Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NBA Draft Hopes

2019 NBA Draft Hopes

So, with the news that AD is gone, it's pretty fair to assume we're going to keep our first round pick, and very probably get another one (or potentially two) in any deal for him. So, given that that's the case, who do we want?

Right now, Tankathon has us predicted to get the 10th overall pick. Obviously now that the tank is going to pick up, that will probably improve: I can see us leapfrogging Detroit and Washington with very little trouble, and I wouldn't be too shocked if we moved ahead of Memphis and Orlando as well. Given that there's a range of possibilities, but that we are pretty much guaranteed not to get a top three pick with our own choice, what I want to know is this: who do we want?

Say we end up with the 7th overall pick, with our own first rounder. We will have other picks, but this is the only one we can be sure of. Who are your top 5 guys to look out for? Obviously Zion and RJ Barrett are most people's top names, but they will almost certainly be gone by the 5th pick, so they're off limits.

NBA Draft currently has us taking Bruno Fernando at 10th. What do people think of that suggestion? I don't watch college basketball, so I'm asking from a position of almost complete ignorance.

Other names currently floating around between 7-15 include Cameron Reddish, KZ Okpala, Nassir Little, Sekou Doumbouya, Jarrett Culver, and Romeo Langford. Any interest in any of those names?

If you're the GM, expecting a pick somewhere between 5th and 10th, what does your draft board look like? What names are you prioritising?
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I want the PG from Murray State, Ja Morant. He is a franchise type player.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I want the PG from Murray State, Ja Morant. He is a franchise type player.
    I've heard a lot of good stuff, but he's also predicted to go first overall right now by NBA Draft, and generally top 3 by everywhere else. If we end up getting one of those high picks in a trade, that might happen, but it's pretty much impossible with our own pick.

Lol. I am ignorant on this front and want you guys to discuss more so can educate myself. People are throwing out the "Zion for AD" trade hopes.....is there anyone else we may target?

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Lol. I am ignorant on this front and want you guys to discuss more so can educate myself. People are throwing out the "Zion for AD" trade hopes.....is there anyone else we may target?
    Since posting this, frankly ignorant, thread in the first place, I've been doing a little research, watched probably 4 hours worth of highlight clips, read a bunch of draft projections and scouting analyses, and I feel like I'm slightly more qualified. I am no expert and anyone who has genuinely followed college basketball will probably know more than me, but here's some rough stuff that seems to be the case:

The big three of this draft seem to be Zion, RJ Barrett, and Ja Morant. None of them can shoot, but they all have a lot of athleticism and upside, and in the case of Zion, that athleticism and upside seems to be top top top level.

Beyond those three, I think it depends on what position you're going for. If we were to go for a SG, I think I like Jarrett Culver. He's listed at 6'5 but honestly he looks like he's more like 6'7 or maybe even 6'8, and he's shooting 38% from 3 with a nice stroke. He's a little turnover prone and he's a streaky shooter, but I think he has real potential. His defense is, again, a little inconsistent but he's shown some potential on that front, and I think he could be a guy to look into. Tankathon currently has him going 5th to the Hawks, but I could see him dropping a little and he could be possible.

At SF, I kind of like DeAndre Hunter. He's currently predicted to go 9th to the Pistons, and he's a little old at 21 already, but he's shooting 53% from the floor, 42% from three, is 6'7 with a 7'2 wingspan, and has a ridiculous net rating.

I have to admit that I haven't really looked deep into centres or power forwards yet, but there seems to be a some good options there too. Apparently Bol Bol is in this draft, I forgot about him entirely. I'd consider looking at him if we wanted to go with a big man, especially since he's shooting 52% from three, but his sample size is pretty small and he's so thin I'd worry about him every time he took to the court.

I would trade AD for Zion+package. Then trade part of that package to swap our pick with the 2nd pick, and take Morant. We leave this draft with a franchise forward and a franchise point guard.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I would trade AD for Zion+package. Then trade part of that package to swap our pick with the 2nd pick, and take Morant. We leave this draft with a franchise forward and a franchise point guard.
    I love the way you think, fam!

