may want to dig into Bol Bol's injury a bit. It can be very fickle, especially in taller players.
    It can & has derailed careers. Not all, but some.
    It's very uncommon in NBA players. 7 names were given & it derailed 3 of them .
    I am aware that Hayes is very, very raw. His measurables are fantastic though, and he does have some legitimate skills. He's also very young. I don't mind so much if a player has some development to do when he's 18 years old. Okpala will be 20 on draft night and while that's not old by any means, it is older.

I am also aware of Bol Bol's injury. That's why I don't have him over Culver, even though I think he probably has a higher ceiling. But I'm willing to take that risk at between 10th and 14th (assuming we get another pick for this draft other than our own) because of how high his ceiling is.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    We shouldn't be bringing in any players who has questionable drives and effort. Our last franchise player has had questions about his effort and alpha state so I'm focused more on BBIQ, character, and drive this time around for any prospect. Langford, and Reddish is a no go for me.
    Totally agree. IQ-Alpha

After missing a bunch of games, Zion returns against Syracuse. It's only halftime at time of me posting this, and Zion has 21 points, 9 rebounds, 5 steals. He's shot 9 of 9 from the floor and hit his only three.

After missing a bunch of games, Zion returns against Syracuse. It's only halftime at time of me posting this, and Zion has 21 points, 9 rebounds, 5 steals. He's shot 9 of 9 from the floor and hit his only three.
    If Reddish is literally his listed 6'8", then Zion ain't 6'7". He's at least 6'8".

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If Reddish is literally his listed 6'8", then Zion ain't 6'7". He's at least 6'8".
    I know. I've basically started just ignoring the majority of listed heights because they're so rarely correct. Zion is clearly 6'8 or 6'9, not 6'7. Durant is clearly 7'0, not 6'9. AD is clearly 7'0, not 6'10. It's just nonsense.

We will know Zion's exact height at the combine when he gets measured. They aren't faking those numbers. The issue with AD or Durant is they kept growing after joining the league and never updated their recorded height because why?.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We will know Zion's exact height at the combine when he gets measured. They aren't faking those numbers. The issue with AD or Durant is they kept growing after joining the league and never updated their recorded height because why?.

AD is on record saying he knows he's taller than 6'10, but claims he's 6'10 because saying he's 6'11 or 7'0 makes him feel like he will be perceived as a centre, and he hates playing centre. That was on a late night show, Jimmy Kimmel maybe? Can't remember.

I'm pretty sure KD is also on record somewhere saying he goes with 6'9 instead of 7'0 because he knows that 6'9 is more normal height for a small forward, which is his preferred role. I couldn't tell you where that's from though.

While we're here as well, I might as well add that while Culver is listed at 6'6 right now, I'm absolutely sure that he's more like 6'8. Just seeing him stood next to some of his teammates who are listed at 6'10 like Tariq Owens, unless he's wearing shoes with 3 inch soles and Owens is wearing shoes with soles thinner than a credit card, there is no way Culver is 4-5'' shorter.

The Jimmy Kimmel show is where AD used a tape measure to prove he wasn't 7ft tall.

Like I said though, we will know his real height in a few weeks. They so with shoes and without shoes measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Jimmy Kimmel show is where AD used a tape measure to prove he wasn't 7ft tall.

Like I said though, we will know his real height in a few weeks. They so with shoes and without shoes measurements.

Yeah, I just rewatched the clip. And they proclaimed him to be 6'11, next to the measuring stick. Now, how official that is, is kinda impossible to say. The viewer doesn't get a direct, straight-on angle of the shot, and he's wearing shoes, which all indicates that maybe he's shorter than that, but on the other hand, he's also clearly not stood up straight and certainly doesn't have his head level and his shoulders back.

Given that, I think 6'11 or 6'11.5 is a pretty fair estimate of AD's height. And he's listed at 6'10.

I honestly think NBA players should have their heights re-recorded when they hit 25. I wouldn't make it mandatory, obviously you can't really force people to get measured that's a ridiculous standard, but we're all so familiar with just ignoring heights now because of how wildly they can vary between draft night at age 18 and being 25, it would be a good way to know what the rough final adult height of a player is.

Thread Information