Pelicans Report

Thread: Jahlil Okafor

Jahlil Okafor

Is his career headed the route of Hassan Whiteside, where it starts uneventful, but once he finds his spot he blossoms into the player everyone thought he could be?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basketball Guru
    im trying to figure out how diallo was getting minutes over him early this season.....what did gentry not see in him early this season that he was not doing better than diallo.....him being force to play was a blessing for him..and for us i think

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    im trying to figure out how diallo was getting minutes over him early this season.....what did gentry not see in him early this season that he was not doing better than diallo.....him being force to play was a blessing for him..and for us i think
    maybe motivation to work harder

Could be. Obviously a 4 game sample size is just 4 games, but over the last four he's put up:

25 pts / 15 rebounds / 4 blocks / 83% from the floor
    18 pts / 8 rebounds / 0 blocks / 75% from the floor
    17 pts / 10 rebounds / 6 blocks / 62% from the floor
    20 pts / 10 rebounds / 2 blocks / 82% from the floor

That's pretty impressive. And he's done it with a much improved defense. Obviously he's not in the running for DPOY or anything, but opponents have shot 0.7% worse than their averages against Okafor this season, 3.9% worse on 2 pointers overall, and a brilliant 11.2% worse than their averages within 3 feet of the basket. That's actually some pretty impressive rim protection, and the numbers hold up for him out to around 10-15 feet. Beyond that, people shoot better (he still has trouble defending in space and on the perimeter) but he's definitely not haemorrhaging points like he used to.

The only real knock I have against him is that he doesn't pass well. Like, at all. And if that's the only problem, at the age of 23 having been given almost no playing time for literally years at this point, I think he's doing great.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    maybe motivation to work harder
    if it was just defense i get that but the dude is a beast in the paint and always had offensive skills for a offensive coach like gentry....im pretty sure he was playing bully ball against AD,,randall and niko in the paint and scoring on them at practice......i just dont get why he couldnt be on the floor to collapse the defense for niko and miller to shoot open 3s over diallo early on...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Could be. Obviously a 4 game sample size is just 4 games, but over the last four he's put up:

25 pts / 15 rebounds / 4 blocks / 83% from the floor
    18 pts / 8 rebounds / 0 blocks / 75% from the floor
    17 pts / 10 rebounds / 6 blocks / 62% from the floor
    20 pts / 10 rebounds / 2 blocks / 82% from the floor

That's pretty impressive. And he's done it with a much improved defense. Obviously he's not in the running for DPOY or anything, but opponents have shot 0.7% worse than their averages against Okafor this season, 3.9% worse on 2 pointers overall, and a brilliant 11.2% worse than their averages within 3 feet of the basket. That's actually some pretty impressive rim protection, and the numbers hold up for him out to around 10-15 feet. Beyond that, people shoot better (he still has trouble defending in space and on the perimeter) but he's definitely not haemorrhaging points like he used to.

The only real knock I have against him is that he doesn't pass well. Like, at all. And if that's the only problem, at the age of 23 having been given almost no playing time for literally years at this point, I think he's doing great.

and he need to learn how to rebound better....he face guard his man to block out instead of blocking out with his back and trying to get the defensive rebound....he has got a whole better at blocking out for defensive rebounds lately....

im just happy for him and hope he continual making progress..

Small sample size, but with starter's minutes he looks like a productive big, a potential 20-10 guy per 36 and a valuable rotation big. Will see if that holds up, but he certainly seems in better shape, better feet and handle than when he was with Philly or Brooklyn. Commentators kept saying he was about to "get paid" but don't we have a favorable option on him next year. Not saying we wouldn't re-do his contract, but that negotiation might get sticky if he keeps playing like this. Also could be a chip at the deadline, though he's obviously young enough to figure into any rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Small sample size, but with starter's minutes he looks like a productive big, a potential 20-10 guy per 36 and a valuable rotation big. Will see if that holds up, but he certainly seems in better shape, better feet and handle than when he was with Philly or Brooklyn. Commentators kept saying he was about to "get paid" but don't we have a favorable option on him next year. Not saying we wouldn't re-do his contract, but that negotiation might get sticky if he keeps playing like this. Also could be a chip at the deadline, though he's obviously young enough to figure into any rebuild.
    We have an option to retain him next year for $1.7m.
    Super bargain, tbh.

I'm pretty sure you don't re-negotiate contracts in the NBA. Yep, he's locked up for a bargain price

In a just world, Hill would be swapping contracts with him

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    He gonna be taking AD's place next season.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

I like what I am seeing out of him. Maybe he is a solid piece to work with next season, like a Matt Frieje type.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    The fact we have a team option on his contract for next year is incredible. I want Demps gone but man this was a hell of a signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    The fact we have a team option on his contract for next year is incredible. I want Demps gone but man this was a hell of a signing.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's hip to be square!

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    It's hip to be square!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DyIeGdzWoAAMKnL.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	6381

Everyone says Gentry's system makes PGs look good... Maybe Gentry's system makes Bigs look good.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Everyone says Gentry's system makes PGs look good... Maybe Gentry's system makes Bigs look good.
    Maybe we've been trying to conform a Beta into an Alpha, when Jrue is the Alpha. Maybe this team will flow much more freely with 5 great athletes running the court with NO built-in BALL MAGNET on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Maybe we've been trying to conform a Beta into an Alpha, when Jrue is the Alpha. Maybe this team will flow much more freely with 5 great athletes running the court with NO built-in BALL MAGNET on the court.
    I wasn't gonna say it. Thanks for saying it for me.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    His system made Amare Staudemire an MVP candidate.

The slower tempo seems to favor this team. I never understood the extreme fast tempo Gentry employs. They looked so under control last night and does anyone else feel the Pelicans are more stable offensively with OAK on the floor? AD can score but he can't muscle his way close to the goal and score...he has to out jump everyone and shoot over the top. Randal is too out of control and turns the ball over. The sample size is small but I like this team tempo better.

We could pull off the fast tempo if we had guys that could make consistent jumpers, and our slow tempo would be even better if we could make jumpers.

Regardless of the style of play you use you still need guys to make shots. Period. You're not gonna get all layups you have to make shots. The reason Jahlil got off last night is because the Rockets have no interior defender without Capella. We were wise to dump it down there and let him work. When teams collapse on him we have to make open jumpers.

What are Oak's TO numbers? Couldn't find them with some light searching on my phone during a break. Last night seemed good but I recall one game he was a TO machine. Maybe just that one.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    What are Oak's TO numbers? Couldn't find them with some light searching on my phone during a break. Last night seemed good but I recall one game he was a TO machine. Maybe just that one.

They are 0.7. He doesn’t generally turn the ball over much. On his career his TO rate is 1.6. His per36 TO rate is 1.9 this year, and 2.7 on his career. This year he has a better per36 TO number than any major contributor to this team not named Frank Jackson, Moore, Miroric, Hill, or Miller.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 01-30-2019 at 10:52 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The talent was always there.

Thread Information