I don't know college ball at all. I've looked at Zion a bit and his weight concerns me but can't deny his ability. What's the story on Morant? He really a franchise PG?

I was thinking about this too, is Zion just a shorter Kenneth Faried? Maybe even a Julius Randle? I almost hope we don't get the first pick because he seems like the ultimate high risk player.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't know college ball at all. I've looked at Zion a bit and his weight concerns me but can't deny his ability. What's the story on Morant? He really a franchise PG?

I was thinking about this too, is Zion just a shorter Kenneth Faried? Maybe even a Julius Randle? I almost hope we don't get the first pick because he seems like the ultimate high risk player.
    As far as the Faried comparison . 100% NO . However, there are many college analyst (some that I really like) Bilas, Frischilla et al have stated that Zion is definitely your WOWWW guy, but Barrett could be the better NBA player. Bodybuild, length ,more polished . Not near as explosive, but basically does everything else at a higher level (NBA style).
    I have watch Ja Morant several times & he is a Damien Lillard ,but quicker & actually doesn't mind playing defense. He's the real deal.
    ZION will be the immediate "Tails in the seats" kinda guy & he's gonna be really good. Can't imagine getting in front of that freight train to take a charge.
    I'll take ZION or Barrett, but I think Morant Would be a DAY 1 impact PG. Those are hard to find. .

Wow. Yeah. Somehow getting two of those would be an excellent consolation prize and great hope for the future. Scary going to the draft. Nabbing two is a pipe dream. Why did you go and get me dreaming, Houston? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    As far as the Faried comparison . 100% NO . However, there are many college analyst (some that I really like) Bilas, Frischilla et al have stated that Zion is definitely your WOWWW guy, but Barrett could be the better NBA player. Bodybuild, length ,more polished . Not near as explosive, but basically does everything else at a higher level (NBA style).
    I have watch Ja Morant several times & he is a Damien Lillard ,but quicker & actually doesn't mind playing defense. He's the real deal.
    ZION will be the immediate "Tails in the seats" kinda guy & he's gonna be really good. Can't imagine getting in front of that freight train to take a charge.
    I'll take ZION or Barrett, but I think Morant Would be a DAY 1 impact PG. Those are hard to find. .
    I mean if Morant and Lillard are in the same sentence sign me up. I'm not sold on Zion at all. He actually really concerns me.

I mean if Morant and Lillard are in the same sentence sign me up. I'm not sold on Zion at all. He actually really concerns me.
    Keep pulling for LBJ's groin to keep pullin. The more the Lakers lose, the more likely it is that we can get someone in the top 2-4 (wherever) we think we need to be, to bite on OUR 2 Lottery picks to get Morant. So,if we have to do business with LA, Ball will not be involved.
    I'm hoping we actually deal with Boston & they have Sac Pick & hopefully Clipper pick. & we can use 3 1st Rd picks to move up for Ja Morant----Tatum,Brown & Rozier. It's a start.

Mythrol, you should go to. HoopsHabit . Very good insight & gives 10 teams that should offer & what they should offer for AD. It really shows how much the Lakers trade pieces is steaming pile of Tripe. Lot of interesting trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Mythrol, you should go to. HoopsHabit . Very good insight & gives 10 teams that should offer & what they should offer for AD. It really shows how much the Lakers trade pieces is steaming pile of Tripe. Lot of interesting trades.
    I'll check it out. Thanks.

I'll check it out. Thanks.
    I was drawn to the Denver & Toronto scenarios !

But , it's like swinging at a piñata at a party until we know the Brass. You take players to run a style of play. Are we under the assumption that Gentry is coming back? Oh lawd.
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-29-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Morant is a stud. He was not ranked coming out of college, many say because he was so skinny. He was discovered by Murray State scout, while at a high profile camp where he wasnt selected to play with the best. So he was just playing 3 on 3 on another camp, when the scout was literally just looking for the food. Saw him play and immediately called the head coach and said this kid is going to be an NBA player.

Fast forward he had a solid freshman campaign and exploded his sophomore year. He has Westbrook athleticism, Kyrie handles, and Rondo vision. Amazing feel for the game. A natural leader. At the end of this clip at 5:25 https://youtu.be/_JCZHEwvI3s , you'll see he had a different handshake with every one of his teammates. I know that may seem like nothing. But to me that shows that he has built relationships with each of his teammates and that his IQ is amazing to remember the different ones for different players. He's going to be a quarterback.

As for Zion, I had worries about his weight as well. But he's such a freak I don't think it will be an issue going forward. Like Morant he's a likeable guy and natural leader. Zion literally gets along with everyone. He has a much higher IQ and better defensively than Randle or Faried. His drive is going to make him a great player. He needs to improve his shooting but he's a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Wow. Yeah. Somehow getting two of those would be an excellent consolation prize and great hope for the future. Scary going to the draft. Nabbing two is a pipe dream. Why did you go and get me dreaming, Houston? Lol
    Lol hey if we're going to be trading a top 5 player who's only 25 years old this summer, we should be able to make some dreams come true.

In one post, claim that you don't know college basketball really well and basically haven't watched Zion beyond highlights.

Next post, say that Zion concerns you..

That checks out.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Bruno Fernando looks very good. If we have two lotto picks I’d consider him as a later lotto pick. The player that I think is going to be the best in this draft is Barrett. Watch him. He’s very quick and can score anywhere at any moment. He is a natural. He will be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Rui Hachimura from Gonzaga looks very good. He gave Duke a lot of problems. Look up that game. It’s on YouTube. Ja Morant is pretty impressive. Zion looks like Charles Barkley. I think we are in position to have a successful rebuild. We have a lot of pieces to work with lots of possibilities. I’m gonna watch these college players closely. If Zion develops a 3point shot and loses a little weight I will pray we get him. He is perfect for a team that’s losing AD. But seriously, it’s very possible for the PELS to get two impact players in this draft. We need to clean house across the board.

Morant is a stud. He was not ranked coming out of college, many say because he was so skinny. He was discovered by Murray State scout, while at a high profile camp where he wasnt selected to play with the best. So he was just playing 3 on 3 on another camp, when the scout was literally just looking for the food. Saw him play and immediately called the head coach and said this kid is going to be an NBA player.

Fast forward he had a solid freshman campaign and exploded his sophomore year. He has Westbrook athleticism, Kyrie handles, and Rondo vision. Amazing feel for the game. A natural leader. At the end of this clip at 5:25 https://youtu.be/_JCZHEwvI3s , you'll see he had a different handshake with every one of his teammates. I know that may seem like nothing. But to me that shows that he has built relationships with each of his teammates and that his IQ is amazing to remember the different ones for different players. He's going to be a quarterback.

As for Zion, I had worries about his weight as well. But he's such a freak I don't think it will be an issue going forward. Like Morant he's a likeable guy and natural leader. Zion literally gets along with everyone. He has a much higher IQ and better defensively than Randle or Faried. His drive is going to make him a great player. He needs to improve his shooting but he's a stud.
    All these guys nobody wants from the Lakers were all studs in college too

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    In one post, claim that you don't know college basketball really well and basically haven't watched Zion beyond highlights.

Next post, say that Zion concerns you..

That checks out.

Bol Bol or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Bol Bol or gtfo
    Don't mock, Raw, but he can play!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Rui Hachimura from Gonzaga looks very good. He gave Duke a lot of problems. Look up that game. It’s on YouTube. Ja Morant is pretty impressive. Zion looks like Charles Barkley. I think we are in position to have a successful rebuild. We have a lot of pieces to work with lots of possibilities. I’m gonna watch these college players closely. If Zion develops a 3point shot and loses a little weight I will pray we get him. He is perfect for a team that’s losing AD. But seriously, it’s very possible for the PELS to get two impact players in this draft. We need to clean house across the board.

I am also on the Rui Hachimura train. He's the type of guy that can help fit into the culture we build with hopefully Tatum and Smart. Hard worker, had to carve out his own path coming from Japan, overcame the language barrier and is leading his team. He's still only 20 with a great physical build. He's definitely one of my favorites of all of the guys being discussed in the 8-14 range.

Thread Information